MBL 2013 Challenge!

Can I join??

• Current Length: I believe I am BSL in the back and at least a good 2 inches from BSL in the front
  • Current State of Hair: Relaxed
  • Regimen: HEAVY Protective Styling, Alot of Wet Buns and Cowashing every 1/2/3 Days. ITS kinda cold so I will likely do every 2-3 days. Massage Scalp with Castor Oil and Sulfur Mix once a week. Massage with every co-wash. Deep Condition once a Week
  • What month in 2013 you hope to be at MBL: June-August
  • Any links to a photo album or Youtube channel if you want to share: I Have a fotki, but I haven't used it in a long time!! lol. Will update once I excess it!

2mo128l.jpg

11j1wue.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks to the nice ladies on LHCF helped me out, Just found out I was kinda grazing MBL! So I'm guessing my due date should be shorter then 2013 summer, maybe spring 2013 then!! Woot-hoot Happy hair growing everyone!

.... I'm in need of a Good Deep Condition.. Probably do one one tomorrow with some natural homemade hair recipe I can get from the grocery store( organic health nut here!). Will post what I concocted and the results tomorrow! :)

Hello my name is Rachel. I am a natural and have been since 2006. In 2010 is when I discovered natural hair care through YouTube and blogs,etc. My hair care regimen is pretty simple. I wash my hair once a month. In that month I shampoo and condition my hair. I use Shea moisture African soap deepcleansing shampoo on my scalp and Shea moisture raw Shea butter moisture retention shampoo on the length of my hair. I do this while hair is in sections in braids or twists. Then I follow up with tresemme naturals brand conditioner. Let it sit for a few minutes then rinse out. Then proceed to deep condition using Shea moisture deep treatment masque. In between this process I do a black tea rinse. I also do protein treatments once every other month. I try to keep my hair stretched to reduce knots by doing braids or twists or this new technique I learned recently called African hair threading . I fingerdetangle only. I do protective styles/low manipulation styles 99.9999 percent of the time buns, twists, jumbo braids making sure my ends are tucked in and hair is moisturized and sealed with water leave in and oil. I leave that 1 percent for special occasion to have my hair down in curls or something. I dust or trim my hair only when needed no particular set time. My goal is to preserve as much hair as possible through healthy haircare practices and very low manipulation.
Current length full Bsb
Dec 31, 2012- full brastrap length
April 30,2013- grazing or at mbl
August 15,2013-full mbl/wl
Dec 31,2013-wl/ or grazing hl
I know I set some high expectations but I believe it's possible. Here is a pic of where I am now

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20121118_182948.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121118_182948.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 73
I'm projecting March to be the month i make WL. My bonnets have become obsolete!! Thats when you KNOW your hair is getting long! I HAVE to sleep on my silk pillow cases!

Can I join??

• Current Length: I believe I am BSL in the back and at least a good 2 inches from BSL in the front
  • Current State of Hair: Relaxed
  • Regimen: HEAVY Protective Styling, Alot of Wet Buns and Cowashing every 1/2/3 Days. ITS kinda cold so I will likely do every 2-3 days. Massage Scalp with Castor Oil and Sulfur Mix once a week. Massage with every co-wash. Deep Condition once a Week
  • What month in 2013 you hope to be at MBL: June-August
  • Any links to a photo album or Youtube channel if you want to share: I Have a fotki, but I haven't used it in a long time!! lol. Will update once I excess it!

2mo128l.jpg

11j1wue.jpg

Cherry89 I think you are close if not there already!

Add Me!
I want to reach MBL by December 2013, it might be a stretch!!

• Current Length: APL
  • Current State of Hair [(Natural/Relaxed/Transitioning (length of transition)/Stretching (length of relaxer stretch)] – You can also include hair type if you like: Natural
  • Regimen (including what precise steps you are taking in order to get to MBL): Wash 1x a week and DC. PS (flat twists) underneath a wig.
  • Goals for each check-in date
    • [FONT=&quot]December 31, 2012 - Still APL
      [/FONT]
    • [FONT=&quot]April 30, 2013 - 1-2 inches away from BSB/BSL[/FONT]
    • [FONT=&quot]August 15, 2013 - 1 inch past BSB/BSL[/FONT]
    • [FONT=&quot]December 31, 2013 - MBL
      [/FONT]
  • What month in 2013 you hope to be at MBL: December 2013

I haven't posted in this thread in a while. As I stated last night in another thread:

Between all of this new growth and texlaxed hair, I have a lot of shrinkage. I haven't flat ironed in over a year so if it's worn out it's curly (braid outs). The henna really weighed my hair down tonight so I could see my length after so long. Some of my stands are very close to MBL and my goal for the year was full BSL. If only I didn't endure so much breakage and have to trim I'd be full BSL (my goal for the year) and headed for MBL (overall goal) now. Oh well, there's next year.

I think I can make MBL next year if I don't neglect my hair. :yep: I'm about to apply my indigo now.

This is where I am at as of 5 minutes ago. I think I'm BSL, but I'm not flat ironing or claiming anything until December 31st.

Attachments

• IMG599 (1).jpg
    IMG599 (1).jpg
    280.6 KB · Views: 73
I'm in

Current Length 2 inches past APL

Current State of Hair [(Natural/Relaxed/Transitioning (length of transition)/Stretching (length of relaxer stretch)] – You can also include hair type if you like Relaxed, stretch relaxers 20,14 and 17 weeks

Regimen (including what precise steps you are taking in order to get to MBL) Pre-poo weekly, co-wash bi-weekly, shampoo twice a month (one of these is a clarifying poo), DC weekly alternating with moisture and protein DC's sometimes both, Hard protein week before and week after relaxer, trim when I get relaxed.

I will be wearing more PS, M & S every other day, baggying and babying my ends

Goals for each check-in date (dates are below)
April 30:approaching BSL
August 15: Full BSL
December 30: MBL

What month in 2013 you hope to be at MBL December

Attachments

• 2013 start pic.jpg
    2013 start pic.jpg
    456.9 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Current Length between APL and BSL
Current State of Hair Natural
Regimen (including what precise steps you are taking in order to get to MBL)
Goals for each check-in date (dates are below)
What month in 2013 you hope to be at MBL August 2013

My weave is itching so bad, I will call and set up an appt to get my real hair done for Christmas today can't wait to see when my hair is at right now.

ms.tatiana said:
My weave is itching so bad, I will call and set up an appt to get my real hair done for Christmas today can't wait to see when my hair is at right now.

Girl me too!!!! Self installed about 2 weeks ago. I just made my appt a few minutes ago for the 19th. Hope I can make it!

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

I got my touch up done on Saturday after a 14 and a half week stretch, I had about 1.5" cut off and as you can see my ends still look thin :nono: :sad:

I'm gonna do a 20 week stretch this time, I still have at the very least another 2 inches to take off to get back to thicker ends, but at least there are no splits. I have been taking off 1-2" every time I get a TU. I will be paying close attention to my ends, moisturising and sealing regularly and baggying a couple of times a week.

I've ordered Priteva which I hope will help and I may also start taking some fish oils and evening primrose oil too. I'm hoping the healthy ends and up your water intake challenges will be back for 2013 as I need all the help I can get to make my goals

I'm only gonna blow dry for the first 6 weeks post while my hair is still the same texture, I will be doing a lot more protective styles for 2013 although admittedly a ponytail is as protective as I'm getting for this week (a little treat after my stretch and I'm not using heat) I've bought a few styling accessories to help me with that, the PS pics thread have been very inspiring, when I get started I will post some pics

just finished with a protein treatment. i used ORS Mayo. i love the way my hair feels when i rinse it out. i am now sitting here, dc'ing with Mizani and some Suave Mixed. (i'm starting to run low on Mizani) i am really working on stopping breakage. after i washed my hair and started to apply the ORS, i had two broken hairs. which is really good for me. i will see how things go once i finger detangle and air dry.

i plan on bunning my hair.

i want to up my water intake. i usually drink plenty of water, but i need to buy some more. bottled water is helping me to drink more.

also, i think i will do a protein treatment once a week. i stated before i was going to do it once a month, then i changed it to every other week, but i think my hair is benefiting from it right now.

plus i have some good products that are keeping my hair moisturized and sealed throughout the wash week.

i am 3 weeks post now. i plan on relaxing again some time in Jan. this pregnancy is not giving me all of this growth and thickness other folks get. my hair is still acting and responding the same way.

I'm still in mini braids. Just washed and DC'd last night. When I take these down at the end of December, I'm going to flat iron my hair to get a good starting pic for this challenge (I may end up blowing it out and just saying forget it LOL).

I'm still consistent with my vitamin regimen. I think it is definitely helping me boost my growth rate to its max potential because I was seeing new growth in my braids before I even reached the 2 week mark. That's something that never happens for me.

Congrats vmerie! You only look a couple inches from WL!

I really suck at update these challenges but here's my update and plan for the rest of the year. I made BSB at my last touch-up but have about 1 1/2" to BSL. I'm also turning 30 in March and freaking out about it so..... I'm hiding my har until my birthday. No touch-ups, no length checks, just braids and sew-ins until about a week before my birthday. Then I think I'll post a thread with the glorious reveal . I take down my current sew-in Thursday night so I will try to post a pull test for an update (if I remember) but that will be the last length check of the year before I go get tree braids on Friday.

i am 3 weeks post now. i plan on relaxing again some time in Jan. this pregnancy is not giving me all of this growth and thickness other folks get. my hair is still acting and responding the same way.

I forgot that I read in a different thread that you were pregnant ... congratulations!!!!!!! I am sure your hair will thicken up and you will get a growth spurt soon. Are you having a boy or girl? Please blow some baby dust my way ... HHG!!

shortdub78 Congratulations :) Although you're not getting the growth you would have liked, you can look at it another way, I know many women who lost a lot of their hair during their pregnancies.

I forgot that I read in a different thread that you were pregnant ... congratulations!!!!!!! I am sure your hair will thicken up and you will get a growth spurt soon. Are you having a boy or girl? Please blow some baby dust my way ... HHG!!

i'm having a boy! and here is plenty of baby dust!

Checking In:

I went back and read my initial post to see if there was anything that I needed to update as we go in to 2013. Well, I definitely am NOT APL in the front as I hoped I would be. I am about an inch and a half away from that destination. What I can say is that I have retained about four or five inches in the front based upon my January pictures and that is nothing to shake a stick at ...

BSB in the back ... nah, not really. I am an inch past APL ... I think my upper back is hella long or something. I've realized that it will take a while for my hair to descend down my long, upper back ... lol! Patience is a virtue.

I have been PSing consistently. I have ditched extensions entirely and mini braid my hair only. If I wear a wig, it is because I am going out and want to change up my style, but I don't wear them beyond the evening. Since I do not do wigs or braids with extensions, I no longer do the deep moisture method either.

I chose not to do a hard protein treatment monthly ... a while back, I went ham with the Aphogee and SAA and experienced dry/brittle hair for a little bit. Instead, I decided to give the Cantu Shea Butter another whirl and I have had good results. I don't know when I will use Aphogee again but I know that I will one day- SAA is still my boo, I just forget to use it.

I have been consistent with co-washing, actually doing it about three to five times a week. I really love cowashing-seriously! I only use distilled water on my hair and have been for two or three months. Great results switching from Vegas water to distilled water ... from the feel of my scalp to the appearance of my hair. After cowashing, I either seal my ends with vaseline, Cantu Shea all over, or nothing at all.

I shampoo my hair when I take my mini braids out, which is every four to six weeks. I use a chelating shampoo when I do the wash. I liked watching all of the grime wash off my hair the last time I used the shampoo ... it's dope. I have recently incorporated Neem and Bhringaj powders to my regimen (love 'em); I use Bhringaj powder with Everyday Shea conditioner for cowashing and I use Neem when I want to cleanse my scalp/hair. I also use MN about three or four days out of the week (love that! I add Neem powder to that mix as of late, too.)

I d/c with moisture like every two or three weeks ... I forget about doing it and my hair feels moisturized so I don't know if I need to d/c more than that. My hair loves protein more than moisture so I am still alright ...

I hope you all are doing well ...

Back