LHCF tips and or advice that has actualy he;ped your hair

IMFOCSD

I was wondering what tips and/or advice from LHCF has really hellped your hair. For me I would say: Co washes, stretching relaxers, no combing except when hair is wet with conditioner in it and moisturizing daily. These are all the things I never did before I discovered LHCF. I don't deep condition that often maybe because I don't see how that really helps your hair. Why is deep conditioning so important to maintain healthy hair? and are co washes considered deep conditioning:confused:

When I first joine the board, I only read the Feature of the Month section. I noticed a lot of Features of the Month did not use heat. It took me one year to figure out how to manage my hair without heat. It all came down to proper conditioning. Conditioning replenishes moisture and oils that coat and protect the hair. Hair is like petals of a flower. Dry petals break and disintegrate with the slightest touch. Whereas nourished moisturized petals are supple and beautiful. Even skin is similar. Moisture and Oils are lost via chemical treatment, heat, the environment ocean water, the hot sun, cold witner air, etc; Hope this helps you.

Thanks you bajanplums1 for your response, I forgot to put that on my list no heat and yes your comments are helpful. I am still searching for the right moisturizers and conditioners. Seems like it is taking forever to find the right regimen, but I am not going to give up.

Moisturizing has been the number one thing that has helped my hair. I never daily moisturized before and my hair suffered. I love the progress my hair has made because of this.

KEWLKAT103 said:
Moisturizing has been the number one thing that has helped my hair. I never daily moisturized before and my hair suffered. I love the progress my hair has made because of this.

I second that!

STRECHING!!!:eek:

Never did it dawn on me that my lack of hair growth progress had ANYTHING to do with the frequency in which I relaxed. I would have NG after about 6-8 weeks and relax immediatly... However the length stayed the same over years... Only when I started streching did I begin to retain actual growth!!

PLUS I save $$$ doing so too!!!

CW (more like, rinsing and reconditioning, not washing with conditioner)
Buns (helped me get through my transition)
Moisturizing my hair, not greasing my scalp (I love olive butter!)

Definately moisterising and moistering my ends. I never did really moisterise my ends and i suffered from breakage, and not actually knowing that it was breaking because i wasn't moisterising.

It was horrible, just hair all over my back and the floor, there would also be bits wherever i went.
Now i get no breakage, it's wonderful.

sweetcoco said:
I was wondering what tips and/or advice from LHCF has really hellped your hair. For me I would say: Co washes, stretching relaxers, no combing except when hair is wet with conditioner in it and moisturizing daily. These are all the things I never did before I discovered LHCF. I don't deep condition that often maybe because I don't see how that really helps your hair. Why is deep conditioning so important to maintain healthy hair? and are co washes considered deep conditioning:confused:

Let's see, stretching, product recommendations, and protective styles are the things that have helped me so far.

No, co washes aren't considered deep conditioning. You have to use a conditioner that is made to deep condition, and either condition with heat or condition for a long period of time. Deep conditioning is important because it restores the innermost layers of your hair with protein and moisture. Otherwise, you are just laying conditioner on top of your hair, and this may improve the hair temporarily but there will be no lasting effect, especially if any problems you are having are with the inner core of your hair (I think it is called the cortex and medulla). I would encourage you to deep condition once a week, especially if you have a relaxer.:)

I am very late but CAPlush thanks for straightening that out for me (deep Conditioning) you really broke it down. I guess I will start deep conditioning. I have a couple of questions first: 1) Do you really have to get under the dryer to deep condition or can I just keep the condiyioner on my hair for about a hour or so without heat? 2.) What good deep conditioner can I use for extremely dry hair?

sweetcoco said:
I am very late but CAPlush thanks for straightening that out for me (deep Conditioning) you really broke it down. I guess I will start deep conditioning. I have a couple of questions first: 1) Do you really have to get under the dryer to deep condition or can I just keep the condiyioner on my hair for about a hour or so without heat? 2.) What good deep conditioner can I use for extremely dry hair?

I don't think you have to get under the dryer (but I do to save time). A lot of ladies here just leave the conditioner on for a period of time, your body heat and time will help the conditioner penetrate. As for good deep conditioners for dry hair, I use ORS Replenishing Pak when I have dry hair.

LHCF and other forums like it have been the Truth for me other wise I really couldn't get my hair to grow at all past SL.The things I learned that made the most defferance were:
-Stretching
-Weekly Deep con
-Moisture protien balance
-Daily moisture and bagging
-MTG
-Vitamins

-Getting regular protien treatments and deep conditioning with a moisturizing conditioner. I used to only deep condition w/one conditioner.
-learning to maintain the protien/moisture balance of my hair.
-Moisturizing daily and sealing with an oil
-Using only one leave-in conditioner after washing my hair
-Using anti-frizz serums
-Pre-pooing
-Dominican products!! They've done wonders for my hair in terms of shine, smoothness and strength :love:.

LHCF tips that helped my hair:

1. No heat and airdrying in rollersets to straighten and smooth out my hair were concepts I never heard of before. I always thought I (and other ladies with my hair type) had to use heat, like blowdryers to get my hair straight. I started doing this immediately after learning about it, especially with ponytail rollersetting.

2. Braidouts, buns and updos like French Twists were styles I learned when I first came to LHCF. I had never worn updos or buns before, braidouts only as a child. I rotated these styles and wore them mainly because they look good on me more than protection, although I feel they did help restore my hair's health my first year.

3. Stretching my relaxer never happened before and I started doing it as soon as I learned about it here. What a difference! It made my hair stronger and it feels good not relaxing so often in the year (I do 4 times/year).

4. Really working my silk and satin scarves to keep my hair moisturized and smooth, especially when stretching (thanks to Sylver2's techniques).

5. "Sealing in the moisture with oil" was something I learned here. It continues to help my hair every wash day.

6. Using a Jilbrere comb to detangle my hair under the shower was a hair-saver! I used wide toothed combs before but I really love this one!

7. Perfecting my rollersets for wearing them (which I had not done until more recently) was something I learned from the ladies here, including Macherieamore's techniques.
http://www.healthytextures.com/

8. I'm still learning new, simple techniques to add to my regimen and help my hair! :bdance:

ETA: Using a protein treatment like Keraphix as a pre-poo (thanks to Macherieamore and a couple of other ladies). This keeps my hair strong without the dryness.

Last edited:
Since I was not using heat before I ever found LHCF, I'd have to say a single product review helped me the most... NTM! Love the stuff and my hair is doing great because of it!

Also much of what Isis said!

Last edited:
NO COMBING
Oiling the ends
Roller setting instead of flatironing
Using heat protectant
Moisturizing (my hair is like a desert in the middle of July)
The best tip was something simple- keeping my ends off of clothing. I have less split ends and breakage because of this.

Stretching
No heat between relaxers
Rollersetting
Moisturizing my ends
Washing and detangling hair in shower

Like many, before LHCF I felt that I was miseducated about caring for my hair - I did the same old things (like greasing my scalp) and wondered why I did not get better results. :confused:

ps. I read that heat helps to open your cuticles so that a deep conditioner is absorbed better! Rinsing with cool water will close the hair cuticles.

CurliDiva said:
Like many, before LHCF I felt that I was miseducated about caring for my hair - I did the same old things (like greasing my scalp) and wondered why I did not get better results. :confused:

ps. I read that heat helps to open your cuticles so that a deep conditioner is absorbed better! Rinsing with cool water will close the hair cuticles.

I'll be trying this tonight! Thanks

CurliDiva said:

Hmmmmm....

Just relaxed so when I wash in a week or so, I'll be dc'ing w/ heat to test this theory.

importance of moisture, moisture and more moisture
minimizing heat
oil does not moisturize
no oil with flat irioning
dominican products
co washes

I've learned alot!!:)

Satin Pillowcase, Satin Cap, Avoiding cotton in hair, keeping ends of hair away from clothing.
QP Mango butter is wounderful for getting my dry hair moisturized and oiled.
Finger detangling

Incorporating protein treatments. Until I joined this board I had never heard anything about protein treatments.

Re: LHCF tips and or advice that has actualy helped your hair

1) Deep Conditioning treatments under a hood dryer. I went off of these for 6 months and my hair literally snapped in places. I am now slowly trying to repair my damaged hair.

2) Read labels on product bottles. I didn't realize that mineral oil and other ingredients were so bad for my hair. I have an ingredient dictionary that I use to look up ingredients.

3)Be sure to use a satin pillowcase to sleep on. I have multiples of these and bring one with me when I travel.

4)Drink plenty of water. I went through a phase where I drank a lot of caffenated products (coca-cola, Dr. pepper etc.) and didn't drink hardly enough water. The caffene was really drying out my skin and especially my hair. I plan to increase my water intake this year.

5) Air drying rocks! In the summer, my hair thrives with it. In the winter, it works too but I can't go out with a wet head anymore.

6) Keep you hair covered in the winter. (Self-explanatory) Instead of walking to my car or the metro bare-headed, I now either pull my hood over my head or wear a hat with a silk scarf sewn inside of it. I know the scarf looks weird, but my hair feels a lot better.

7) What might have been good for my hair when I was younger might not be good for me now. I used to use Sulfur 8 when I was younger. I started to use it again last year but after a few days my hair started to look dull.

I see that alot of ladies are say moisture and more moisture. What are some good moisturizers and I mean a moisturizer that really does what it says "moisturize". So far I have not found a good moisturizer. I use care free curl gold instant activator and I seal it with Africa's Best herbal oil. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated ;)

Castor oil
minimum heat (esp. no blowdrying)
rollersets
hemp conditioner
silk amino acids
Phyto Index II
dc b4 neutralizing during retouches
trimming own ends

Back