Long Distance Love

Ms Red

Do you have any advice for those of us in LDRs? Especially different states. . . I have been with SO for a while but recently moved and I'd appreciate any tips. He won't relocate to my state until he has THE job and THE ring. He is totally against living together unless a date is set in stone and planning done. I guess I will be praying or waiting.

Why me?! :cry:

Well my boyfriend and I are doing the long distance relationship thing now and its difficult. But I just recommend talking everyday and making trips to see each other as many times as possible. Communication is always key and as long as you both make the effort to keep things going it should make your living situations much easier.

I was in an LDR for a year and a half.

I probably saw him every 2-3 months. I probably wouldn't do it again, but I LOVED that man something fierce and was willing to give it a shot.

It takes a lot of patience and a strong level of committment. All I can say is try to keep yourself occupied, so that you dont' spend too much time sitting around missing him. If I could go back, that's definitely one of things I would do differently.

Hopefully someone who's actually been successful at it will chime in. :look:

You crazy talkin bout folks viewing but not spewing:lachen: Chile be glad he wants to do things a lil like right.
I suggest you try looking out and forwarding career/job opportunites that fit his education and work experience. Some employers have 24 hour job site that even if the job isn't open now you can fill out notification cards so when they do open they will mail the job info and application for completion.
Now I got questions chica. What timeframe is he talking? How are you guys going to keep hope alive and the spark during the distance? Are you sure he isn't scared of starting over in a new city and being away from family? Is shacking something you really wanna do? Uh lastly what type of ring is he suggesting?:lachen:cuz errahh maybe a olive branch and making your love official to God and the world is more important than a rock. Knowwhatmean?

Woo hoo replies :superbanana:

Cocoaluv- Good suggestions, thanks. Both of us are so busy with work, etc. that we don't do e-mail but we do talk/text twice a day which is good. You're right, communication is important... we're trying to make it work.

Hil84figer- Thanks for those links. I am going to look through those for inspiration :)

Mzlady- Was 2-3 months too long? I know that I'd like to see him every month if I could but with work and all... you know how that goes. :rolleyes:

firecracker- :lachen::lachen: I will be forwarding jobs like a mug. :lol: Our plan? The man is from Philly and hates it as much as I do... he has a big family and I know he will miss them but like he says, he is a grown man and grown men need to be selfish sometimes. :look: It's only been 3 weeks, I'm pathetic :lol:

His goal was to relocate by December but companies are looking at their bottom lines at the end of the yr and not really hiring. So Feb-March? I really don't want to shack up and I know this is the best way... As for a plan, I know that he is excited to move to Texas but wants to have a good job so he's applying and interviewing, etc. The plan is just to see each other as often as possible (I'll visit after Thanksgiving, he will visit me and my family at Christmas, etc.) so that we don't start acting up. :rolleyes: The ring? See why you had to call me out on the ring? :lachen: I was a little demanding when I mentioned what I liked :blush: but... reality hit me and we're good now. I think. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Thanks for answering my many evasive silly questions. Your just into the LDR and that bootay is going craaaazay:lachen::lachen:. Ain't being in love grand?:lick: Chile his first visit you'll be at the airport with butterflies and that coogee poppin:lachen: Chile don't press about the huge rock right off if you guys are trying to get to the same place and space. Stay strong in prayer and find a good church for ya'll down in Texas. I gotta tell ya though they gon put ya'll in couple counseling and suggest ya'll live separate for a hawt minute.

Oh I like when he said "I'm a grown man and sometimes grown men have to be selfish":blush::grin:

Ooooooh shut up firecracker! :smirk: :blush: :look:

My sides hurt so bad from laughing. WHY?!! :lachen:
Thanks for answering my many evasive silly questions. Your just into the LDR and that bootay is going craaaazay:lachen::lachen:. Ain't being in love grand?:lick: Chile his first visit you'll be at the airport with butterflies and that coogee poppin:lachen: Chile don't press about the huge rock right off if you guys are trying to get to the same place and space. Stay strong in prayer and find a good church for ya'll down in Texas. I gotta tell ya though they gon put ya'll in couple counseling and suggest ya'll live separate for a hawt minute.

Oh I like when he said "I'm a grown man and sometimes grown men have to be selfish":blush::grin:

I am in one..
I hate the distance and trust me it's hard...

But you make it work the best way you can..
chile, find a hobby cause i sure do need one..

Keep us posted...Keep me posted..
U two will be together before you know it..

Thanks yankgal. I do need some kind of hobby :crazy:
I am in one..
I hate the distance and trust me it's hard...

But you make it work the best way you can..
chile, find a hobby cause i sure do need one..

Keep us posted...Keep me posted..
U two will be together before you know it..

How much distance are we talking about??

I was in a LDR (NY/MD) for 6 years. He came to see me every other weekend, but still... it really wasn't enough. To me it was never a "real" relationship. And it probably only lasted that long because we weren't together on a daily basis.

HOWEVER... it did serve its purpose for both of us. We both have children, so we worked it out where we would spend our "free weekends" together, so it surely did allow us to fulfill our, ::clears throat:: needs, nah mean? :laugh:.. while still allowing me to provide my daughter with a safe and stable home environment. I never really wanted to bring a man into our home while she was growing up... she did know and like him, but he wasn't a permanent fixture in our household, while at the same time he was around sometimes and we did take vacations together with the kids during the summer, so all in all, it was a very nice relationship.

But for two people with no children, I would NOT recommend a LDR, unless there are definite plans for one person to move closer in the near future.

Just my 2 cents!! :yep:

He is in PA and I am now in TX. We have been together for a while and he is talking about marriage and babies and scaring me.

I cannot spend another year away from him. That's how I feel right at this minute. He feels the same way, we don't just want an extended relationship Im scared to say this but I think we both want marriage.

I have to go lay down across the bed now Lindy, because I can't even believe I just typed that. :rolleyes:
How much distance are we talking about??

I was in a LDR (NY/MD) for 6 years. He came to see me every other weekend, but still... it really wasn't enough. To me it was never a "real" relationship. And it probably only lasted that long because we weren't together on a daily basis.

HOWEVER... it did serve its purpose for both of us. We both have children, so we worked it out where we would spend our "free weekends" together, so it surely did allow us to fulfill our, ::clears throat:: needs, nah mean? :laugh:.. while still allowing me to provide my daughter with a safe and stable home environment. I never really wanted to bring a man into our home while she was growing up... she did know and like him, but he wasn't a permanent fixture in our household, while at the same time he was around sometimes and we did take vacations together with the kids during the summer, so all in all, it was a very nice relationship.

But for two people with no children, I would NOT recommend a LDR, unless there are definite plans for one person to move closer in the near future.

Just my 2 cents!! :yep:

He is in PA and I am now in TX. We have been together for a while and he is talking about marriage and babies and scaring me.

I cannot spend another year away from him. That's how I feel right at this minute. He feels the same way, we don't just want an extended relationship Im scared to say this but I think we both want marriage.

I have to go lay down across the bed now Lindy, because I can't even believe I just typed that. :rolleyes:

dont be scared, just live, have his babies damnit!:lachen:

i wish u lots of happiness!!!:grin:

Been there, done that. For 3 years.

I will never (and I don't like saying never) do an LDR again. I hate the idea of "planning" a weekend for basic needs, like kissing and hugging. And other things, of course!

It is hard work but if you feel it's worth it, you guys will do whatever it takes to make it work.

Good luck!!!

(Must.rest.head.now.):lachen:

Girl I have been there!

Thank you for your honesty!!
Been there, done that. For 3 years.

I will never (and I don't like saying never) do an LDR again. I hate the idea of "planning" a weekend for basic needs, like kissing and hugging. And other things, of course!

It is hard work but if you feel it's worth it, you guys will do whatever it takes to make it work.

Good luck!!!

Oh my God!:blush: :lachen: I never read it stated better

I have been with my SO for 4 years and he joined the military in february...he is currently in tx for AIT and I am in GA...It gets tough, but I want to make it work and we love eachother..I say this, if you can withstand distance, you can do anything. We try to see eachother once a month and during holidays. He is suppose to come back in march after he graduates from AIT but then I we probably still will be doing long distance bc I plan on going to graduate school in Alabama while he is in ga....But one day we will be together permanently...

Thank you tinkat. I am convinced that if two people work at it and want the relationship to work out it will. If they are looking for an out or an excuse to cheat, etc., then it wasn't meant to be.

Good luck to you in your LDR as well :)
I have been with my SO for 4 years and he joined the military in february...he is currently in tx for AIT and I am in GA...It gets tough, but I want to make it work and we love eachother..I say this, if you can withstand distance, you can do anything. We try to see eachother once a month and during holidays. He is suppose to come back in march after he graduates from AIT but then I we probably still will be doing long distance bc I plan on going to graduate school in Alabama while he is in ga....But one day we will be together permanently...

I've been in a LDR for almost 2 years. For awhile we were seeing each other almost every weekend and things were good(though it got a lot annoying for me riding Greyhound every Friday :ohwell:). This semester is different and I've only seen him twice since the end of August and we're struggling a little.:sad: Sigh.

There's a LOTTTTTTTTTTTTTT of trust involved in a LDR.

It can be very frustrating. Makes me wanna punch all the normal couples I see.

Woo hoo replies :superbanana:

Cocoaluv- Good suggestions, thanks. Both of us are so busy with work, etc. that we don't do e-mail but we do talk/text twice a day which is good. You're right, communication is important... we're trying to make it work.

Hil84figer- Thanks for those links. I am going to look through those for inspiration :)

Mzlady- Was 2-3 months too long? I know that I'd like to see him every month if I could but with work and all... you know how that goes. :rolleyes:

firecracker- :lachen::lachen: I will be forwarding jobs like a mug. :lol: Our plan? The man is from Philly and hates it as much as I do... he has a big family and I know he will miss them but like he says, he is a grown man and grown men need to be selfish sometimes. :look: It's only been 3 weeks, I'm pathetic :lol:

His goal was to relocate by December but companies are looking at their bottom lines at the end of the yr and not really hiring. So Feb-March? I really don't want to shack up and I know this is the best way... As for a plan, I know that he is excited to move to Texas but wants to have a good job so he's applying and interviewing, etc. The plan is just to see each other as often as possible (I'll visit after Thanksgiving, he will visit me and my family at Christmas, etc.) so that we don't start acting up. :rolleyes: The ring? See why you had to call me out on the ring? :lachen: I was a little demanding when I mentioned what I liked :blush: but... reality hit me and we're good now. I think. :rolleyes:

Girl, it was long as hell!!

But he was in Cali and I was in MA so we didnt really have a choice. I wanted to be with him so I did what I had to do. I wouldn't do it again though.

It's nice to have a plan to see each other every x amount of months, but trust me, things will happen beyond your control that may keep it from happening.

It's not impossible, but you can't do it indefinitely. There has to be some intention of eventually being in the same place.

Best of luck to you!

LOL you are too funny :grin:

Well you already know me and you are >>>here<<< on the LDR thang so I can relate. I been reading this thread to get tips too :yep:

But like you said in your other posts, if cheating (not temptation, but actual act of cheating) becomes a persistent element it likely wasn't meant to be

Wow, you all are talking about LDR's where you see each other every 2 or 3 months or longer??!! That's insane. I was seeing my guy every other weekend and that still didn't seem like enough for me. I don't know, but I'm the kind of woman who needs to see her man OFTEN. Otherwise, no thank you... :nono: It's just unrealistic. I'm sooo not into that "missing you all the time" heartachey feeling that comes along with LDR's. Nope. I'd rather be alone...

Plus you have to have A LOT of trust in your guy otherwise you can drive yourself nuts wondering if he's seeing anyone. He also has to be a certain type of guy because many men like to have a woman around on the regular, if ya know what I mean... :look:

Wow, you all are talking about LDR's where you see each other every 2 or 3 months or longer??!! That's insane. I was seeing my guy every other weekend and that still didn't seem like enough for me. I don't know, but I'm the kind of woman who needs to see her man OFTEN. Otherwise, no thank you... :nono: It's just unrealistic. I'm sooo not into that "missing you all the time" heartachey feeling that comes along with LDR's. Nope. I'd rather be alone...

Plus you have to have A LOT of trust in your guy otherwise you can drive yourself nuts wondering if he's seeing anyone. He also has to be a certain type of guy because many men like to have a woman around on the regular, if ya know what I mean... :look:

ITA.

You were very fortunate Lindy. We've been long distance for 1.5 years and only have seen each other 10 times. So imagine having to feel lonely during that 1.5 years. :rolleyes:

Awww...Cupcake!:kiss: Sorry, no advice to give, but I sho hope me and Boo don't have to do the LDR thing.:nono:

Awwww :lol: @ the bolded!
I've been in a LDR for almost 2 years. For awhile we were seeing each other almost every weekend and things were good(though it got a lot annoying for me riding Greyhound every Friday :ohwell:). This semester is different and I've only seen him twice since the end of August and we're struggling a little.:sad: Sigh.

There's a LOTTTTTTTTTTTTTT of trust involved in a LDR.

It can be very frustrating. Makes me wanna punch all the normal couples I see.

Girrrrl... yep, unforseen things can pop up and ruin plans :nono:

Thanks MsLady78.... there is definitely a need for the negro to move :yep: and he is working that out :lol:
Girl, it was long as hell!!

But he was in Cali and I was in MA so we didnt really have a choice. I wanted to be with him so I did what I had to do. I wouldn't do it again though.

It's nice to have a plan to see each other every x amount of months, but trust me, things will happen beyond your control that may keep it from happening.

It's not impossible, but you can't do it indefinitely. There has to be some intention of eventually being in the same place.

Best of luck to you!

Back