Long Distance Love: I want him to get his life TOGETHER!

ppp422

:blush:I love my boyfriend but I would like him to get his life together.

I am 22 years old and my bf is 23. We met online a year ago; it was the first time I ever considered anyone online. At the time I wasn’t looking for a relationship because I was a college senior with plans of relocating across the country after graduation. At the time he was ok with that. We continued as friends until June when we became a couple. I moved at the end of July. He has plans to move here out here with me, but get his own apartment because we don’t believe in living together before marriage. We have a lot in common, we have the same values, and he is easy to talk to. He loves me very much and I love him. :yep:

My stress comes from the fact that his life is not together. When we met he told me he was in college as well. He lives with his parents, something I am not thrilled about but dealt with because he was in college (I think it bothered me because I have been on my own since after high school). He was laid off from his job last December and unemployed from last January to August. During that period he had no cell phone and I was forced to talk to him on his parents’ phone. He drives an unsafe, beat up vehicle (which I personally refuse to ride in, so I drive whenever we go out) the doors are secured with bungee cords.:nono: His current job is not that lucrative so he has not been able to visit me in the six months I have been here. I have had to fund my own trips home to see him. After months of things not adding up, I confronted him in October. He finally broke down and told me that he flunked out of school but didn’t want to tell me because he thought I would leave him (because I was the smart honors student type). We discussed his lying and I told him I don’t approve of lies and to be honest. Today when discussing school he let it slip that he flunked out a semester earlier than he first said. It gets to the point where I wonder if was ever in school at all. He recently admitted to me that he has been hiding his anger at me for moving. He believes that I abandoned him and I should have stayed with him and waited to move because we were in love (even though we had only been officially dating one month). :sad: I was confused because I told him when he first met me I was moving and he showed no signs of being upset with me over the last six months. I try to be as supportive to him as possible but the last few months I have been holding inside my disappointment and frustration. Adding the fact that this is a long distance relationship makes everything worse.

We have discussed marriage in the distant future and I could see myself with him. It just stresses me out that he is not financially stable and independent. I am not a materialistic person but I am a very rational one. The fact that he has never supported himself, lied, and that he flunked out of school bother me. I don’t know what to think about the financial future.

Am I expecting too much at a young age?
How can I deal with these nagging uneasy feelings?

Nagging uneasy feeling? That's common sense telling you to run in the other direction. Staying with him is just going to result in a lot of resentment on both sides, so just cut him loose now.

i think at his age, if all this was happening i would a) give him the benefit of the doubt & b) take space from him to relieve him of any distractions keeping him from "getting his"

BUTTTT

he lied repeatedly. at this point, i would say just leave him all together.

my advice for you is: tell him you want to take a break. you both have a lot going on right now and you don't want to further damage your relationship with resentment & lies.

There's nothing to hang on to here and no reason to try to save anything considering how little time you've spent together and how you have no concrete future plans. Cut him loose.

Oh, as for his age? No excuse. My brother had a college degree at 23 and an entry-level job in his career field a few months before his 24th birthday. Don't accept low-quality men.

he did lie about simple things...so what would happen for more serious things...ask what are his plans for the future...maybe xplain your expectations

I always do a pro's and con's list. Based on the information that you have provided, he has a whole lotta things on the con's list and nothing on the pro's list. You are a good catch for him. Him for you, not so much. I know, I know, I know, you love him. Ok that and a quarter won't even get you a Pepsi.

Someone who lies:

- is not fully comfortable with who they are. If they accepted themselves, they wouldn't lie to themselves... and others.

- is not comfortable with you knowing who they really are, or want you to know who they really are. Lies are an indefinite barrier to intimacy.

- is ashamed of who they are and hides behind a mask.

- cannot sustain a good relationship and needs to grow to fully accept themselves and their flaws in confidence before ANYTHING else is possible.

Based on the continuous lies alone, I say leave him alone. Nobody has a reason to lie to me unless they fear the truth and the consequences of. Even if he's as sweet as pie, the more he gets away with lies about things he shouldn't even be lying about, the more likely he is to continue lying for the hell of it.

Someone who lies:

- is not fully comfortable with who they are. If they accepted themselves, they wouldn't lie to themselves... and others.

- is not comfortable with you knowing who they really are, or want you to know who they really are. Lies are an indefinite barrier to intimacy.

- is ashamed of who they are and hides behind a mask.

- cannot sustain a good relationship and needs to grow to fully accept themselves and their flaws in confidence before ANYTHING else is possible.

Based on the continuous lies alone, I say leave him alone. Nobody has a reason to lie to me unless they fear the truth and the consequences of. Even if he's as sweet as pie, the more he gets away with lies about things he shouldn't even be lying about, the more likely he is to continue lying for the hell of it.

The truth and nothing but.

I do not like that whole drip feed me information thing. I know what that is like and hopefully you'll reach a point I did, which was, "can I really live this way the rest of my life?". Can you imagine 20+ years of being drip fed information? It takes more than the actual "decision" to change certain behaviors and if someone has been doing said behavior for years, it could take years to change.

That whole behavior has nothing to do with you. Your wishing and hoping he may change will not do anything but waste a lot of wishing and hoping because the decision is ultimately up to him. All you should conclude from "that nagging uneasy feeling" is the "situatish" is not healthy, you do not have the same values if he lies to you and you value honesty and that ish may start rubbing off on you if you are not careful.

Last edited:
:blush:I love my boyfriend but I would like him to get his life together.

I am 22 years old and my bf is 23. We met online a year ago; it was the first time I ever considered anyone online. At the time I wasn’t looking for a relationship because I was a college senior with plans of relocating across the country after graduation. At the time he was ok with that. We continued as friends until June when we became a couple. I moved at the end of July. He has plans to move here out here with me, but get his own apartment because we don’t believe in living together before marriage. We have a lot in common, we have the same values, and he is easy to talk to. He loves me very much and I love him. :yep:

My stress comes from the fact that his life is not together. When we met he told me he was in college as well. He lives with his parents, something I am not thrilled about but dealt with because he was in college (I think it bothered me because I have been on my own since after high school). He was laid off from his job last December and unemployed from last January to August. During that period he had no cell phone and I was forced to talk to him on his parents’ phone. He drives an unsafe, beat up vehicle (which I personally refuse to ride in, so I drive whenever we go out) the doors are secured with bungee cords.:nono: His current job is not that lucrative so he has not been able to visit me in the six months I have been here. I have had to fund my own trips home to see him. After months of things not adding up, I confronted him in October. He finally broke down and told me that he flunked out of school but didn’t want to tell me because he thought I would leave him (because I was the smart honors student type). We discussed his lying and I told him I don’t approve of lies and to be honest. Today when discussing school he let it slip that he flunked out a semester earlier than he first said. It gets to the point where I wonder if was ever in school at all. He recently admitted to me that he has been hiding his anger at me for moving. He believes that I abandoned him and I should have stayed with him and waited to move because we were in love (even though we had only been officially dating one month). I was confused because I told him when he first met me I was moving and he showed no signs of being upset with me over the last six months. I try to be as supportive to him as possible but the last few months I have been holding inside my disappointment and frustration. Adding the fact that this is a long distance relationship makes everything worse.

We have discussed marriage in the distant future and I could see myself with him. It just stresses me out that he is not financially stable and independent. I am not a materialistic person but I am a very rational one. The fact that he has never supported himself, lied, and that he flunked out of school bother me. I don’t know what to think about the financial future.

Am I expecting too much at a young age?
How can I deal with these nagging uneasy feelings?

:nono::nono::nono: I know its a recession but, really? On the path you are going you are going to end up taking care of him. Can you depend on a man like this if you had kids together, a home, bills, responsibilities? And then to add insult to injury, he lies:ohwell:

Back