Must Have Leave-Ins for Natural Hair

Chimma

I'm tossing my Infusium-23 as soon as my big old bottle runs out, because I think the results that I get with this are mediocre. It works decently on my relaxed hair, but does nothing for my wooly mane. I want to know what your must have leave-in products are ladies to find a new product to buy without becoming a PJ. If you are transitioning and know how to take care of the natural part of your hair, I welcome you to post as well. I want us to all share the best types of leave-in products that we have found so that our hair will be slammin'.

Who gets curl definition, softness, little breakage, less shrinkage, and with what? Do you need only one product for all these benefits or do you mix it up with several?

What is your favorite pressing oil?

What have you tried that you rate negatively and what works well for you?

What is your hair type?

And last, but not least, who has tried Redken Smooth Down or Redken Extreme Anti-Snap? (On my list of products to try, especially Smooth Down, but the price is scaring me away)

Have you tried using Nexxus Humectress or glycerine? I wear my hair in twists so curl definition is not a priority for me and I do not have a lot of curl definiton normally. I do not press my hair since I do not have the time and patience to dry it and press it.

I have relaxed hair but I presently lovin Bumble and Bumble leave-in . Have any of the natural tried this with success?

Edited to add: I'm 3c/4a. Most of my hair is 5wks post relax with a under process section in the back that's about 21 wks post relaxed.

There are a lot of naturals that seem to lke the Bumble and Bumble leave-in. I have never tried it but it is on my list to try.

I love ABBA Nourishing Leave-In , but there again, many naturals do not like it because it has protein in it.

Hmm, I never heard of ABBA, and I can't really recall Bumble Bumble.

What hair types do you have? 2ab/3abc/4ab?
Did these help you in all ways - moisturizing, softness, anti-breakage, shrinkage, curl-definition or just some of them? If so which ways?

Is Nexxus Humectress good for moisturizing only, and what is glycerine?

I can only comment as a transitioner.

I really like Biolage Leave-In Tonic. This is great without anything added though sometimes I've added monoi oil. I have been replacing this expensive Biolage with various Pantene Leave-Ins. I really like the Conditioning Spray which is milky just like Biolage. I do add some Proclaim Oil to it to assist. This is working out well for me and saving me a lot of dough!

For a pressing oil, I would say Carol's Daughter Hair Milk. I have only used it once to straighten my hair using a curling iron. But, my hair was extremely silky! Definitely worth a try.

I am a hairtype 3.

Hey,

I think I would be considered a 3c/4a. I'm not sure. Maybe a 4a/4b/3c.

Check out my pics at www.geocities.com/nappgirlcurl

I have been using ABBA for a year and a half. It seems to meet all my needs as far as moisturizing, softness. I have not suffered from breakage since I have been natural (my last relaxer was Nov. 2000). As far as curl definition is concerned, my hair clumps together with or within the leave-in so I can't really claim it helps in that department. The ABBA doesn't reduce the amount of shrinkage I have but it doesn't increase it either.

I have tried a lot of leave-ins (Allways Natural Hair Oil - which I like but MANY folks don't like, Giovanni Leave-In - which was nice but not quite heavy enough and a bit expensive for the amount you get, Infusium 23 - I hated it for me personally, the Biolage Leave-In - too light and watery for my hair).

Oh - I would also say ABBA compares with Nexxus Humectress (I used to use Nexxus exclusively when I was relaxed - in high school).

If I think of some more that I have tried - I will post
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Chimma said:
Hmm, I never heard of ABBA, and I can't really recall Bumble Bumble.

What hair types do you have? 2ab/3abc/4ab?
Did these help you in all ways - moisturizing, softness, anti-breakage, shrinkage, curl-definition or just some of them? If so which ways?

Is Nexxus Humectress good for moisturizing only, and what is glycerine?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know if part of the above was directed at me but my answer would be: Be it wet or dry hair, Bumble and bumble makes my hair feel moisturized and soft. I use it in conjuction with an oil be it WGO or my new find Katazentz all natural braid oil (jojoba, olive, sesame, castor oils) I haven't assessed it for shrinkage or curl-definition.

I think Glycerin is a humectant. It was posted on this forum previously that it draws moisture from the air. A relative humidity percentage was given and if it's below that it was said that the glycerin on your hair would drawn the water out of your hair. Try a search with the word glycerin inside of quotation marks (" ") for further detail.

I have been natural for about 2 years now. I have finally found a regime/products that are working very well for my natural hair. I too at one time used infusium but i didn't like it. What i do now after washing/deep conditioning, is i section my hair and on each section i use Clairol Renewal 5X Daily Nourishing Leave-in conditioner. I saturate each section with it, and then i add some kind of oil, sweet almond, hot six, wonder 8 to each section. I then proceed to finger comb out the tangles. Afterwards, i comb with my bone comb very gently, and then i add WOC gel to each section from the roots to the tips, (it really eliminates alot of the shrinkage). I comb thru once, and then i add profectiv break-free hairdressing, (just a dap) and massage into each section and plait. I leave about 2 inches open and apply vaseline to my ends. Let me tell you i am lovin my natural hair. I use to dread wash day, now i look forward to it. I have also found that i need thick conditioners to deep condition my hair. Clairol Renewal 5X Intensive Hyrdrating conditioner is a charm.

I have to put my vote in for the Nexxus Humectress knock off from sallys. It is only 3.99 and has been my mainstay for months now
smile.gif

I love Bumble N Bumble...great slip and it mixes well with other products w/o buildup. I love that it's not watery like most leave ins. It's the only leave in that has worked for me.

I love Infusium leave in conditioner...but I have not really tried anything else...I also doctor it up with Rosemary Essential Oil and glycerin....so far the combination seems to work well...

I use shea butter now for my twist...and my hair is SUPER soft.

Sally's sells these generic products that are knockoff of the more expensive counterparts. They have some of the Nexxus line available and I love the Humectress knock off. It provides moisture and softness to my hair and it is cheap to boot!!!!

*bump* Anymore suggestions for leave-ins that great for natural hair types? I'm looking for something that doesn't contain protein or alcohol.

*Changing from my earlier post*
I like Aveda Elixir on my natural hair and Pantene Conditioning Spray on my relaxed hair.

Definitely pick up a jar of coconut oil. You can find it at stores like Whole Foods. This oil is light and makes the hair feel softer. I think it's best to use it on wet hair. I started reusing it again this week and I will never be without it again.
up.gif

Thanks, I've been meaning to find the pure, unrefined coconut oil but so far its only available online; there's no stores in my area that carries it. The ones I saw online cost an arm and a leg.

[ QUOTE ]
Natori24 said:
Thanks, I've been meaning to find the pure, unrefined coconut oil but so far its only available online; there's no stores in my area that carries it. The ones I saw online cost an arm and a leg.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dang. Do you live out in the sticks?
tongue.gif

Have you tried health food stores? Most of them should carry it. Get the Spectrum brand if possible. It's the only brand I've used and I'm very happy with it.

[ QUOTE ]
SVT said:
tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

laugh.gif
Yeah, lol. I called a local health food store they said the coconut oil they carry is the kind that comes in capsules. I thought that was strange.

[ QUOTE ]
Natori24 said:
[ QUOTE ]
SVT said:
tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

laugh.gif
Yeah, lol. I called a local health food store they said the coconut oil they carry is the kind that comes in capsules. I thought that was strange.

[/ QUOTE ]

Capsules but no jars? Truly weird.
nuts.gif

Maybe they could order a jar for you or at least a case to test the sales. Does the owner seem like the type to go that extra mile for a customer?

[ QUOTE ]
SVT said:
Maybe they could order a jar for you or at least a case to test the sales. Does the owner seem like the type to go that extra mile for a customer?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not exactly sure; I didn't call back. I might ask just in case. There have been instances where I asked a store if they could order something specifically and they said they don't "deal" with that particular vendor-I don't know about the health store though.

Back