Long hair (Jealous ones will envy :p )

Lovelylocs

For people who want to have killer hair, just having long hair is not enough IMO. It needs to be rich,thick, shiny, silky, soft, and healthy looking too. :yep: PLUS, u need to have a to die for cut!

There are many women (even black women) who can grow their hair long w/little trouble, BUT do they have a beautiful cut and color? Not usually.

I like Cassie's hair cuts. :)

I wish we would show more hairstyles for inspiration.

ok.

long or short if your hair is jacked it's jacked.
i think overall health is the key. i personally like the blunt look w/ no layers so a cut would ruin "it" for me and color? forget about it. i love the dark black look.

no golden beyonce #3 for me.

gabby02.jpg

aaliyah02.jpg

CiaraPIC5.jpg

244.jackson.janet.091906.jpg

mya-1.jpg

Definitely, a healthy looking, good cut makes a difference. My favorite style is lots of layers, large curls or volume and body. Although, I also like the smooth, straight looks on others.

Definitely, a healthy looking, good cut makes a difference. My favorite style is lots of layers, large curls or volume and body. Although, I also like the smooth, straight looks on others.

Very true...I especially like long flowy layers that frame the face like pictures 3 and 4 above.

I love hair that is full, flowing, and wavy with natural layers (no cutting.) You know, like a real "bohemian" look that's healthy and well-kept (a few silver streaks are great, too). :yep: I don't like hair that looks too "done"--all colored and styled up. Just really natural and sexy! :)

But....I do love me some Big Hair Cosmo Curls...not too neat or anything, though. Just a little wild. :look:

For people who want to have killer hair, just having long hair is not enough IMO. It needs to be rich,thick, shiny, silky, soft, and healthy looking too. :yep: PLUS, u need to have a to die for cut!

There are many women (even black women) who can grow their hair long w/little trouble, BUT do they have a beautiful cut and color? Not usually.

This is something i think/worry about.
My hair will never be thick, but it has body, so i guess thats good enough.
I dye it black to keep the color rich
I do oil treatments and clear dyes and use things with low ph's for shine
I moisturize and deepconditon so it will be soft and silky
And when i get to my length i will get a nice blunt cut to help makeup for it not being really thick.

i like healthy long hair of any kind. long and layered. long and curly, long and blunt.

on myself id prefer long, curly, and blunt cut on the bottom with natural layers throught. :)

You're right it can't just be about length...I want the whole HAIR package which to me is:
Healthy thick or thick looking hair with mega body, shine, long natural layers with loose waves or curls and a natural looking hair color that flatters your complexion!

I can't wait to get layers. I don't just want a blanket of hair (although I'd settle for that :wink2: ) I want it all.

*I'm probably going to keep the indigo-black or henna-red tho... if it ain't broke.*

long (or short), healthy, strong, rich color (dont always have to be black) and shiney = envious hair.

naturally thin or fine hair can be envious too if it's meeting all the above qualities... also, with different styles, it may be possible to fake thickness.

cuts... rather it be blunt, layered or in a style... are just icing on the cake as long as the above qualities are met... at least imo.

long (or short), healthy, strong, rich color (dont always have to be black) and shiney = envious hair.

naturally thin or fine hair can be envious too if it's meeting all the above qualities... also, with different styles, it may be possible to fake thickness.

cuts... rather it be blunt, layered or in a style... are just icing on the cake as long as the above qualities are met... at least imo.

cuts are nice, but I would have to find someone I really trusted to cut my hair because Id be afraid they would just hack half of it off instead of giving me the cut I asked for. Then Id be posting in the thread "have you ever cried over your hair."

When mine gets long enough, I will be on the search for someone who I can trust with a pair of scissors. Heck I might even learn to cut hair just so I can cut my own lol...

Here are some famous examples of my hair idols. Of course, there are several ladies right on this board who have hair I envy. Oh, and this is these women's real hair. It's kinda hard for me to envy someone with a weave, since I could just go out and get that too :lol:

Kenya Moore
kenya-moore-gm_l2.jpg

kenya-vi.jpg

Kenya20Moore2016.jpg

kenyamoore-vi.jpg

Kenya20Moore2010.jpg

Gelila Bekele (Tyler Perry's girlfriend)
l_471fb2869260ecc7e41835d67ae964e1.jpg

l_0720aea12a56f466fff1869e9db9313a.jpg

l_76e52033945d9a830c855d5cb9c066b3.jpg

l_a7a8a16dcc045dbf34a08b2b399ae403.jpg

Jada Pinkett-Smith
G56179_b.jpg

G56178_b.jpg

G56172_b.jpg

Erykah Badu
262536~Erykah-Badu-Posters.jpg

262537~Erykah-Badu-Posters.jpg

B00006ZCFH.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

erykah_badu.jpg

Queen Latifah
04.jpg

queen_latifah.jpg

262801~Queen-Latifah-Posters.jpg

Sanaa Lathan
sanaa-lathan-picture-1.jpg

hr-tm-sl-guest.jpg

sanaa-lathan-2006-clive-davis-pre-grammy-awards-party-o0At1M.jpg

sanaa06.jpg

I am working on long, strong and healthy but thick will not happen. I have thin hair but no envy here, I understand thick is not in my future.

I totally agree with this. In fact, I was just having this conversation IRL with one of my friendgirls a couple of days ago:yep: and since my mother is visiting here with us this week I was showing her some hair here. She loved the healthy heads of hair. Everyone agrees that it's more about the health than the length. Some people can have long hair---I've seen many--and it looks terrible..raggedy ends--see thru ends, dry, no style whatsoever...just hanging there. What is the point in having it if you aren't going to do anything at all with it
This is why I pay attention to the health of my hair more than length. I want the length too but I know the length will come only if my hair retains it's health:yep:.

These are pretty pics of nice styles :yep: but Its all full on weave or added hair pieces to give that fullness,thickness,angled cuts, shine and what not. Except Gelila and maybe Jada.

I agree, its not enough for me to have long hair, I intend to have a glam cut AND colour love the Gabrielle Union and Aaliyah(long layers) so really I can't wait until then, I will be using my weave to get the look:grin:

Gelila Bekele (Tyler Perry's girlfriend)
l_471fb2869260ecc7e41835d67ae964e1.jpg

l_0720aea12a56f466fff1869e9db9313a.jpg

l_76e52033945d9a830c855d5cb9c066b3.jpg

l_a7a8a16dcc045dbf34a08b2b399ae403.jpg

Off topic her hair is awesome! And where can I get some of those hairpins she's sportin in the first picture?

ITA, I always thought healthy hair was better than, just long hair. If you truely take care of your hair the length should be a reward for doing a good job. I think having colors and cuts that complement your skin and face are awesome. Hair should really highlight your beauty.

For people who want to have killer hair, just having long hair is not enough IMO. It needs to be rich,thick, shiny, silky, soft, and healthy looking too. :yep: quote]

I agree.

Healthy hair is most important. Length should be secondary.

i guess i am in this category as far as thick, shiny, silky, soft and heathy-looking. i love my layers. :) only issue i need to resolve is i still have some reddish-brown ends from an old dye job. some people think it's cute, but it irks me. :ohwell:

*shameless plug* i have lots of great pics in my Fotki! :lachen:

Yeah. i used to have this friend who had this long hair (BSL, long for the black neighborhood) but she had split ends up to her shoulder!!! Everybody was like WOW her hair is long! Me and my mom were like WOW she should start cutting to get those ends under control!! But her and her mom wouldn't listen to us. I haven't seen her in a while but I sincerely hope they got smart before it split alll the way to the top of her head!

I love hair that is long, thick, and glossy black. I LOVE raven hair! I might have my hair cut in layers or something when it gets really long, like around waist length, but I don't think I'll be chopping any layers anytime soon. My hair needs every chance to grow!:reddancer:

thumbnail4-vi.jpg

Amel Larrieux has gorgeous hair

Last edited:
:lol: We all agree that a nice cut is important, but almost no one is willing to sacrifice length for a great cut! :lachen: Classic! When my hair is brastrap, I will get a nice cut! When my hair gets to be waist length, I'll get a nice cut! My hair is waist length. Now, I wanna see if my hair can grow to thigh length, then I'll get a nice cut! (Not IRL... :lol:) :p We are so fascinated by the growth that we won't let sacrifice 3 inches or more for style. :ohwell: Plus, I think we have had so many bad experiences w/stylists that we are afraid they will give us a bad cut and then those 3 inches or more would've been lost for nothing. :( :lol:

:look: I'm waiting for my hair to grow past midback, then I MIGHT let someone give me a cut. :p :lachen: :look: For real tho...

Back