Luscious Healthy Ends Challenge 2022

I'm in too! I need to take care of my ends. Thank you for continuing the challenge. :)
I'm glad you showed yourself. I had my good eye, squinting, looking at you, ready to call you out and into this thread! Get your hair 'feets' lined up and ready to go. They need to hit the ground running as soon as that clock chimes 12: 00 am, January 1st, 2022!

@Lylddlebit ahm…what you doing? You trying to sneak through this thread, too? Nope, sorry. We got you. Give up and join us. You cannot escape. If Hotel California is too highbrow for some folks, let me bring it on down about 50 notches… Ahem, clears throat and steps on soapbox to make public announcement:

You can check in, but you can’t check out!

I got about 26 inches of hair in different areas of my head. I’m determined to clear 30 inches of hair in 2022. The key is maintaining healthy, fortified ends. I need to grow and retain 4 inches in 2022.

I’m chomping at the bit and raring to go! My lil’ hair feets are fidgeting in place.

Let’s GROW!!!

I promised a photo of my ends so here they are! They’re not bad but not great either. Thankfully they’re full and even, but I’ve got a lof puffiness and frizz going on so I know that’s a sign that my ends could be healthier. Hopefully Olaplex and a dedicated routine for my ends will address that. I’m hoping for 5 inches of retention this year :prettyplease::pray:

Attachments

• 7F275A46-E9ED-4D15-85AF-2E065851082E.jpeg
    7F275A46-E9ED-4D15-85AF-2E065851082E.jpeg
    79 KB · Views: 59
  • 4B314B31-E38A-412B-B24D-88253ED22FB0.jpeg
    4B314B31-E38A-412B-B24D-88253ED22FB0.jpeg
    60.4 KB · Views: 59
Two things happened this week…
1) I used the blower dryer to semi-straighten my hair. The longest strands *were* about an inch from the chair seat when I was sitting. However, because of some shedding/hair loss from illness, the left side of my hair was a lot shorter than the right (which I never paid attention to, because my hair has been in updos/buns since March 2020, and I haven’t straightened since at least 2018 anyway).
… and ….
2) This thread title kept popping up, no matter how much I tried to ignore it.

I was tempted to start a “Straggly Hair Ends, Don’t Care” thread to fight the urge to cut but even with the ends curled up, the crazy length difference was too ridiculous. So I cut the longer ends back to the length of the right side :cry2: and now my hair is mostly even, with full ends (just a little bit of thinness still on the left side). But it’s so short, just above waist-length. :cry:

I’m not especially hopeful that it will grow normally - this is the third time I have cut back in the past 5-6 years due to wildly uneven growth. But I guess I can start the year with “luscious healthy ends.” :ohwell:

(My ends weren’t damaged; very few knots, almost no split ends… just incredibly uneven.)

Well, Hello @yamilee21! I wish you health and wellness from today forward. It is wonderful to hear that your hair is reaching great lengths AND that you now have full ends at around waist length. Sounds like dream hair :giveup: I see you have surrendered to this thread. Good decision. Might as well save that energy for growing luscious ends. Fighting to escape from the clutches of this thread is futile.

Well, I am going to have to move away from my beloved Aphogee 2 Step. I still love the product. But, to activate it you have to sit under the dryer or use a blowdryer. I have severe melasma on my face and even heat exacerbates my melasma problem. So I investigated Olaplex.

I selected 3, 5, 6. Olaplex 3 seems to be the perennial favorite. The 100 ml size is about $28 dollars. Sephora in Lyon had the 250 ml size for $28 (Euros) instead of the standard $55. It was specially priced. So, I got a big one of the Olaplex No. 3.

It was this video that made me decide to bite the bullet and buy it:

Olaplex Really Works Miracles! Must Watch!

By Ashely Artis

Yes i really wish i can find an alternative to Aphogee 2 step. Its so messy but my hair loves it and retains better.

Yes i really wish i can find an alternative to Aphogee 2 step. Its so messy but my hair loves it and retains better.
Shake up your Aphogee. Pour it into a bowl, about 1/2 to 1 cup of Aphogee 2 Step. Then whisk it with an electric whisker. It will become a foam. My problem is the heat I have to use with it. I change Aphogee 2 Step to a foam. It works beautifully and no drippy mess!

Shake up your Aphogee. Pour it into a bowl, about 1/2 to 1 cup of Aphogee 2 Step. Then whisk it with an electric whisker. It will become a foam. My problem is the heat I have to use with it. I change Aphogee 2 Step to a foam. It works beautifully and no drippy mess!
Woah really? even as you apply it it doesnt liquify again or drip under the dryer?

Woah really? even as you apply it it doesnt liquify again or drip under the dryer?

Yes! Even as I apply it never liquifies. It may drip a little bit under the dryer. Even the smell dissipates. I got an email from the plant manager at Aphogee. He even liked the video. I changed something called the 'rheology' of the product. It's a fancy way to say I changed the form or texture or flow of the product. The change in rheology of the product does not adversely impact the product's effectiveness. Try it!

I’m in! I’ve been wearing crochets to grow it out but my ends suffered and my hair is thinner now. I did a much needed trim yesterday.

Hey @londonfog ,
The escape route out of this thread is thicker than the mist at the top of Big Ben. Once you're in this thread, you are in...FOREVER! Welcome. May you accomplish all your luscious healthy End related dreams in 2022!

I read up on Olaplex some more. I decided to go out and get Olaplex No. 0 to better enhance Olaplex No. 3. I had to contact four different stores in town. None of the physical Sephora stores in Lyon had it. I called a place called, "La Boutique du Le Coiffeur" which translates into the Hairdresser's Boutique. I called and asked her to set aside the No. 0 for me. During my first time Olaplex process, I also used Olaplex No. 5 and Olaplex No. 6

I noticed the difference immediately with Olaplex No. 0 and Olaplex No. 3!
  1. I undid my greasy braids and put my hair in bantu knots. The oil dissipated on the hair and it was less greasy after about 2 hours.
  2. I applied Olaplex No. 0 on my dry, dirty hair. I started with saturating my ends since I thought they are my most vulnerable and fragile parts of my hair. Olaplex No. 0 is like water in terms of its texture and rheology. It had a slight chemically smell [to me], but not like Aphogee 2 Step's smell.
  3. I saturated my hair, bantu knot by bantu knot, from ends to root. Once I finished saturating the hair section, I put it back into a tight bantu knot so that the product could deeply penetrate and soak into my hair. It took a long time for my hair to 'feel' wet and saturated as I was squirting and squeezing the product from the bottle. My hand got tired. I had to use 1/2 the bottle to do my whole head.
  4. By the time I got to the last bantu knot, the requisite 10 minutes for the product to penetrate was finished for the first bantu knots. So, I immediately went in with Olaplex No. 3. I used 1/2 the bottle of that, too.
  5. I washed with my Keracare shampoo and applied Olaxplex No. 5 conditioner and Olaplex N0. 6 leave in.
What I will repurchase:
  • Olaplex No. 0
  • Olaplex No. 3

What I noticed::walking:
  1. As I was working No. 0 into my hair, my hair started to 'relax' and the tangles just seemed to fall out and fall away effortlessly. Some tangles did remain, though.
  2. As I put in No. 3 I could feel that my hair was so so so soft. The tangles continued to drop away. Ironically, I lost a whole curl this wash day because I was rushing to detangling. That was MY fault, and had nothing to do with using Olaplex.
  3. Shedded hair dropped down to 1/4 the amount. I usually have a pretty, heavy ball of shed hair after I do my hair. This time around, that ball of shed hair was about 1/4 the size and weight it normally is. That alone was amazing.
  4. The shine on my hair was magnificent to behold. My curls drew up and showed out.
  5. The picture below is after using Olaplex No. 0 and Olaplex No. 3.

The test for me is if by the fall of 2022, my hair gains length beyond what it normally does, then Olaplex has done its job for me. The very back of my hair is about 1 inch past my tailbone. If my hair can stay around for the bulk, or the majority of my hair to catch up to that newer, longer length, then Mission Accomplished!

I think I will continue to use Aphogee 2 Step in conjunction with using Olaplex. Olaplex fortifies the internal structure of the hair, much like a load bearing wall. Aphogee forties the external structure of the hair strand like scaffolding. Their roles are different. It's just that the heat generated from sitting under a dryer with Aphogee may aggravate my melasma.

Olaplex No. 1 and Olaplex No. 3 have been officially added to my Luscious Healthy Ends Regimen!!!!

:clap::click::clapping::happydance::headspin:

Attachments

•  Olaplex No. 0 b.jpg
    Olaplex No. 0 b.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
I read up on Olaplex some more. I decided to go out and get Olaplex No. 0 to better enhance Olaplex No. 3. I had to contact four different stores in town. None of the physical Sephora stores in Lyon had it. I called a place called, "La Boutique du Le Coiffeur" which translates into the Hairdresser's Boutique. I called and asked her to set aside the No. 0 for me. During my first time Olaplex process, I also used Olaplex No. 5 and Olaplex No. 6

I noticed the difference immediately with Olaplex No. 0 and Olaplex No. 3!
  1. I undid my greasy braids and put my hair in bantu knots. The oil dissipated on the hair and it was less greasy after about 2 hours.
  2. I applied Olaplex No. 0 on my dry, dirty hair. I started with saturating my ends since I thought they are my most vulnerable and fragile parts of my hair. Olaplex No. 0 is like water in terms of its texture and rheology. It had a slight chemically smell [to me], but not like Aphogee 2 Step's smell.
  3. I saturated my hair, bantu knot by bantu knot, from ends to root. Once I finished saturating the hair section, I put it back into a tight bantu knot so that the product could deeply penetrate and soak into my hair. It took a long time for my hair to 'feel' wet and saturated as I was squirting and squeezing the product from the bottle. My hand got tired. I had to use 1/2 the bottle to do my whole head.
  4. By the time I got to the last bantu knot, the requisite 10 minutes for the product to penetrate was finished for the first bantu knots. So, I immediately went in with Olaplex No. 3. I used 1/2 the bottle of that, too.
  5. I washed with my Keracare shampoo and applied Olaxplex No. 5 conditioner and Olaplex N0. 6 leave in.
What I will repurchase:
  • Olaplex No. 0
  • Olaplex No. 3

What I noticed::walking:
  1. As I was working No. 0 into my hair, my hair started to 'relax' and the tangles just seemed to fall out and fall away effortlessly. Some tangles did remain, though.
  2. As I put in No. 3 I could feel that my hair was so so so soft. The tangles continued to drop away. Ironically, I lost a whole curl this wash day because I was rushing to detangling. That was MY fault, and had nothing to do with using Olaplex.
  3. Shedded hair dropped down to 1/4 the amount. I usually have a pretty, heavy ball of shed hair after I do my hair. This time around, that ball of shed hair was about 1/4 the size and weight it normally is. That alone was amazing.
  4. The shine on my hair was magnificent to behold. My curls drew up and showed out.
  5. The picture below is after using Olaplex No. 0 and Olaplex No. 3.

The test for me is if by the fall of 2022, my hair gains length beyond what it normally does, then Olaplex has done its job for me. The very back of my hair is about 1 inch past my tailbone. If my hair can stay around for the bulk, or the majority of my hair to catch up to that newer, longer length, then Mission Accomplished!

I think I will continue to use Aphogee 2 Step in conjunction with using Olaplex. Olaplex fortifies the internal structure of the hair, much like a load bearing wall. Aphogee forties the external structure of the hair strand like scaffolding. Their roles are different. It's just that the heat generated from sitting under a dryer with Aphogee may aggravate my melasma.

Olaplex No. 1 and Olaplex No. 3 have been officially added to my Luscious Healthy Ends Regimen!!!!

:clap::click::clapping::happydance::headspin:
Is it possible to overload with the bonding in Olaplex? Thanks to you i bought no.4-7 because ive never found a shampoo, leave in, or oil my relaxed hair likes. I wash weekly. Would i eventually overdo it with my hair?

Is it possible to overload with the bonding in Olaplex? Thanks to you i bought no.4-7 because ive never found a shampoo, leave in, or oil my relaxed hair likes. I wash weekly. Would i eventually overdo it with my hair?
I don't know! I'm new to Olapex, too! I don't think it is like a traditional 'protein', where you can get protein overload. But again, I am just now learning about Olaplex. There is an Olaplex thread here. You might want to check it out. Here's the link to the Olaplex thread on LHCF:

@Lylddlebit ahm…what you doing? You trying to sneak through this thread, too? Nope, sorry. We got you. Give up and join us. You cannot escape. If Hotel California is too highbrow for some folks, let me bring it on down about 50 notches… Ahem, clears throat and steps on soapbox to make public announcement:

You can check in, but you can’t check out!

Oh shoot. I love peeking in the progress/challenge threads. I have just been making my focus on my little one’s progress. She is on the tail end of overcoming her biggest hair set back and transitioning into regular grow out mode. Once I get her trouble spot more filled in and an in regular grow out mode, I will go back to posting more. Baby gotta be right before momma's hair is on display(I am a stickler about that), but I will save some picks to share later in 2022 of babying my own ends. In the mean time :curtain: lol.

Last edited:
Ok I'm in. I'm planning to straighten my hair in a day or two for Christmas, I'll add photos then

*Purses lips in judgmental expression* before saying,

"Girl, you act like you made an independent, autonomous choice or something. I 'KNOW' you in. You have no choice. Once any of ya'll dip one toe in this thread, you in it! I'm not talking about @naturaldoll, but some of ya'll toenails tap in way before your toe can even get there. You know who you are!

Oh shoot. I love peeking in the progress/challenge threads. I have just been making my focus on my little one’s progress. She is on the tail end of overcoming her biggest hair set back and transitioning into regular grow out mode. Once I get her trouble spot more filled in and an in regular grow out mode, I will got back to posting more. Baby gotta be right before momma's hair is on display(I am a stickler about that), but I will save some picks to share late in 2022 of babying my own ends. In the mean time :curtain: lol.

Say what you want but you is still IN! We can wait for you until December 31st, 2022. That's no problem. In all serious, I'm just messing with everyone. There is no expectation for people to post or participate. I just like to make you all smile.

Oh shoot. I love peeking in the progress/challenge threads. I have just been making my focus on my little one’s progress. She is on the tail end of overcoming her biggest hair set back and transitioning into regular grow out mode. Once I get her trouble spot more filled in and an in regular grow out mode, I will go back to posting more. Baby gotta be right before momma's hair is on display(I am a stickler about that), but I will save some picks to share late in 2022 of babying my own ends. In the mean time :curtain: lol.

I love that this is your mentality. There are more than a few pictures of me and my mom when I was a kid where my mom looked amazing with her hair freshly done and me looking absolutely wild :lachen:. But please share more of your hair pics! I always love seeing your hair and reading about your routine. I’ve learned a lot from you on this forum:yep:

Back