MBL 2013 Challenge!

I'm doing my overnight DC on dry hair now with my new lover Kera Minerals DC ill rinse in the am and do my leave in thing:)

Current Length My current length is a little past SL

Current State of Hair [(Natural/Relaxed/Transitioning (length of transition)/Stretching (length of relaxer stretch)] – You can also include hair type if you like My hair is relaxed 4A/B.

Regimen (including what precise steps you are taking in order to get to MBL)

Not protective styling. I want to try to get there by rollersetting and stretching relaxers.

I plan to wash every 7 days and retouch every 12 weeks.

First, I will sit with John Frieda Clear Glaze on my hair for 20 min.

Then I will shampoo with 1 tsp of Loreal EverSleek Sulfate free shampoo, then cowash with As I Am Coconut Cleansing Conditioner Wash. Then oil rinse with EVOO. Deep condition with Wen 613 with heat for 20 minutes.

Rinse. Apply French Perm Stabilizer. Rinse.

Spray in Mane n Tail Detangler, Elasta QP Silk Thermal Designing Liquid, and Dryfast Straightening Spray.

Rollerset on large rollers. Sit under the dryer. Take out rollers & blow out the roots. Rewrap and sit under dryer for 15 min.

Roll hair with Wrap and Go Soft Rollers. Go to sleep....:yep:

Goals for each check-in date (dates are below)

March 31, 2012 ---
August 15, 2012 --- Little below SL
December 31, 2012 --- Halfway to APL
April 30, 2013 --- About 2 inches past APL
August 15, 2013 --- MBL
December 31, 2013 --- Full MBL and loving it!

What month in 2013 you hope to be at MBL August 8, 2013

Last edited:
Checking In:

I took down my twist extensions and I am so happy I did- it was long overdue. What I have found was that kanekalon hair, even when treated with ACV, causes mad tangles in my hair and makes it super dry. :nono: I detangled very carefully to make sure that I didn't tear my hair out. What's so cold is that I moisturized and conditioned my hair often while in that style ... for it to be that dry tripped me out. So the next time I do extensions, I will use yarn like I used to. :yep:

Anyway, I d/c with CON conditioner for dehydrated hair- used my plastic cap and metallic conditioning cap for a couple hours to get a descent conditioning session. I rinsed the conditioner out, washed with diluted Roux shampoo (233), and applied the Roux conditioner (233), leaving that on for ten/fifteen minutes. <-That length of time was for no particular reason, I just needed a break. After I rinsed that out, I did my Aphogee two-step (I really like this product for my hair, yall) and added a little SAA to the balancing moisturizer.

For the first time, I used Roux Fermodyl Moisture System Leave-In (619) and I liked that too. What I noticed after using this was that the ends of my hair were uniform and beginning to form a little curl pattern. Another thing that I noticed was that my hair got slightly tangled on itself but that could have been due to my missing a couple of areas during my detangling session. I sectioned off my hair in five sections and let it air dry for twenty/thirty minutes before manipulating it. After that, twisted it up and I plan on pinning it up for a week or so before installing mini braids. I think I can thug out the install/take down process ... :look:

I have attached a recent length pic from 07/31 ... I am going to leave my hubby alone for a little bit because he goes into crisis whenever I ask him to take a length check picture for me. :rolleyes: I notice that my hair is fuller and thicker ... I attribute that to the MN mix that I was using at the time, co-washing regularly, and SAA. Hopefully I get to my goal by next length check. IMG_20120801_142510.jpg

I hope you all are doing well!!!

Thank you! Current lenght-between Apl and Bsl current state of hair - natural 4a/b.:grin: Some 3c hairs fine strands mixed in with some coarser strands thick density. REGIMEN - wash my hair once a month usin g shea moisture Af rican black soap shampoo and moisture retention shampoo tresemme naturals conditioner. Deep condition using Shea moisture deep treatment masque. Also protein treatments every other month using Vitale oliveoil hair mayonnaise. Moisturize and seal- as needed Giovanni direct leave in, water(first) oil-castor oil or aloevera oil ior olive oil any type of oil I choose to use at that particular time after I wash or when I am generally m/s my hair. Styling to help retain length- two strand twists (leave them in for a month) when the month is over and I am ready I will take down the twists and do another protective style as I am getting ready to transition into my wash day. I prefer to have my hair stretched using heatless methods such as braids, twists,or banding. I detangle my hair with my fingrs very gently. I don't really use a comb unless its for an emergency situation where my hair is badly matted. That hasn't happen in a long time because I have been keeping my.hair stretched and asdetangled
as possible using my fingers being consistent. MARCH 31,2012-? AUGUST15,2012-between apl and Bsl. December 31,2012- I hope to be grazing Bsl.April.
30,2013 I hope to be full Bsl August 15,2013 I hope to be full mbl heading to wl.
December 31,2013-I hope to be wl or grazing

30,2013- I hope to be full Bsl on my to mbl

So I dunno if I posted this already but this is my update. Right now my hair is out til I can dye this weave the correct color than its back up it goes for another month or so.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Attachments

• image-1682821658.jpg
    image-1682821658.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 43
  • image-3893879000.jpg
    image-3893879000.jpg
    392.2 KB · Views: 27
  • image-3107275515.jpg
    image-3107275515.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 31
lexxi said:
So I dunno if I posted this already but this is my update. Right now my hair is out til I can dye this weave the correct color than its back up it goes for another month or so.

I luvvvv ur hair color. Thats exactly the color that I want

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch Q using LHCF

Thanks I love this color I've had it on and off since 2008 but the up keep was so hard but I finally have it under control now. I dye it once every six months if that for the most part I've been touching up roots every six since I weave it up 90% of the time you never get to see my roots.

I'm gonna wait to post my length check til September because I have another challenge to check in at that time and I wanna do both check ins at the same time.

I'm still in this challenge. Haven't posted much because I'm still focusing on BSL. But I'm sure that I will be able to make MBL some time within 2013. I'm Bunning until the end of the year so lets hope I retain all of my length.

Alright,

I think I might have gone a little hard in the paint with this protein business. {{Sigh}} My hair has been out since the weekend. I have been doing the bun thing/pinning my hair up to protect the ends of my hair. What I have noticed though is that my ends are HELLA tangling on themselves. I am finding knots and such when I take the bobby pins out of my hair- I am not feeling this at all.

I grabbed some plain yogurt from the store but after I bought it, I realized that it is suggested that the product is used for protein purposes. Instead, I d/c on dry hair with a plastic cap and my conditioning cap for a couple hours to remedy the issue. I cowashed with my cheap conditioner, did a cool rinse, and banded my hair for stretching. This morning, I found some tangles, SSKs, and some of my ends (very small amount) breaking off. :nono:

I don't know if all of this tangling is because:

1- My hair is longer, 2- My hair did not want the hard protein treatment and SAA this rip, or 3- The Roux 619 leave-in pissed my hair off.

I am going to do a search for protein overload and see what I can find. To be honest, I don't know if the tangling is just a part of the game since my hair is this length (APL back/SL front) and I am not used to having it out or if it is because of what I mentioned above. I will keep you all posted on my findings- wish me luck. :yep:

Flat ironed today for the first time since early June and then dusted with the SplitEnder. I'm loving the thickness of being 10 weeks post. Won't dust again until my TU in October and am going to try to hold out until November to flat iron. My ends look so much better now that I'm using heat sparingly and dusting regularly.

jprayze said:
Oops I didn't know it was check-in day!!! I won't be able to check in today because I'm currently wearing mini braids. I anticipated being APL by 8/15 and it seems like my braids are almost there. I have to wait until I straighten to know for sure. I don't plan to straighten until sometime in September. Before then, I will update with a pull test. I'm still trying for BSL by December 31st even though I doubt that will happen.

Going to wait until next week to straighten and check into all my challenges :-)

Looking after my ends, they're not needing to be trimmed so often now that the old damage has nearly grown out, yay! Keeping up with my vits, water and diet but have slacked off exercise in the last 2 months, it's too hot even to sleep here during summer.

Holding off doing a length check till 30th September, will post pics and updated goals then.

Bring on MBL 2013 :grin:

So i gave in and flat ironed my hair yesterday. :) it would be nice to make MBL by the end of the year!

It took me literally the whole day to do it!:ohwell:

ForumRunner_20120827_100205.jpg

IMG_20120826_192551-1.jpg

Sent from my N860 using LHCF

Checking in...I don't think that I will be able to do a length check this time around because it is still a little too hot for me to press my hair out. So, I will either have to do a pull test like others or wait until the next length check to see my progress. I have been leaving my hair alone and just keeping it moisturized and protected.

Posted in BSL 2012:

I am redoing the perimeter of my individual braids, so I decided to do a pull test. The first picture is 8/23 and the second is 2/19. I pointed to a spot on my back that I used as reference for how much I retained. I am seeing progress! I'm not sure if I will make BSL this year though But I will try my best.

(Excuse the rolls. I just had a baby, and I'm working on it.)

Attachments

• 2012-08-26 14.23.42.jpg
    2012-08-26 14.23.42.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG187.jpg
    IMG187.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 63
Have a new protective regimen of "wigging it". Going in beast mode to be sure I make MBL 2013. I can't wait! I too will likely be posting a pull strand test pic soon too. In a rollerset under the dryer right now.

Checking in. I'm going to get my hair straightened and trimmed next weekend so I can do my official length check. I'm really afraid since my hair has been coming out in droves for the last three washes. I think I'm going to go back to my cone conditioner to see if it helps with my massive tangles.

Just want to vent really quick....

I've cut most of my progress off this year yes I've gained a few inches but I totally ruined my hair pre hhj. My ends were so thin and breaking I've really had no choice but to cut way hack on heat and bun all the time if I wanted any kind of hair on my head. With that said I'm tired of cutting!!! So next time I cut I'm cutting alot. All of my bad ends and some of my good ones. What's the point in all of this ps if I'm just going to cut the ends in trying so hard to protect!!! I'm just ve frustrated now and ready to really start retaining my length. Whoooo I feel better I knew tall would urstand. I'll post pics when I'm done. I'm also gonna have someone here with me while I do it so I'm not back a SL cause that's how I feel right now lol

freckledface said:

I've cut most of my progress off this year yes I've gained a few inches but I totally ruined my hair pre hhj. My ends were so thin and breaking I've really had no choice but to cut way hack on heat and bun all the time if I wanted any kind of hair on my head. With that said I'm tired of cutting!!! So next time I cut I'm cutting alot. All of my bad ends and some of my good ones. What's the point in all of this ps if I'm just going to cut the ends in trying so hard to protect!!! I'm just ve frustrated now and ready to really start retaining my length. Whoooo I feel better I knew tall would urstand. I'll post pics when I'm done. I'm also gonna have someone here with me while I do it so I'm not back a SL cause that's how I feel right now lol

I've been sitting here today contemplating a trip to MC to get rid of these stupid raggedy-a$$ed ends. I'm trying to grow out these crazy layers and the trim I got in July seems to have made the difference between them much worse. I would have a mullet if my top layers were a little shorter. I think I'm ready to clean this mess up and try to look like I care how I look. Anyway, I just wanted to join the vent and add my two cents. Keep the faith...we'll get there.

I'm gonna wait to post my length check til September because I have another challenge to check in at that time and I wanna do both check ins at the same time.

I've been sitting here today contemplating a trip to MC to get rid of these stupid raggedy-a$$ed ends. I'm trying to grow out these crazy layers and the trim I got in July seems to have made the difference between them much worse. I would have a mullet if my top layers were a little shorter. I think I'm ready to clean this mess up and try to look like I care how I look. Anyway, I just wanted to join the vent and add my two cents. Keep the faith...we'll get there.

Timely posts - I just this second sat down from a trimming session that is now into it's second day! I only stopped bc I can't find my scissors. Can't wait to get rid of all the dead wood at the ends and put all this **** behind me. Refuse to sacrifice otherwise healthy hair to stop my ugly perma-mullet... ugly mullet it is :sad:

Cattypus1 and claud-UK thanks for understanding! And yea I won't look like this as a set back or anything just finally got to the point where I truly believe health over length. I had to do this eventually. And hall are crazy talking about mullets lmao. I got one on one side myself yup I cut it and no I don't care lol. Don't like it don't look that's what I tell em but I feel your frustration and as soon as I cut it off it'll be over and I'm sure my hair will thank me!

Crazy and super frustrationg thing is I can see the difference in my hair closer to the root. It's smoother softer and all around prettier than the rest or at least I know even though I have to keep chopping everything I'm doing is making a difference

I took my siggy pic last week. I'll post another pic in December. Seems like its going to take me FOREVER to get to MBL…

Hopefully I can join you ladies during the summer next year. MBL by the end of next year is my goal. I know it's a big stretch, but I gotta dream big lol

Back