MTG- Suggestions on how to mask the smell??

vikkisecret

Nubian Girl
Ok ladies I just bought me some MTG ( yea ..I am late to jump on the bandwagon :clapping: :yay: ) but I would really like to know how you MTG users mask the smell that some ladies have complained about. I am constantly around people and I don't really want it to be an issue. Please help me. Thanks!!:D

Maybe I am doing something wrong, because my peppermint oil did not help. Do you put a few drops in a certain amount of the MTG?

HoneyDew said:
Maybe I am doing something wrong, because my peppermint oil did not help. Do you put a few drops in a certain amount of the MTG?

I used an applicator bottle. My exact recipe is: 3/4 mtg, 1/4 surge, few drops of peppermint oil

SexyC said:
Quick question yall , Where do you get mtg. I want to get on the band wagon too!
Ditto. I used to use the MT conditioner back in the 80's. This isn't the same thing is it? Ya'll are turning me into a PJ.:lol:

I use this cheap (99cents) aloe vera oil I got from a Harlem BSS. It doesn't really do much for my hair but it smells great.

The peppermint oil, vanilla extract, or any of the other combos didn't really get rid of the MTG smell for me. I accidentally discovered a product called Vita-Fresh by Next Image while browsing in a BSS. I'm using the Avocado & Shea Butter right now to cut the MTG odor, and I also bought the Coco-Mango formula. This product is an odor neutralizer for the hair, that really works. Since it contains a significant amount of water, I don't think it'd work out for those who wear their hair straightened, but I wear braidouts and buns most of the time so it works for me. It smells nice and fresh and truly gets rid of the MTG smell. An 8 oz bottle set me back around $6. Here are the ingredients:

purified water, propylene glycol, isopropyl myristate, dimethicone copolyol, natural herbal extracts (sage, chamomile, burdock and parsley), avocado oil, shea butter, panthenol, vitamin e acetate, benzophenone-3, magnesium sulfate, tetrasodium EDTA, DMDM hydantoin, citric acid, fragrance D&C yellow #11, D&C green #6 (for the coco-mango formula, avocado oil and shea butter are replaced by coconut oil and mango butter)

I found a website for the company that makes the product:

http://thenextimage.com/new_product.htm

pheb32 said:
The peppermint oil, vanilla extract, or any of the other combos didn't really get rid of the MTG smell for me. I accidentally discovered a product called Vita-Fresh by Next Image while browsing in a BSS. I'm using the Avocado & Shea Butter right now to cut the MTG odor, and I also bought the Coco-Mango formula. This product is an odor neutralizer for the hair, that really works. Since it contains a significant amount of water, I don't think it'd work out for those who wear their hair straightened, but I wear braidouts and buns most of the time so it works for me. It smells nice and fresh and truly gets rid of the MTG smell. An 8 oz bottle set me back around $6. Here are the ingredients:

purified water, propylene glycol, isopropyl myristate, dimethicone copolyol, natural herbal extracts (sage, chamomile, burdock and parsley), avocado oil, shea butter, panthenol, vitamin e acetate, benzophenone-3, magnesium sulfate, tetrasodium EDTA, DMDM hydantoin, citric acid, fragrance D&C yellow #11, D&C green #6 (for the coco-mango formula, avocado oil and shea butter are replaced by coconut oil and mango butter)

I found a website for the company that makes the product:

http://thenextimage.com/new_product.htm

Thanks for the website...maybe i'll give h=that a look to....does that stuff do anything for your hair and how do you mix it with your MTG...a recipe??

I just added this to another post, but I did not think peppermint oil would help, iI tried. Maybe the peppermint oil idea is working after all.

A few weeks ago, I found a half full bottle of ORS hair oil. I filled the rest up with MTG. I could not stand the smell, so it has been in my cabinet since then. Earlier today, I added peppermint oil. I did not have a dropper and my bottle has a wide opening so I could only pour some in. it was about 1/2 teaspoon. I just took a wiff of it and the smell is not so bad! It smells like sulfur 8 or some other kind of medicated grease, which I can deal with.

I added rose oil to my MTG and it was very nice; however, I spilled the bottle (on my sofa, no less) and I had to make a new mixture using Wonder 8 oil. It did not smell as nice, of course, but did somewhat mask the smell. The smell of the MTG was not as bad as I thought. From the posts, I was prepared for something that smelled like rotten eggs or old, rotting skunk butt. I think that Sulfur 8 has a more overpowering smell.

it was actually the sta sof fro that helped mask the smell for me. i guess you could try spraying a few times some hair refresher or hair product that smells nice and is watery. maybe pantene detangling spray. one spray should be enough

stacy said:
The smell of the MTG was not as bad as I thought. From the posts, I was prepared for something that smelled like rotten eggs or old, rotting skunk butt.

:perplexed ...................................:lol:

diamoness said:
has anyone tried the surge deodorizer to mask the smell?

I have never tried it, but I saw it in the BSS and it just did not seem potent enough to outweigh the smell of sulfur. If essential oils just barely excuses the scent, I could not see how this watery stuff could. I guess trying would not hurt, but I did not want to waste the cash.

nubianqt86 said:
I mixed mine with lavender oil and it did nothing at all. What else can i try?

For me, the oils only made the smell more bearable. Last night I used peppermint oil and cedarwood oil. I can still smell the MTG slightly this morning. But, I went for a 20 min walk outside and I don't smell it any more. Interesting. I guess it aired out. I have braids right now so I really don't think I could use it everyday like some people. Once a week is as much as I can do. I just can't totally erase the smell.

I use a mixture of rosemary oil, Asha's Omega oil, and Myhoneychild Honey Love Moisturizer mixed with my MTG in a little spray bottle. So far, this has been the best combination I have used for masking the smell.

yea I tried peppermint essential oil and vanilla extract too, and its still super strong. I couldn't sleep good cuz everytime I moved, I smelled that awful crap. I washed my sheets and pillow cases and they still smell. I haven't used it since, but I know it works cuz it smells just like glovers. My mom mixed up some glovers and petroleum jelly for me to use back in 7th grade when I started getting relaxers (my hair was snappin off so bad then). Anyway, after greasing my scalp with it, the next morning before school she would spray right guard deoderant in the air over my head...to keep it from smelling so strong(that -ish didn't work). I did experience faster hair growth, but my classsmates where always sayin they smelled gasoline, or askin if somethin was burning. So I stopped using it. I guess I just have super sensitive senses cuz to me the stuff smells like *&^$.

I want to try that mango/odor neutralizer, but none of the stores sell it near me.
I'm determined to find a way to neutralize the smell.......I'll let yall know what I come up with.
Holla

ok ladies,

I did some mixin and have been successful in getting rid of that horrible smell. Check it out:

1.) Combine approx. 5 tablespoons of aloe vera gel with
approx. 2 teaspoons of MTG

2.) Stir vigorously till it becomes an opaque and creamy consistancy

3.) Then add approx. 1-2 teaspoons of Queen Helene Mango and Cocoa Butter Hand and body lotion (1.99 from walmart)

4.) Stir well for 3 minutes

It actually smells good now and the cream feels so good on the scalp.
You may have to play with the measurements a lil.....I just approximated. Let me know how you like it.

Thanks for the ideas ladies:)

Back