MBL 2013 Challenge!

irisak said:
Girl I'm trying to hold strong and not relax until 8/21 which is 12 weeks for me but I have so much new growth already it's getting hard..

Sent from my HTC EVO using LHCF. any spelling errors should be blamed on auto-correct.

Lets see if I hold out until 8/21 that will be 10 wks for me....hhhhhmmm I may try I just dont want a lot of breakage. My stylist will be dogging me for the newgrowth I just know it! Lol....if I can keep the newgrowth soft I may go for it.

I'm in...my first challenge, I'm excited!

Current Length: APL
Current State of Hair [(Natural/Relaxed/Transitioning (length of transition)/Stretching (length of relaxer stretch)] – You can also include hair type if you like: Relaxed/definitely in the 4s but I'm not sure where really. I haven't seen my natural texture without relaxed hair attached so I don't know what it is for sure.
Regimen (including what precise steps you are taking in order to get to MBL): TU maximum of 4 times per year (definitely a change for me since I'm concluding my first 16-week stretch ever with some mad NG)
Shampoo at least 1 time weekly with sulfate-free shampoo/Moisturizing DC after each shampoo/Protein DC when needed always with heat
Twist outs and other no-heat required protective styling except on special occasions.
Trim after upcoming TU for my starting photo and as needed throughout the challenge
Be patient and play it by ear the rest of the way
What month in 2013 you hope to be at MBL: August 2013

image-2255911225.jpg

Starting photo...touch up yesterday(7/21/2012). Got my ends trimmed, too - my raggedy-assed ends were touching my bra strap before the trim. I have a long way to go to get to MBL but I'm on my way. Let's see what the next 16-weeks brings. Good luck all!

Last edited:
Hi everyone! I'm so excited to join this challenge :grin:

Current Length: APL
Current State of Hair: Natural
Regimen: Wash and DC once a week. Take Hairfinity vitamins and use my MN mix on my scalp daily.
Goals for each check-in date:
August 15, 2012 - Full APL
December 31, 2012 - Grazing BSL
April 30, 2013 - Full BSL
August 15, 2013 - Grazing MBL
December 31, 2013 - Full MBL
What month in 2013 you hope to be at MBL - August

HHJ everyone!

Last edited:
I'm in after being in hiatus for over half a decade!

Current Length: BSL
Current State of Hair: Natural 4A, Fine
Regimen: Curly Girl Method, Minimalist
August 15, 2012 - Past BSL
December 31, 2012 - Heading toward MBL
April 30, 2013 - Still Heading toward MBL
August 15, 2013 - Not quite there yet
December 31, 2013 - Grazing MBL
What month in 2013 you hope to be at MBL - Don't know because this is my first time actually monitoring length. We shall see how fast or slow my hair grows now that I am not cutting it constantly.

Attachments

• DSCN2993.jpg
    DSCN2993.jpg
    234.5 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Checking in. Haven't been as consistent as I wanted to be with my MN mix in the last month. However, growth is good & steady. Will do a S&D within next 2 weeks to prevent major splits with it being so humid and hot outside. Will do a Cassia treatment & overnight DC with Kanechom within next 2 weeks as well.

If I get on it with my MN and Sulfur, I can probably make it to MBL in December 2013. I will have to take my pics and do my measurements. I am still a not at BS yet. I will definitely keep an eye on this thread though:) Good luck ladies!!!

Checking in still in my minis and loving them ive started CWing 2x a week instead of once but I may turn one of those into a dry DC session and start DCind 2x a week. Idk so far so good here no length checks for me til at least the end of august:) hhg

Did a MTx / PTx / DC Monday and yesterday. Today I M&S'd using Keracare NT LI + glycerine + AVG, sealed with castor oil + shea butter mixed. Hair feels great after using castor oil in my DC, soft and heavy but not at all oily.

I've been trimming... it's unavoidable really at this time in my HHJ. Hopefully my new M&S regi together with using Keracare NT Overnight Moisturizing Treatment will keep my ends in shape so I can cut this regular trimming down to just 1x per month.

Thats why I like wearing minis I get to also see my growth as it comes in monthly:)

lamaria211 - I'm so tempted to go back into braided extensions for that same reason, it's like a living tape measure lol... but I love being able to get at my hair whenever I feel like it much more!

Treating my ends to Keracare Overnight Moisturizing Tx tonight. Will then be doing an overnight ceramide oil pre-poo before a DC with heat in the am, then poo, then Mirpur Soy Protein Tx, then a rinse out con with castor oil and avocado oil. Hoping for a max of one more trim before 30th September, so I gotta baby my ends.

Current Length: BSB(below shoulder blade)
Current State of Hair: Natural 4A/B/C, Thick coarse
Regimen: Twists/low manipulation, cowash and moisturize in twists.
August 15, 2012 - BSL
Feb 11,2013-3 YR Nappiversary=MBL
What month in 2013 you hope to be at MBL - February
RECENT PIC- Taken JULY 3,2012
bssl.jpg

NinasLongAmbition said:
Current Length: BSB(below shoulder blade)
Current State of Hair: Natural 4A/B/C, Thick coarse
Regimen: Twists/low manipulation, cowash and moisturize in twists.
August 15, 2012 - BSL
Feb 11,2013-3 YR Nappiversary=MBL
What month in 2013 you hope to be at MBL - February
RECENT PIC- Taken JULY 3,2012

Feb 11 is my B-day!!!!! Good day for a nappiversary:)

Checking in! Hope everyone's hair journey is going well :)

I still have my fingers crossed about reaching MBL by Jan 2013, I just had an inch trimmed so hopefully I retain a lot.

Current Length: Mostly chin length, but one layer is full shoulder length
Current State of Hair Natural type 4 abz
Regimen
More protein
Light protein daily with GHE
Medium protein weekly, followed by a moisture DC
Twist all summer
Scalp massage
Frequent monthly micro trims
LOC moisturize and seal technique
Goals for each check in
March 2012
-i hoped to be full APl didn't make it :crying3:
August 2012- Still chasing APL
December 2012- BSB
April 30, 2013 - BSL
August 15, 2013 - Full MBL
December 2013- WL
What month in 2013 you hope to be at MBL August
Any links to a photo album or Youtube channel if you want to share howconnie is my youtube channel, I intend to start updating my fokti more often some day.

I skipped my usual overnight oil pre-poo last night bc my hair STILL feels so soft and moisturized from midweek.

Doing a dry DC right now with QH Cholesterol + CON AO + WGO. Wash with Hollywood Beauty AO poo, then follow up with Mirpur Soy PTx and finish with HB AO rinse out con mixed with castor oil and avocado oil.

My current leave in is 1:1:1 Keracare Natural Textures + AVG + Glycerine. I seal lightly with coconut + sunflower oil.

Loving this journey getting to know my hair!

Ok, so I trimmed today. Ne'er mind, my hair looked so thick and healthy in my braidout yesterday, it's now at SL/CBL in that style whereas last time I did a braidout it was NL!

Will be doing an overnight oil tx before a wash, protein tx, DC then oil rinse tomorrow.

Ladies, I am SOOO sorry I'm playing catchup! I thought being a mother would get easier as time went on, but it's getting more difficult! The older they get the more attention they require and the more sleep I need! :drunk: :lol: I finally realized that I wasn't asking DH for enough help. I was thinking I should do it all because I'm the mom!

Anywho, welcome to all of those that I have not yet welcomed! You're all listed below.

shortdub78
KaramelDiva1978
Cattypus1
justjai
vmerie
Course24
NinasLongAmbition

Now I'm going to make my update post and go back through and read all of your posts! Please let me know if I missed anyone on the list.

Checkin:I'm holding off on checking my length right now because it makes me antsy. I'm going to wait until the official length check.

I think I lost a lot of hair in my most recent wash and detangle because of transitioning. I got too lazy to wash my hair for two weeks and wouldn't you know it: matting at the demarcation line. Oh well. Can't dwell on the past, only look to a brighter future!

Checking in...gave my hair some TLC over the past few days. The shedding wasn't as bad as before but it just seemed way too fragile when wet. I also noticed a little breakage when dry.

So, I co-washed and bunned Wednesday and Thursday, incorporating oil rinses with both for the first time. Thursday included a 2-min aphogee protein treatment as well.

Friday I co-washed, tea rinsed, oil rinsed, co-washed and then tea rinsed with aloe vera juice again (yes I've been checking out Nix08's routine!! :) )

It felt so much stronger yet still soft while wet. I let it air dry in a wash n go style, it looked great. Then last night I gently combed out small sections and used the Split-Ender to dust, braiding up large chunks as I finished them. Today the braids are pinned up in a french roll with a flower on one side.

Things I noticed...
--1. I can take more protein than I thought. Thursdays co-wash also included giovanni smooth as silk which has animal protein i believe. Glad I figured out the protein thing before it really started breaking off. I had been using mega trek once a week but my hair doesn't seem to respond well to it....I may be using it to co-wash my dogs instead :look who knows though, it could be that the aphogee was what it was needing
- 2. Incorporating oil and tea rinsing has also strengthened my hair. There's way less shedding and more shine...why did I wait so long to start doing it consistently?
- 3. Air drying turns out much better for me when I oil rinse
- 4. You don't have to flat iron to use your Split-Ender

Took pictures but they came out terrible, so am just going to wait for the mid-August check-in to post some. I can say though I'm not expecting much length...seems like I'm going through a thickening stage. We'll see...

Happy to see that this thread is still alive!

I've been super KISS with my hair. Like, so boring.

I just detangle, wash, condition, and do braid or twist and curls. A dab of leave in or oil if I'm feelin snazzy. We'll see if it pays off... Or destroys me!!!

Checking in I tweaked my reggie a lil bit im no longer going to prepooing over night before my wash day.
Reggie now as follows:
Wash with cleansing condish then DC once per week
Cowash once per week
M&S daily
EVOCO my scalp x3 per week!

End of week 1 -first time successfully texlaxed. I can really see the texture left in my hair and I am so excited. I'm "transitioning" from bone-straight to what I'd like to call "controlled curl". Finished a 15&1/2 week stretch and trimmed about an inch to and inch and a half of highly raggedy, jacked up ends. I'm trying to go no heat except at check-in times. I just finished my after-relaxer protein treatment and am currently working on deep conditioning under a heat cap in preparation for a twist out for the week.
Good luck, all. Here we Grow!

Current Length BSL]

Current State of Hair [(Natural/Relaxed/Transitioning (length of transition)/Stretching (length of relaxer stretch)] – You can also include hair type if you like
Im 4b relaxed...im streching my relaxer every 4 months

Regimen (including what precise steps you are taking in order to get to MBL)

Henna 2x a month
wash 1x a week
DC 1x a week
M&S everyday aloe juice ,water, and castor oil
i wear PS everyday
i use direct heat and dust ends on relaxer day

Goals for each check-in date (dates are below)

Aug 15, 2012 full bsl
Dec 31, 2012 grazing MBL
Apr 30, 2013 Full MBL
Aug 15, 2013 grazing WL
Dec 31, 2013 WL

What month in 2013 you hope to be at MBL?
Apr 30, 2013

picture.php

My 2 week check-in. I'm currently doing a dry DC that was supposed to be for 1/2 day while I did my household chores, however it's been over 24 hrs. I will wash out today, do my S&D, and apply MN mix 2x this week. I will do my last major protein the following week, then low manipulation after that because my 12-13 week relaxer stretch will end 2nd week of Aug.

Back