Men living at home, are some unfairly judged?

We all know how women feel about a grown behind man who doesn't have his own place. It's not sexy, and where are we going to go to get some alone time:lol:? However, I've come across a few stories shared by men who felt like they were being unfairly judged because they were living at home. I'm going to provide a few real-life scenarios and I want to know what you all think.

Scenario A: Guy has his own place, is financially stable and makes around $50,000 a year plus bonuses. He gets accepted into a graduate program that will train him in a field where he is guaranteed a starting salary in the 6 figures. The program is about 12 months long and the school is back in his hometown. He makes the decision to move back home for that time to pursue his studies. He'll save money this way, especially since he's going a year without a salary. Naturally, once he graduates he will find a new job and have his own place once again. You meet him right when he starts graduate school. Would you give him a chance?

Scenario B: Single guy has his own place, job, car, etc... when his father passes away suddenly. His mother is left living alone and distraught. Upon seeing his mother in this condition, he decides to move home, temporarily, to take care of his mother and help her sort out a few things. While he lives at home he is helping to pay bills (but still has plenty of spending money left over) so his mother can save more in order to move to another city where most of her family reside. Once she moves, he inherits the house (which is very nice). She is about 5-7 months away from her move and you meet him during this time. Do you give him a chance?

Scenario C: Man comes from a family where it is customary for the children to live at home until they get a career/married as his older siblings did the same. He just finished up his doctorate and is looking for his future wife. He still lives at home, but because he lives at home and his education was paid for, he has no debt and he has impressive savings. He is starting his new career and meets you during this time. He explains to you that he comes from a family of property owners and does not believe in renting, therefore, his first place away from home will be a home he owns. He plans on house hunting once he has been working his job for about 6 months. Would you give him a chance?

None of these guys are lying or exaggerating. They really have these plans set in place. They are great in ever other way for you. Do you deal with months to years of a guy not having his own place if he still comes off as a responsible man with serious goals in his future and little to no debt? Let's assume that these relationships have serious potential. Do you hang it there or seek out a guy who has more independence at the moment?

A. No... but I'm saying this as a 32-year-old. If I was in my 20s, I'd consider it. If I'm 32 and looking to be married, a guy who's just starting graduate school probably doesn't have marriage on his mind for a few years. He's in a transitional stage in his life, while I'm not, so that man would not be worth it.

B. Yes... but if he starts pushing back the date of his mother's move out, I'd move on. I'd need to make sure this was an actual plan and would go just as he said.

C. Yes, if I determined that this was indeed cultural and was able to talk to the siblings and see that this was a normal family pattern. However, again, I need to see some action as it gets close to that six-month mark, because he very well could decide at Month 5.5 that it would be nice to "save more money." I knew a guy like this who never moved out... he always talked about how much money he was saving and how he was going to have so much down on the new home he was gonna buy, but dude was mid-30s and still saying this... but never doing anything!

We all know how women feel about a grown behind man who doesn't have his own place. It's not sexy, and where are we going to go to get some alone time:lol:? However, I've come across a few stories shared by men who felt like they were being unfairly judged because they were living at home. I'm going to provide a few real-life scenarios and I want to know what you all think.

Scenario A: Guy has his own place, is financially stable and makes around $50,000 a year plus bonuses. He gets accepted into a graduate program that will train him in a field where he is guaranteed a starting salary in the 6 figures. The program is about 12 months long and the school is back in his hometown. He makes the decision to move back home for that time to pursue his studies. He'll save money this way, especially since he's going a year without a salary. Naturally, once he graduates he will find a new job and have his own place once again. You meet him right when he starts graduate school. Would you give him a chance?

If I was in my twenties or early thirties MAYBE, but I doubt it. You wanna know why? Cause when I was in my twenties I dreaded going to a guy's house that lived with his parents or family. There's no privacy and to be honest, I don't want to have to speak to folks all the time who I don't feel like being bothered with. I most definitely couldn't have sex there for fear others could hear. Luckily for me and AT THAT TIME, it was easy for young people to get their own place, so I always had my own.

Scenario B: Single guy has his own place, job, car, etc... when his father passes away suddenly. His mother is left living alone and distraught. Upon seeing his mother in this condition, he decides to move home, temporarily, to take care of his mother and help her sort out a few things. While he lives at home he is helping to pay bills (but still has plenty of spending money left over) so his mother can save more in order to move to another city where most of her family reside. Once she moves, he inherits the house (which is very nice). She is about 5-7 months away from her move and you meet him during this time. Do you give him a chance?

This happened with one of my exes. Mother was supposed to move down south with another sister, but after a couple of months decided she wanted to come back "home". Also, even though the house was supposedly "his" the other siblings who grew up there never accepted it and still came over whenever they wanted. Needless to say I stopped coming over as much, even though he was staying in the basement. I had my own place, so if he wanted to see me he came to my spot. So I guess the answer is NO. I gotta be sure she ain't coming back EVER.

Scenario C: Man comes from a family where it is customary for the children to live at home until they get a career/married as his older siblings did the same. He just finished up his doctorate and is looking for his future wife. He still lives at home, but because he lives at home and his education was paid for, he has no debt and he has impressive savings. He is starting his new career and meets you during this time. He explains to you that he comes from a family of property owners and does not believe in renting, therefore, his first place away from home will be a home he owns. He plans on house hunting once he has been working his job for about 6 months. Would you give him a chance?

Hell no! I couldn't care less about him having a savings and no debt. The man must be in his late thirties if he just finished his doctorate's degree. My AMERICAN culture says a man needs to have his own place or at least sharing space with a roommate by a certain age. I don't care about his occupation or how successful he is, I don't want his family in my business nor do I want to see their faces every time I come over his house. Of course, sex is out of the question.

None of these guys are lying or exaggerating. They really have these plans set in place. They are great in ever other way for you. Do you deal with months to years of a guy not having his own place if he still comes off as a responsible man with serious goals in his future and little to no debt? Let's assume that these relationships have serious potential. Do you hang it there or seek out a guy who has more independence at the moment?

I want someone with more independence, but that's ME.

Every person needs to decide what's best for her, but the less his family knows about you the better. As a teenager you have to put up with family in your biz, but as an adult NO. Folks is nosy.

A. No... but I'm saying this as a 32-year-old. If I was in my 20s, I'd consider it. If I'm 32 and looking to be married, a guy who's just starting graduate school probably doesn't have marriage on his mind for a few years. He's in a transitional stage in his life, while I'm not, so that man would not be worth it.

B. Yes... but if he starts pushing back the date of his mother's move out, I'd move on. I'd need to make sure this was an actual plan and would go just as he said.

C. Yes, if I determined that this was indeed cultural and was able to talk to the siblings and see that this was a normal family pattern. However, again, I need to see some action as it gets close to that six-month mark, because he very well could decide at Month 5.5 that it would be nice to "save more money." I knew a guy like this who never moved out... he always talked about how much money he was saving and how he was going to have so much down on the new home he was gonna buy, but dude was mid-30s and still saying this... but never doing anything!

You and I are >>>>>here<<<<<<<<.

I seriously cannot deal with a mother or sibling in my business. I remember dating this one dude in my early twenties. He lived with his family in an apartment and he asked me to move in with him. I thought it would be cool. Well, a couple of times we bought chinese food home to eat and didn't offer anyone or anything, because well...it was OUR food. They cooked and we didn't.

One particular day, his grown *** country hick sister picked an argument with me over some bullcrap and brought up the fact that me and her brother would buy takeout and never offer them any. I was like WTF are you talking about? She said that we sit up there eating our food and only think about ourselves. Your damn right! Not my problem her fat *** didn't have a job, but back in those days I know she got a ton of foodstamps and a bunch of cash from welfare for her and her kid.

Anyway, right after that argument I moved back in with my friend's mom and said NEVER AGAIN. And I meant it too. It was only two weeks, but sheesh!

You're right. This guy is 25 so I could perhaps see a woman who is his age or maybe a little younger having no problem with this.

This happened with one of my exes. Mother was supposed to move down south with another sister, but after a couple of months decided she wanted to come back "home". Also, even though the house was supposedly "his" the other siblings who grew up there never accepted it and still came over whenever they wanted. Needless to say I stopped coming over as much, even though he was staying in the basement. I had my own place, so if he wanted to see me he came to my spot. So I guess the answer is NO. I gotta be sure she ain't coming back EVER.

That is not cool:nono:.

Hell no! I couldn't care less about him having a savings and no debt. The man must be in his late thirties if he just finished his doctorate's degree. My AMERICAN culture says a man needs to have his own place or at least sharing space with a roommate by a certain age. I don't care about his occupation or how successful he is, I don't want his family in my business nor do I want to see their faces every time I come over his house. Of course, sex is out of the question.

I can understand this. I'm not sure if this makes a difference, but his family home is huge (they are very wealthy) and he has his own "wing" and private entrance so to speak so there is complete privacy, but he is still living with his parents, so they'll know when you are over if your car is there or something. That would bother me a little.

Last edited:
Yeah I'd give them all a chance. I'm trying to figure out in what order though :scratchch

Maybe in order of time.

B
C
A

B & C would seem the most ready to settle down, but I'd wonder if family would be too close for comfort at times.

I'd probably say yes to all three but I'd make sure he isn't a mama's boy first.

Same here. People move back home for all kinds of reasons, on in scenario 3, never leave for various reasons. Doesn't bother me. If I see they can and do handle their own business and I feel comfortable that he has an adult mentality, I'm cool with him living at home. Plus, I believe in two families coming together when a marriage takes place. So other family members presence wouldn't bother me.

I will say I have noticed adult children who have moved back home tend to create a home within a home. They may be living in their own 'apartment' within the family house. Not just taking up a bedroom in the house. Again, I have no problem with this.

Same here. People move back home for all kinds of reasons, on in scenario 3, never leave for various reasons. Doesn't bother me. If I see they can and do handle their own business and I feel comfortable that he has an adult mentality, I'm cool with him living at home. Plus, I believe in two families coming together when a marriage takes place. So other family members presence wouldn't bother me.

I will say I have noticed adult children who have moved back home tend to create a home within a home. They may be living in their own 'apartment' within the family house. Not just taking up a bedroom in the house. Again, I have no problem with this.

Agreed. My ex lived at home until he was 30 (yes, there was an age gap:look:) and then moved to another city (where I lived at the time) and got his own place. I saw the negative affects of his decision. Sure he had little debt because his student loans were paid off but he had no concept of independence. Within a year of living there (we were broken up by then) he was down and out. His savings were gone because he lost his job and had to use his savings to maintain. Most of his issues were caused by poor decisions. For example, he lived in an expensive apartment complex where he was paying close to $1000 monthly for a studio apartment. That is considered pretty expensive in that city. He could have rented a larger place for 1/2 of that but according to him "they weren't nice enough:rolleyes:." So I can definitely see why some women judge men who are still living at home at a certain age. I need a guy who can be independent but would give all three guys a chance.

I would give them a chance provided they were marriage minded and their plan was TRULY in action and not all talk.

I'd probably say yes to all three if they really have their ish together. My SO is 35 and lives at home, basically to save money. It's pretty customary for grown ups in his country to live at home until marriage though. And before he moved back here, he lived in the US alone for 11 years, doing everything himself--so I'm not worried about him being helpless.

I'd say no to B and C and possibly to A. No to guy B because that's the famous lie all guys that live with their parents claim. The whole "I live with my mom to help her out" crap. I'm sorry, but there are plenty of professional services available to the elderly that can be obtained and it's fairly easy to manage a sick/aging parents' finances without actually living with them. It's usually a copout/lie. No to guy 'C' because I can't seriously consider being with a man who has never proven that he can live independently as an adult and maintain a home physically and financially. Sorry, I refuse to deal with a husband that has moved straight from his parents' home to our marital home. I've seen how that plays out with situations my friends have gone through and it's disastrous most times. Guy 'A' I could deal with because it's definitely a temporary thing and he's proven that he's capable of living on his own and saving money prior.

How would you all feel if a man was a caregiver for his parent/parents with Alzheimers/Dementia?

NO, because as my man or future husband I'll have to help out too and I'm not the caregiving type. There are nurses and homes for that.

You have to really love that person to sacrifice your patience in that manner.

That is not cool:nono:.

I can understand this. I'm not sure if this makes a difference, but his family home is huge (they are very wealthy) and he has his own "wing" and private entrance so to speak so there is complete privacy, but he is still living with his parents, so they'll know when you are over if your care is there or something. That would bother me a little.

Exactly. As far as I'm concerned he still lives with his parents. I don't care how far on the other side of the house it is.

All 3 situations are acceptable to me, but #3 is the shakiest. If I was celibate #3 is okay, if not, he would need to take me on a lot of weekend trips. :look:

A. Maybe
B. Yes.
c. Hell no. I firmly believe both men and women need to live on their own for a minimum of 1 year.

I'd say no to B and C and possibly to A. No to guy B because that's the famous lie all guys that live with their parents claim. The whole "I live with my mom to help her out" crap. I'm sorry, but there are plenty of professional services available to the elderly that can be obtained and it's fairly easy to manage a sick/aging parents' finances without actually living with them. It's usually a copout/lie. No to guy 'C' because I can't seriously consider being with a man who has never proven that he can live independently as an adult and maintain a home physically and financially. Sorry, I refuse to deal with a husband that has moved straight from his parents' home to our marital home. I've seen how that plays out with situations my friends have gone through and it's disastrous most times. Guy 'A' I could deal with because it's definitely a temporary thing and he's proven that he's capable of living on his own and saving money prior.

I've heard this one before, but in this case the guy is being honest and the plans are set in motion. They have no other family anywhere close since they moved there for his father's job years ago. Since his father's death was sudden, his mother is grieving and unable to really do a whole lot and just wants to move back to her hometown. I can understand someone not wanting to get involved in all of that, but I know he isn't lying.

A. Maybe
B. Yes.
c. Hell no. I firmly believe both men and women need to live on their own for a minimum of 1 year.

Oh I'm sure he's definitely planning to live on his own for a while. I am familiar with his family since his father is an Economics professor I took a few classes from and he's over a club I was once a member of. He comes from a good family that is very well off and they are all very serious about education as everyone has a doctorate. I do believe that the cultural differences become more apparent when it comes to issues like this one. I'd be uncomfortable dating a guy who was still living at home at a certain age, but his older siblings did the same thing and they all are living very well now. I know he has considered relationships with American women but if he dates a woman with a similar background to himself, I think he will face less scrutiny. I actually think that if he were to date a woman from a similar socioeconomic background he'd come across more women who have encountered similar scenarios. It is probably a little more common for older children to remain at home while finishing up their studies in wealthier families.

A. Yes.

B. Probably not. Its not about the living arrangement but just too much drama in general and too much focus on the mom. Maybe in a couple months when all that's subsided.

C. Maybe but probably no, because he may be spoiled and has a maid cleaning after him. He has a lot to learn about finances, responsibilities, chores, etc. He needs time to do that first. But if he lived in the pool house or something then maybe.

^^^^ LOL @ pool house. You made me think of Carlton and Will on the Fresh Prince! Jeffrey still came out there sometimes, tho

Honestly yes to all three and this would have to be the real deal, not some bogus excuse.

Btw it happened to me, the guy I was dating was away at school once he graduated he decided to come back home to care for his mom who had cancer. He had a job and was very career oriented and is now starting grad school. He's 26.

How old are all three guys? Did I miss that?

I think I'd say no to all three. I've never dated a man that lived at home. lol That's a bit awkward. I could imagine him wanting to come to my house all the time. Uh uh!

How would you all feel if a man was a caregiver for his parent/parents with Alzheimers/Dementia?

My answer to this would definitely be no. How can you date me if you're a caregiver who also has a full time job? Caregivers do not have time for relationships.

Back