"love Advice That We Need To Start Ignoring Immediately"

Autumn~Tint~Of~Gold

Rocking the Casbah
I was flipping through March's Glamour magazine (because it's the only magazine I have in the bathroom :look:) and I saw this and thought it was interesting.

Love Advice That We Need to Start Ignoring Immediately

By
Jo Piazza
March 20, 2017 8:00 am
0417-GL-LIFE01-01_sq.png

PHOTO: Josephine Schiele
Until I reached the ripe old age of 34, I valiantly tried to follow the relationship and dating “rules” I learned from magazine articles, rom coms starring Meg Ryan, and my married friends: I didn’t text a guy first. I never slept with anyone too soon. I wore bras and underwear that matched. Where did that get me? I dated all the wrong guys and drank all the wine with all the gay best friends, while I constantly beat myself up for failing at love.
It was only after I started ignoring everyone else’s suggestions that I did fall in love (with a guy so not my type who lived 3,000 miles away) a work trip (taboo) after I slept with him on the first date (double taboo; a friend warned me I’d never hear from him again). Two years later we’re happily married and about to have a baby. I love my love story, and I tell it to show that most relationship advice is for suckers. Listen—I’m no expert on marriage; I’m just a girl who, on the first date, slept with a guy who happened to be awesome. But one thing I do know? Clichéd advice has got to go. Specifically:
“Relationships take hard work.”
Reality check: If a relationship is hard work when you’re dating, when the most important conversations you have are about which movie to see, it’s only going to turn into a slog once life gets real. Right after Nick and I got married, I moved across the country to a city where I had absolutely no friends, family, or support system. I cried to Nick almost every day about how alone I felt, even though he was right next to me. Then I received a terrifying health diagnosis—learning that I have a gene for muscular dystrophy, a disease that had just taken my father’s life. If we hadn’t been able to get through the early, calm times with ease, I don’t know how we would have gotten through all of that.
“You have to love yourself first.”
Once, when I was single, a married friend told me, “I just don’t think you’re happy; when you are, you’ll attract the perfect mate.” Um, no. This advice makes women feel like their own worst enemy—it becomes too easy to say, “Well, maybe I’ll find someone after I work out my body issues,” or “The One might come when I feel better about my job.” In my twenties I thought I couldn’t find the right partner because I hadn’t gotten over my own parents’ terrible marriage—one filled with fighting and tears. I went to a lot of therapy, which taught me a lot about my relationship with my parents but didn’t do anything for my dating life. Here’s the truth: No one ever has it all figured out. I still hate the way my butt looks in skinny jeans, I’ll never run a marathon, and I don’t entirely know what I want to do when I’m a grown-up. None of that makes me any less lovable now.
“Your partner should be your best friend.”
I’ve heard 3,497 wedding vows that talk about someone’s partner being their best during friend, but holding out until you find someone to be your everything isn’t practical or necessary. Marriage today, for many of us, is about finding someone who complements you rather than completes you. I adore my husband, but I go to my friends first for a heart-to-heart about my career or after a fight with my mom. And why not? Each month when I was trying to get pregnant and didn’t—and felt horrible about it—I called my friend Emily instead of talking to Nick, who has nothing useful to say about ovulation. Some people are better at helping with certain things. That’s just life.
“Never go to bed angry.”
You know what makes everything better? Sleep. You know what doesn’t? Fighting until 4:00 A.M.
“If you’re single, it’s because your standards are too high.”
It’s not about high standards. It’s about what’s right for you. Sure, I could have stuck it out with the “professional” poker player who lived in his mom’s basement and tried to feel me up in a Wendy’s. (As my great aunt said to me at the time, “Isn’t everyone a work in progress?”) But a good partnership is about real connection with a stand-up human. For me, it was worth waiting for a guy who makes life better in a thousand small ways.
“When the right person comes along, you just know.”
My first thought after meeting Nick was: I can’t believe a grown man would wear hiking sandals! And then: Maybe that guy should get a haircut. I didn’t “know” anything—in fact, I talked to him only because there was no Wi-Fi on our boat. In hindsight, you always think you knew, but in the moment everyone is a little uncertain. So it’s OK if it doesn’t feel like a bolt of lightning just hit you. If you wait to know right away, you might be waiting forever.
The only thing I learned from all this advice? People will blather on. Ignore them and date like nobody’s watching.
Jo Piazza is the author of How to Be Married: What I Learned from Real Women on Five Continents About Surviving My First (Really Hard) Year of Marriage.

That's the only one I agree with wholeheartedly. Loving yourself is about accepting yourself as is and taking good care of yourself. Nothing to do with fixing yourself or getting the perfect job.

And I agree with her, I think that “Relationships take hard work” is the absolute worst advice ever.

I agree w/the article. :yep:

Sometimes society has these messages that make things harder than it really should be.

I hate the rule:

"When you least expect it, that's when you'll find someone!" :rolleyes:

As if, men just drop on your lap somehow.... :look:

I can see not wanting to look desperate or make finding a guy your life's purpose or something... But SOME ladies actually found their husbands because they were ACTIVELY looking, openly telling friends they wanted to meet someone (or be set up), and doing things that were different from their usual norm in order to put them in a different social circle, meet new people, etc (ie. trying OLD)

So for some, love/a relationship doesn't always just come "when you least expect it".

That's the only one I agree with wholeheartedly. Loving yourself is about accepting yourself as is and taking good care of yourself. Nothing to do with fixing yourself or getting the perfect job.

And I agree with her, I think that “Relationships take hard work” is the absolute worst advice ever.
I agree :yep:

Loving yourself is really about accepting yourself as IS (flaws and all), and being comfortable with YOU.

I know so many ladies who don't have it all figured out, but are still in great relationships.

I too hate when married couples tell me: "Ugh...marriage is HARD WORK!" As if, I somehow thought that marriage is always a picture-perfect bed of roses.

That's like telling someone: "Going to college is hard work!" You don't say? :rolleyes:
Does this mean someone shouldn't have the aspirations of going to college? :look:

I too hate when married couples tell me: "Ugh...marriage is HARD WORK!" As if, I somehow thought that marriage is always a picture-perfect bed of roses.

That's like telling someone: "Going to college is hard work!" You don't say? :rolleyes:
Does this mean someone shouldn't have the aspirations of going to college? :look:

I'm saying a good relationship with a good match should not be sooo hard. Sure people have disagreements etc. but overall I believe a couple that complements one another, where both are committed to one another, is not working sooo hard non-stop. A good relationship IMO should not be sooo hard and so much work. JMHO.

I like this. I don't think there are any real rules either.

The "rules" should be looked at more like guidelines. I think the guidelines are good for women who have difficulty with dating...because not every women inherently knows how to conduct themselves.

One "rule" I've heard, that many women seem to have difficulty with is showing men how to treat you. For example, if a ***** calls you at midnight and you pick up, then you are letting him know that you are ok with getting hit up at booty call hours. Some women will pick up and tell him not call. Some women will pick up because they are wide awake and think it's ok to chat anyway What they don't realize is that men process actions. Don't pick up when he does that. And during the day hours let him know when yo can be reached. Your actions. That's how he knows what he can and cannot do.

A rule as simple as that goes over many heads. this is why guidelines need to exist.

I thought I was the only one that thought that relationships shouldn't be such hard work. In my last relationship when I was complaining about communication and how I felt like I was working too hard at this I would often hear "well, relationships take a lot of hard work" what stood out to me wasn't that they said "relationships take work sometimes" (only ONE friend said this to me when I first became frustrated and ultimately agreed with me when I decided to throw in the towel) but "A LOT of work".

I do not believe that when you are with the right person you need to try so hard all the time. It sounds quite exhausting when you say it out loud. Of course there are times to compromise and work together to figure things out but if you are constantly feeling like you are "working" at something then there is a chance you are with the wrong person.

I'm saying a good relationship with a good match should not be sooo hard. Sure people have disagreements etc. but overall I believe a couple that complements one another, where both are committed to one another, is not working sooo hard non-stop. A good relationship IMO should not be sooo hard and so much work. JMHO.
I thought I was the only one that thought that relationships shouldn't be such hard work. In my last relationship when I was complaining about communication and how I felt like I was working too hard at this I would often hear "well, relationships take a lot of hard work" what stood out to me wasn't that they said "relationships take work sometimes" (only ONE friend said this to me when I first became frustrated and ultimately agreed with me when I decided to throw in the towel) but "A LOT of work".

I do not believe that when you are with the right person you need to try so hard all the time. It sounds quite exhausting when you say it out loud. Of course there are times to compromise and work together to figure things out but if you are constantly feeling like you are "working" at something then there is a chance you are with the wrong person.
I really thought it was me. I've been married for almost 15 years and it has never felt like work or like a job or a struggle or whatever it is people are always complaining about. For a minute, I thought my husband and I were doing something wrong because we weren't at odds.

In my past relationships, I often felt ill at ease or I was always arguing with the man and trying to be heard and understood. And you know what? All of those men were wrong for me. Each of those relationships felt like work because I was wasting my time trying to make a bad situation into the right one. Busy hoping we would become compatible in ways that were never going to happen.
I don't say this to people when they complain about their relationships to me, but I'm going to say it here; if your marriage feels like hard labor, you might need a new gig.

One "rule" I've heard, that many women seem to have difficulty with is showing men how to treat you. For example, if a ***** calls you at midnight and you pick up, then you are letting him know that you are ok with getting hit up at booty call hours. Some women will pick up and tell him not call. Some women will pick up because they are wide awake and think it's ok to chat anyway What they don't realize is that men process actions. Don't pick up when he does that. And during the day hours let him know when yo can be reached. Your actions. That's how he knows what he can and cannot do.

A rule as simple as that goes over many heads. this is why guidelines need to exist.

Exactly!

That's why to this day I still LOVE that book WMLB.

The whole premise of that book is that you basically "teach" men how to treat you :yep:

As far as dating advice/rules goes. I stopped taking advice from women :look: The end. :lol:

:lol: Right...

I think I need to add that to my list as well.

Have you found that you get better relationship advice from men though?? :look: Or do you just not take advice from anyone these days?

That's what I feel too.

I think that when I find the RIGHT person, things will be more "effortless". Sure, there will be times when we may disagree or have a spat, but it won't be so much "hard work" that people always tend to drill into my head. :rolleyes:

I really thought it was me. I've been married for almost 15 years and it has never felt like work or like a job or a struggle or whatever it is people are always complaining about. For a minute, I thought my husband and I were doing something wrong because we weren't at odds.

In my past relationships, I often felt ill at ease or I was always arguing with the man and trying to be heard and understood. And you know what? All of those men were wrong for me. Each of those relationships felt like work because I was wasting my time trying to make a bad situation into the right one. Busy hoping we would become compatible in ways that were never going to happen.
I don't say this to people when they complain about their relationships to me, but I'm going to say it here; if your marriage feels like hard labor, you might need a new gig.

I think you found the RIGHT man for you! :yep: :up:

I think so many times women tend to find a guy they really like, but ignore red flags that he's not the best person for them, and they tend to try to MAKE him "fit" in their lives. But in reality, if you're having to "work" hard at it, then it's best that you let him go. Relationships shouldn't be THAT much work. Compromise, learning, growing, making peace...YES. But hard work ALL the time?? Naaaah.... :hand:[/QUOTE]

I don't believe in letting anger fester for too long. Feelings of resentment, more anger, hurt and uncertainty will creep in and grow. I like communication, resolution and just keeping our love and bigger picture first.
I had a beef with SO for almost 24 hrs over a miscommunication and we both felt terrible. Letting anger linger is not worth it.

Keep in mind, I'm pretty selfish and ruthless so this was something new that I learned being with my SO. Previous relationships I was invested in being right and making the man suffer. With my SO it's so different, there's this freedom and love so present that I don't even enjoy doing stuff like that.

Last edited:
Exactly!

That's why to this day I still LOVE that book WMLB.

The whole premise of that book is that you basically "teach" men how to treat you :yep:

:lol: Right...

I think I need to add that to my list as well.

Have you found that you get better relationship advice from men though?? :look: Or do you just not take advice from anyone these days?
[/QUOTE]

Let me back track a bit..

I only take advice from women who are in situations I want to be in or men. I say situations because I haven't always want to be in a monogamous relationship *ahem* but I digress.

Yes, men give better advice. Well, not really better advice, but they give the male pov which women aren't always capable of doing.

Women sometimes are biased.

Let me be clear though. I don't ask all men for their 2 cents. My brother is one of the few men I trust for perspective. Dating has been far more effective since avoiding the peanut gallery ( or "hen house" as I call it). And yes, this means that I stopped confiding in my own girl friends.

Thank you so much for posting. Women like you so often don't post. It has taken me a long time to get that relationships are supposed to be supportive and comforting, not angst-ridden and frustrating. This whole relationships are hard thing I believe was created to keep women stuck, make them feel like a quitter for letting go of a bad thing. People push through grad school to get to the finish line and receive their degree so that they can get a better job, make more money, etc. The thing is that this whole relationships are hard thing never ends. It goes on and on. The woman is never free from the "hard work" or rewarded. That is not living. It's not fair.

I hear most people say that relationships are work (not HARD work) in an effort to dispel this myth we cling to that we'll meet someone, have an argument, make up...and live happily ever after...just like in the movies.

I see relationships like any other thing of value...like a car...they need regular maintenance. But the extent of upkeep depends on various factors (internal & external)...but if it's ALWAYS breaking down, or ALWAYS giving you trouble then yeah...you got a lemon and need to upgrade to a better model.

When I hear relationship takes work, it only means the vulnerabilities that it exposes that are hard to face, the compromise (maybe moving to another city/country and deciding to leave your loved one behind), checking your emotional baggage etc. that's how I understand it.
Lawd knows, in that way it's been quite revealing and a bitter pill to swallow at times.

The "rules" should be looked at more like guidelines. I think the guidelines are good for women who have difficulty with dating...because not every women inherently knows how to conduct themselves.

Jeez, I went on a whole rant, but didn't make my point :perplexed:

In conclusion, books like Why Men Love *****es have value because it lays out dating tips in a simple format. Rules are useful up until you have enough experience to finesse the dating world on your own. Por ejemplo, its best to avoid sexing on the first date if you're new to the game. But some of us know how to flip the script w/o getting caught up. This is definitely one of those rules that can keep you out of trouble.

**sorry y'all. Its been a long week. Off to finish my other incomplete posts :lol:

Relationships are VERY hard work, in my experience lol but I think that depends heavily on what phase in life you all meet each other in, particularly if you're both under 35.

I also don't believe in never going to bed mad. Soooo much has been resolved just by turning opposite ways and going to sleep lol

I hear most people say that relationships are work (not HARD work) in an effort to dispel this myth we cling to that we'll meet someone, have an argument, make up...and live happily ever after...just like in the movies.

I see relationships like any other thing of value...like a car...they need regular maintenance. But the extent of upkeep depends on various factors (internal & external)...but if it's ALWAYS breaking down, or ALWAYS giving you trouble then yeah...you got a lemon and need to upgrade to a better model.

EXACTLY!

I've been married for 21 years and I can definitely say that marriage takes work. And over the 21 years, some moments in our marriage has taken VERY hard work. What's wrong with that? Marriage isn't effortless. If someone tells you that THEY ARE LYING! I enjoy putting effort into my marriage, into my husband, and making sure our relationship remains healthy. I have to remain conscious of his wants and needs, my actions, and the role I play in all of it. To me, that is work. Not hard work, or bothersome, or a chore - just work. Effort on my part. I love my husband but after years of marriage you have to keep the fire burning and not allow yourself to become complacent or neglectful. That is work. Life gets in the way sometimes and it can be difficult to stay focused on what is of the utmost importance: my relationship with God and my family. That takes effort. That takes work.

If I ever get into a relationship that's "easy", I'm leaving because something isn't right.

Back