long 4b hair giving braiders hard time

Innocent_Kiss

I'm getting my kinky twist redone and the last time the braiders were very agitated with my strands so I had to repeatedly tell them to be gentile with my hair and demand that they use a wide tooth comb versus rat tail combs to detangle. What should I do to make my hair manageable for them? Should I stretch it, straighten it? What?

I always detangle my hair prior to getting my hair braided. I also spray a detangler into my hair to make it easier to get a comb through.

They were agitated?:confused: :eek: :perplexed It sounds like you need a new stylist. You shouldn't have even had to tell them to be gentle one time, let alone repeatedly. What you could do is wash, condition, and detangle at home and do about 8-16 plaits all around your head. That way your hair wouldnt be that bad.

hersheyskiss said:
They were agitated?:confused: :eek: :perplexed It sounds like you need a new stylist. You shouldn't have even had to tell them to be gentle one time, let alone repeatedly. What you could do is wash, condition, and detangle at home and do about 8-16 plaits all around your head. That way your hair wouldnt be that bad.

i agree......

In this situation you

1. Find a new stylist
  2. Find a good detangler for your hair and detangle before you go
  3. Bring your own wide tooth comb to your appointments

i got my hair braided two days ago and put Ojon on it prior to getting it braided and then right after the lady who braids my hair washed it. each time we use it, we are both amazed by how easy my super thick, coarse hair is to comb. Ojon is kind of oily, but not greasy. It has a similar consistency to shea butter, but isn't as thick. hth

it will be hard to find braiders who will not be agitated at all your requests....trust me, i know

but when you go, you should have your hair washed, deep conditioned, and detangled....keep your hair in plaits..and you might want to run a blow dryer through it very lightly so that you hair can glide through the comb.....oh yeah, bring your own tools!!!

HTH

Can they braid your hair slightly damp with a leave-in?

I don't like braiding bone dry hair and almost always wash/deep condition/detange/apply leave-in PRIOR to braiding hair. The only exception is if the client recently washed and conditioned. Then I'll just mist the hair and massage in a good leave-in.

Braiding on freshly blowdried hair is convenient, but just seems like a harsh condition to add hair on top of AND take the strands through the manipulation that comes with braids. Other than parting, the rattail comb has to go.

hth,
p1

oh yeah, consider self-braiding. :)

Back