methods to keeping your hair moisturized? (all chime in...especially naturals)

youwillrise

i'm beginning to think that maybe it's not the products that i'm using to moisturize, but the WAY i'm moisturizing? i've tried a billion different products (leave-ins, daily moisturizers) and my hair cant seem to find anything it likes.

as i've said before a moisturizer is the only thing in my regimen that i havent been able to succesfully find.

what are the properties of your hair? and what moisturizing ingredients does it love? what ingredients does it hate?

do you prefer to moisturize on soaking wet hair? damp hair? dry hair? do some products work better for you one way and not so good another way?

do certain styles (along with sealing, of course) help keep moisture in your hair better?

perhaps what you do BEFORE moisturizing makes a difference?

i've also had some products moisturize my hair well, but cause other problems (like s-curl... great softness...but i started to shed a lot more)

i hope my questions make sense. haha.

thanks beauties!

i like this thread, my problem is i always coat the outside of my hair and the inside always feels dry because it doesn't get any. i've started putting moisturizer before i shower with a showercap and i think this has been working. crosses fingers.

i'm beginning to think that maybe it's not the products that i'm using to moisturize, but the WAY i'm moisturizing? i've tried a billion different products (leave-ins, daily moisturizers) and my hair cant seem to find anything it likes.

as i've said before a moisturizer is the only thing in my regimen that i havent been able to succesfully find.

what are the properties of your hair? and what moisturizing ingredients does it love? what ingredients does it hate? My hair is 3b/3c fine. I too had a hard time finding something that would moisterized my hair all day. I finally had to put something together myself and the results have been fantastic. I don't think my hair hates anything specific, but I have learned what it needs at the moment and then when I act on it, my hair is happy.

do you prefer to moisturize on soaking wet hair? damp hair? dry hair? do some products work better for you one way and not so good another way? I find that my hair prefers when its damp than wet or dry. So, everyday, while in the shower, I let the water that sprays out, hit my hair to dampen only, then when I get out I moisturize. Yes, I do find that certain products work differently depending on the moisture level of my hair at the time.

do certain styles (along with sealing, of course) help keep moisture in your hair better? Yes. When my hair is bunned or in a pony puff. When I wear it out, I find that my hair is drier (curly, not straight)

perhaps what you do BEFORE moisturizing makes a difference? I think so, for me that is. I can tell when my hair needs protein because no matter how much I moisturize, my hair gets hard during the day. Once I do a protein treatment...BAM, it's back. I also clarify once a month...and that is good as well.

i've also had some products moisturize my hair well, but cause other problems (like s-curl... great softness...but i started to shed a lot more) Yes, the same with me. Since I made my own, I don't have that problem anymore.

thanks beauties!

Your questions made great sense. :yep:

HTH

I do both damp and dry, but only on wash day. Soon after a wash, I towel dry then apply S-Curl activator--loads of it so hair combs easily. I then style my hair and let it air dry during the day. In the evening, it feels somewhat dry so I apply some more S-Curl just before going to bed. Put my hair in plaits and wear a baggy for the night. In the AM, my hair feels soft and moisturized. It stays that way for the next two or three days with me baggying every night; I need to reapply the S-Curl after those two applications on wash day. This is only when I'm wearing my hair out.

In braids, I just baggy at night w/o products and call it a day. CW or just washing and conditioning at least twice a week seems to keep my hair moisturized.

I usually section my hair in 6 sections..then moisturize each section individually. Can be a pain at times but it pays off. no hairs get ignored this way...my hair hates cones and propylene glycol in moisturizers. So i stay away and ive had much success. since im relaxed i keep the watery spritz for wet hair and use creamy ones on dry hair...but sometimes ill use braid spray on dry ends and immediatelt seal b4 they wave up.

I sleep overnight in conditioner or a moisturizing leave-in with a shower cap 24/7.

Even through midwestern winters. I only do wash and gos and haven't used heat in 5 years.

I DC weekly.

Never protective style (even when my hair was long before I BCed and was relaxed).

I've never had issues with dryness or breakage relaxed or natural.

My regimen being moisture centered and lack of heat are a huge part.

However, what many skip is that STRONG hair, especially black hair can absorb and HOLD moisture.

I did protein on a schedule relaxed. HARD protein AND soft protein through the month.

I do protein frequently now as a natural in spray or masque form.

Focus on moisture and low heat as best as it fits in your life...but don't forget protein!

Strong hair is LONG hair. LONG hair is Moisturized hair. Moisturized hair is STRONG hair.

I agree with finding out what works best for your hair. Mine is a curly 3c in some areas and puffy/frizzy 3c in others. I just recently started using Sally's Generic Brand Nexxus Humectress conditioner daily( I LOVE THIS!) and I noticed my hair is soft and moisturized. Also CW has helped a lot. I find that Suave has good slip for combing, but is very drying on my hair. I also add Aloe Vera Gel and Cantu Leave-in to my hair and seal with Castor oil. By the end of the day when my hair is mostly dry(it never dries 100%), some sections are soft and bouncy and others still moist from the products. HTH

what are the properties of your hair? - I am not sure what you meanby this... but - I am all natural... and I moisturize almost daily..2x a day...

and what moisturizing ingredients does it love? - It loves natural and organic products. I use very few commercial products

I use shealoe,oils, butters, and make moisture spritzes. Aloe Vera and glycerin are good friends of mine.

what ingredients does it hate? - Chems.... Now my virgin hair hates any drying chemical laden product.

do you prefer to moisturize on soaking wet hair? damp hair? dry hair?
I do this on wet, damp and dry............

do some products work better for you one way and not so good another way?

Shea Butter alone does not work for me. Most other natural and organic stuff works well...I have a bunch of it (shea)- but I will just make some lotion or something out of it.

do certain styles (along with sealing, of course) help keep moisture in your hair better?

Well, I keep my hair twisted or braided all the time. It is never out - unless I flat iron it.

Overnight pre poos- or pree poos that last at least 2 hrs will help.
Steam Treatments are a gift from God.

i've also had some products moisturize my hair well, but cause other problems (like s-curl... great softness...but i started to shed a lot more)

I don't know much about s-curl... I don't use it... but maybe you could mix up your own sprays. Garlic oil stops Shedding.

:yep: Totally makes sense.

thanks beauties!

No problem!:yep:

what are the properties of your hair? Fine, dry, protein-sensitive, silicone & petro hating, 4b, SL stretched hair.

What moisturizing ingredients does it love? Humectants - honey, glycerin, honeyquat. Silk Amino Acids. Castor Oil. Water.

what ingredients does it hate? Silicones. Mineral Oils. Petro-anything. Anything that seals my hair away.

do you prefer to moisturize on soaking wet hair? damp hair? dry hair?
I usually do damp & dry, during a single weekend. I'll do my DC on dry hair, almost always. If I've clarified first, depending on the timing, it might be damp. Never on soaking wet hair. I'll apply my leave-in OR sealer (a conditioner mix for the leave-in, castor oil for the sealer, and I don't use them at the same time) on damp hair. If I seal on damp, I'll apply my leave-in on dry. If I don't use a sealer, I'll apply the leave-in on damp.

do some products work better for you one way and not so good another way? Hrrm - not that I've noticed, really.

do certain styles (along with sealing, of course) help keep moisture in your hair better? Not that I've noticed.

Honestly, I think it's a matter of time. I've been on this hair game for over two years, and only in the last six months or so have I been confident that my hair is actually consistently moisturized. I think it takes a while to build up the moisture, and to get your hair healthy enough to actually hold it.

The questions I usually pose to people who are suffering from consistently dry hair:
1) When's the last time you clarified?
2) When's the last time you chelated?
3) Does your leave-in's have 'coating agents'? (silicones, etc?)
4) Have you tried overnight sessions?
5) Have you taken you hair to overmoist?
6) How often are you DC'ing?
7) Is your hair colored?
8) Is your hair relaxed?
9) Have you tried a porousity treatment?

what are the properties of your hair? and what moisturizing ingredients does it love? what ingredients does it hate? My hair is a mix of a lot of hair types, but mostly it's very fluffy, prone to dryness. My hair loves coconut oil LOVES it. But hates raw shea or cocoa butters.

do you prefer to moisturize on soaking wet hair? damp hair? dry hair? do some products work better for you one way and not so good another way? On soaking wet hair I use profectiv break free and let it air dry, then usually when I'm about 80% dry I work Hollywood beauty olive oil cream into it, seal with coconut oil, baggy my bun and go to bed. I figured out that I need a little moisture at each stage of wet, damp and dry to keep my hair moist. Otherwise it gets frizzy and dries crunchy.

do certain styles (along with sealing, of course) help keep moisture in your hair better? I have been bunning for months so I'm not sure LOL.

I've learned that my hair needs lots and lots and lots of moisturizing. It's healthy and strong but it's like my Mom's hair in that it needs moisture. Also, I've learned to be really thorough when I moisturize, I part my hair and moisturize section by section instead of just doing it randomly with my palms if that makes sense. That way the inside area of my hair gets just as much moisture. And I use extra around my edges because that comes into contact with the scarf I wear at night and my pillow if it falls off.

And if I do any kind of protein henna, hardcore protein whatever I need hardcore moisture or my hair will be dry and angry.

Hey Runner, haven't seen you around in a bit. Okay, answers in purple.

what are the properties of your hair? and what moisturizing ingredients does it love? what ingredients does it hate?

I'm natural 4b. My hair is very resistant to products in general. It's better now that the weather is warm, so any answer I give is only for this time of year. For the winter? Shoot, I haven't figured out a way to make it moisturized then, either. But I don't care as much as some people. Anyway, because my hair is resistant to most products, it's hard for me to say it loves or hates anything. It is mostly unimpressed by products. But I like heavy creams or light butters.

do you prefer to moisturize on soaking wet hair? damp hair? dry hair? do some products work better for you one way and not so good another way?

I almost always put product on wet hair. Sometimes on damp hair. At least for the products I call "moisturizing". This makes a lot of difference for me.

Yes, non-loose styles help. So I apply the product to wet hair and twist it up. The hair should dry in twists at least. This also makes a lot of difference.

Perhaps. I've started detangling before washing, and I think for some people what I use and how long it sits on may qualify as a pre-poo or DC. This also makes a noticeable difference.

thanks beauties!

I treat my hair exactly the same now as I did when it was natural. So here is my moisture method.

I DC at least once a week. This is my real secret. I DC overnight with ORS.
I co-wash a few times a week and style with a leave in. My leave in goes on wet hair and I just let it dry. I may seal the very ends with castor oil here and there. My hair is fine so I can put a lot on my hair so I try to put it in through DCing.

Since just about every product I use is mositure focussed my hair is rarely dry.

perhaps what you do BEFORE moisturizing makes a difference? I think so, for me that is. I can tell when my hair needs protein because no matter how much I moisturize, my hair gets hard during the day. Once I do a protein treatment...BAM, it's back. I also clarify once a month...and that is good as well.

I experience this and I didnt know what the issue was. I thouht that when your hair got hard that meant you needed more moisture? How does that work when your hair gets hard it needs protein? Wouldn't that make it worse?

I sleep overnight in conditioner or a moisturizing leave-in with a shower cap 24/7.

Even through midwestern winters. I only do wash and gos and haven't used heat in 5 years.

I DC weekly.

Never protective style (even when my hair was long before I BCed and was relaxed).

I've never had issues with dryness or breakage relaxed or natural.

My regimen being moisture centered and lack of heat are a huge part.

However, what many skip is that STRONG hair, especially black hair can absorb and HOLD moisture.

I did protein on a schedule relaxed. HARD protein AND soft protein through the month.

I do protein frequently now as a natural in spray or masque form.

Focus on moisture and low heat as best as it fits in your life...but don't forget protein!

Strong hair is LONG hair. LONG hair is Moisturized hair. Moisturized hair is STRONG hair.

So natural heads DO need protein in order to hold moisture in? So we shouldn't be avoiding it then?

Back