Loooooong Transitioners: I need your Help

Anacaona

Loooooong term transitioners, (1 year+) can you fill out this form for me please? I'm a little over 4 months post, BSL and just want to cut away my relaxed hair little by little (too chicken for the BC)

Starting Length:

Weeks/Months into Transiton before BC:

Products that made a difference:

Techniques that made the difference:

Any other advice for me?:

Thank you

Starting Length: Collarbone length.

Weeks/Months into Transiton before BC: 58.5 weeks

Products that made a difference: Little pooing, ie, once a month only now with a natural shampoo like Avalon Organics Biotin B-Complex Thickening poo and conditioner; deep treating with Joico K-Pak Deep Penetrating Reconstructor; deep conditioning with Alterna Enzyme Therapy hemp hydrating conditioner; there are others, but my hair likes these a lot.

Techniques that made the difference: Low manipulation styles, ie, braids and wigs. Also washing and conditioning my hair while in big plaits.

Any other advice for me?: Be patient while detangling or all the above steps would have been a total waste.

Loooooong term transitioners, (1 year+) can you fill out this form for me please? I'm a little over 4 months post, BSL and just want to cut away my relaxed hair little by little (too chicken for the BC)

Starting Length: MBL

Weeks/Months into Transiton before BC: 2 years and 10 months

Products that made a difference: Coconut Oil, Leave In Conditioner (Giovanni Direct is great and so are some of the products by Garnier Fructis)

Techniques that made the difference: When I was completely relaxed, I rollerset on a weekly basis. When I decided to transition, I continued to rollerset for as long as I could. Even several months into my transition, I would rollerset and flat iron the new growth. For a lot of people, braidouts helped them through the process but they were not my friend because the NG that grew in was way too frizzy to blend in with my relaxed hair. Bunning was a Godsend. I would also go to the salon every 2-3 months to get rid of the relaxed ends gradually so I wouldn't really miss the length that much. (and also to maintain the convenience of being able to bun) The most I ever got cut off at one time (my biggest "big chop") was about 6 inches at one time which was toward the end of the transition.

Any other advice for me?: When you think about throwing in the towel, remember your reason for transitioning. Make sure to stay on top of your deep conditioning and also be very gentle to your hair when detangling (in the shower). Believe it or not, I didn't properly learn the correct way to detangle my hair until I started transitioning. When I was relaxed, detangling my hair was a nightmare for me!

Let me know if you have further questions. There is a wealth of knowledge here on the board so hopefully some of the other ladies will chime in to answer.

BB

Thank you

Responses above in bold.

BB

Starting Length: APL I think?

Weeks/Months into Transiton before BC: It's been over 2 years now....I don't plan to BC.

Products that made a difference: Not products specifically because I've been a major PJ....I just make sure I keep it moisturized 24/7 with something.

Techniques that made the difference: Protective styles 24/7...cornrows w/ wigs or extension individuals.

Any other advice for me?: I'm afraid not. I'm sure you'll be fine.

Ok so it is possible. It sounds silly but I'm really attached to the length of my hair I've climbed mountains to get here. LOL. I don't know about the future, but I'm trying to hold off on the BC as long as possible.

Bumping for more responses....

Starting Length:
Current Length:

Weeks/Months into Transiton before BC: I'm still transitioning, I'm 63 weeks (14.5 months) post relaxer and plan to go till I'm anywhere between 20 and 24 months post.

Products that made a difference: Moisturising spritz + shea mix + cowashing + DC (ORS Replenishing Con & Oils) + Leave In Conditioner (Giovanni Direct)... see fotki: http://public.fotki.com/MummysGirl/transition-to-natural/products-accessories-etc/

Techniques that made the difference: See my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/MummysGirl81 and Fotki: http://public.fotki.com/MummysGirl/transition-to-natural/hairdos-while-trans/

Any other advice for me?: Checkout Transitioners on Youtube and the threads here e.g. 2010 Transitioners Support Thread: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=419744and Transitioning without BC'ing Thread: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=410134

Starting Length: Almost APL

Weeks/Months into Transiton before BC: 2 years exactly

Products that made a difference:Silicon Mix, ORS replenishing, Bee Mine Growth serum, Silk Amino Acids

Techniques that made the difference: Cornrowing, And detaingling my hair with my head submerged in the bathtub.

Any other advice for me?: Talk to all of us frequently and stalk fotki albums of other transitioners. Oh & be realistic about your hair type.

Starting Length: Almost APL

Weeks/Months into Transiton before BC: 2 years exactly

Products that made a difference:Silicon Mix, ORS replenishing, Bee Mine Growth serum, Silk Amino Acids

Techniques that made the difference: Cornrowing, And detaingling my hair with my head submerged in the bathtub.

Any other advice for me?: Talk to all of us frequently and stalk fotki albums of other transitioners. Oh & be realistic about your hair type.

I have to try that!

Back