Long Term Transitioners.... HELP!

MsSanz92

I am currently transitioning again to natural my last relaxer was the end of November. I have transitioned before for 7/9 months 2 years ago (after 7 months I cut off 80% of my relaxed hair and colored it, then 2 months later cut off the last bit of relaxed hair) and was natural for a little over a year. I had some color damage from bleaching my hair, so I texturized in June 2011 then full relaxed the following month. I had major shedding due to medications in Oct/November, and lots of breakage when I did my last relaxer in November (partially my fault I did scratch and irritate my scalp along with other things).

I'm afraid I'll want to either relax again or do a BC when I take my sew in out in May. I really do not want to do either and am considering getting the CHI Enviro Treatment to maintain the frizz in my new growth without completely straightening my hair. How do you guys who transitioned for a long time fight these urges?! I want to give my hair a break in between and try some styles so if you guys who transitioned for over a year have tips, suggestions on styles/products to help that will be great! I'm looking to transition for definitely at least a year; most likely I'm aiming to BC sometime next spring.

Honestly for me, the only thing that has helped me is have my hair up and out of sight. Out of sight, out of mind.

I was slightly over SL when I started and now I'm about little over APL, I've transitioned for about 13 months now. I did it with Curlformer sets and then wearing updos and buns.

But then again I have a very patient personality and only now after 13 months, I'm getting the urge to BC or try something different.

Good luck!

Buns and twist outs have helped me tremendously. It sounds as though you need to take the "out of sight, out of mind" approach. Give your hair a rest and use another sew-in until you are ready to bc. Or, you can move your bc date up, if you are really dealing with an itch.

Braidouts were my saving grace. They were the only reason I got as far as I did while transitioning. I never wore it straight. Just too many headaches.

My advice to you would be treat your hair as if its already natural. Do braidouts twistouts bantu knot outs etc to get your natural hair to blend into your relaxed hair, and be very gentle when detangling.

Back