Mixing Duo tex?

VirtuousGal

Im not sure if this has been talked about but duo tex seems to make my hair break, so i thought maybe i could mix it with some shea butter cholestorol for some balance, then shampoo my hair with shampoo and baking soda and moisturize with dpr 11, what do the hair experts think? MY hair has been breaking so badly this semester and I just want it to get back on track. Sometimes i wonder does it just not like protein period. Im a 4a/b if that helps your diagnosis.

Maybe you hair doesn't NEED the protein. I would do away with the protein in all and go for more moisture. It sounds like you misdiagnosed the cause of your breakage.

Could it be too much heat? How often do you use heat? Overprocessing from a relaxer? Too much manipulation? Is it dry? Needs clarifying?

There are a lot of reasons that your hair could be breaking. Personally I would leave the duo-tex alone. It could be that your hair doesn't like the duo-tex. You can never loose from too much moisture. Try increasing your moisture game and go from there.

Can you be a little more specific about the effect the Duo Tex is having on your hair? I mean, is it causing tangles and your hair is breaking during comb out?

I have sprayed the Duo Tex on and then put a moisturizing conditioner over it and sat under my heat cap. That worked very well for me. Actually DT is the only 'serious' protein that I can use that doesn't cause me terrible tangles. HTH

I love Duo Tex. It does the same thing as Aphoghee without the mess and the need to get hard. After washing my hair with Creme of Nature Moisturizing formula (the Green Label), I use Duo Tex and leave it on for ten minutes. Afterwards, I rinse it out and I follow up with Silk Elements Moisturizing Conditioner. I leave this on for a few minutes. I then followup EVOO and air dry up to about 90-95%. When all the way dry I lightly put castor oil on my ends. My hair is strong and it maintains softness and pliability. The key is finding out how much of moisture and protein you hair needs. It varies from person to person but the two should never be separated or you would end up with what I call "straw hair" (hair that is hard and easy to break). HTH

Oh BTW, this has been especailly good for my color treated and relaxed hair. It has been the main key to maintaining healthy color-treated hair. My hair is like a honey color, about three inches from bra strap, with very minimum shedding or breakage. I am truly thankful for one of the ladies mentioning on here. I use duo tex each time I wash my hair (which is every three days) using the above technique with no problem as long as I balance the moisture and the protein. You have to play with it to find what works best for you. ;)

LocksOfLuV said:
Maybe you hair doesn't NEED the protein. I would do away with the protein in all and go for more moisture. It sounds like you misdiagnosed the cause of your breakage.

Could it be too much heat? How often do you use heat? Overprocessing from a relaxer? Too much manipulation? Is it dry? Needs clarifying?

There are a lot of reasons that your hair could be breaking. Personally I would leave the duo-tex alone. It could be that your hair doesn't like the duo-tex. You can never loose from too much moisture. Try increasing your moisture game and go from there.

Actually, too much moisture can leave your hair having that "mushy" feel and it can break that way as well.

Thank you ladies for the reply. I dont reply have tangle problems, its just been popping off. The change started after i used hello hydration a couple of times!!! then all the bad started happening and also i think its because of the water at my school in our town, so i bought the sally's hard water shampoo. I just finished washing my hair, i didnt use the duo cuz i woulda cried it i lost that much hair again. I started of with healthy hair in August and just that quickly in Nov its a thin mass of garbage, irgh! But thanks ladies. I DP'd with DPR 11 and im thinking ill leave it in.

czyfaith77 said:
Actually, too much moisture can leave your hair having that "mushy" feel and it can break that way as well.

I knew someone would say that.:lol: I was staing that in HER case it wouldn't hurt, seeing how she was breaking from the protein.

Kristal said:
Bumping...Any body else got anything?

I would just suggest throwing some serious moisture at your hair, like the othe other ladies suggested. Maybe do a deep con 2x a week or so until your hair gets back to normal. And if protein is the problem, avoid all leave-ins/styling products that contain protein.

I would, DuoTex sorta leaves your hair feeling hard afterward. But then again, thats just me.

ThreadStarter,
I suggest that you try henna. Lol...I know your prolly reading this thinkin I'm crazy, but seriously...try it.

Back