Little White Girl Puts Water on My Cuz's freshly Blown Out Hair because it was Unruly

Re: Little White Girl Puts Water on My Cuz's freshly Blown Out Hair because it was Un

My first thought was, why was the little girl putting water on hair in the middle of class? The story made it sound like she was in a classroom bc all the kids started laughing and so on. Where was the teacher in all of this?

I don't know about anyone else, but I knew early on that I couldn't do things that make me prone to reversion way earlier than 8 years old. I learned to avoid them at all costs because my mom would be pissed and I was extremely tender headed so I hated having to sit there and get the old press n' curl. You can't take long baths or showers, wear a rain scarf and have an umbrella, you wear a cap when you go swimming, etc. Shoot sometimes I used to hide my moms keys so she couldn't take me to my hairdresser appointments on time and we'd have to wait until the week after. It just doesn't make sense that she would just sit there and be like okay.

Re: Little White Girl Puts Water on My Cuz's freshly Blown Out Hair because it was Un

when i was little and in school we were taught to keep our hands to ourselves. no exceptions. and that was 1980 something?

Working at a school, I see little girls playing in each other's hair ALL THE TIME. I am assuming that the girls were in the restroom. I'm wondering if the white child was playing in the black girl's hair and the black girl had no problem with it. I wonder if the black girl realized that water would revert her hair--probably not. I'm really leaning toward the side that the white girl did not mean any harm.

IF that was the case, why would the girl's mother even suggest that the white girl's mother pay? If they were just playing, then why would the principal and other parents even be involved?

Because they saw how pissed the black mother was and got scared of a "race" incident at their school? I can understand the black mother's anger...she wasted 50 bucks...but...????

putting water in someone's hair is "redneck-ish" and not having $50 for it is "redneck-ish"? No offense, but that "assessment" is just as ignorant as this whole situation. There are lots of people who don't have money to spend on something so that makes them a redneck too? Boy some people.

And I take total offense to that b/c I am from a mixed background. So let me guess, me mentioning this is "redneck-ish" too?

Is you mentioning this "redneck-ish"? No.

Call it what you want. I picture Rednecks in this situation. Kids cost money. When they ufkc up you have to pay. Pay what you owe If it makes you feel better, if they were Black, I'd call them "hood".

Your little cousin is good. At eight years old I would've punched that little girl in the face. That's what my parents would have been called to the school for. Both of us would have been suspended.

I was thinking the same thing. At 8, I would have fought her. No joke. You put your hands on me, all etiquette is cancelled.

I agree with Volver_Alma_Gitana. Children play together and they play hairdresser. I remember letting my little Asian friend curl my natural hair with a curling iron and put hair spray it. :lachen::lachen: I don't see the sense of spending $50 dollars on a natural Haired child's hair for a blow out and flat iron, if they are not going to a special event ( provided that the child is in 3rd grade or lower).

Is you mentioning this "redneck-ish"? No.

Call it what you want. I picture Rednecks in this situation. Kids cost money. When they ufkc up you have to pay. Pay what you owe If it makes you feel better, if they were Black, I'd call them "hood".
:lachen::lachen::rofl::rofl::rofl:

ETA: I guess that was correct. I had to read it over. First time I read it like "is you going to the store" kinda. I'm trippin I need to go study.

Last edited:

If it was random, and the younger cousin wasnt expecting anything to touch her head, then the girls parents should pay. Because if this is the cousins first time getting her hair blew out, then im sure the kids see it curly or textured most of the time...why not pour water on her hair the other times? Im sure the little white girl could reason if her hair were dramatically different or new like she got her hair curled with an iron, that water would ruin it. Im sure the ittle girl could reason she wouldnt jump in a pool or get her hair wet in the shower when she just got it done in a new style.

Your cousins should explain to the girls parents that their daughter has really curly hair, and she had her first salon visit to straighten it, that cost $50, and yes,, they do need that money back. Its not about if YOU have the money to pay for "hair". Thats not an outlandish price, they need to be glad it wasnt a BKT treatment or something. I would ask them how much they think is a good price to pay then, if $50 seems like too much for them, or if they just dont want to pay.

I'm sorry this happened and I'm sure the girls mom can get 50 or at least some amount but I wouldn't suggest the amount go to getting it redone I mean at 8 no little girl I know is going to keep a flat ironed look unless it was braided or something afterward. Now for the other part... Considering it's school it had to happen in the restroom/water fountain/classroom sink... When I first started kindergarten I knew not to let anyone put anything in my hair so unless the girl spilled the water or just threw it on her I don't get why she'd just stand there and let it happen unless it wasn't explained that no one has any business touching your hair. I hope the child is okay after that embarrassing situation and I don't think the fact the girl was white really has anything to do with the situation besides working to the other girls benefit because it wasn't likely she was aware of what would occur. If it were me I'd chuck it up to an unfortunate situation all the way around, never send my daughter to school with flat ironed hair until she's high school age or does it herself with exceptions for picture day.

I doubt the girl got a bucket of water and threw it on the other child or sneak attacked her. She had to stand or sit there and let the other child mess with her hair.

She also holds some responsibility. She probably didn't know herself what water would do to her hair.

People's expectations are too high!

This child probably still believes in Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy, and the Easter Bunny.
Let's get some perspective.

Most white adults don't understand reversion. Why do we expect an 8 year old child to?

This is a learning experience for both girls and should be treated as such.

When did I say that? She put enough water on her hair for it to revert. That's all I need to know.:yep: The argument that the child should have done something to prevent the other child from putting water in her hair is what is unsuitable to me. What is it a learning experience of? That sometimes people don't understand about cultural differences and we should be on guard to educate them so as to make sure we are not affected by others' actions?Yes she can speak up,but what exactly can she learn that would make it different in the future?
If she would have pushed her back or smacked her hand away,I am positive some people in here would find a way to blame her for it still.*shrugs*
I don't fault the child at all.

EDIT: And for the record,I don't recall typing anythinmg about sending the child that did it to the guillotines,but she needs to learn something from this incident. Now it's up to her parents to use this time to teach her that people are different outside of each family.Since the little girl doesn't come to school with a blowout everyday,obviously something was different about her hair.If you don't know about it,leave it be.

Last edited:

My gut reaction was to assume this incident didn't happen out of mis-informed good intentions (and I also assumed the little girl did it without the knowledge or consent of CG's cousin). But I guess I shouldn't assume things without all the facts.

Plus, some others posters have made good points. I forgot how little girls play in each others hair at that age (more than one ponytail holder had to be cut out of my hair sometimes after my cousin's "styling" my hair). I really do hope it was just an "oops" situation, but still feel bad that her cousin got laughed at. That will probably stick with her for awhile.

:lachen::lachen::rofl::rofl::rofl:

ETA: I guess that was correct. I had to read it over. First time I read it like "is you going to the store" kinda. I'm trippin I need to go study.

LMAO! I missed what you originally said. Nah....I wouldn't take it that hood.

It feels like you guys are imagining a scenario that starts with the little black girl sitting in the classroom, innocently working on a way to make matter out of nothing. Then the wicked white girl jumps down from the ceiling with a bucket of scalding hot water, throws it all over the black girl, cackles madly, and then incites the rest of the class to call the little black girl "Aunt Jemima".

But I'm thinking that's not what happened. I'm imagining that they were in the bathroom, and the little black girl had some hairs sticking up. Trying to help, the white girl puts some water in her hands and smooths the hairs down, which causes reversion, then the teasing and the crying, so on and so forth.
We don't have all the details, so of course, we can't know for sure. But I feel like there was a certain level of consent on the country's cousin's part, so she is at fault as well.

As far as I'm concerned, the little white girl was wrong to put her hands on country's cousin, not because she is white, but because point blank, you're supposed to keep your hands to yourself. All this calling the girl racist, redneck, jealous, etc. is so crazy to me. This is a child. Yes, there are child racists, but it doesn't sound like this little girl is one of them. It sounds like she was just ignorant about how water affects black hair, which is not hard to believe, given that many ADULTS (both black and white) don't understand how black hair works. I don't get why people immediately think the worst about all interactions between white and black people. Not every white person is racist; not every white person is looking to "take black people down a peg"...some white people don't even care that you're black. Why so paranoid, LHCF?

I doubt the girl got a bucket of water and threw it on the other child or sneak attacked her. She had to stand or sit there and let the other child mess with her hair.

She also holds some responsibility. She probably didn't know herself what water would do to her hair.

People's expectations are too high!

This child probably still believes in Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy, and the Easter Bunny.
Let's get some perspective.

Most white adults don't understand reversion. Why do we expect an 8 year old child to?

This is a learning experience for both girls and should be treated as such.

How do you know this? Did CG post it somewhere? How do we know it wasn't a sneak attack from behind? I doubt this little girl consented to having water tossed on her. It's not her fault, in the least IMO.

And if this was the first time she came to class with straight hair, why would the other little girl think it was okay to mess with it? I'm assuming CG's cousin came to class with typical little black girl hair styles, so it's not as if ole girl didn't know what her hair looked like.

I find it odd that this is the first time this has happened. Her straightened hair is "unruly," but her hair in its natural state isn't? Something is up, and I think it might be jealousy.

I'm on the little white girls side. I didn't think of any ill-intent when I 1st read the OP. Except for the name calling of course. However, I could be wrong.

I also wanted to say that I think it's ridiculous to spend $50 on an 8 yr olds hair...for any occasion at all. I would probably laugh in the persons face if they said that their 8 yr olds hair was $50 and EYE had to pay for it...cause of some water on some hair? Fifty dollars? Eight years on Earth? Please...spare me.

when i was little and in school we were taught to keep our hands to ourselves. no exceptions. and that was 1980 something?

Any unwanted touch is assault. In court, if you assault someone, then you have to pay for the damages. In my opinion, the white girl’s parents should pay for their child messing up the black girl’s hair. If I had a child that messed up the black girl’s hair, then I would have paid for the damages my child caused. The reason why the child messed up the girl’s hair does not matter. Every eight year old should have already learned at school that there are consequences for their bad behavior. At eight years old, a child should have already learned the basic classroom rule that is to keep your hands to yourself. The class needs a lesson on diversity. The children that made mean comments toward the black girl about her hair should apologize to her in front of the class. Every child has a right to learn in a safe and positive environment. I am happy that the stylist fixed your cousin daughter's hair for free. I hope this situation will be a great learning experience for all of the students in the classroom.

Last edited:

Lmao @ folks acting like the girl is getting a fresh wash n set w/ a crimp and side swoop every two weeks. Lol! @ robot, I too wanted to know if she has ever did the water thing when the girl's hair was in its natural state. However,I see where this is going and I'm out.

I'm sorry but 1st of all, who told this little girl ur cousin's hair was unruly? And who gave her the right to touch or change someone else's style. I'm sorry that sounds a lil suspect to me.

I hate to say it but i'm wondering what types of conversations are occuring in this white little girl's house. for them to come up with something like "Aunt Jemima" makes me think some conversations may occur for this child to think its ok. If that was my child saying such hurtful things to another My child would be in trouble because that is NOT the way I would want to raise my children.

Just my opinion

Lmao @ folks acting like the girl is getting a fresh wash n set w/ a crimp and side swoop every two weeks. Lol! @ robot, I too wanted to know if she has ever did the water thing when the girl's hair was in its natural state. However,I see where this is going and I'm out.

In my opinion, I think the white girl put water on the black girl’s hair because she was jealous. I do not know the white girl or her family, so I am just making an assumption based on what I know about human nature. I could be wrong about my assumption, but the white girl’s behavior and explanation was odd to me. I wonder where the white girl got the water. I also wonder why the white girl thought the black girl’s hair was unruly. I wonder why the white girl thought she had to fix the black girl’s hair. I attended public schools with a diverse population. My white classmates never wanted to put water on my hair. They touched my hair and gave me compliments about my hair. They never tried to fix my hair, but they did ask me why my hair was styled differently from their hair.

Last edited:

It feels like you guys are imagining a scenario that starts with the little black girl sitting in the classroom, innocently working on a way to make matter out of nothing. Then the wicked white girl jumps down from the ceiling with a bucket of scalding hot water, throws it all over the black girl, cackles madly, and then incites the rest of the class to call the little black girl "Aunt Jemima".

But I'm thinking that's not what happened. I'm imagining that they were in the bathroom, and the little black girl had some hairs sticking up. Trying to help, the white girl puts some water in her hands and smooths the hairs down, which causes reversion, then the teasing and the crying, so on and so forth.
We don't have all the details, so of course, we can't know for sure. But I feel like there was a certain level of consent on the country's cousin's part, so she is at fault as well.

As far as I'm concerned, the little white girl was wrong to put her hands on country's cousin, not because she is white, but because point blank, you're supposed to keep your hands to yourself. All this calling the girl racist, redneck, jealous, etc. is so crazy to me. This is a child. Yes, there are child racists, but it doesn't sound like this little girl is one of them. It sounds like she was just ignorant about how water affects black hair, which is not hard to believe, given that many ADULTS (both black and white) don't understand how black hair works. I don't get why people immediately think the worst about all interactions between white and black people. Not every white person is racist; not every white person is looking to "take black people down a peg"...some white people don't even care that you're black. Why so paranoid, LHCF?

Amen. These are CHILDREN. I have an 11 year old son that does DUMB A$$ things with his little 11 year old friends out of pure childish ignorance. And he's ELEVEN.

And don't let these lil kids fool ya....i have a 10 yr old cousin that has a grown mind and i encounter a LOT of 8 yr olds that are more "advanced" in the mind than we were back when we were 8.

I completely agree with this. I just think that this behavior is perhaps excusable due to youthful ignorance for ages 6 and below. I can see a kindergartner or a 1st grader doing this but I know things completely changed when my classmates and I moved to 2nd grade because that's typically when you're really starting to mix in with 5th and 6th graders. I know in 3rd grade we were talking about sex (not maturely of course) and I think that 8 years old is just too old for this behavior. And these are girls, not boys (we know they tend to mature a little slower). 8 years old is old enough to know that you should not have your hands in someone else's head. Regardless of her intent, I think she should already have known this wasn't the right thing to do, and if not, then she sure deserves to be taught now.

so much paranoia running up and through this thread..

I agree. Unless she shoved the child's head under a faucet, I really think people are overreacting a bit.

:yep: I think people are overreacting A LOT.

Talking about "water being poured over" the girl, redneck families, maliciousness, wanting to bring the child down a peg and whatnot. Pullease. Nothing in the OP's story says maliciousness. It's like people jump to conclusions and assume the worst unless proven otherwise. What a way to go through the world. You must be looking over your shoulder all paranoid and ish all the time. :drunk: Why not remain neutral until proven otherwise? THEN you can get up in arms, with good reason.

this kind of stuff pisses me off, let it happen to some of the little ones in my family.
:gunner7:

but sorry this happen to your family sweetie,hopefully everything gets settled.

*repeatedly clicks 'thanks' and 'like' buttons*
:lachen:this post had me choking and spitting tea everywhere!:lachen:

*repeatedly clicks 'thanks' and 'like' buttons*
:lachen:this post had me choking and spitting tea everywhere!:lachen:

I concur! Lol. I burst out laughing when I read this. I don't think it's fair to call someone racist when you have no idea who she is and weren't even there. Regardless of race, the behavior itself at that age is unacceptable to me. If this was titled "Little Black Girl Puts Water on My Cuz's Hair," I'd still feel the same way.

The white girl may not have known the difference between permed hair and natural pressed hair, and the way they behave differently. She may have even done it before on another black girl's hair and it didn't revert because it was permanent. Not to excuse her behavior, but her intentions and frame of reference may have been innocent. I know I had white girls saying mad dumb things to me about my hair when I was that age. They were clueless.

Are ya'll for serious though?:lol:
I get it, you mad. I would be too.
But damn, even OP said herself that the little girl wasn't being malicious. Plus her lil' cousin got her hair done over... FOR FREE. She gon' be alright. :lol:
I'm mad that the kids are still using Aunt Jemima as an insult. Nobody to blame for that but their ignorant arse parents though. How else would they know to use it in such a derogatory context?:look:

Back