Major Hair Setback (Pics Inside)

Oh my....:nono:

I can't believe you lost that much hair! I've used ION (moisturizing treatment) and I'd assumed it was a pretty good product.
Well...your hair will grow back in time.

I'm sorry this happened to you. I too have experienced a lot of breakage in the past from braids. It will grow back so that worry yourself too much. Good luck.

WOW!!! I am SO sorry this happened to you.....((((HUGS)))). I have problems with tangling and matting too and you are getting some good advice from the ladies here. I don't have anything to add that hasn't already been said. Good luck!!

It bites when I read about situations as these. No one wants to loose any progress to knots and dreadded hair. I am so sorry this happened to you. Your hair will grow back and you will look back on this one day and be happy that your hair did in fact grow back:needhug:

OMG, I'm so sorry that this happened to you.

This needs to be a sticky somewhere: ANYTIME YOU COME OUT OF BRAIDS OR A SEW-IN, YOU NEED TO DETANGLE THOROUGHLY BEFORE SHAMPOOING OR ELSE YOU WILL MATT UP!

I'm so sorry about your setback. It wasn't the shampoo that caused the matting but rather the fact that you didn't remove all the shed hair before shampooing. Having said that, it's too late to go back and prevent your breakage, but maybe someone else will be helped by this. :yep:

I had no idea, so thanks! I will be getting braids for the first time next month and I'm 26 :look:

I almost cried looking at those pics. I am just so sorry this happened to you. I pray you and your hair will recover quickly.

This needs to be a sticky somewhere: ANYTIME YOU COME OUT OF BRAIDS OR A SEW-IN, YOU NEED TO DETANGLE THOROUGHLY BEFORE SHAMPOOING OR ELSE YOU WILL MATT UP!
:yep:

Yes!!!!!!!
You must get rid of those shedded hair or you are asking for some serious matting and tangling. I found out the hard way after not combing/washing for 2 weeks then putting a relaxer. I took my time and got rid of the tangles but it was a huge mess:wallbash:

:nono:I'm sorry this happened to you. This kinda happened to me once and I lost 2 inches of growth.:cry3: Did you try to put in a conditiner before detangling? I find that it's easier to wash deep conditionen for 45 mins 2 an hour wash out the con and spray in a leave-in con and wait 10 mins and then detangel my hair. I never detangle with my hair soaking wet.:naughty: HTH and agian i'm so sorry this happend to you. But dont give up. We all have set backs:yep:

I'm really sorry about your breakage! :sad:

On the plus side, you have a lot of new growth so what ever you were doing to make it grow is working! Just keep up the care and in no time your hair will fill in. :sunshine:

I'm sorry this happened to you - big hugs. I've been in the same boat, baby your hair and it will grow back beautifully.

I'm so sorry that this happened to you. You have to detangle the hair really well after you remove a sew-in and/or braids. What's really good to use is a un-braid spray that is specifically used for removing tangles, a wide tooth comb (Jilbere), and a denman brush.
A clarifying shampoo should be routinely used when you have a sew-in - I can't stress that enough, because residue actually contributes to the amount of tangles you'll have when the sew-in is removed.

I'm sorry this has happened :blush:

Yur hair will recover. Just take EXTRA care of it now...bun it, braid it, please just baby it as much as you can. ((Hugs))
It will grow long and strong again...that's what hair does....

Thanks so much ladies for all the encouragement! I seriously don't know what I would do without LHCF.

Someone asked me did I immediately wash my hair. I pre-pooed with silk elements deep conditioner for about 20 minutes before washing it with the ION straightening shampoo. I just never imagined this could happen. I'm doing better now. I just got back from the hairdresser. We put another sew-in in. We figured that the damage wasn't from the sew-in but, from me not combing through my hair before washing it. I will post pics later of what she did. Headed to work....

Hey, just wanted to say so sorry to hear what happened to you. I'm sure this post will help many. Setbacks stink!!! Keep ya head up sweetie.

I'm sorry...this has happened to me last year so I can sympathize. I thought it was the shampoo that I used too :yep: I used it before so I know it wasn't that. Of course I learned AFTERWARDS what not to do post sew in :ohwell:

Oh, Honey....I'm so sorry this happened. Time will heal it and you know what to do to get it back on track. The ladies gave you great advice.

:giveheart: Sooo sorry this happened to you.

The same thing happened to a friend of mine 2 weeks ago but she didn't come out of a sew in. She is texlaxed and wasn't removing the shed hair as often and waited about 2 weeks to wash her hair and to top it off was 6 months post. She told me used CON shampoo and ended up with a matted balled up knot the size of a hockey puck! :shocked:

She called me in a panic and told me she used Silicon Mix and a whole bunch of other conditioners with no luck. She finally came to my house and when I saw it I got really nervous. It was the size of a hockey puck, flat, HARD and DRY (rest of hair unaffected). It looked like a braided rug and the texture was like velcro. It was just in one section of her head and had matted up in the middle of her length. Her waist length ends were all up in that mess too.

I had her soak the hockey puck in olive oil (lots of it) and sit under the dryer, rinse for a long time with very warm water and pour an acv rinse over it. After it dried, the hockey puck was alot softer and I was able to pick around the edge of it with a rat tail comb working my way up to the middle (note - a dry mat is easier to pick thru than a wet one). It took me 2 four hour days to pick it apart.

Your hair will recover. You have some excellent advice on what to do.

:cry: :cry: I'm so sorry about this mama! I hope things get better for you. I have no additional advice, but the ladies already gave you some excellent pointers! :yep:

:rolleyes: This same thing happened to me. I wish you would have got on here before you ripped your hair out so I could have guided you on what to do.

1. I soaked my hair in conditioner overnight. If you have somewhere to go in the morning, find a cute wrap and keep it moving.
  2. When you're finished soaking, sit down cause you're going to be here for a while.
  3. Try to section hair as best you can. It's dreaded and knotted so I know that difficult but even the smallest sections matter.
  4. Use a fine tooth comb (tail and teeth) to slowly get into the knots and dreads. It will take time but you'll do less damage.
  5. There is the possibility it will re-tangle. Do worry its wont be as bad to separate this time.
  6. A most important NO SHAMPOO for a long time before and after.

:yep:I thought I lost alot of hair in breakage. It was mostly shedded hair with some breakage. Think about it? If you have a weave in for 3-4 weeks and you shed apx. 100 hairs a day that isnt going anywhere, you are going to have a problem on your hands. :nono:This mostly happened with you are several months postrelaxer or texlax or texturize. I probably did but you dont notice. My website has my hair after I permed it. I was trying to do a 6-month stretch but my hair doesnt like that so my max is 3 months.

I'm on OCT now and my hair is doing fine so dont worry. It will been fine. :yep:

((Sending you a big hug)) I'm sorry to hear about this. You are not alone in this situation. I went through the same thing a few months ago when I removed a sew-in. I noticed my bald spots and damaged hair while removing it and I was devastated. The other ladies have given great advice. Keep your head up! Remember, you have access to a wealth of information here. Your hair will be back on track before you know it.:yep:

I am really sorry about this. I have used ION in the past and it is horrible. I have never used the shampoo but the serum. I think the combonation of the sew-in and the product is what didi it. ION is not made for dry hair types. Also extensions can cause major stress and damage. I know because six months ago I decided no more extensions or weaves becasue they were suffocating my natural hair. You have to remember even though the hair is " human" it is processed with drying chemincals and dyes that can transfer to your own hair.

Back