Mud Hair Wash=NO DC?

ok, so... just a little note.
I tried to go conditioner free after this detox phase (like Naptural85) but it just doesn't work for me. my ends become brittle, no matter how much whipped mango butter, castor oil, flax seed gel or aloe juice or liquid spray I use on them. I need a creamy thick conditioner as a leave in especially with the mud wash, 100% of the time, or I get split ends like crazy (I have tried to go conditioner free 3 times in the past 3 years and I had to dust my ends all 3 times), butter + gel only gives me a greasy crunch after a while (I get excited and then I realize it's too early to get excited), and aloe juice is fine once but if I keep adding it everyday I get frizzy hair (I am protein sensitive). I plan to keep using natural conditioner.

Can you ladies tell me what products are you using? I hate mixing things and I am not a huge fan of butters. I have fine hair. I would like to use shea moisture, SSI, curl junkie and a few other brands. As you can see I am not ready to part with some products or my pj ways.

destine2grow I like SSI coco creme leave in its nice and light also Oyin hair dew.

I'll seal with a light oil like sweet almond or walnut and use something heavier like Oyin burnt sugar pomade or Qhemet AOHC on my ends.

I dont find that they adversly affect the efficiency of the wud wash. BTW i do one or 2 washes with diluted Dr bronners castile soap focussing on my scalp first, only because I want to save the mud wash for my hair.:look: and sometimes I find that I dont get a good clean scalp from just one mud wash

I'm thinking that I'm going to start using the mud more frequent & do away with my AO conditioner. 1st of all I found out that the 1st ingredient in it isn't so "natural" after all. 2nd of all, my hair actually feels better after a lavender mud wash than it does after a co-wash or DC with the AO.

I want to use the mud during the week in place of co washes & then just do a moisturizing DC once a week. I'm looking for a good homemade mix for my weekly DC. So if any of you ladies have any recipes that you want to share, please let me know. I know I'm going to use Naptural's (from YT) recipe for protein as needed. She has a yogurt recipe for conditioning but I'm afraid of the build up or do you think I should be worried since I'll be using the mud twice per week?

Nakia, what is not so "natural" about that first product in this conditioner? I have seen where others have complained about it leaving a film on their hair while using this wash.

Can you ladies tell me what products are you using? I hate mixing things and I am not a huge fan of butters. I have fine hair. I would like to use shea moisture, SSI, curl junkie and a few other brands. As you can see I am not ready to part with some products or my pj ways.

I am using Zuresh conditioner and Leave-In. But looking for a new conditioner.
I use KCCC or Joie Naturals Gel for my twists.
I use SM Mist during the week. But I also just use AVG + oil.
But I also use a lot of oils and butters. I finally figured out how to use them for my hair.

Thanks for responding faithVA & SimJam. I am on the website now and just want to make sure that I have some products already. I am trying not to purchase the new iphone if I don't I will definitely make this purchase or it will have to wait for next month if I purchase the iphone. Plus I already ordered some makeup today from QVC.

I placed my order on the 11th and it was delayed because of the lavender wash. No update from terressentials. I emailed them. I was wondering if anyone has received their order that contained lavender?

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

I placed my order on the 11th and it was delayed because of the lavender wash. No update from terressentials. I emailed them. I was wondering if anyone has received their order that contained lavender?

This is the one I want to try. I decided not to be all greedy and order more than one wash since this will be my first time trying it. I don't know if I should wait until you ladies recieve your order before I order :ohwell:. What do you think?

destine2grow, I don't think you need to give up your favorites if they're full of good stuff for the most part. In my case for leave-in I rotate among DB leave in, SSI coco cream and moisture mist, Oyin Dew or Enso Naturals Hibiscus leave-in. For protein DC, I rotate among Komaza Intense Moisture or SSI okra reconstructor or fortifying mask. For moisture DCs, I rotate among a bunch of my faves...KBB, Komaza Olive, Boe Crece Pelo and now SD Vanilla Silk Moisture Dream. For sealing, I use light oils like argan and camellia, SD Nourish or non-petroleum jelly. Don't believe all are 100% natural but they seem to play well with the mud.

hair4today thanks for the info. This is really good to know. I was watch dawnyle on youtube and she gave up a lot of good products. I also watch a few other ppl as well and I was curious about that. I guess I will go ahead and order once I decide about this iphone. I just can't make any decisions today.

@hair4today thanks for the info. This is really good to know. I was watch dawnyle on youtube and she gave up a lot of good products. I also watch a few other ppl as well and I was curious about that. I guess I will go ahead and order once I decide about this iphone. I just can't make any decisions today.

Everyone has a different journey. As she said you don't have to give up all your products. You don't have to actually give up anything. It's up to you.

There are some of us that find we don't need all of the products. And some of us don't want all of the products. I am a minimalist so the more I can get rid of the better.

But you have to work it for you.

I'm using QB Burdock Root Butter Cream as a Leave-In and sealing w/ Shea butter or coconut oil. When my hair is loose, I use my aloe flax gel (thicked w/ Xanthan gum) to style. I'm current doing a twisting challenge, so I just dc, wash w/ the mud, apply my leave-ins and retwist.

Just adding quickly....I tried the terressentials body wash and my skin felt so clean. I have really dry skin on my legs, literally 3 minutes out of the shower my legs and arms will have this white dry ash on them (if I don't moisturized). I didn't have the dry ash, that I normally would have. I love this stuff!! (hate the smell of sultry spice, it stays with you).

I also tried their sampler of facial products. Don't buy it's not worth the money and the amounts are really small.

BUT the facial wash was excellent! The only time my face really feels that deep down clean is when I use mud or exfoliate. The wash was excellent. The toner and lotion, don't think it's worth the money, you can find natural alternatives. The cream (anti-aging) lotion I like it; but I wouldn't buy it.

Just adding quickly....I tried the terressentials body wash and my skin felt so clean. I have really dry skin on my legs, literally 3 minutes out of the shower my legs and arms will have this white dry ash on them (if I don't moisturized). I didn't have the dry ash, that I normally would have. I love this stuff!! (hate the smell of sultry spice, it stays with you).

I also tried their sampler of facial products. Don't buy it's not worth the money and the amounts are really small.

BUT the facial wash was excellent! The only time my face really feels that deep down clean is when I use mud or exfoliate. The wash was excellent. The toner and lotion, don't think it's worth the money, you can find natural alternatives. The cream (anti-aging) lotion I like it; but I wouldn't buy it.

This is completely OT, but I had to comment--Your siggy is :lachen:!!!!

@nakialovesshoes... updating on the cool mint/lavender mix. I just finished my wash. I used 1/3 oz cool mint and 2/3 oz lavender diluted with 1 oz water and the result was fantabulous. My curls were popping all over the place, my hair detangler like a dream and my scalp was soooo clean and happy..it's still tingling post wash which I love. This mix is a winning combo for me..hope it works for you.

@hair4today I tried mixing the two today & I loved the results, too. I don't have a ratio, though. I used more of the mint b/c I put it on first. Then I layered on a little of the lavender. My curls were popping & my hair felt like butter. But it doesn't stay that way. I really need to find a good creamy leave-in sans the "bad" stuff. :look:

@destine2grow I like SSI coco creme leave in its nice and light also Oyin hair dew.

I'll seal with a light oil like sweet almond or walnut and use something heavier like Oyin burnt sugar pomade or Qhemet AOHC on my ends.

I dont find that they adversly affect the efficiency of the wud wash. BTW i do one or 2 washes with diluted Dr bronners castile soap focussing on my scalp first, only because I want to save the mud wash for my hair.:look: and sometimes I find that I dont get a good clean scalp from just one mud wash

@SimJamI've decided to start back putting some diluted mud in an applicator bottle specifically for my scalp b/c I'm thinking that my scalp is not getting clean enough either.

Nakia, what is not so "natural" about that first product in this conditioner? I have seen where others have complained about it leaving a film on their hair while using this wash.

@Ashawn Arraine In another thread, someone posted this link about coconut fatty acid cream base. It is the top ingredient in some AO conditioners. Also, there has been some boycotting by an organic consumers group about the fact that certain companies out there are very misleading with their "organic" claims (i.e. Giovanni & Avlon to name a couple). I didn't see AO named in this particular boycott but this article sparked my attention. Maybe it's not serious. I don't know. I do know that, though the AO makes my hair soft, it does leave an itchy build-up on my scalp & I will not be buying again.

@destine2grow, I don't think you need to give up your favorites if they're full of good stuff for the most part. In my case for leave-in I rotate among DB leave in, SSI coco cream and moisture mist, Oyin Dew or Enso Naturals Hibiscus leave-in. For protein DC, I rotate among Komaza Intense Moisture or SSI okra reconstructor or fortifying mask. For moisture DCs, I rotate among a bunch of my faves...KBB, Komaza Olive, Boe Crece Pelo and now SD Vanilla Silk Moisture Dream. For sealing, I use light oils like argan and camellia, SD Nourish or non-petroleum jelly. Don't believe all are 100% natural but they seem to play well with the mud.

What does SSI stand for? I think SD is the new line from the LHCF member, right? Are her products prettymuch chem free?

Last edited:
In another thread, someone posted this link about coconut fatty acid cream base. It is the top ingredient in some AO conditioners. Also, there has been some boycotting by an organic consumers group about the fact that certain companies out there are very misleading with their "organic" claims (i.e. Giovanni & Avlon to name a couple). I didn't see AO named in this particular boycott but this article sparked my attention. Maybe it's not serious. I don't know. I do know that, though the AO makes my hair soft, it does leave an itchy build-up on my scalp & I will not be buying again.

All of the AO conditioners do not containt the coconut fatty acid cream base. I believe White Camellia and the GPB do not. If I don't find another conditioner I do plan on trying one of those.

If you find a good (natural) conditioner, especially something you can buy locally please let me know.

@nakialovesshoes.

"What does SSI stand for? I think SD is the new line from the LHCF member, right? Are her products prettymuch chem free?"

SSI refers to shescentit. I believe the owner is a LCHF member who formed her own company a few years ago so she has been around for a while. Her products are wonderful, they're natural and she uses some of the best ingredients around. I like her products because she tends to use a light touch with her ingredients rather than heavy greasy butters and oils which doesn't work for my light strands. Her leave ins and conditioners are the bomb.com.There is a thread in the vendors section where a few members discusses favorite products that you can check out.

SD refers to Silk Dreams. Another LCHF member, Supergirl, who recently launched her line in July/August of this year. Her products are getting rave reviews. I think initially she was catering to the relaxed community but because of demands has added products tailored to naturals. Her products are not all natural but the thing with Silk Dreams is her scents. They are to die for. If you plan to try anything from her line you've got to try the Nourish oil in Dreamy Decadence. simply delish!

Last edited:
@nakialovesshoes @faithVA

little off topic:
I once received a bottle of Aubrey Organics conditioner with a sticker which reported the full ingredient list. Being an ingredient junkie, I looked for information on the infamous coconut fatty acid base and a random online shop had the full list of ingredients, which was the same as my sticker. I saved it since I wanted to make my own Honeysuckle concoction in the kitchen (miserable fail but I'll save that story for some other day):

Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose Moisturising Conditioner: Coconut Fatty Acid Cream Base, Organic Aloe Vera, Organic Shea Butter, Wheat Germ Oil, Organic Jojoba Oil, Organic Rosa Mosqueta® Rose Hip Seed Oil; Extracts of Fennel, Hops, Balm Mint, Mistletoe, Camomile, Yarrow, Chrysanthemum, Angelica, Forsythia and Magnolia; Honeysuckle Oil, Carrot Oil, Aubrey's Preservative (Citrus Seed Extract, Vitamins A, C and E).

Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose Moisturising Conditioner: Full Ingredient Listing INCI: Aqua, Butyrospernum Parkii, Cetyl Alcohol, Aloe Barbadensis, Glyceryl Linoleate, Glyceryl Linolenate, Glycerin, Triticum Vulgare Oil, Hamamelis Virginiana, Simmondsia Chinensis*, Rosa Moschata Oil*, Foeniculum Vulgare, Humulus Lupulus Extract, Melissa Officinalis Extract, Viscum Album Extract, Anthemis Nobilis Extract, Achillea Millefolium Extract, Chrysanthemum Parthenium Extract, Angelica Acutiloba Extract, Forsythia Suspensa Fruit Extract, Magnolia Biondii Extract, Lonicera Japonica Oil, Tocopherol Acetate, Retinyl Palmitate, Daucus Carota Oil, Citrus Grandis, Retinyl Acetate, Ascorbic Acid.
*Organically Grown and Processed in Accordance with US National Organic Programme Administered By US Department Of Agriculture.

Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose Moisturising Shampoo: Full Ingredient Listing: Deionized Water, Coconut Oil-Corn Oil Soap, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein (made from organic, non-GMO soybeans), Organic Aloe Vera, Carrageenan, Honeysuckle Oil, Organic Rosa Mosqueta® Rose Hip Seed Oil; Extracts of Fennel, Hops, Balm Mint, Mistletoe, Camomile, Yarrow, Ginkgo, Ginseng, Angelica, Chrysanthemum, Magnolia, Horsetail, Coltsfoot and Forsythia; Vegetable Glycerin, Sweet Almond Oil, Linoleic Acid (Vitamin F), Vitamin E, Aloe Vera Oil, Macadamia Nut Oil, Organic Rosemary Oil, Organic Sage Oil, Aubrey's Preservative (Citrus Seed Extract, Vitamins A, C and E).

Last edited:

little off topic:
I once received a bottle of Aubrey Organics conditioner with a sticker which reported the full ingredient list. Being an ingredient junkie, I looked for information on the infamous coconut fatty acid base and a random online shop had the full list of ingredients, which was the same as my sticker. I saved it since I wanted to make my own Honeysuckle concoction in the kitchen (miserable fail but I'll save that story for some other day):

Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose Moisturising Conditioner: Coconut Fatty Acid Cream Base, Organic Aloe Vera, Organic Shea Butter, Wheat Germ Oil, Organic Jojoba Oil, Organic Rosa Mosqueta® Rose Hip Seed Oil; Extracts of Fennel, Hops, Balm Mint, Mistletoe, Camomile, Yarrow, Chrysanthemum, Angelica, Forsythia and Magnolia; Honeysuckle Oil, Carrot Oil, Aubrey's Preservative (Citrus Seed Extract, Vitamins A, C and E).

Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose Moisturising Conditioner: Full Ingredient Listing INCI: Aqua, Butyrospernum Parkii, Cetyl Alcohol, Aloe Barbadensis, Glyceryl Linoleate, Glyceryl Linolenate, Glycerin, Triticum Vulgare Oil, Hamamelis Virginiana, Simmondsia Chinensis*, Rosa Moschata Oil*, Foeniculum Vulgare, Humulus Lupulus Extract, Melissa Officinalis Extract, Viscum Album Extract, Anthemis Nobilis Extract, Achillea Millefolium Extract, Chrysanthemum Parthenium Extract, Angelica Acutiloba Extract, Forsythia Suspensa Fruit Extract, Magnolia Biondii Extract, Lonicera Japonica Oil, Tocopherol Acetate, Retinyl Palmitate, Daucus Carota Oil, Citrus Grandis, Retinyl Acetate, Ascorbic Acid.
*Organically Grown and Processed in Accordance with US National Organic Programme Administered By US Department Of Agriculture.

Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose Moisturising Shampoo: Full Ingredient Listing: Deionized Water, Coconut Oil-Corn Oil Soap, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein (made from organic, non-GMO soybeans), Organic Aloe Vera, Carrageenan, Honeysuckle Oil, Organic Rosa Mosqueta® Rose Hip Seed Oil; Extracts of Fennel, Hops, Balm Mint, Mistletoe, Camomile, Yarrow, Ginkgo, Ginseng, Angelica, Chrysanthemum, Magnolia, Horsetail, Coltsfoot and Forsythia; Vegetable Glycerin, Sweet Almond Oil, Linoleic Acid (Vitamin F), Vitamin E, Aloe Vera Oil, Macadamia Nut Oil, Organic Rosemary Oil, Organic Sage Oil, Aubrey's Preservative (Citrus Seed Extract, Vitamins A, C and E).

Thanks for that. The ingredients may be ok but collectively they do a number on my scalp and almost nothing for my hair. So I have to let it go.

little off topic:

Curlykale thanks so much for this. Butyrospernum Parkii that's the scientific name for shea butter right? If so, this explains why AO HSR never worked for me. Shea butter being so high up in the product ingredient list is the kiss of death for me as my hair is low porosity. AO HSR just sits there and leaves this weird white film on my strands. I tried so hard to make my hair like AO products given the rave reviews and it just hated them all. The light bulb finally goes on.

@Curlykale thanks so much for this. Butyrospernum Parkii that's the scientific name for shea butter right? If so, this explains why AO HSR never worked for me. Shea butter being so high up in the product ingredient list is the kiss of death for me as my hair is low porosity. AO HSR just sits there and leaves this weird white film on my strands. I tried so hard to make my hair like AO products given the rave reviews and it just hated them all. The light bulb finally goes on.

I have your same "problem" with shea butter (yeah, that's the butyrospernum monster), I can only use the Honeysuckle Rose conditioner as a deep conditioning pre-poo, on dry hair (which is why I prefer White Camellia and GPB, they penetrate instead). Glad it helped!

I'm trying not to become a product junkie since the mud wash seems to really cover the conditioning base. If only I could use it as a leave-in. Oh, I forgot to add, I used the mint on my face while in the shower. Though it didn't last, it immediately shrank the large pores I have on the sides of my nose. My face felt really clean.

So, I emailed terressentials on Monday asking about my order. No reply. This evening I get an email from USPS with tracking info for my mud wash. No reply from the company at all. I just wonder when they would have sent my order placed on the 11th. SMH.

I received an order on the 20th that contained lavender. Placed my order around the same time as you. I had called them to ask if I could change to a different scent because I didn't want to wait and they told me they could ship the following day which was around the 17th when they said they'd be able to fulfill orders.

I washed with lavender again today, after leaving amla and coconut oil on overnight, finger detangled in the shower, then applied Afroveda Shea amla whipped butter to wet hair.

wow I didnt know the owner of SSI was an LHCFer!!!
nice!!
I believe her LHCF member name is Sweet Cashew (and she is very sweet btw). I once sent her a note lamenting SSI's decision to discontinue the formula of a product that I loved and w/o prompting she sent me a complimentary jar of the product with the old formula. Was so unexpected and speak volumes of her commitment to customer service.

Last edited:
So the main consensus on this mud wash is you will either have to stop being a product junkie, or not have been one is the first place to really get the benefits of this wash?

So the main consensus on this mud wash is you will either have to stop being a product junkie, or not have been one is the first place to really get the benefits of this wash?

No I don't think that is the consensus. Everyone is using something different. You have a few that have reduced the number of products they use. Some that use only natural. Some used what they used before.

Now there may be some products that you may want to use that the mud wash can't handle alone that's a different story. Then you may have to do some additional things to get your hair and scalp clean.

Back