Must Haves for Maintaining Natural Hair

MzLady78

Okay, ladies.

So I going through a bought of temporary insanity the other day when I was saying I wasn't sure if I wanted to be natural anymore. :spinning:

But I was looking at some other naturals' heads and I really want to hang in there. I guess my problem is Ijust don't know what to use on my hair in it's natural state. I've been flat ironing even when I wear a wig just because I don't know what else to do with it. I do think that it's that lack of self confidence issue that I mentioned that's kept me from really wanting to work with my hair. But with the unfortunate and untimely deaths of Bernie Mac and Issac Hayes, I realized that life is too short to spend it worrying about what other people think.

So, having said all that, what do you think are the absolute must haves for natural hair, whether it's products, tools, accessories, whatever?

Last edited:
I'm usually a lurker here but I'll try my best to help you.
First thing that comes to mind is a denman brush or a seamless wide-tooth comb to detangle. Also a cheapie condish to cowash is usefull. several nice headband and hair accesories will help you spice up your looks. last but not least, try shea butter.
my hair absolutely loves it. I use it as a moisturizer after my cowash.
HTH

I'm not natural anymore, but these were/are my top must haves...

Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose Conditioner - VERY moisturizing. Thick, creamy and yummy smelling!

Aubrey Organics B5 Gel - A very light hold, but moisturizing gel. Helps the coils to pop and fights humidity pretty good.

Jojoba Oil - The best oil for me. It's a natural humectant, it's not very heavy or very light so it's effective enough to seal moisture, but won't make your hair greasy, it can penetrate and condition the hair and it gives shine/sheen. I apply it to my damp hair and I mix it with my deep conditioner :lick:

Wide toothed comb - I'm NOT a denman girl. The less teeth, the better. Make sure it's seamless! My hair isn't very tangly at all just using a comb.

Heating Cap/Dome dryer - For deep conditioning.

Coconut milk - Makes hair SO soft. Makes a very good pre poo!

NTM Shampoo - Easy to find... very gentle shampoo.

V05 Conditioners - Great for co washes

Giovanni Direct - Moisturizing, creamy leave in. I love it!

I'm usually a lurker here but I'll try my best to help you.
First thing that comes to mind is a denman brush or a seamless wide-tooth comb to detangle. Also a cheapie condish to cowash is usefull. several nice headband and hair accesories will help you spice up your looks. last but not least, try shea butter.
my hair absolutely loves it. I use it as a moisturizer after my cowash.
HTH

Aww, thanks for coming out of lurking to respond. :blowkiss:
I have a denman, a wide tooth comb and shea butter already, so I guess I'm off to a good start. :yep:

Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose Conditioner - VERY moisturizing. Thick, creamy and yummy smelling!

Aubrey Organics B5 Gel - A very light hold, but moisturizing gel. Helps the coils to pop and fights humidity pretty good.

Jojoba Oil - The best oil for me. It's a natural humectant, it's not very heavy or very light so it's effective enough to seal moisture, but won't make your hair greasy, it can penetrate and condition the hair and it gives shine/sheen. I apply it to my damp hair and I mix it with my deep conditioner :lick:

Wide toothed comb - I'm NOT a denman girl. The less teeth, the better. Make sure it's seamless! My hair isn't very tangly at all just using a comb.

I agree! I "no poo" which means I conditioner wash to help retain moisture, and I will update with my product list later.

Okay, got a dryer. I keep meaning to buy jojoba oil. I know a lot of ladies swear by it.

Also, specific techniques are welcome.

For example, I don't really know how to detangle my hair well. I know a lot of people braid it in sections when they wash, but my hair isn't really long enough to braid when it's wet.

MzLady, I'm glad that you've decided to stick it out a little bit longer. :yep: What is your hair type? I ask because the things that I find essential may not be so for you.

I have 4B hair that is very coarse, thick, and densely packed. When I wear a wash and go, I can pat and shape my hair and make it look like it's 1 and half inches thick, like Angela Davis. :D (which is how I'm wearing it right now). These are my essentials:
Other products that are good for my hair:
1. Qhemet Biologics - Olive Cream, Amla and Olive, and Honey/Olive Oil balm
2. Elucence Shampoo and Conditioner
3. Shea butter - for me, it has to be mixed with other oils and butters for it to really work. Otherwise I find that it sits on my head.
4. (unfortunately, due to price) Miss Jessie's Buttercreme - it works wonders on my hair. :yep:

Something else I find to be essential: an open mind! :yep: I say this because for the first time in three years, I'm getting my hair flat-ironed on Thursday. I am very, very guilty of not availing myself of all the different styling options for natural hair. I was too afraid of heat damage, etc. to even consider it in the past, but I wanted to try more than twists and braids. I hope to be able to take pictures and post them when I do this. :yep:

Also, specific techniques are welcome.

For example, I don't really know how to detangle my hair well. I know a lot of people braid it in sections when they wash, but my hair isn't really long enough to braid when it's wet.

I don't know how it is for others, but my hair shrinks up so much when I wash it that I don't even bother to detangle in sections, or do so in any formal way. I just so happen to detangle in sections with either the denman brush or the wide-tooth combed (I can't remember the name of it, but the brand was highly recommended on this forum). I end up brushing/combing the front, then the sides, and then the back. I suppose that it's about 5 sections when all is said and done, but I don't separate them into sections using elastics or anything.

Plus, I do so when my hair is saturated with conditioner.

I always detangle in sections.

Prevention is the best way to deal with tangles imo...

While I shampoo my hair I really only apply the shampoo to my scalp - Unless I'm clarifying... then I put a small pea sized amount througout my hair as well.

I wet and wash my hair in one direction and only manipulate the scalp.

When I apply my dc, I section my hair off, slather each section with conditioner and just lightly fingercomb it to get the big tangles out. I then twist the section and that's how I leave it for deep conditioning.

When I've rinsed my DC out, I once again section my hair and apply my leave in and oil, and detangle carefully from the ends up.

I fingercomb my hair every day, in small sections. Everytime I apply any product.

Don't let your hair have the opportunity to tangle and you'll have an easier time :yep:

Co-Washes-VO5 or Suave
Deep Conditioner-AOHSR
Oils-Jojoba Coconut Olive and Vatika
Moisturizer-Shealoe, Qhemets or Oyin Handmade
Sealing ends-Jamacian Black Castor Oil
Twisiting-Flax seed gel/jojoba oil
Scalp-Qhemets Alma Nourshing Pomade and Moegrow Oil
Monthly Protein treatment-AOGPB

MzLady, I'm glad that you've decided to stick it out a little bit longer. :yep: What is your hair type? I ask because the things that I find essential may not be so for you.

I have 4B hair that is very coarse, thick, and densely packed. When I wear a wash and go, I can pat and shape my hair and make it look like it's 1 and half inches thick, like Angela Davis. :D (which is how I'm wearing it right now). These are my essentials:
Other products that are good for my hair:
1. Qhemet Biologics - Olive Cream, Amla and Olive, and Honey/Olive Oil balm
2. Elucence Shampoo and Conditioner
3. Shea butter - for me, it has to be mixed with other oils and butters for it to really work. Otherwise I find that it sits on my head.
4. (unfortunately, due to price) Miss Jessie's Buttercreme - it works wonders on my hair. :yep:

Something else I find to be essential: an open mind! :yep: I say this because for the first time in three years, I'm getting my hair flat-ironed on Thursday. I am very, very guilty of not availing myself of all the different styling options for natural hair. I was too afraid of heat damage, etc. to even consider it in the past, but I wanted to try more than twists and braids. I hope to be able to take pictures and post them when I do this. :yep:

Your hair sounds about the same as mine so I think I'm probably a 4B also.

Looking forward to your flat iron pics! :yep:

Okay, ladies.

So I going through a bought of temporary insanity the other day when I was saying I wasn't sure if I wanted to be natural anymore. :spinning:

But I was looking at some other naturals' heads and I really want to hang in there. I guess my problem is Ijust don't know what to use on my hair in it's natural state. I've been flat ironing even when I wear a wig just because I don't know what else to do with it. I do think that it's that lack of self confidence issue that I mentioned that's kept me from really wanting to work with my hair. But with the unfortunate and untimely deaths of Bernie Mac and Issac Hayes, I realized that life is too short to spend it worrying about what other people think.

So, having said all that, what do you think are the absolute must haves for natural hair, whether it's products, tools, accessories, whatever?

Hey Girly - Been natural for almost 10 years.......So I thought I would put my 2 Cents in::yep:

Products -

In the last couple of years, I have moved away from commerical/Drugstore stuff. IMO - It is garbage. My hair has thrived in the absence of them.

So - Some products that I can think of are:

1. Natural oils..........Most of the ones raved on around the board. If you can eat it... it is pretty good for your hair. I would not eat Jojoba oil though. Some cultures do!
  2. Food......Avocados, AloeVera, Vegetable Glycerin, Bananas, coconut milk, yogurt Essential Oils, Ayruvedic powders, teas, Molasses, Honey, baking soda and homemade stuff are my staples.
  3. Non- Sulfate Shampoos... I use no Sulfates or stipping detergents whatsover. Castile soap is my hair's freind.:yep:
  4. Organic products - I try to keep things as natural as possible.
Moisturizers are key to great Natural tresses. I make all of my own.
A Great detangling conditioner is another key element to great natural hair.

Tools

1. Wide toothed seamless combs
  2. an Excellent boar Brush ( no Cheapies...Pay the money)
  3. A denman Brush
  4. knee highs for holding hair
  5. An Excellent hair wrap....Silk, etc.
  6. other tools for other styles - are optional IMO
Techniques:

1. Dependant on the length of your hair..... I only shampoo in Plaits or twists. I have been doing this for about 5 years. I never EVER wash my hair loose. ( www.growafrohairlong.com)
  2. Be PAITIENT with natural hair.
  3. Don't let you hair dry out.....
Good luck! Most of all - love your hair. Condition your hair for longer that 10 minutes! One hour minimum EVERY WEEK!!!It will love you back!

Last edited:
I don't know how it is for others, but my hair shrinks up so much when I wash it that I don't even bother to detangle in sections, or do so in any formal way. I just so happen to detangle in sections with either the denman brush or the wide-tooth combed (I can't remember the name of it, but the brand was highly recommended on this forum). I end up brushing/combing the front, then the sides, and then the back. I suppose that it's about 5 sections when all is said and done, but I don't separate them into sections using elastics or anything.

Plus, I do so when my hair is saturated with conditioner.

Gotcha, thanks!

Co-Washes-VO5 or Suave
Deep Conditioner-AOHSR
Oils-Jojoba Coconut Olive and Vatika
Moisturizer-Shealoe, Qhemets or Oyin Handmade
Sealing ends-Jamacian Black Castor Oil
Twisiting-Flax seed gel/jojoba oil
Scalp-Qhemets Alma Nourshing Pomade and Moegrow Oil
Monthly Protein treatment-AOGPB

Thanks for chiming in!

shingling is great if you woult like to wear your hair out often. my problem was that my hair was not long enough to pull back so when i ddint shingle i had no idea what to do with my hair :oP
Alos something that works well is to dentangle hair before going in the shower. not many naturals do this but i find it easier and better to do than under the shower head. while hair is still dirty just section hair in fours and slather a mix of baking soda and conditioner in each part and detangle. the rinse out and add another rinse of conditioner if desired. i lost less hair in general and my tub dosent get covered and clogged with hair. i only had 5 inches of hair but my hair is so thick and coarse i cant detangle and take a shower all at once.

Hey Girly - Been natural for almost 10 years.......So I thought I would put my 2 Cents in::yep:

Products -

In the last couple of years, I have moved away from commerical/Drugstore stuff. IMO - It is garbage. My hair has thrived in the absence of them.

So - Some products that I can think of are:

1. Natural oils..........Most of the ones raved on around the board. If you can eat it... it is pretty good for your hair. I would not eat Jojoba oil though. Some cultures do!
  2. Food......Avocados, AloeVera, Vegetable Glycerin, Bananas, coconut milk, yogurt Essential Oils, Ayruvedic powders, teas, Molasses, Honey, baking soda and homemade stuff are my staples.
  3. Non- Sulfate Shampoos... I use no Sulfates or stipping detergents whatsover. Castile soap is my hair's freind.:yep:
  4. Organic products - I try to keep things as natural as possible.
Moisturizers are key to great Natural tresses. I make all of my own.
A Great detangling conditioner is another key element to great natural hair.

Tools

1. Wide toothed seamless combs
  2. an Excellent boar Brush ( no Cheapies...Pay the money)
  3. A denman Brush
  4. knee highs for holding hair
  5. An Excellent hair wrap....Silk, etc.
  6. other tools for other styles - are optional IMO
Techniques:

1. Dependant on the length of your hair..... I only shampoo in Plaits or twists. I have been doing this for about 5 years. I never EVER wash my hair loose. ( www.growafrohairlong.com)
  2. Be PAITIENT with natural hair.
  3. Don't let you hair dry out.....
Good luck! Most of all - love your hair. Condition your hair for longer that 10 minutes! One hour minimum!!!It will love you back!

How would you suggest someone with shorter hair section it off?

I hear you on the natural products. :yep:

For me, Its important to have a great moisturizer like shea butter, sheamoisture leavein, vegetable glycerine and water, etc etc. Its important to have a great condtioner also. A denman is a must, along with a wide tooth comb. A satin scarf or bonnet too.

I am no t natural anymore. I got me a texlax on Friday but I had all types of headbands and scarfs for my hair girl. I rocked my afro with a carf tha tied in the back and a looooooooooot of headbands. I used essentials oils that were purchased from the health food store and I did flexirod sets. Hang in there and rock your fro. I was scared at first but when I wore it everyone told me that it was cute.

shingling is great if you woult like to wear your hair out often. my problem was that my hair was not long enough to pull back so when i ddint shingle i had no idea what to do with my hair :oP
Alos something that works well is to dentangle hair before going in the shower. not many naturals do this but i find it easier and better to do than under the shower head. while hair is still dirty just section hair in fours and slather a mix of baking soda and conditioner in each part and detangle. the rinse out and add another rinse of conditioner if desired. i lost less hair in general and my tub dosent get covered and clogged with hair. i only had 5 inches of hair but my hair is so thick and coarse i cant detangle and take a shower all at once.

What's shingling? I've never heard that term before.

For me, Its important to have a great moisturizer like shea butter, sheamoisture leavein, vegetable glycerine and water, etc etc. Its important to have a great condtioner also. A denman is a must, along with a wide tooth comb. A satin scarf or bonnet too.

Yeah, I've been bad about moisturizing, which I know is a big :nono:.

I am no t natural anymore. I got me a texlax on Friday but I had all types of headbands and scarfs for my hair girl. I rocked my afro with a carf tha tied in the back and a looooooooooot of headbands. I used essentials oils that were purchased from the health food store and I did flexirod sets. Hang in there and rock your fro. I was scared at first but when I wore it everyone told me that it was cute.

I want to try a flexirod set so bad. They look so cute on other people!

When my hair was longer I used to use those butterfly clips, like the ones we used to wear in the 80s. :grin: It's shorter now, so I use those metal duck bill clips. Part vertically (from the forehead back down through the middle of the head to the neck), then do a horizontal part from ear to ear. Then I wash one section at a time. It's too short for me to braid it, but at least with doing one section at a time, I don't get it tangled up so much.

When my hair was longer I used to use those butterfly clips, like the ones we used to wear in the 80s. :grin: It's shorter now, so I use those metal duck bill clips. Part vertically (from the forehead back down through the middle of the head to the neck), then do a horizontal part from ear to ear. Then I wash one section at a time. It's too short for me to braid it, but at least with doing one section at a time, I don't get it tangled up so much.

Cool. I will definitely try this.

You look so pretty in your siggy pic!

I have found that DC'ing under a hot hair dryer 1X week for 2 hours really helped soften my hair.

I wear wigs most of time and they are mostly curly so I can bantu up my hair underneath.

I only touch my hair 1X week most of the time. I got into brushing a couple of weeks ago but got out of it cause I didn't like all that hair in the brush!

I have no Idea... I am sorry. I never had really short hair..... I transitioned in Braids............. and had quite a bit of length when we chopped the relaxed ends off.

Girl get creative and jsut play. Life is to short. Just be free. If you google Miss Jessies, she has something on shingling I believe, but am not sure.

I think the most important must haves for maintaining natural hair are confidence, patience and TLC. Products are of course important too, but without the first three things I mentioned, hair health will not progress in my opinion. Products do not have to get complicated, the simple and inexpensive prods work best. I use wild growth oil, infusium 23 leave in, cholesterol conditioner, a cheapy suave conditioner to detangle, and my own mix which I put on my scalp. I use a few other prods depending on the hairstyle I have but thats pretty much it. Oh, and a heat protectant for those blow out days. Natural hair really takes patience and the hair and ends must be kept well moisturized.

Back