Long haired relaxed ladies...

katie

How often do you relax?Did you have to relax less frequently as your hair grew longer?My 4b hair is a bit past shoulder and I relax every 2 months.I was just wondering if I could stretch it out more as my hair gets longer.TIA

i think the choice is up to you
smile.gif
but the extra length does give you more styling choices so you dont feel obligated to touchup so often to keep up a certain look. For myself i noticed i started stretching it out as my hair got longer because i'm not really hung up on having "fresh from the shop" hair all the time. I notice i use the length as an excuse not to really "style" it which means i'm not constantly touching up to keep up a certain style. i just end up pulling it back into a bun or sometimes even a low ponytail or something or even just throw on one of my snoods. I dont know what it is but snoods just make your hair look neater
laugh.gif
(i have pics of me with one on in my album). dont feel forced to stretch out your relaxers though, just notice how your hair reacts and you will know what works for you best
wink.gif
-- jainygirl

I've waited about 4 months between touchups ever since I've been relaxing my hair at home, which has been about ten years. I think I waited the same amount of time when I had it done at salons.

I got several shoulder-length haircuts throughout HS and college, and I don't remember needing to touchup my hair sooner because it was shorter.

I agree that you shouldn't try to wait to relax your hair if you don't feel that works for you. Many ladies here and at other boards have said that they experience breakage and styling difficulties when they wait longer than a few weeks. I think the most important factor is the difference in texture between your new-growth and the relaxed hair, regardless of overall length.

I want to add...

Be careful at salons because they may try to persuade you to relax sooner just to line their pockets, or because they are rigidly adhering to guidelines they learned in school, rather than treating each client (and her hair) as an individual.
smile.gif

Back