lots of hair lost during relaxer rinse is it cos i stretched???

Danichoo

Hello ladies

today I relaxed my hair after a 9 week stretch as I started noticing some breakage this week. been maintaing hair with rollersets and had no issues at all.comb my hair through on wash day when i do the roller set and thats it. noticed some loss when i washed and just put it down to

- the fact i dont comb my hair daily
- the fact im wearing my hair curly means it cant actually fall off my head so gets tangled in the curl so only coming out at wash day

so bearing this in mind i was ready for some lost, I was not ready for this!! i have been going through some on them lookingfor white bulbs to see if it is breakage or shedding but it seems to be mostly shedding. does any one els notice this??

it looks thinner to me but it could be cos Im used to flat irong..now Im just moaning...sorry

SO- do you experience more loss and does my hair look thin or does it just need combing?

I have attached some photos, one from June and one from today-
note that june I had blowdried and flat ironed, today I just wide toothe combed and towel dried

Attachments

• Slide1.JPG
    Slide1.JPG
    35.7 KB · Views: 112
You have alot of growth, which is always a good thing. Also, keep in mind when you relax you hair, the first week until you wash it, it will look thin. The first pic you have your hair together the second pic, you have it spreaded apart. With that in mind, your hair is not thin as you might think and it also longer, give it another week after your wash and take another picture, you should see a difference. GOOD GROWTH. HTH

Last edited:
Don't worry- you wouldn't believe the amount of hair I lose relaxer day. Almost a handful! My hair is healthy though, so I think it's just a mix of the amount of NG we have and how harsh relaxers are on our hair. I wouldn't be worried.
Also, when my hair is in a "growing out period" my ends always look a little bit thinner than the rest of my hair. Is your hair layered? that might be the culprit!

ITA with Princess and Britney :grin:! Your hair will appear thinner after a relaxer and losing shed hair is unavoidable; regardless, your hair has grown so much in 9 weeks!!!
Bravo and congrats, sis :grin::grin:@

What you experienced is normal when stretching relaxers. I learned the hard way that it's best to just separate your hair before relaxing and detangle each section. Once, I decided to play 'lil dummy' and I figured that after my hair was relaxed the shed hair would just slide out..... I ended up with a big hairball.

What type of relaxer do you use? I thought that breakage/lots of shedding was a necessary part of my relaxing experience until I starte dc'ing and using mizani butter blends. The dc'ing i just started 2 weeks ago and I can really tell a difference in my most recent relaxer. There was very little shedding and breakage. I've been using Mizani BB for at least my last 5 relaxers and it helps with breakage as well.

not heard of /triad mizani im a d& l girl as i just dont get on with olive oil or other store bought relaxer. Ill look up that product x

oh my goodness i just did a search and it sounds great...anyone know of uk stockist?? will it matter if i switch relaxers? anyone suffered for swithching??

What you experienced is normal when stretching relaxers. I learned the hard way that it's best to just separate your hair before relaxing and detangle each section. Once, I decided to play 'lil dummy' and I figured that after my hair was relaxed the shed hair would just slide out..... I ended up with a big hairball.

So, so true. I just relaxed my crown after 4 years of it being natural and, because I combed through my hair very well two days before relaxing, I barely lost any hair while rinsing. When I combed my hair, I lost no more than 5 hairs!! Normally, my comb is full of hair and a lot goes down the drain while rinsing.

Back