~*~ Miconazole Nitrate... Read This First! ~*~

MonaRae

Not to scare anyone but I thought it best to look up this drug b/4 trying. I must admit I jumped on the bandwagon and bought some today but I thought it best to know exactly what I was getting into.

If it is working for you, great but let just be a little more careful about what we put on our heads. I want waistlength hair; I'm just not ready to do anything to get it.

The info below is not all bad just informative.

http://www.cancer.org/docroot/CDG/content/CDG_miconazole_nitrate.asp
icon_hea_glossary.gif
miconazole nitrate
Trade Name(s):
Monistat
shim.gif
Type of Drug:
Miconazole nitrate is an antifungal drug.
shim.gif
How Drug Works:
Miconazole nitrate prevents fungi from reproducing and kills the organisms at higher doses.
shim.gif
How Drug Is Given:
Miconazole nitrate is given in a number of ways. Given as an injection in the vein over 30 to 60 minutes, the dose and length of treatment depend on the infection being treated. Miconazole nitrate is also given as a vaginal suppository or as a cream or powder applied to the skin. Keep the medicine in a tightly closed container away from heat and moisture and out of the reach of children and pets.
shim.gif
How Should I Take This Drug?
Take this drug exactly as directed by your doctor. If you do not understand the instructions, ask your doctor or nurse to explain them to you.
shim.gif
Read the following information. If you do not understand it or if any of it causes you special concern, check with your doctor.
shim.gif
Before taking this drug, tell your doctor if you are taking any other prescription or over-the-counter drugs, including vitamins and herbals.
shim.gif
Should I avoid any other medications, foods, alcohol, and/or activities?
Your prescription and nonprescription medications may interact with other drugs, causing a harmful effect. Certain foods or alcohol can also interact with drug products. Never begin taking a new medication, prescription or nonprescription, without asking your doctor or nurse if it will interact with alcohol, foods or other medications. Some drug products can cause drowsiness and may affect activities such as driving.
shim.gif
Precautions:
Tell your doctor if you are taking rifampin, isoniazid, warfarin (Coumadin), cyclosporine, phenytoin (Dilantin), or oral anticoagulants (Coumadin). Talk to your doctor about possible drug interactions.

All drugs used to fight microorganisms can cause allergic reactions. Stop the drug and tell your nurse or doctor right away if you develop a rash, hives, red blotches on your skin, or difficulty breathing.

When given for an infection throughout your body (systemic), the first dose is usually given in a hospital setting so you can be watched closely for any reaction.

The intravenous form of the drug is used for systemic fungal infections. The suppositories and vaginal cream are used to treat fungal infections of the vagina. Cream and powder may also be used for affected skin areas, as directed by your doctor.
shim.gif
Tell all the doctors, dentists, and pharmacists you visit that you are taking this drug.
  • Most of the following side effects probably will not occur.
  • Your doctor or nurse will want to discuss specific care instructions with you.
  • They can help you understand these side effects and help you deal with them.
Side Effects:
shim.gif
More Common Side Effects:
  • Pain and irritation at place of injection
  • Mild nausea
  • Burning in the vagina (when using suppository)
shim.gif
Less Common Side Effects:
  • Vomiting
  • Loss of appetite
  • Dizziness
  • Diarrhea
  • Bitter taste
  • Flushing of face
  • Anxiety
  • Blurred vision
  • Headache
shim.gif
Rare Side Efects:
  • Severe allergic reaction
  • Decreased red blood cell count with increased risk of anemia and tiredness (fatigue)
  • Rash
  • Itching
  • Fever
  • Chills
shim.gif
Side Effects/Symptoms of the Drug:
Call your doctor or nurse right away if you develop rash, fever, or chills. Your doctor needs to evaluate you.
shim.gif
Other side effects not listed above can also occur in some patients.
Tell your doctor or nurse if you develop any problems.
shim.gif
FDA Approval:
Yes

I was just about to apply the Neosporin AF that I just bought but thought I'd check LHCF first to see if there were any new posts about it. Thanks for posting this. I still feel comfortable testing this out. I may test it for 1 month and see what happens. I will be watching closely for adverse effects, and continue checking to see if any of you have an issues.

Mona,

Are you going to use it still?

I don't think I understand your concern. What you highlighted is true for just about any medication, over the counter and prescription.

Keen said:
I don't think I understand your concern. What you highlighted is true for just about any medication, over the counter and prescription.

I concur. :) I didnt read anything that sounded out of the ordinary or particulary disturbing.

However, thanks for posting this. I def. agree that it is really important to do your research thorougly before trying a new product like this one.

RabiaElaine said:
I was just about to apply the Neosporin AF that I just bought but thought I'd check LHCF first to see if there were any new posts about it. Thanks for posting this. I still feel comfortable testing this out. I may test it for 1 month and see what happens. I will be watching closely for adverse effects, and continue checking to see if any of you have an issues.

Mona,

Are you going to use it still?

RabiaElaine - I was thinking about returning it and just getting Tea Tree Oil which has anti-fungal properties as well. I am reaching it right now to see if it has the same abilities as MN.

Keen said:

Sorry if the highlight threw you off. I copy and paste the info directly from the site and they had that info highlighted.

You are right about true for just about any medication, over the counter and prescription

I try my best to stick with natural products. MN has been used for a number of years in the most delicate area so I just its not all that bad. I just wanted to inform my precious Sisters here.

MonaRae

Keep in mind, drug companies are required to report *any* potential side effect of a drug, even if only 1 person experienced it. This is what got Merck into trouble w/Vioxx. Also, your source of informationis givign side effects for the injection form of MN as well as other routes, so some things, most likely GI side effects like nausea, diarrhea, etc are probably from the injectable form, and not the topical version. But, it is good of you to have shared this info. Thanks. And you're right, we should be informed about what we put in our bodies.

MonaRae said:
RabiaElaine - I was thinking about returning it and just getting Tea Tree Oil which has anti-fungal properties as well. I am reaching it right now to see if it has the same abilities as MN.

Sorry if the highlight threw you off. I copy and paste the info directly from the site and they had that info highlighted.

You are right about true for just about any medication, over the counter and prescription

I try my best to stick with natural products. MN has been used for a number of years in the most delicate area so I just its not all that bad. I just wanted to inform my precious Sisters here.

MonaRae

I guess it's naive of me to think each person will use their better judgement before jumping on a bandwagons. Better be safe than sorry.

Thank you VWVixxen!

Like I said b/4 the information is not meant to scare anyone just to inform.

I’m looking at what is really making the hair grow and from what I can tell it is the anti-fungal properties within MN. So now I am looking for MN’s sister on the herbal side of the family and I will test her out.

Keep up the good work Ladies!
MonaRae

a lot of herbal and natural things are antifungal:

Coconut oil, oregano oil, msm, I'm just thinking off the top of my head. I know I have read about more. I want to say olive oil but I don't know about that one-probably not. Tea tree oil has already been mentioned.

Maybe it is the chemical/combination of chemicals they use in MN that makes it so great for hair growth/scalp.

ftballwidow said:
a lot of herbal and natural things are antifungal:

Coconut oil, oregano oil, msm, I'm just thinking off the top of my head. I know I have read about more. I want to say olive oil but I don't know about that one-probably not. Tea tree oil has already been mentioned.

Maybe it is the chemical/combination of chemicals they use in MN that makes it so great for hair growth/scalp.

Oh, Thanks Ftballwidow, this is just the info I needed. I am currently using coconut oil and I have oregano oil (to scare to use this on my scalp) but oregano oil is known to kill off yeast.

I will try to mix coconut oil with oil of oregano and throw in some tea tree, of COURSE I will be using small amount as both oil of oregano and tea tree may have a burning effect.

Faith said:
Mona if you find MN on the natural side let me know

I'll keep you posted on my findings.

MonaRae

Thanks MonaRae for the info, alot of us will just jump on the bandwagon because it is said to promote growth and people use it here with great results.

I don't use it, but I do use MTG once a week and I am having great growth.

Thanks for looking out!

so its ok to insert vaginally but not apply to scalp? that doesn't make any sense.

this doesn't make the product seem like a health risk to me. thanks for posting though. i think all the information above can apply to every type of health product on the market right now.

Wasn't this already posted? I could have sworn we already reviewed the risks...

Let me see, where was it.

Here it is...

HoneyDew said:
Here one for general Anti-fungal (*azoles) meds:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/drug-information/DR202697

but, most of this is about taking it orally.

I have read some of the Nizoral studies about ketoconazole and it is advised not to take it orally, but apply it topically because of internal effects. Apparently, Nizoral ( ketoconazole) tablets can cause serious damage to the liver in some people. Topical application preferred.

One more...

Nubianrose said:
That was me- who had posted that my hair broke off (right after I received a touch-up, prolly about 2 weeks)- but like i said before I'm not sure if it had to do with the MN or not, - it was the only thing that had changed in my regime...here's a link to side effects from using MN and its derivatives topically http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/uspdi/202156.html.... and this one is directly miconazole http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/uspdi/202156.html

HoneyDew said:
Here is info about Miconazole Nitrate:
http://www.pdrhealth.com/drug_info/rxdrugprofiles/drugs/mon1273.shtml

I have done lots of research on Miconazole Nitrate and never found any info on long term effects.

MonaRae said:
Oh, Thanks Ftballwidow, this is just the info I needed. I am currently using coconut oil and I have oregano oil (to scare to use this on my scalp) but oregano oil is known to kill off yeast.

I will try to mix coconut oil with oil of oregano and throw in some tea tree, of COURSE I will be using small amount as both oil of oregano and tea tree may have a burning effect.

I'll keep you posted on my findings.

MonaRae
I hope it works out. But what I'm thinking is that it is something chemical in MN that is making the growth happen. I haven't done any research, but a lot of us use the things I mentioned above and we don't have the kind of growth people are talking about. So maybe when you find the right combo of natural things that are antifungal it will happen. I also wonder about other antifungal drugs like lotirmin and all the others that are on that aisle? Will they work too? I guess what I'm saying is that it doesn't seem to be the fact that is it antifungual but maybe something else/combo of the chemicals that are in MN that are causing all the growth. Later I'll have to look through the research

Anyway hopefully it works out for you. I love natural stuff, you try to fix one thing and heal 5 other things along with it.

WHEEEE . .. that was close, I thought you were gonna say it made some one's hair fall out.... we sure don't want that to happen. I can deal with a head ache Loss of appetite, Dizziness, Diarrhea and Bitter taste :lachen:, but we don't want to lose strands!

I will never use this product and certainly haven't considered it, but I want to say GREAT POST, MonaRae. People will turn a blind eye sometimes, when they think they will get instant gratification. It's great to have someone warning people about the dangers that they may encounter. It doesn't matter if this info has been posted before, sometimes people miss things and others need to be reminded. Besides, is anything on this board new anyway. It's all pretty redundant! Good job looking out for your hairboard sisters MonaRae!!!

I believe topical use of MN is safe to use of the scalp and the brand that I use DAKTARIN(2% MN) does state in the leaflet that it came with that it can be used for hands, feet, outer ear, trunk, groin or SCALP.

Its also safe enough to treat infected nappy rash. Its what us in the UK use but i'm sure you should be able to find it in the US. It's made by Janssen-Cilag and I've know about this product for years but not about the hair growth benefits.

Faith said:
Mona if you find MN on the natural side let me know :)

What do you guys think of this product:

http://www.seagateproducts.com/product55.html

OliveViate antifungal

Topical Anti-Fungal Relief

Indications: For the temporary relief of skin rashes, dry itching skin, flaking, burning, scaly and inflamed skin, and cracks between toes. For the temporary relief of the symptoms of eczema and athlete’s foot (Tinea pedis).

Skin Relief: Olive•Viate homeopathic medicine provides safe topical treatment for a variety of skin rashes and irritations. Olive•Viate is chemical-free and has proven to be a safe and effective remedy. The olive and coconut base, along with the concentrated omega-3 fatty acids and natural vitamin E provide excellent antimicrobial and antioxidant protection for the skin. Regular daily applications onto dry, cracking, itching skin, and skin affected by athlete’s foot and eczema, will help to relieve discomfort and promote the repair and healing process.

Ingredients: Olive•Viate is formulated and manufactured in accordance with strict FDA pharmaceutical standards to ensure safety and purity. Seagate combines four homeopathic ingredients (Graphites, Hepar sulphuris calcareum, Rhus toxicodendron, and Sulphur) within a base of virgin olive oil, natural coconut oil, omega-3 shark liver oil, and natural vitamin E.

Last edited:
I'm using the elta trivase and the only warning on mine has .........

*For external use only
*Avoid contact with eyes
*Do not use on children under the age of 2 yrs
*If condition worsens consult a doctor

So i don't see where the life or death harm is.Its a topical antifungal cream meant to go on the "skin",it ain't like i'm ingesting this crap so i will contiue until i'm tired or sick of using it.;) ;)

Last edited:
i hope someone reads this:

anywho, i posted this at another hair board (sjgs @ nappturality). i really think you guys should do more rigourous research before applying any of this stuff to your hair. i dont want you guys to end up choosing a product that seems to be giving good results just to find out that you screwed up your hair

any way, Miconazole Nitrate is:
- basic
- a good oxidizing agent
this means that there is a potential that your hair will denature (and thus weaken). plus chances are since it is more basic and you are noticing more growth, maybe it is because the hair is coming out straighter/ is being slightly straightened. any sort of relax in the curl will appear like more growth/ a thicker layer of new growth. im not saying it DOESNT work because i dont know... it could work but i highly doubt it

any way, the point of this post is just to warn you ladies. if the hair is destroyed, you may see it on the floor of your bath room in a few months... im interested to see the results in about 6 months :/ chances are though the amount of it in the over the counter drugs is so low that it will not do much of anything to your hair or scalp but clarify it and kill all bacteria in the area of application

just watch out ladies!! i just hope no one ends up searching for the "best" hair growth serum to end up messing up the hair that they have worked so hard to grow

happy growing

ill just mention again that at its dosage level, it may be harmless. i dont know about repeated application (for instance calamine lotion that you put on rashes can be toxic if you apply it too much- when i had the chicken pox i used the stuff to get rid of the itch. i went to the docs after using it for a few days and they said that i was within a day or two before it would have been toxic).

im not trying to scare anyone. just remember, your scalp is porous and absorbs nearly EVERYTHING. who knows how many applications is needed before this stuff can become an irritant and even become toxic...

TropicalRose said:
i hope someone reads this:

anywho, i posted this at another hair board (sjgs @ nappturality). i really think you guys should do more rigourous research before applying any of this stuff to your hair. i dont want you guys to end up choosing a product that seems to be giving good results just to find out that you screwed up your hair

any way, Miconazole Nitrate is:
- basic
- a good oxidizing agent
this means that there is a potential that your hair will denature (and thus weaken). plus chances are since it is more basic and you are noticing more growth, maybe it is because the hair is coming out straighter/ is being slightly straightened. any sort of relax in the curl will appear like more growth/ a thicker layer of new growth. im not saying it DOESNT work because i dont know... it could work but i highly doubt it

any way, the point of this post is just to warn you ladies. if the hair is destroyed, you may see it on the floor of your bath room in a few months... im interested to see the results in about 6 months :/ chances are though the amount of it in the over the counter drugs is so low that it will not do much of anything to your hair or scalp but clarify it and kill all bacteria in the area of application

just watch out ladies!! i just hope no one ends up searching for the "best" hair growth serum to end up messing up the hair that they have worked so hard to grow

happy growing

I read it. Thanks for the info.

I have a friend/neighbor that has used it for years when she want to grow a cut out faster and never has a problem. She is not relaxed, though, so I don;t know if that makes a difference.

TropicalRose said:
ill just mention again that at its dosage level, it may be harmless. i dont know about repeated application (for instance calamine lotion that you put on rashes can be toxic if you apply it too much- when i had the chicken pox i used the stuff to get rid of the itch. i went to the docs after using it for a few days and they said that i was within a day or two before it would have been toxic).

im not trying to scare anyone. just remember, your scalp is porous and absorbs nearly EVERYTHING. who knows how many applications is needed before this stuff can become an irritant and even become toxic...

Do think this also applies to the ingredients in our shampoos, conditioners, detergents, etc. I often wonder if those are harmful, as well. Well, I gues that is why many ladies are choosing to go the natural route for their products.

HoneyDew said:
I read it. Thanks for the info.

I have a friend/neighbor that has used it for years when she want to grow a cut out faster and never has a problem. She is not relaxed, though, so I don;t know if that makes a difference.
thats good for her, but im sure you know that what may work for one person may not work for another :/ i just dont want to hear of someone having a serious reaction to it! haha! i dont think anything like that has been tested for use over a long time frame so i dont think no one knows of what can happen down the road

HoneyDew said:
Do think this also applies to the ingredients in our shampoos, conditioners, detergents, etc. I often wonder if those are harmful, as well. Well, I gues that is why many ladies are choosing to go the natural route for their products.

This is the reason why I now use only natural products for my hair and skincare routine.

The skin is the largest organ and a high percentage of what you apply to your skin is absorbed in to your bloodstream

Back