Mud Hair Wash=NO DC?

For the ladies that use All natural products do any of you straighten your hair? If so what heat protectant do you use?

growinghealthyhair, I don't press with a flat iron. I use a straightening comb. The last time I used a product called Adiva Naturals which is just a blend of oils and butters. The previous time I used CD hair balm which I really liked.

I know in one of the other threads someone mentioned that grapeseed oil had a high temp value or something like that.

But for flat ironing I don't know.

Also are you able to do these washes in cornrows?

I have never done it with cornrows. I do know people use the mudwash with twist so it should be doable. You would just want to dilute the mud wash to a point that you could squeeze it through the cornrows and then you would have to rinse very well.

But if you only wear cornrows a few weeks at a time, then you can just use another shampoo or conditioner while wearing the cornrows and then use the mud wash when you take them out.

I am looking for this answer also. So far, grapeseed oil is the only thing I could find that was 100% organic as mentioned by faithVA, but I am not to sure this will prevent heat damage. I am only looking to flat iron 3 - 4 time per year but don't want to have to detox again.

Found Mixed Chicks Straightening Serum when searching Curlmart (ingredients below), but not to sure if is compatible with the mud wash. Any thoughts?

water, glycerin, sodium laneth-40 maleate, styrene sulfonate copolymer, propylene glycol, guar hydroxypropyltrimonium chloride, corn starch modified, dehydroxanthan gum, polysorbate-20, caprylyl glycol, caprylhydroxamic acid, hydrolyzed keratin, silk amino acids, hydrastis canadensis (golden seal) extract, humulus lupulus (hops) extract, chamomilla recutita (matricaria) extract, rosmarinum officinalis (rosemary) extract, hamamelis virginia (witch hazel) extract, fragrance

Ingredient Attribute: Paraben Free
Silicone Free
Sulfate Free

For the ladies that use All natural products do any of you straighten your hair? If so what heat protectant do you use?

@makeupvixen I'm all ears!:grin: Some people state somewehere(here: http://no-poo.livejournal.com/338140.html ) that their extracts are liquid/alcoholic and there is 10% in the mix.

(I copy and paste:"All their hair washes have alcohol-based extract in them. Over the phone, in fact, the rep told me that a bottle of hair wash was about 10% alcohol. That's a big number and might be a mistake. I've emailed the company to double check and haven't heard back yet--will post answer if & when they respond." )

If I wash my hair with clay and aloe juice only, it seems like I need to add something that "breaks the sticky gunk". I am trying to add ACV for that reason. I wonder if the alcoholic nature of those extracts is what breaks the gunk. Maybe this would also explain why there are no preservatives (since alcohol preserves), who knows.
At the moment it seems like it needs something slippery, something that breaks the gunk, something moisturizing, something liquid, the clay and I wonder if it needs to be preserved. Hmmm.

I've read the history on the link you gave me and I think that they are absolutely right, there's a lot of alcohol in it, like the 10% they mentioned. The aloe vera would spoil and have a low shelf life if it didn't. So with that being said I switched back to the extracts with alcohol in them to the recipe.

has anyone mixed benonite clay with a cone-free conditioner? i'm wondering if mixing some condish (like nourish spa), clay, aloe vera juice and a little acv (i notice that benonite clay dissolves much better in acv) would provide some of the benefits but also help give the smooth consistency that just clay and water don't have.

i'm fine if i can create a less than perfect knock off. all i want to do is be able to skip deep conditioning. going in and out and in and out of the shower is not the business.

Ok so I hate not tell you ladies what I have been working on so I'm going to upload each recipe I try on a blog that I don't use http://thenaturalhairvixen.blogspot.com/2011/11/mud-wash-november-2011.html

Every time I make a different batch I will add it there so you ladies can have ideas on how to make your own version.

I like the one in the videos I listed here a few days ago so if I tweak that lady's version I will post the tweaked recipe on that blog. I have the blog and I'm not using it so I figured I can post natural recipes there in the future... just a thought.

has anyone mixed benonite clay with a cone-free conditioner? i'm wondering if mixing some condish (like nourish spa), clay, aloe vera juice and a little acv (i notice that benonite clay dissolves much better in acv) would provide some of the benefits but also help give the smooth consistency that just clay and water don't have.

i'm fine if i can create a less than perfect knock off. all i want to do is be able to skip deep conditioning. going in and out and in and out of the shower is not the business.

I tried it with my KBB Luscious Locks Hair Mask and didn't care for it. I wanted to try it with a conditioner with No silicone and No parabens. It was ok but I just didn't really care for it.

The best dupe it the Shea Moisture Purification Mask for me. Plus when they have that BOGO sale I buy up the store, LOL

I'm still working on the specifics to the recipe but it's Almost identical to the Terressential ingredient list, so very close. But the hint is it's not just bentonite clay in it, if you look at the back of the label it says clay minerals...

So I have been breaking down what those minerals consist of. Bentonite, Rhassoul and a small amount of Kaolin. I love being a college student because it gives me access to my Science Lab and the professor's advice, YAY.

The Lemon is my favorite so that's the one I'm working on duping.

When I have officially unlocked the key I will tell you gals and then release a video. But as most people that know me, I hate giving out misinformation and wrong stuff. So I would rather be 100% certain before I go telling people what my dupe recipe is without having tested it for a good period of time.

I live in Los Angeles and have a lot of access to those holistic stores and I'm getting my ingredients from them. I did substitute only a few items because I wanted added slip so I added marshmallow root (boiled and strained in aloe vera concentrate) and I also added hibiscus. Even took some chamomile and boiled it in the aloe juice. I'm thinking about boiling in some rose but again, I have to test it. I don't just want to whip up something on a whim and call it something. I like to test, test, and re-test, then test some more.

But again, I will let you ladies be the first to know once I have perfected everything and tested it properly.
I am in the OC now but used to live in Inglewood for years :yep: If you need someone to help test your goods let me know

I am in the OC now but used to live in Inglewood for years :yep: If you need someone to help test your goods let me know

Ok, that's fine. I'm probably going to be ordering some Scentsy from you later though. I want to get a large Set and we can talk about the dupe scents from Bath and Body Works and Yankee Candle.

I was just at Downtown Disney on Tuesday, and if it's not raining while I'm on holiday break I will let you know when I take my son there again. You might be able to twist my arm about buying the Lavender Garden off me, LOL. I'm undecided if i want to sell it or keep it in case it starts to work for me in the future.... ARGH! Brain rantings of a Product Junkie, LOL

Ok, that's fine. I'm probably going to be ordering some Scentsy from you later though. I want to get a large Set and we can talk about the dupe scents from Bath and Body Works and Yankee Candle.

I was just at Downtown Disney on Tuesday, and if it's not raining while I'm on holiday break I will let you know when I take my son there again. You might be able to twist my arm about buying the Lavender Garden off me, LOL. I'm undecided if i want to sell it or keep it in case it starts to work for me in the future.... ARGH! Brain rantings of a Product Junkie, LOL

Shameful but we haven't been to disney since we moved :look: Too expensive though we did go to Downtown Disney to hit the build a bear and the rainforest cafe in maybe June-ish.

I have a ton of testers so i can bring some for you to smell. Maybe we can grab lunch with the kiddies at rain forest cafe next time you are over this way :yep:

Ok ladies, I need your guidance! I bought my Lavendar mud wash and was in mini twists for 5 weeks, so I couldn't use it until this week. I did the 3 washes on Wednesday & my hair was super dry :nono: The only product I used after the wash was the Terressentials Shea Butter Moisturizing Cream. It helped, but not by much...I got nervous & skipped 2 days. I now have it back in my hair now and am going to leave it in for 60 minutes as per the site to speed up the detox. But is a 60 min wash the same as the 3 short washes? The company website is less than clear on this...I got through several pages in this thread and realized it is 52 PAGES LONG! I was like I ain't got time to read all that right now :lachen: If you have any insight, please share :lol:

Well i tried too make a cheaper verison with pure aloe juice organic from publix greenwise section with 5% organic lemon juice and nothing else with bentonite avocado oil rosemary tea tree lavender and cedarwood oil, well my scalp and hair is clean but my crown is acting up again,therefore I will need to purchase terressential because I can't risk jacking up my crown.

ok I think the 5th time is the charm, lol. I think I'm done mixing and got the closest dupe for my version, listed it on my blog.

Also I was reading Naptural85's blog last night and she was answering the numerous questions she gets about Terressentials. She said she might make her own version in the future, can't wait to see what she comes up with (although she likes the lavender and my hair hates the lavender).

Happy Black Friday shopping ladies! I'm on the hunt for Rhassoul Clay like no one's business. Anita Grant might have a sale but I really want hairrogant to have a sale so I can get it sooner. All this experimenting has me using up my good Anita Grant.

ok I think the 5th time is the charm, lol. I think I'm done mixing and got the closest dupe for my version, listed it on my blog.

Also I was reading Naptural85's blog last night and she was answering the numerous questions she gets about Terressentials. She said she might make her own version in the future, can't wait to see what she comes up with (although she likes the lavender and my hair hates the lavender).

Happy Black Friday shopping ladies! I'm on the hunt for Rhassoul Clay like no one's business. Anita Grant might have a sale but I really want hairrogant to have a sale so I can get it sooner. All this experimenting has me using up my good Anita Grant.
makeupvixen how do I link to your blog?

makeupvixen
I 1st purchased mine from fromnaturewithlove.com (5 lbs - $75), but their costs are too high for me (I buy in bulk - 5 lbs). I'm waiting 'til Friday to see if camdengrey.com (5 lbs-$32) or brambleberry.com (5 lbs - $52.80) has a BF sale. If not, I'm ordering from one of them. I'm down to one use.

I've ordered from all three of these vendors before and they have very fast shipping.

Good luck with your mixture. I can't live w/out doing a mask weekly or bi-weekly. It's a permanent staple in my regimen.

@makeupvixen how do I link to your blog?

Sorry, I'm not getting my notifications as frequent anymore for some odd reason. The link is here http://thenaturalhairvixen.blogspot.com/ every time I try a different batch I will post it on this blog.

Oh and just to let you ladies know I did post a good hand full, like more than 15 of the Black Friday sites, codes, and info on my other blog that I actually use, lol. http://www.makeupvixen.blogspot.com/ just an FYI though. I hardly use it but need a blog to post things and document hair challenges I do (like the hairlista one for JBCO grow outs)

Ok, let me take my butt to sleep. It's the first night my mom is watching my toddler and I dont know what to do with myself all alone at home. I;m washing a load of clothes, how exciting, lol.

@makeupvixen
I 1st purchased mine from fromnaturewithlove.com (5 lbs - $75), but their costs are too high for me (I buy in bulk - 5 lbs). I'm waiting 'til Friday to see if camdengrey.com (5 lbs-$32) or brambleberry.com (5 lbs - $52.80) has a BF sale. If not, I'm ordering from one of them. I'm down to one use.

I've ordered from all three of these vendors before and they have very fast shipping.

Good luck with your mixture. I can't live w/out doing a mask weekly or bi-weekly. It's a permanent staple in my regimen.

thank you so much, I will check them out. I've been waiting for mountainroseherbs.com because I want that aloe vera powder to try and some other herbs. I hate ordering from a bunch of different places but hey if they don't have it soon I have no choice.

Anita Grant is suppose to release her Black Friday info soon so hopefully I can catch it there or at Hairrogant. Sage Naturalceuticals just said they wont have any Anita Grant until after Black Friday and they dont have the large block I want. If I can get that large block I will be set on making my homemade mix for like 2 years.

ok of in the midst of the Black Friday madness I was able to finally get Sage Naturalceuticals on the phone and place my Terressential order at a discounted rate, even with the price being higher for it with the discount it still came out less than if I was to buy ot straight from Terressentials. Yay

The only problem is that the local gals in Atlanta and phone orders scored all of the Left Coast Lemon. I took ALL of the remiaining unscented since I have the EO's at home to make the Left Coast Lemon myself. When I talked to the lady over the phone she told me that there is a high demand for the large bottles and they will carry the large bottles soon and will be placing a restock order on Monday.

I tried to contact Naughty Naturals in Canada and they are having a Black Friday sale on Terressentials as well. Sadly they are having paypal issues and my order wouldn't go through. I contacted them via FaceBook and they told me to give them an email and they would straighten it out. I don't know if it's meant to be, I have to think about it, but they are at least offering me free products for my troubles. I'm still undecided if IA want to buy it because I have 3 small unscented coming from Sage, but who can resist both a discount and free products.... ARGH, the PJ desease willbe the death of me, LOL.

Lastly, I have read Naptural85's blog and her love for the Anita Grant Rhassoul Cubes. I have some that I have added to my own bentonite mix and some I tried alone (with water or coconut milk). This stuff is POWERFUL. So of course I waited for Anita to release her Black Friday info and I purchased the 3 cubes of the Rhassoul in Marshmallow, Banana, and Raspberry. If I like the other cubes then I will buy the block for Black Friday 2012. Oh and when I was on the phone with Sage, they told me they will also carry the block soon. Their first Anita Grant shipment is due the first week on December and when they place their second order they will order the block.

So I guess I'm falling into being a Hardcore Mudder, lol.

@makeupvixen, I wonder why Sage Naturalceuticals won't allow you to purchase the Terressentials via internet but you can purchase in store and phone order only.:perplexed

I'm glad they'll be selling the larger bottles I'll just have to persuade my sis to buy and send to me.

I used the Terressentials about 2 hours ago and my hair feels great(I followed Naptural85's routine: acv then the mud wash); loving the smell of the Left Coast Lemon.:grin: I decided not to detox because I use natural products already. Detangling was a breeze and I used conditioner(Oyin's Honey Hemp) out of habit and I'll be using Qhemet's heavy cream to twist and sealing with JBCO.

My hair loves clays and I've thought about Anita Grant's Rhassoul cubes so I'll purchase some in the near future.

@makeupvixen, I wonder why Sage Naturalceuticals won't allow you to purchase the Terressentials via internet but you can purchase in store and phone order only.:perplexed

I'm glad they'll be selling the larger bottles I'll just have to persuade my sis to buy and send to me.

I used the Terressentials about 2 hours ago and my hair feels great(I followed Naptural85's routine: acv then the mud wash); loving the smell of the Left Coast Lemon.:grin: I decided not to detox because I use natural products already. Detangling was a breeze and I used conditioner(Oyin's Honey Hemp) out of habit and I'll be using Qhemet's heavy cream to twist and sealing with JBCO.

My hair loves clays and I've thought about Anita Grant's Rhassoul cubes so I'll purchase some in the near future.

It's because the USA merchants have an agreement not to sell it online, only Terressentials will sell the mud wash online for now. They have hopes to change it in the future though.

I love me some Left Coast Lemon. the unscented is my second favorite. I like the test ones I have been trying but I'm still trying to scale back the products and the amount of stuff I use. I keep making large batches and I have enough for 3 months. I'm going to alternate my batch, then use Terressentials, then use Shea Moisture Purification Mask.

I use my conditioners still. I need them and refuse to give up my Oyin, SheScentIt and KBB Luscious Locs, LOL. On the day I use my Anita Grant I use my steamer with my KBB, it's heaven. I still like to leave in my conditioner too an I guess as long as it's all natural it doesnt matter. Oh and I didn't do the detox either, it's really not a must and can be took harsh for a lot of people. I'm good with just mudding once week now and using my Anita Grant once a month.

I use JBCO too, lol, it's heaven. I just started mixing my JBCO with Emu oil, OMG, I'm loving the results I'm getting around my edges (chemo took my edges out in the right side). I used NuGro before and it was good at getting the hair to grow where I have calusis and now I don't because of NuGro but it didn't do jack for my edges, the JBCO and Emu oil is fixing that and I think Terressentials is helping as well.

I think in 2012 I'm only going to be doing the "proven" Best of as my hair care reggie. So Terressentials, KBB Luscious Locks, Anita Grant Rhassoul, JBCO (with emu oil), steaming, and my version of the KimmayTibe inspired mix (2 tbs kckt, 2 tbs aloe vera juice, 1 tbs jbco, 1 tbs hemp seed oil). Then for my butter that will be the only thing I alternate.

*****I think I'm babbling just to get me to stop Black Friday shopping, LOL. As long as I'm on the boards typing I can't buy anything, lol

Oh and I did place my order with Nothing Naugthy Naturals after talking with them. They fixed the issue and with the BF discount I was able to get my Left coast lemon shipped to me for only $3 more than I would if I ordered from Terressentials directly.

NO MORE BLACK FRIDAY SHOPPING.!!

Once my Left Coast Lemon comes let me know if anyone wants to buy a Large Lavender Garden (unused) from me. I guess that will help me justify my ordering, lol, I'm going to sell the one I don't like, lol.

Went to Sage and got two bottles of lemon. That should hold me off for at least 7 months since I am only going to use it once a month as a clarifier (SP off) in the winter and possibly I may use it more in the spring/summer
I can't wait for her to sell the bigger bottle.

Went to Sage and got two bottles of lemon. That should hold me off for at least 7 months since I am only going to use it once a month as a clarifier (SP off) in the winter and possibly I may use it more in the spring/summer
I can't wait for her to sell the bigger bottle.

It was you! It was you that stole my left coast lemon, lol, kidding.

I hope they carry the bigger bottled and during their next sell I will think about getting it. I decided to gift some to my family so I wont be some weird hoarder, lol.

It was you! It was you that stole my left coast lemon, lol, kidding.

I hope they carry the bigger bottled and during their next sell I will think about getting it. I decided to gift some to my family so I wont be some weird hoarder, lol.

When I first read it I got scared because there was ALOT of forum women there this morning. You can tell a forum woman with the hair talk, ingredient reading, them checking out your hair. LOL It was AWESOME to see. but umm yea it was me! LOL
I wonder when the next sale will be because she has my staples. I hate ordering on line.

When I first read it I got scared because there was ALOT of forum women there this morning. You can tell a forum woman with the hair talk, ingredient reading, them checking out your hair. LOL It was AWESOME to see. but umm yea it was me! LOL
I wonder when the next sale will be because she has my staples. I hate ordering on line.

LOL, yeah you know when you are around use forum gals, lol. Sometime I have to remember where I am. I was at my friend's thanksgiving dinner last night when some one said "Oh yeah I like organic stuff" I went into a how spill on Terressentials, cones, mineral oil, wash n gos and was going on and on and on, then after about 40 mins of me talking she said "oh, I haven't gotten into hair stuff but I like more organic food". Ooppssss, LOL. I'm yacking about hair and she was so nice to listen to me go on and on about something she had no clue of interest in, lol.

Oh I would probably google sage naturalceuticals sales to get an idea on when they have sales so I will know when to save my money.

LOL, yeah you know when you are around use forum gals, lol. Sometime I have to remember where I am. I was at my friend's thanksgiving dinner last night when some one said "Oh yeah I like organic stuff" I went into a how spill on Terressentials, cones, mineral oil, wash n gos and was going on and on and on, then after about 40 mins of me talking she said "oh, I haven't gotten into hair stuff but I like more organic food". Ooppssss, LOL. I'm yacking about hair and she was so nice to listen to me go on and on about something she had no clue of interest in, lol.

Oh I would probably google sage naturalceuticals sales to get an idea on when they have sales so I will know when to save my money.

LMBO!!! YEs we get carried away sometimes!! I do the samething and have to remind my self not everone is as hair obsessed as I am. Thats why we have a forum for us hair addicts!!! LOL I will call Cindy and just ask when is the next sale. I will post a new thread once she lets me know.

OKay, I've read the majority of the pages in this thread and I'm going to give LCL and Lavender a try. Nakia has me eyeing that Mint flavour too! Oh, what to buy?

Back