MEDIATAKEOUT.....nuff said

I had to google her to find out what she looked like before. Thank the gods she took that weave out of her head. It was doing no one any good.

I like her natural style, but I agree with Je Nais Se Quoi. From the looks of it, she may have combed it dry. I know my hair takes on some interesting shapes if I comb it while dry, which I used to do before joining LHCF.

But other than that, I love it. It looks pretty awesome.

I agree as well. Looks sorta dry.

She does look so much better with her natural hair. I would add some twists to the sides for a funkier look. :grin:

To be honest I don't like the shape of her fro, but I think she looks so much better with her natural hair and she looks so much younger. And her hair texture is beautiful, like a cloud or cotton. I find it funny how curly natural hair is acceptable and beautiful, but when it's "nappy" or cottony or cloudy like I like to call it, folks (not on this board, but IRL) are quick to tell you to perm your ish.

I like her hair. I think it looks nice. And I don't think it looks dry. Jay Z's hair looked dry, Monique's hair looks fine.

Awww this makes me happy to see her with her hair out....so many little girls look up to her and admire her and this is a great message she is sending to young african american females....now lets hope that some of their moms have not already introduced them to the other side lol :look:...but good for her!!! Does look a little dry, but atleast its hers!! lol

I hate to burst anyone's bubble but while I have one of the kinkiest textures on the forum, I have to admit I can totally see why people may not like that do, and it has nothing to do with the texture. It has more to do with the Don King-ish effect.

If it were me, I'd have had the 'fro looking more like this:
iverson-afro.jpg

and again, that's just my personal taste. I prefer the appearance of combed hair and always have.

When I tried my first WNG puff, I got this:
FirstAttemptataPuff-vi.jpg

While I was pleased that my hair had grown so much longer that my puff could be worn further back, I think it looked like sh** but I didn't realize just how ugly it looked until I took that pic at the end of the day after wearing that mess all day :giggle: And I never wore it like that again because it's not a look I find appealing.

Now when I wore the puff combed out, no one could tell me I wasn't FIYAH.
roPuffSept12008Justoutofbraids-vi.jpg

In fact, I felt so hawt that day that I wore my "Are You Nikos' Cousin?" T-shirt for the first time and went out to town just for the heck of it.

This reminds me of a discussion I missed the other day where people got their knickers in a bunch over our hair being called "unkempt". I know for those of us who are comfortable with chunky 'fros, this can seem like such an unfair statement. But for those of us who are not used seeing people walk out the house with hair that looks like it has never seen a comb, "unkempt" comes to mind with quickness and it has nothing to do with texture.

For instance, I grew up in Kenya and natural 4B hair was more common than other textures, yet I cannot recall anyone ever coming to school with hair looking like this and being allowed to keep it that way. My folks would not allow my brothers to leave the house to go to school with hair looking like this:
Beyonce+Jay+Z+Out+New+York+City+JMGGCqgZxuCl.jpg

And actually the only time my brothers wore hair like that was when they were being rebellious teens but only behind my folks' back...and when not going anywhere in particular.

And we didn't even know about CWing or using water-based moisturizers to soften hair and make it easy to comb. What folks would use is a wooden brush with wooden short bristles ("kikwalusi" is what we call it in my mother-tongue) and you'd rake it through your usually damp hair till you had it looking decent. Otherwise you used a "pick" and combed it then patted it, if it was long, till it looked like this (same dude):
youngjazojayz-vi.jpg

But since combing our hair can be painful if not done properly, majority of the boys in my school (and the girls who were not trying to grow long hair), and especially my brothers, just wore their hair cut short as this was easier to keep looking neat:
Jay-Z-1.jpg

So I think there are two issues at hand: There are those who will never like natural hair regardless of how healthy it is or how beautiful it is worn; and there are those who can appreciate natural hair but only when it is worn in a do that looks good in their eyes.

The only reason, I personally, would give that hair on MTO kudos is because I know its potential and love the length, and so can see beyond the do to its health and beauty; I can even give it the benefit of the doubt that it looks like that coz it's much later in the day since she combed out the 'fro. Coz anyone that's ever worn an afro knows, especially with long hair, if the 'fro isn't patted all the way down to form a compact microphone shape, it will probably not maintain the dome shape all day. That's a lot easier to do with short hair. And for that, I can give her a pass.

Other examples of hair (my mom's) that I'd not particularly call cute and didn't care for:
HeatDamagedHair-vi.jpg

And then the same head (mom's) sporting the same hair in a better state that I just can't stop singing praises of:
MomsSCurledHair-vi.jpg

Last edited:
You know that girl is almost 30 and she plays a teenager in High School musical. She looks good!

Is she really almost 30???? I would have never guessed that. She looks even better to me now...........:yep:!!!

I thought she was around the same age as the other HSM cast. Wow!

Work it then, Monique!!!!

The reality is that there is a world of folks who just don't see the beauty in natural afro-hair. Including some afro-people. The world has conditioned us all to believe that straight is beautiful and that's it. . .now I have relaxed hair, because I'mlazy and it's easy, but believe you me, if I weren't such a lazy hair person, I'd love to rock mine natural.

I like the second pic with the full body + plus the hair!! I think she looks cute!! Black people are sooo brainwashed!! The comments left were so ignorant!!

We still have a long way to go. I love her hair. I never really liked that weave on her. I always wondered why she dont get a lacefront.

i love her fro. i didn't even notice that it was dry. i prefer the imperfect fros or chunky fros better than the afros that are perfect spheres.

but those comments... that's the first time i heard men telling a woman to get a perm. they serious?

This is when I was natural. I think she have had it chunk like this

007silvsmoo2.jpg

My hair lookde dry here too, but actually it was really moisturized. Maybe she should have put like a sheen hair to give it that moisturized look. :yep:

ringsidemyfilt.jpg

Mediatakeout isn't exactly high class news and you know the kind of audience it is targeting is suspect. I read it from time to time but hmmm...So you can't take those things personal and it is sad that in 2009 we still view ourselves in this light.

MV5BMTA4MTEyMjA1NjZeQTJeQWpwZ15BbWU2MDczNTkyOA@@._V1._SX335_SY400_.jpg

MV5BMTY5MjEyMTI3N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzM1OTI2Mg@@._V1._SX267_SY400_.jpg

An undeniable, major improvement. I had no idea she was 28 with that wretched weave. But when I saw the 'fro, I swore she was a teen.
More young Black girls/women need to see that this is real beauty; there are more than enough weaved up heads in Hollywood.

This is when I was natural. I think she have had it chunk like this

007silvsmoo2.jpg

My hair lookde dry here too, but actually it was really moisturized. Maybe she should have put like a sheen hair to give it that moisturized look. :yep:

ringsidemyfilt.jpg

I don't think your hair looks dry at all. But maybe that's because I have never expected my own hair to shine the way say Asian hair shines. In other words, I know my own hair's limits and love it just as it is. I prefer your hair in the second pic so much more than in the chunky fro'. Again, it's a personal preference. Shine has never been a major factor in my appreciating hair. I don't even use styling gels that give shine. I do appreciate it when I see it as it adds a bit of oomph but its absence doesn't take away from the beauty of a style. Some of my favorite dos had the least shine. This do for instance is one of my favorite and I had no product whatsoever on my hair:
Mynewtwistupdo-vi.jpg

I don't think your hair looks dry at all. But maybe that's because I have never expected my own hair to shine the way say Asian hair shines. In other words, I know my own hair's limits and love it just as it is. I prefer your hair in the second pic so much more than in the chunky fro'. Again, it's a personal preference. Shine has never been a major factor in my appreciating hair. I don't even use styling gels that give shine. I do appreciate it when I see it as it adds a bit of oomph but its absence doesn't take away from the beauty of a style. Some of my favorite dos had the least shine. This do for instance is one of my favorite and I had no product whatsoever on my hair:
Mynewtwistupdo-vi.jpg

I like this style. :yep:

i prefer the imperfect fros or chunky fros better than the afros that are perfect spheres.

I feel the EXACT same way! My absolute least favorite natural style are afros w/perfect spheres. I absolutely adore chunky fros and can't wait to rock one!

I like Monique's hair but I would've accessorized a little bit more. Perhaps a headband. Or even some micro cornrows in the front. That's more my personal style though.

Pookaloo83,

YOU ARE GORGEOUS!!! Your hair doesn't look dry in either photo either!!! I really love your hair in the first photo too. It's funky! Love it!

wow, she looks so much better like this. so much better. she needs to throw out those ugly obvious looking weaves hat she always wears.

ohh i was so upset when i saw this, its people like those that discourage so many of us to take the proper care of our hair, I think she is beautiful, and her fro is fierce.

Back