Lisa Akbari's Transition - Update

Her hair doesn't even look relaxed in my opinion. I'm not relaxed bone straight at all and my air dried hair comes out less fluffy than hers.

Her hair doesn't even look relaxed in my opinion. I'm not relaxed bone straight at all and my air dried hair comes out less fluffy than hers.

One thing I do find with her videos... and this might seem weird.... is that her voice is so soothing LOL :lachen: I could listen to her talk all day.

Thanks for the vid! :up:

Very interesting. I never knew she had videos on YT. I enjoyed reading her book, but I didn't know she had videos.

Her hair didn't look unhealthy to me, but idk....maybe that's just me. I just find it funny that NOW she's planning on transitioning to natural. In her book she was always talking about how she would stretch for long periods of time, but that at the end she always preferred to have a relaxer in her hair. NOW it looks like she is starting to sing a completely different tune! LOL! :lol:

hahahaha this is such a marketing scheme. I didn't finish the video the first time, but now I see it's about selling her products so that people can successfully transition lol

When were those books written? I thought she was natural and she had her first relaxer in December

Her hair looks okay to me. Not :thud: but certainly not bad. I also think she's texlaxed, because the hair still has alot of texture, the line of demarcation isn't highly visible. Not giving her a medal, she's somewhat implying you need her products. But, she gives some good tips/techniques as well. So, if her videos help folks transition easier then kudos to her.

I read her book. It was a good, quick read and I picked up some tips on stretching. I think it ends there for me though- I am not a fan of following anyone on Youtube.

hahahaha this is such a marketing scheme. I didn't finish the video the first time, but now I see it's about selling her products so that people can successfully transition lol

When were those books written? I thought she was natural and she had her first relaxer in December

No, she definitely hasn't been a natural her whole life. I know that for sure due to reading one of her books. She may have transitioned to being natural for a while (after she published her 1st book), and then decided to relax ONCE again back in Dec. of 2009 in order to help newly-transitioning women with some tips, guides, etc. But Lisa has been relaxed before in the past. :yep:

Here is one of her books that I personally own. Her tips in this book really helped me when I FIRST started my hair journey back in 2004 (a little while before I found this site) and I was learning for the first time about healthy hair and "stretching relaxers". But that's basically it. Here are some other books she's put out as well.

I had no idea Lisa had relaxed hair in the past. I always assumed she was natural her whole life.

I'm not knocking her hustle. I think that its nice that she's putting a video on how to help people. I personally would not buy her products (no particular reason, just don't want to spend all kinds of money) but more power to her. But like somebody else said here, maybe she just needs a trim.

She's 18 weeks post, so that may be why her ends don't look that full.

I installed a set of box braids in March at 8 weeks post and wore them for a month. When I removed the braids and airdried, I thought I had suffered a MAJOR setback. I was like, "Where are my ends!?" and I started to mentally prepare myself for a cut.

I straightened my hair for my touch up at 14 weeks and I was surprised to see that my ends were a lot better than I thought. Then, when I was relaxed, my ends were even fuller and I only needed my usual trim, not a cut like I assumed.

I guess this was a long-winded way to say that sometimes, new-growth draws the ends up and makes them look thin.

I don't think Lisa's hair looks that bad.

You really couldn't see my line of demarcation either. Not until it got really long, and there was a definite difference between wave and straight.

I watched the entire video and personally I like her. Her voice is soothing :lol: atleast to me and if she's actually helping people to transition and they're getting something from it, that's pretty cool.

lol @ 18 weeks I was far from silky and fly.... so uhh.... yeah. :look:

I liked her hair better natural.:nono: I hate how relaxed hair looks on her. I really applaud her for her transition method. Her voice is soothing! I was nodding off at the computer.:blush::grin:

Thanks for the vid! :up:

Very interesting. I never knew she had videos on YT. I enjoyed reading her book, but I didn't know she had videos.

Her hair didn't look unhealthy to me, but idk....maybe that's just me. I just find it funny that NOW she's planning on transitioning to natural. In her book she was always talking about how she would stretch for long periods of time, but that at the end she always preferred to have a relaxer in her hair. NOW it looks like she is starting to sing a completely different tune! LOL! :lol:

Akbari was natural for quite a while. She relaxed her hair (supposedly) 18 weeks ago to teach people how to transition from relaxed to natural. The initial video in the series was quite a trainwreck!

I remember when I had my hair analyzed by her back around 1993, she had a texturizer in her hair. She told me so because I told her I was thinking about getting my first relaxer, and she was explaining how her products worked for all hair types. Her hair was really pretty and loosely curled, styled in a short bob :yep:

I remember when I had my hair analyzed by her back around 1993, she had a texturizer in her hair. She told me so because I told her I was thinking about getting my first relaxer, and she was explaining how her products worked for all hair types. Her hair was really pretty and loosely curled, styled in a short bob :yep:

I posted a/b this before. It bugged me that she claimed to be natural when in person, it was evident that she was texturized.

Back