Long 4a coily naturals

Status
Not open for further replies.

La Colocha

Are there any women here with long 4a coily hair, I have yet to see any. Are there any here? If you can please post a pic for inspiration. Thanks

Not sure if I qualify :look: (eveybody's idea of hair types seems different--to me 3c & 4a are the same thing), but here it goes:

traighteningmyhairApril2009002-vi.jpg

April2009017-vi.jpg

BraidoutMarch2009036-vi.jpg

traighteningmyhairApril2009009-vi.jpg

Not sure if I qualify :look: (eveybody's idea of hair types seems different--to me 3c & 4a are the same thing), but here it goes:

April2009017-vi.jpg

Oh great gracious can I have your hair!!!!! It is BEAUTIFUL! Completely :drool:. Did your hair grow out then down? What is your regi? It is genuinely gorgeous SEMO. It really is. Did you find that your hair's weight caused the curls to look looser? Sorry for all the questions, but this is my hair dream, and we look to have the same type, so I'm going to be stalking you for some time! Apologizing in advance...:lachen:

April2009017-vi.jpg

How beautiful semo, thank you. You qualify girl. Can i please ask when your hair started growing longer did your coils get looser or did they just grow longer and stay the same?

Ooooo Neith, Semo might be your hair twin. Y'alls hair looks similar.

ETA: Neith did you post somewhere that you mix henna powder (or some ayurvedic powder) with warmed up coconut oil? If you did, can you give me more info please.

April2009017-vi.jpg

Your hair is gorgeous! :trampolin

Ooooo Neith, Semo might be your hair twin. Y'alls hair looks similar.

ETA: Neith did you post somewhere that you mix henna powder (or some ayurvedic powder) with warmed up coconut oil? If you did, can you give me more info please.

I see some similarities in there, but naw. We just hair cousins I think :lol:

That wasn't me. Sounds yummy though :)

Your hair is gorgeous! :trampolin

I see some similarities in there, but naw. We just hair cousins I think :lol:

That wasn't me. Sounds yummy though :)

Your hair looks like a kinky version of hers, if that makes sense.

Anyway, I wonder who it was that posted that. Now I'm going to have to search for it and I know it was in a really random thread. I knew I should have bookmarked it.

Not sure if I qualify :look: (eveybody's idea of hair types seems different--to me 3c & 4a are the same thing)

IA, to an extent. 3c and 4a are veeeeerrrrrrrry similar.

I have 3c up front and up top... I call it my canopy. The back/nape is 4a. The curls/clumps are pretty much the same size... but the 3c is slighly looser, less of a tight coil and more of an S-wave. That's the only difference I notice (other than the 3c being dryer), my hair overall responds the same to products. If I use my Denman, it all looks the same because the 3c areas will turn into spiral curls.

I see a lot of 4a, especially in the pics of the back of your hair. :yep: But, I see some 3c parts too. I think we have similar hair actually.

In any case, OP - if you take into account my 4a hair in the back/nape, I qualify and you can see my pics in my Fotki. ;)

:blush3:
Oh great gracious can I have your hair!!!!! It is BEAUTIFUL! Completely :drool:. Did your hair grow out then down? What is your regi? It is genuinely gorgeous SEMO. It really is. Did you find that your hair's weight caused the curls to look looser? Sorry for all the questions, but this is my hair dream, and we look to have the same type, so I'm going to be stalking you for some time! Apologizing in advance...:lachen:

Thanks for the compliments. My hair does grow kinda out, then down. The best I can describe it is that my hair grows at a 45 degree angle. And I do think that the longer my hair gets the looser some of the curls are. But it's hard to tell if it's the added weight, different hair textures, my improved technique/products, etc.

This is a pic from right after I big chopped:
Morepicshairalso004a-vi.jpg

And I would love any visits you made to my fotki. I find it highly flattering when people consider my hair something to aspire to. :)

Last edited:
How beautiful semo, thank you. You qualify girl. Can i please ask when your hair started growing longer did your coils get looser or did they just grow longer and stay the same?

I have 3c up front and up top... I call it my canopy. The back/nape is 4a. The curls/clumps are pretty much the same size... but the 3c is slighly looser, less of a tight coil and more of an S-wave. That's the only difference I notice (other than the 3c being dryer), my hair overall responds the same to products. If I use my Denman, it all looks the same because the 3c areas will turn into spiral curls.

I see a lot of 4a, especially in the pics of the back of your hair. :yep: But, I see some 3c parts too. I think we have similar hair actually.

In any case, OP - if you take into account my 4a hair in the back/nape, I qualify and you can see my pics in my Fotki. ;)

I was thinking about your question La Colocha as I was reading ladylibra's answer and I think I just had an epiphany. 3c & 4a hair do look very similar but the difference is my 3c portion (around my crown) can be manipulated into waves or big curls, while the 4a part will only be curly (with medium sized curls).

And to get back to your question La Colocha: my 3c sections of hair have gotten looser as my hair has gotten longer (and more weighted down), but the 4a parts still look mostly the same.

ETA:
For example, when I was shingling my hair I noticed that the underside of my hair is mostly 4a (as shown below).
shinglingbeforeandafter015-vi.jpg

But the top/crown layer of my hair (which is the most visible when down) hangs down longer and looser. And it can be maniuplated into waves/big curls, while the underside of my hair cannot be.
shinglingbeforeandafter030-vi.jpg

This old pic (below) highlights the wavy section 3c of my hair compared to the 4a curly section really well:
IMG00105-vi.jpg

Last edited:

Beautiful hair and thank you for coming in. You ladies are very inspiring.

I was thinking about your question La Colocha as I was reading ladylibra's answer and I think I just had an epiphany. 3c & 4a hair do look very similar but the difference is my 3c portion (around my crown) can be manipulated into waves or curls, while the 4a part will only be curly.

And to get back to your question La Colocha: my 3c sections of hair have gotten looser as my hair has gotten longer (and more weighted down), but the 4a parts still look mostly the same.

wow thats so true, i think you all got it, sometimes i can get my hair to look 4a depending on my i do. but i can easily just the same get it to wave. plus 3c hangs differently as it grows longer. it usually will s wave downward with no manipulation, no product.

Last edited:
I'm going to go ahead and add two pics even though obviously there are people on this board with much longer hair. The first pic is a texture shot. My hair is slightly damp with nothing in it. This is the underside of my hair which is supercoily. I have seen some strands where the coil is barely wider that the tooth of a pick, super tight. In addition to being super coily, it's very fine and very frizzy. The second pic is my update claiming MBL from this June. So get excited ladies it can and will happen.

Attachments

• IMG_0006.jpg
    IMG_0006.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 336
  • length check 6.15.09.jpg
    length check 6.15.09.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 334

I've been thinking about buying another denman because my comb destroys my coils.

When I tried in texlaxed hair, the denman ripped my hair out. I wish I had never thrown it away, now I want to try again. Maybe my hair is stronger and it won't get ripped out.

I agree about 3c and 4a being very similar :yep: Firstly because so many have both in their head. There is a big overlap too where you wonder if it's loose 4a or tight 3c. Plus even when people have the same curl diameter, their texture can STILL be very different. It's not all in the curl size :)

Last edited:
I'm going to go ahead and add two pics even though obviously there are people on this board with much longer hair. The first pic is a texture shot. My hair is slightly damp with nothing in it. This is the underside of my hair which is supercoily. I have seen some strands where the coil is barely wider that the tooth of a pick, super tight. In addition to being super coily, it's very fine and very frizzy. The second pic is my update claiming MBL from this June. So get excited ladies it can and will happen.
Don't be too modest. Your hair looks fabulous and you have awesome length. You were talking like you were ear length.

I've been thinking about buying another denman because my comb destroys my coils.

When I tried in texlaxed hair, the denman ripped my hair out. I wish I had never thrown it away, now I want to try again. Maybe my hair is stronger and it won't get ripped out.

I agree about 3c and 4a being very similar :yep: Firstly because so many have both in their head. There is a big overlap too where you wonder if it's loose 4a or tight 3c. Plus even when people have the same curl diameter, there texture can STILL be very different. It's not all in the curl size :)

Very true. :yep: I have noticed this too.

So pretty dee, thank you.

Don't be too modest. Your hair looks fabulous and you have awesome length. You were talking like you were ear length.

Ya, it's a curse of having Latina friends as a child. I've always wanted hip length hair, so I've always felt like I've had short hair even at APL. MBL is like medium length in my mind.

Semo, your curls are absolutely beautiful. I've been admiring them for years now, how time flies. Do you do something to get them to pop? Like I said my hair is really frizzy so there is only so much curl definition I'm going to get, but if you have any suggestions that would be great.

Last edited:
I really needed this thread! I was getting fearful of ever BCing b/c I had no concept of how my curls would look. (not that I am BCing anytime soon!)

Girl please, your hair is on the longer side, and is gorgeous. I am officially a new stalker. :grin:

I agree about 3c and 4a being very similar :yep: Firstly because so many have both in their head. There is a big overlap too where you wonder if it's loose 4a or tight 3c. Plus even when people have the same curl diameter, their texture can STILL be very different. It's not all in the curl size :)

Amen to that!!! :yep:

Ya, it's a curse of having Latina friends as a child. I've always wanted hip length hair, so I've always felt like I've had short hair even at APL. MBL is like medium length in my mind.

Semo, your curls are absolutely beautiful. I've been admiring them for years now, how time flies. Do you do something to get them to pop? Like I said my hair is really frizzy so there is only so much curl definition I'm going to get, but if you have any suggestions that would be great.

Thanks so much for the compliment. To get my curls to pop I only detangle/comb/brush my hair when it's soaking wet. Any excess manipulation while it's drying = frizziness. Also my curls pop and form more when I use my Denman brush (vs. only using my Jilbere shower comb).

As far as products that help I like using Texture My Way Curl Keeper, Garnier Fructis Curl & Shine shampoo for what ever reason makes my hair curlier.

denmanbrush-th.jpg

jilbereshowercomb-th.jpg

CurlKeeper-th.jpg

images

Thank you OP and all the ladies that posted pics or links to their fotkis.

This is exactly the type of inspiration I needed. I've been wondering what my hair was going to look as it grew and even though its been barely a month since I BCd I can tell its definitely growing out and not down at least that is true in the nape. My 3C part (more S shape curl) is the crown forward and the very front is where most of my fine hair lives which is the frizzy part of my hair. I have a better understanding of my hair just from reading all the and looking at the pics. Now if I could just get that front part to behave and stop looking so wild all the time it would be great:lachen::lachen:. I know its a losing battle and will embrace it as is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back