Looking for a good whey protein to incorporate into my diet !

Vintageglam

Hi Guys - have been a "lurker" on the site for a while now just tring to get ideas on caring for my own hair (as well as health & fitness).:look:

I have recently decided to incorporate more protein in the form of whey into my diet (ideally breakfast) in the form of shakes, smoothies, pancakes, yoghurt, oatmeal ect etc.

Have done a bit of googling and seem to have hit a brick wall :wallbash: because there seems to he conflicting info as to whether whey is a good or bad thing for hair growth :perplexed. Please see article below;

http://www.drshapiroshairinstitute.c...utritional.php

Anyway I am now looking for a whey protein without any "HGH" and "branched amino acids" and was wondering if anyone had any ideas? I was going to buy the Solgar brand as I saw that they got good reviews on taste and am familiar with the quality of their products (its bad enough that I am not a milk or milkshake person so taste is a pretty important factor :lick:).

Any ideas would therefore be gratefully appreciated :spinning:.

Also I am not just doing this for my hair but rather also general health as I am not naturally the worlds biggest meat lover preferring fish.

Many thanks in advance :newbie:

SG76

Protein is made up of branched chain amino acids, I don't think you can find one without it. Why are you avoiding aminos?

I am confused as to why you don't want a protein shake without amino acids. Amino acids are the building blocks of protein.

I can understand why you don't want a whey protein with HGH, but you have to have branch-chain amino acids for the protein to be complete. These are three of eight amino acids (leucine, isoleucine and valine) that are essential...they can't be produced by your body.

Thanks guys for clearing that up. I think I was just confused by the information in the article? I can't imagine why someone would advocate cutting out the essential.

Anyway I think I will stick to the Solgar as it is HGH free and seems to be a good one.

I am trying to get a vitamin regime together and so far I have decided on a :

Liquid Multivit:http://www.iherb.com/Organic-Life-V...ry-Cranberry-Flavor-30-fl-oz-887-ml/5119?at=0
Fish oils: http://www.iherb.com/Norwegian-Cod-Liver-Oil-Lemon-Flavor-16-8-fl-oz-500-ml/2804?at=0
& Protein: http://www.iherb.com/Solgar-Whey-To...lla-Bean-Flavor-12-oz-340-g-Powder/13309?at=0

Thanks once again !

idk, I use GNC Whey Protein. Has done a good job for my hair and body.

Muscle Milk Light....Muscle Milk Light.....Muscle Milk light!!!!!!

Try Vanilla Creme....extremely smooth and delicious. I'll never try another brand.

I use Jay Robb Vanilla Whey. I don't know if it will benefit my hair or not, I just use it for my protein shakes

Try Vanilla Creme....extremely smooth and delicious. I'll never try another brand.
thanks for sharing this! I saw this at the VS the last time I was there and started to purchase it:wallbash:. IIRC, I also saw this at Walmart and Target last weekend. I will purchase a bottle or pack(whichever I can find for the best price) to try it out.

I use Designer's Whey for my smoothies/shakes.

It's delicious, and it dissolves completely. No grit or aftertaste.

I like the chocolate, vanilla and the vanilla praline. All very good!

Hey, I use the Jay Robb Strawberry :lick: Egg Protein shake (24g per scoop). It is da bomb and I'm hoping it does benefit my hair :look: cause that's the main reason I bought it :perplexed.
Anyone have good hair results with Jay Robb shakes?

I use Jay Robb Vanilla Whey. I don't know if it will benefit my hair or not, I just use it for my protein shakes

Last edited:
I think Designer Whey Protein in Vanilla Praline is the best tasting protein powder. It has 18 grams of protein per serving (100 calories). It can be mixed with water or milk. You can look at my hair progress and see what it can do. I went from APL to BSL in about 9-10 months with the help of eggs and Designer Whey Protein.

This is not a meal replacement-- low calorie whey protein.

You can buy a Large tub of it (34 servings) for 18.00 on Vitacost.com. The regular price is $38.99.

This is what I drink...The Muscle Milk Light..I like the Strawberry or Vanilla Creme too...I buy the powder form not the already mixed drink

I have a smoothie shop and the proteins that I use and like the best are Isopure and Lean Body. I start every morning with a protein smoothie, vanilla flavor mixed with strawberries and banana YUM!!! I also add my vitamins for the day.

Thanks guys for clearing that up. I think I was just confused by the information in the article? I can't imagine why someone would advocate cutting out the essential.

Anyway I think I will stick to the Solgar as it is HGH free and seems to be a good one.

I am trying to get a vitamin regime together and so far I have decided on a :

Liquid Multivit:http://www.iherb.com/Organic-Life-V...ry-Cranberry-Flavor-30-fl-oz-887-ml/5119?at=0
Fish oils: http://www.iherb.com/Norwegian-Cod-Liver-Oil-Lemon-Flavor-16-8-fl-oz-500-ml/2804?at=0
& Protein: http://www.iherb.com/Solgar-Whey-To...lla-Bean-Flavor-12-oz-340-g-Powder/13309?at=0

Thanks once again !

Thanks for this I was researching protein as I need to change from soya protein to something and you posted this thread.

Thanks for this I was researching protein as I need to change from soya protein to something and you posted this thread.

As do I!! This thread interests me, as I drink a shake after my workouts, but it seems all the pre-made ones have soy in them - and I can't do that.

I'll have to check out the various recommendations and see which ones are soy free.

Hey, I use the Jay Robb Strawberry :lick: Egg Protein shake (24g per scoop). It is da bomb and I'm hoping it does benefit my hair :look: cause that's the main reason I bought it :perplexed.
Anyone have good hair results with Jay Robb shakes?

When i was drinking it consistently I did notice thickness 1st and some growth...I need to get back to being consistently but I think I wanna try muscle milk lite.
PS I used Jay Robb's whey protein powder chocolate...never tried the egg protein.

What's wrong with soy protein?

For me, the issue with soy is that it contains phytoestrogens, which mimic the natural estrogen in my body. As a dietary method to treat infertility, one of the main things suggested is to remove any phytoestrogens from your diet - and soy is the #1, usually.

So, I can't mess with em.

I use Jay Robb Protein Powder and just recently I've added Nutiva Organic Hemp Protein plus Fiber powder to my diet. Here are some of the reviews of the Hemp Protein Powder, it has pretty good reviews and it's cheap. I have the Plain flavor and they also have Chocolate which I will try soon.

http://www.vitacost.com/Nutiva-Organic-Hemp-Protein-Fiber-16-oz

Per serving it gives you 14 grams of Fiber, 11 grams of Protein, and less than one gram of sugar. It also has Omega 3,6, and 9 in it and lots of magnesium and zinc.

It's a bit gritty and you do have to jazz it up. I add a sweetener to mine, mixed with either Hempmilk or Coconut milk, you can also add fruit to it, whatever you do to make your shakes palatable.--It doesn't bother me (the grittiness) because of all the good things in it.

What's wrong with soy protein?

The pro- estrogen factor stimulates more estrogen hormones in the body. In males, they may experience "male boobs" and women well I dont know about you, but I dont need any more estrogen in my life. It can stimulate fat retention, increased water weight, weight gain...:nono:
No thanks!

My faves:
On a diet and budget: Optimum Nutrition
Not on a diet on a budget: BSN Syntha 6
ON a diet and no budget: PRO-OPTIMAL WHEY- OMG to die for!!!!

I like Matrix, Muscle Milk light, Lean Dessert, Nectar, Syntha-6, and Optimum Nutrition.

I have a sample pack of Jay Robb's strawberry and egg white chocolate but haven't tried them yet. I have tried Jay Robb's tropical dreamsicle and didn't like it.

You are welcome.:yawn:

btw thank you ladies for all the recommendations - my head is now spinning:spinning:.

Also I think I know what the guy may have meant in his original article. I think the article was saying stay away from Whey powders which are predominantly composed of branched chain aa's. This is because these are the one's more used by athletes/ sports people. Instead what you need is a more balanced composition i.e. those also containing aa's such as l-proline and l-cysteine, as these are the ones more likely to help with hair growth. The branched chained ones target more "muscle repair' after a workout, hence why the best time to drink these shakes is in the "golden window" 30 mins after a workout. So really you need to consider what you are primarily using the whey protein for and then decide on a brand based on its ingredients. Also when choosing a whey supp if you don't want to bulk up or loose weight stay away from the meal replacement type products and the ones with lots of carbs (these are the ones men use to bulk up). Also if you are lactose intolerant (which I am slightly) you may want to watch for "whey Isolate" which will help with the mild IBS symptoms of using whey powders and prevent any uncomfortable and embarassing wind...:blush:

Also I was a bit worried about bulking up but my other half assures me that this won't happen (1) unless I over use the stuff (2) b/c women do not produce enough Testosterone to bulk up like men.

Finally on the Estrogen question I also opted for Whey over soy because of the whole Estrogen Dominance debacle/ debate. Basically in response to earlier question unless the brains that be start to come up with some convincing evidence I am staying away from soy in all its forms as I am already displaying the classic symtoms of Estrogen dominance. My hormones are so unbalanced that I cannot take the contraceptive pill until everything has been rebalanced back again (and even then I will consider). I had to stop taking Yasmin mid-cyle because I got such horrific side effects (mood swings, migraines, water retention, back pain, leg pain, etc etc). Bc of that I now have two sets of PMS every months (nightmare for me and husband).

Anyway hope that helps. Any more ideas greatly welcomed and thanks once again ladies !:yawn:

You are welcome.:yawn:

btw thank you ladies for all the recommendations - my head is now spinning:spinning:.

Also I think I know what the guy may have meant in his original article. I think the article was saying stay away from Whey powders which are predominantly composed of branched chain aa's. This is because these are the one's more used by athletes/ sports people. Instead what you need is a more balanced composition i.e. those also containing aa's such as l-proline and l-cysteine, as these are the ones more likely to help with hair growth. The branched chained ones target more "muscle repair' after a workout, hence why the best time to drink these shakes is in the "golden window" 30 mins after a workout. So really you need to consider what you are primarily using the whey protein for and then decide on a brand based on its ingredients. Also when choosing a whey supp if you don't want to bulk up or loose weight stay away from the meal replacement type products and the ones with lots of carbs (these are the ones men use to bulk up). Also if you are lactose intolerant (which I am slightly) you may want to watch for "whey Isolate" which will help with the mild IBS symptoms of using whey powders and prevent any uncomfortable and embarassing wind...:blush:

Also I was a bit worried about bulking up but my other half assures me that this won't happen (1) unless I over use the stuff (2) b/c women do not produce enough Testosterone to bulk up like men.

Finally on the Estrogen question I also opted for Whey over soy because of the whole Estrogen Dominance debacle/ debate. Basically in response to earlier question unless the brains that be start to come up with some convincing evidence I am staying away from soy in all its forms as I am already displaying the classic symtoms of Estrogen dominance. My hormones are so unbalanced that I cannot take the contraceptive pill until everything has been rebalanced back again (and even then I will consider). I had to stop taking Yasmin mid-cyle because I got such horrific side effects (mood swings, migraines, water retention, back pain, leg pain, etc etc). Bc of that I now have two sets of PMS every months (nightmare for me and husband).

Anyway hope that helps. Any more ideas greatly welcomed and thanks once again ladies !:yawn:
t

thanks for doing all the work for me

Back