MTG horse conditioner

Ladies, how long do you think it will take before you see any adverse reactions to this product? For the LHCF member that e-mailed Shapley's, did Liz mention any "signs" that will occur to signal a discontinuation of the use of MTG?

Bee,

That is an excellent question, one to which I do not have an answer as she did not provide this information. I'll send her over another email.

As far as things that would be indications of something going awry, pretty much anything out of the normal for me, I don't have a very sensitive scalp (except the hairline to relaxers, go figure) so any soreness, scaliness/flakes, redness (if I haven't been massaging), burning/raw feeling skin (like some Surge users were experiencing) bumps/blisters, sudden hairloss would be cause for concern. I would include itching but sometimes when I'm in a growth spurt I'll have the itchies so...

I would say use your best judgement on this but I will write her and post her response when it comes in.

TonicaG,

Actually, I can kinda understand this...If I recall correctly, the Surge bottle doesn't address the possible side affects and caution about using w/an oil/moisturizer. I would say anything that is used on the scalp, especially if it is not specifically designed for people (and some products that are) would have the risk of causing a reaction. Because all of the ingredients to the product aren't listed, it's hard to know what you're putting on your scalp. Could just be an allergic reaction...

After reading about horses and their care (because of researching their products), it seems that they have fairly sensitve skin so it should be safe but it it's not marketed for people, it might not be tested on people so you just never know....

I dunno. Just a thought....

Hi LaNecia,

I received my order yesterday and couldn't wait to try it. I planned on just using on my scalp for massages and on my ends, but since I was CO washing last night anyway, I put some of this on with my NTM for an hour or so. Before I say anything else, I have to say my hair (mainly my roots) was instantly softened and easily detangled as I massaged and I combed only twice before putting the plastic cap on.

Ok, I'm thinking it's the NTM but as I rinsed, there was alot of white buildup. I had to rinse almost 15 minutes before even CO washing. By the time I felt I had enough out (even though it seemed like I could still gently scrape some off my scalp) I didn't even want to really put any conditioner on. I did anyway, just a small amount and it turned out ok. I rinsed some more while combing with my shower comb and put it a ponytail while I got out the shower.

By the time I got out and towel dried my hair a bit (because I still planned on using a leave-in) I didn't detect any white build up or residue so that made me feel better. My hair was still soft and easy to comb through which was another relief. :perplexed Have you experienced any of this? Again, I'm sure it was the MTG and the NTM conditioner mixed together. Maybe that was a bad choice of mixture but I would like to use the MTG as a pre=poo from time to time since it even suggests on the bottle to use and then wash out.

Do you think I should stick with my original plan and just use on scalp maybe 2x a week and on my ends daily??? Sorry for babbling and thanks in advance..

JusticeWifey,

Glad to hear that you liked your results!! I was a little wary when I first got mine!

I haven't used mine as a prepoo but I can tell from when I've put in on my wet hair that I don't like the feeling of my hair, it feels...I dunno, kinda rough? When I put it on my ends and they are barely damp or dry, they feel so SOFT AND SILKY...

I'm not sure about the white build up, when I put the MTG in wet, did however get a whitish kind of film on it (when I left it on over night). My hair was not silky feeling after rinsing out the MTG in the morning. I shampooed to remove the residue, my hair wasn't appreciative of that at all. I've used the NTM which I absolutely :love: but never both together.

I think it'll probably take a few passes to figure out what is going to work best for your hair. Your original plan sounds good, pretty much what I was planning on doing.

My ends, under the baggie turned out really nice. I'm wondering though, if it's causing that much buildup on the hair, how much is being removed from the scalp by rinsing/co washing only? Perhaps that is why the bottle says to use only once a week? A clarifier might be needed rather frequently if this is used a lot. The bottle also says about using their Accompanying shampoo for easy and effective remove of MTG ....what's in the poo? :scratchchi

My personal regimen is to apply to the scalp once a week and use on the ends as needed, especially while doing the baggie method. At the end of a week or two, check the scalp and ends and make a determination from there if I should apply to the scalp more frequently or change the regimen some other way. I'm reluctant to make a usage recommendation about a product we know so little about so I hope that helps...:look:

LaNecia: You're right it is a good question and one that I didn't think of due to my zealousness to use the product. I guess if one was to experience any negative side effects it would have occurred with the initial use??? Since I didn't experience any and saw immediate results, I became very optimistic about the product. I have spent LOTS of money on PLENTY of products recommended by users of this board and many of them are collecting dust in my cabinet...

I was looking at another hair board (blackhairmedia.com) and the young lady that started this saga uses MTG everyday and it appears that she's having pretty good results...

TonicaG said:
LaNecia: You're right it is a good question and one that I didn't think of due to my zealousness to use the product. I guess if one was to experience any negative side effects it would have occurred with the initial use??? Since I didn't experience any and saw immediate results, I became very optimistic about the product. I have spent LOTS of money on PLENTY of products recommended by users of this board and many of them are collecting dust in my cabinet...

I was looking at another hair board (blackhairmedia.com) and the young lady that started this saga uses MTG everyday and it appears that she's having pretty good results...

Ok, I'm getting excited again! Be sure to keep us posted on your progress.... It is so funny how products will work for some and not for others...I think it's time to have a sale of my own....

I want my stuff. I went home during lunch and it hadn't been delivered yet. Now I have to go out of my way to go by the house before I go pick up the kids, so my dh doesn't see it first.

Don't laugh, like you hadn't sneaked something in the house and pretended that it had been there all along.

LaNecia said:
JusticeWifey,

Glad to hear that you liked your results!! I was a little wary when I first got mine!

I haven't used mine as a prepoo but I can tell from when I've put in on my wet hair that I don't like the feeling of my hair, it feels...I dunno, kinda rough? When I put it on my ends and they are barely damp or dry, they feel so SOFT AND SILKY...

I'm not sure about the white build up, when I put the MTG in wet, did however get a whitish kind of film on it (when I left it on over night). My hair was not silky feeling after rinsing out the MTG in the morning. I shampooed to remove the residue, my hair wasn't appreciative of that at all. I've used the NTM which I absolutely :love: but never both together.

I think it'll probably take a few passes to figure out what is going to work best for your hair. Your original plan sounds good, pretty much what I was planning on doing.

My ends, under the baggie turned out really nice. I'm wondering though, if it's causing that much buildup on the hair, how much is being removed from the scalp by rinsing/co washing only? Perhaps that is why the bottle says to use only once a week? A clarifier might be needed rather frequently if this is used a lot. The bottle also says about using their Accompanying shampoo for easy and effective remove of MTG ....what's in the poo? :scratchchi

My personal regimen is to apply to the scalp once a week and use on the ends as needed, especially while doing the baggie method. At the end of a week or two, check the scalp and ends and make a determination from there if I should apply to the scalp more frequently or change the regimen some other way. I'm reluctant to make a usage recommendation about a product we know so little about so I hope that helps...:look:

Thanks LaNecia,

using a clarifying shampoo makes perfect sense to me now :think:

I also like your regimen about checking the scalp and make the determination then.. note to self: check scalp at the end of the week :scratchch

Again, I have to say I am still very positive about this product. It just makes sense because this works so good on horses, we (humans) have to benefit from this to, ya know what I mean? Ok, ladies, quit horsin' around and break out the MTG!! :lachen:

rosie said:
Don't laugh, like you hadn't sneaked something in the house and pretended that it had been there all along.

Whatever do you mean?! :sekret: :eyebrows2 :wasntme: :angel:

Justicewifey said:
Thanks LaNecia,

using a clarifying shampoo makes perfect sense to me now :think:

I also like your regimen about checking the scalp and make the determination then.. note to self: check scalp at the end of the week :scratchch

Again, I have to say I am still very positive about this product. It just makes sense because this works so good on horses, we (humans) have to benefit from this to, ya know what I mean? Ok, ladies, quit horsin' around and break out the MTG!! :lachen:

:bud:

I know it's corny but I couldn't help myself!

rosie said:
I want my stuff. I went home during lunch and it hadn't been delivered yet. Now I have to go out of my way to go by the house before I go pick up the kids, so my dh doesn't see it first.

GUILTY! :wasntme:

I hurried up and poured some in my applicator bottle and put the rest under the sink waaaaaaayyyyy behind my other products. You should have seen me make a b-line to the bathroom, even my kids was running behind me trying to see ;)

:lachen:

Ok, we all got the same thing going on! I went so far as to peel the label off the bottle....:lol:

Lanecia, and Justicewifey

Glad I'm not the only one. DH looks at me strange when I'm in the kitchen making stuff, but I don't know how he would react to some horse products. LOL.

rosie said:
Lanecia, and Justicewifey

Glad I'm not the only one. DH looks at me strange when I'm in the kitchen making stuff, but I don't know how he would react to some horse products. LOL.

My son has seen it, he's 13 so you can imagine...., dumb me left the label in the trash, face up no less! He just walks by an whinnies from time to time.... .....Sigh.

Dolapo,

I found mine at a tack and feed store. We have a race track here in SD so I called Shapley's and got a listing of retailers close by. Because it's not marketed for for humans, you won't find it at a BSS. I found some products like at Pet Smart so if you have a large Pet Store retailer in your area, you may check there, it would be in the Equine section...WHY DO I KNOW THIS?!

I recently started using this too. So far so good. I am not afraid of any bad reactions b/c the bottle says it is non toxic even if it is ingested by accident. So I feel pretty safe.... I purchased mine at an equestrian store. They probably have it at most pet stores too....

Okay, UPS didn't deliver it to my door until 7 pm, so I was cold busted. DH kept asking me what was in the box.

I said you know some hair stuff. It's been a long time and I was running low. He said oh.

I washed and used the conditioner (nothing to write home about) and the scalp treatment. Yep, it smells like glovers. I might have used too much, 'cause my hair was kind of greasy this morning. We'll see what results if any I get. I'm braiding my hair this weekend and we'll see the new growth in the next couple of weeks.

rosie said:
I washed and used the conditioner (nothing to write home about) and the scalp treatment.

What is the difference between the conditioner and scalp treatment? Aren't they the same?

:eek: :lol:

Sorry to hear you were busted but I'm really happy for you that it came!

Yes, the stuff reeks of Glover's. I never used the Glover's but I've smelled it, the Frenchee's has a strangely similar smell...got a big jar under the sink but it's a heavy grease so that won't be going on MY Scalp! :nono:

Good luck on your growth, be sure to holla back!!

I Received Mine Last Night 2/24/05 I Was So Excited But I Was To Tired To Wash My Hair. But You Can Best Believe I Will Do It Tonight And Keep You Guys Posted!!! And Yes It Does Smell Like The Glovers Which I Use Also.

Lanelle said:
What is the difference between the conditioner and scalp treatment? Aren't they the same?

The conditioner is jsut that a hair conditioner for horses. It seem like a protein conditioner kind of like the Mane and Tail variety.

The treatment is a leav in scalp treatment. That you can reapply during the week.

It's strong, but the smell goes away after a day or so.

I used it wrong the first time. I used it on sopping wet hair. I washed my hair again Friday night and let it air dry. Saturday morning, I applied the stuff to my scalp and brushed to my ends and no greasy. The smell was not that strong either.

I haven't noticed any newgrowth, but I'm 100% natural and I've been wearing my hair in a puff all week. Maybe when I put in some twists or braids, the growth will show.

rosie said:
I used it wrong the first time. I used it on sopping wet hair. I washed my hair again Friday night and let it air dry. Saturday morning, I applied the stuff to my scalp and brushed to my ends and no greasy. The smell was not that strong either.

I haven't noticed any newgrowth, but I'm 100% natural and I've been wearing my hair in a puff all week. Maybe when I put in some twists or braids, the growth will show.

Too funny that you posted on this today, I was driving to work thinking...need to hit the girls up for some info on their results...

I too did this with the wet hair application....wrong! :nono: I also apply after my hair is try and only to the scalp and (ends under my baggie). I noticed the diminished smell too!

No, on the new growth, I've seen a bit more...I texturized on 2/19 so seeing new growth this fast is a new one for me, not a lot but some (I usually average only 1/4" a month, I've got that right now). I apply it once in between washes/CO washes , so it's only applied once after my scalp is cleaned. I don't use daily unless I'm CO washing daily. Hope that makes sense!

So far so good...:up:

rosie said:
The conditioner is jsut that a hair conditioner for horses. It seem like a protein conditioner kind of like the Mane and Tail variety.

The treatment is a leav in scalp treatment. That you can reapply during the week.

Okay, thanks;). Can't wait to try it! The smell wouldn't bother me much since I'm used to the Sulfur 8 smell...can anything get any worse than that...?

I dunno, this stuff CAN be pretty strong, especially if you put it on w/a heavy application. To me, the Sulfur 8 doesn't smell bad at all (I"ve always wondered what the fuss was about) but hey, everyone's nose is different. If you can tolerate Frenchee's or Glover's this is almost exactly the same...

Personally, I wouldn't let the smell deter me if it worked....but I do like a challenge so....

Good luck!!

Any adverse reactions ladies? I got mine, along w/ the shampoo to wash it out I've applie it 2x, so far. I'm using it on my kitchens because it's BEEDEEBEE'd back there. First, I spray w/ S-curl then apply MTG w/ a Q-tip on my scalp. I'll let you all know in about 30 days what my results are.

Back