MN = lots of newgrowth !

doll-baby

aug09newgrowth.jpg

Hey ladies I'm almost 5 weeks post relaxer and my new growth is out of this world. I've been using MN straight every other day and I think I have about an inch of new growth in some places. It's a good thing but I'm scared that my hair will start breaking with all of this new growth especially since I planned on stretching until 10 weeks post that's about another 5 - 6 weeks ! Any tips on how to manage new growth is grately appreciated. :yep:

p.s. Yay I finally posted a pic within a thread !

I first started using MN last year and I haven't experience any headaches not even when I started using it straight. To me it works better than MT.

Wal-Mart I use the generic brand for $4.00. So far so good. Thats the cheapest I could find it in my area.

My last relaxer was July 9th. So about 5 weeks ( it will be 5 weeks on Thursday). I normally get about an inch to an inch in a half of new growth within my 10 week stretch with MN (usually mixed) but this time I have been using it straight and it has really increased my growth rate. I may have to hide my hair in braids to avoid breakage if I want to make it to 10 weeks before relaxing .

I was thinking of using it again as well. I got good growth with it as well. I need 2 more inches before the back of my hair is APL and I want it Ba-aaa-ddd! Also, DB, is that a pic of you? Cause i'm like wow, she looks like Stacey Dash! LOL... Also, are you still taking Chlorella...? I just started back after like a month of being very inconsistent. My nails are growing ridiculously crazy, and they are so hard it's uncomfortable...

BTW: I like MN better because I never got the shedding I did when I was using MT, which worked, by the way.

ETA: Check out Sylver2's vids on youtube. She has great tutorials on stretching and managing new growth.

Last edited:
wow, thats great growth!! I need to step it up on my mn game. I use the same one the equate brand from wal-mart! I just made a mix last night, but I think Im gonna try it straight for a few weeks..

Cause i'm like wow, she looks like Stacey Dash!

I think the same thing every time I see Doll Baby's avi!:yep:

But I was thinking about starting MN. I have a thinning spot that I need to fill in and MT + Castor Oil hasn't been working (In all fairness, it's only been about 11 days). I will continue with the MT through August, if I am not satisfied with the results, I am going to definitely try the MN instead.

Thanks for starting this thread :)

I was thinking of using it again as well. I got good growth with it as well. I need 2 more inches before the back of my hair is APL and I want it Ba-aaa-ddd! Also, DB, is that a pic of you? Cause i'm like wow, she looks like Stacey Dash! LOL... Also, are you still taking Chlorella...? I just started back after like a month of being very inconsistent. My nails are growing ridiculously crazy, and they are so hard it's uncomfortable...

BTW: I like MN better because I never got the shedding I did when I was using MT, which worked, by the way.

ETA: Check out Sylver2's vids on youtube. She has great tutorials on stretching and managing new growth.

Thank you I almost forgot about Sylver2 ! I need to totally take notes while watching her videos. Yes that's my picture, that's from last summer when I was trying out green contacts :lachen: I wish I looked like Stacey she's very pretty, :blush:.

I'm not taking chorella anymore I fell off that bandwagon within a week (too may pills):ohwell: If I can find a powder form I may try it again in the future . So for now all I'm taking are hair skin and nail vitamins they are pretty good they have biotin, msm, and gelatin in them.

In regards to the MT I had to stop using it because the shedding was getting scary I felt like I had one strand of hair on my head :nono:. So I started using MN again and I think that is going to be my old faithful growth aid from now on when ever I need growth boost :grin:.

I think the same thing every time I see her avatar.

The op and your results have definitely made me want to look into MN.

Do either of your feel like you have to wash more because of build up? How often are you/when are you applying it?

Thank you I almost forgot about Sylver2 ! I need to totally take notes while watching her videos. Yes that's my picture, that's from last summer when I was trying out green contacts :lachen: I wish I looked like Stacey she's very pretty, :blush:.

I'm not taking chorella anymore I fell off that bandwagon within a week (too may pills):ohwell: If I can find a powder form I may try it again in the future . So for now all I'm taking are hair skin and nail vitamins they are pretty good they have biotin, msm, and gelatin in them.

In regards to the MT I had to stop using it because the shedding was getting scary I felt like I had one strand of hair on my head :nono:. So I started using MN again and I think that is going to be my old faithful growth aid from now on when ever I need growth boost :grin:.

You look like Stacey very much... I am taking the Source Naturals powder. It was very economic at the time I ordered it and I got two huge tubs of it. After the LHCF explosion, they went up exponentially on the price which is what usually happens when we hype something up over here... But I'm still taking it because the powder is MUCH easier to take than all those pills for me.

MT was okay for me when I first used it because I was taking lots of garlic pills. A few months ago I got the idea to start it again because I saw all the growth I got last year that I did not retain because of not taking care of my ends. And so when I used it the first day, I got so much shedding I ran and got some garlic but this time it took like two weeks for the shedding to stop and that made me mad so I don t hink I'll be trying it again... Like you, I think MN will be my staple hair growth aide when I need it...

Do either of your feel like you have to wash more because of build up? How often are you/when are you applying it?

I do daily co-washes anyways, and so buildup is never really a concern of mine. I was applying it every other day as well. On the opposite days, I was applying castor oil to my scalp because MN can be drying to the scalp.

I find my self cowashing probably 1 to 2 days after applying the MN with Sally's Hairone cleansing condish. then when my hair dries I'll apply it again ( if it's been 2 or more days since my last application.
I part my hair in thin sections (like I'm greasing my scalp) and apply the MN directly to the scalp. once I have completed applying it I massage it in for a couple of minutes. :yep:

Are you guys using the MN in the form of the Monistat...or just the MN in the tube?

I think I may try the tube once my Monistat is finished because the Monistat is very expensive, I pay 20...while the tube is 9.99 ...I wonder if it will effect the results?

Are you guys using the MN in the form of the Monistat...or just the MN in the tube?

I think I may try the tube once my Monistat is finished because the Monistat is very expensive, I pay 20...while the tube is 9.99 ...I wonder if it will effect the results?

I never have used the brand name Monistat I've always used the Wal-Mart Equate brand for $4.00. and it works just fine. :yep:

I'm interested in trying this but I am so scarred since I didn't have a good experience with MT. My hair shed like crazy, plus I had protein overload. I lost lots of hair. :crying3:

I'm interested in trying this but I am so scarred since I didn't have a good experience with MT. My hair shed like crazy, plus I had protein overload. I lost lots of hair. :crying3:

I understand what you're talking about, My hair did the same thing while using MT. But I haven't noticed any increased shedding while using MN. Look up the MN threads to see what other ladies experienced to help you decide if you want to use it or not, you could aways try a patch test.

I'm in kinky twist and use stråight MN from Family Dollar. That was the 20th. I ALREADY need to do my braids over in the front. I'm holdin them in until the end of the month to do them again. I love M.N

Last edited:

I'm afraid to use the MT because I would faint if my hair started shedding :thud:

Now you have me interested in NM because I'm not using any topical at all now. I'm retaining really well so now I need to get to growing faster :yep:

I understand what you're talking about, My hair did the same thing while using MT. But I haven't noticed any increased shedding while using MN. Look up the MN threads to see what other ladies experienced to help you decide if you want to use it or not, you could aways try a patch test.

Thanks! I will definitely look up threads and do a patch test if I decide to try it. :yep:

Yes I love using MN, I've gotten lots of growth at least I feel like I have...I've been using it for over a month, by applying my mixture in a color applicator to the parts between the braids of my sew ins. (2 to be exact). I'm currently take my sew in out, I can't wait to see my progress since I really haven't seen my hair in over a month.

Yes I love using MN, I've gotten lots of growth at least I feel like I have...I've been using it for over a month, by applying my mixture in a color applicator to the parts between the braids of my sew ins. (2 to be exact). I'm currently take my sew in out, I can't wait to see my progress since I really haven't seen my hair in over a month.

how do you do this? i have a sew in with a net now and i couldnt figure out how to get in there and get exactly to my scalp. do you worry about thoroughly getting the scalp clean and build up?

Back