Managing Your Hair During Warmer Months....

vikkisecret

Nubian Girl
My hair has become noticeably drier since April. I haven't been sticking to regime which couldn't be helping either. My products don't seem to be working like they use too and to top it off....the back of my head has some breakage ( What a setback!!!) My NG is growing faster than usual which is making it harder for me to manage on an everyday basis. So here's some questions I would some answers to since it will be getting hotter soon....

What styles are you currently using on your hair?

What products are you using as staples for warmer months?

What is your washing regimne?

How are you managing hair growth/strength/MOISTURE?

Blowouts and curly rollersets, but i'll be switching to more braidouts and wet buns.

Salerm 21, Elasta QP Moisturizer, Scurl and Castor Oil

Twice a week, deep condition with Joico Moisture Recovery Complex

So far Joico Moisture Recovery Complex is good for strength and moisture. I use serums for straight styles and the Elasta QP or Scurl for additional moisture with braidouts and air dryed buns. For growth I rely on vitamins and MTG occassionally.

It's not unusual for your hair to become drier during the summer months, I adjust my regime according to seasonal changes.

Bunning during the day, baggy method at night w/ my special mix of products.

Elasta Qp's Mango Butter, Elasta's Recovery, S-Curl, Castor/olive/grapeseed oils for ends

Co-wash 2-3 times a week, wash w/shampoo once a week and deep condition.

I manage moisture with baggy method paying special attention to my ends. I get strength by doing deep treatments and using strengtheners like Aphogee's Green Tea Reconstructor.

vikkisecret said:
Braids, wash and gos, puffs, anythign thats is little manipulation until I get my braids again ina few weeks.
Ummm the same stuff. Shampoo, conditioner, moisturizer, the usuals, nothing new.
Whenever I feel liek it or when it needs to be combed. And no I dont comb my hair daily. If you had my hair you wouldnt either.
How are you managing hair growth/strength/MOISTURE?Im a year into transitioning so new growth doesnt bother me, its still strong and it hasnt dried out so I guess im good to go. If it does need moisture Ill deep condition. That always does the trick for me.
I hope that helps...

What styles are you currently using on your hair? Pretty much wash and go

No-Protein (this drys my hair out in the Summer)
Heavy Moisturizing by deep conditioning every two or three days with heavy conditioner such as, V05 Strawberries and Cream, V05 Creamy Citrus Conditioner, White Rain Tropical Conditioner, etc. followed by a heavy leave-in such as Liv or KeraCare (the one with Jojoba in it)

I conditioner wash daily but only with conditioner and never shampoo.

How are you managing hair growth/strength/MOISTURE?[/QUOTE]
I guess I measure that on how it feels. If it feels too gritty then tha means that I have used to much protein and therefore step down from that. I use no heat EVER and comb only once per week and don't brush.

What styles are you currently using on your hair? Right now my hair is flat ironed but i rarely wear it that way. As soon as I get my relaxer, I begin co-washing daily. I believe that it's better do do your daily co-washing up to 7 weeks post-relaxer because that's the time you can comb through your hair the easiest. I wear buns, ponytails (with the ends tucked under) and twistouts.

What products are you using as staples for warmer months? I co-wash daily with suave or V05 (or whatever conditioner is laying around). I prefer Elasta QP neutralizing shampoo and MNT Shampoos. I love MNT Orignal conditioner and all my dominican stuff.

What is your washing regimen? I only use shampoo when I want straight hair. That is about 1x a month or 1x every two months.

How are you managing hair growth/strength/MOISTURE? I am constantly massaging my hair by washing it daily. I love drenching my ponytail with conditioner and then securing it. I recently bought a shower filter and my hair has never felt better! WOW! I use mayonnaise mixed with other food items for strength (protein). I only relax every 4-6 months (my hair never relaxes anyway).

Great responses ladies! All of your info really helps. I'm guessing...the less manipulationt he better..and braidouts are a good choice also...i forgot about those and bantu knots. LoL Anky I have been wanting to but a shower filter too. I think the water could be stressing my hair too...needs to be purified!

Wash N' Go's, braid outs

S-Curl, Elucence MB, Qhemet heavy cream, WGO, castor oil, honey (for a humectant)

Weekly if I'm wearing wash n go's

Low manipulation, protein and deep conditioning regularly, moisturizing and sealing w/ an oil.

If you are having problems w/ your hair being dry in the warmer months I would suggest using something w/ a humectant such as honey, castor oil or glycerin. You could add those to your products or buy products w/ humectants in them. I find s-curl or carefree curl to be good for this. I also add honey to my conditioners and do honey rinses.

HKW53 said:
Buttafly, what kind of vitamins do you take? Your hair looks great.

Thank you! I take 2 5,000 mcg capsules of Puritan Pride Biotin.
2,500 mg of MSM capsules or one teaspoon of Puritan Pride powdered MSM
and a multivitamin. If I use the powdered MSM I mix it with Emergen-C a powdered vitamin drink.

The vitamins really help; I noticed a big difference in my hair once I started taking them.

Back