LHCF Hair Awakening Survey! Do you remember?

Dposh167

Just interested in hearing everyone’s personal hair awakening story (plus I’m tired of reading the same ol threads…shhh)

.Please answer all questions honestly and as best as u can remember!

1) Exactly how did u find LHCF (or any other hairboard)?:sekret:
(Was it by accident….did someone refer u to it….were u trying to google new hairstyles and stumbled across a fotki?)

2) What was it that finally made u STOP doing what it was that stunted ur growth and health?.....
(did u get tired of being ridiculed by fam b/c of ur hair condition…did u see a girl w/ great hair on the street that inspired u?.....was it a fotki and progress picsc?..were u just sick and tired of ur hair being damaged?)

3) In the beginning of ur journey…Was there a hair technique/product/ treatment that had u skeptical or just seemed taboo!
(the baggy wha!!....coochie cream on scalp. I don’t think so)

4) :angel:No matter how long ur journey has been.what are THREE (3) things u’ve learned that has changed ur hair for the better?
(moisture retention, protein, ayurveda, baggy method, dusting , DC’ing , going natural , stretching, etc….)

1) Exactly how did u find LHCF (or any other hairboard)?
I actually found BHM first then LHCF. It was by accident. I was looking for more info on mineral oil and petroletum and stumbled upon the hairboards.

2) What was it that finally made u STOP doing what it was that stunted ur growth and health?.....
One day I sat down and thought to myself…my hair has been this length for 10 years. Something is not right here.

3) In the beginning of ur journey…Was there a hair technique/product/ treatment that had u skeptical or just seemed taboo! Definitely the baggy method! It made sense but I wasn’t so sure how it would tame my stubborn ends

4) No matter how long ur journey has been.what are THREE (3) things u’ve learned that has changed ur hair for the better?
Moisture retention- has helped make my hair so much easier to manage
Dusting- has helped me maintain my splits
No cones- as far as daily moisturizing goes it’s helped keep my hair from getting buildup which prevents me from retaining moisture

I was a member of BHM and found LHCF.

I realized that I NEVER trimmed, but my hair always "stopped growing" around APL. I also took a look at Sistaslick's fotki and it inspired me.

3) In the beginning of ur journey…Was there a hair technique/product/ treatment that had u skeptical or just seemed taboo!
MTG! I did try it, and it works, but it was just too much to deal with.

4) No matter how long ur journey has been.what are THREE (3) things u’ve learned that has changed ur hair for the better?
Moisture, moisture, moisture!
Low manipulation
DC'ing is not just for the salon

Just interested in hearing everyone’s personal hair awakening story (plus I’m tired of reading the same ol threads…shhh)

I searched for "black hair and henna" or something like that and hit VWVixxen's fokti. She mentioned LHCF. I joined a few days later (I think).

What's I understood what I was doing wrong it was almost impossible for me continue to do those things. I wanted to grow my hair so bad I was willing to do WHATEVER it took... still am. :wink2:

I didn't believe until my hair started creeping down my shoulders and back.

4) :angel:No matter how long ur journey has been.what are THREE (3) things u’ve learned that has changed ur hair for the better?
lo/no poo, dc dry w/ heat, learning to detangle seriously tangled hair without breakage.

I found it just by doing a search. I had been lurking on different AOL boards for a while but whenever I would ask a question about black hair or products, no one could help me.

My growth or health was never really stunted. My hair was a nice length when I got here and it's always been healthy. I was looking for advice on how to make it ULTRA long though.

I wasn't sure that CW was for me. I thought it seemed like too much manipulation and too much work to be doing every day. I was of the "wash your hair once every week or two" school of thought and no more.

1. CW

2. No trimming

3. Stretching relaxers

Honorary 4th thing: Dominican Products:grin:

Message deemed too short.

I found it by mistake by google. I was also a member of BHM and this site was referenced a bit so I checked it out.

2) What was it that finally made u STOP doing what it was that stunted ur growth and health?Vanity

Lotion on hair, baggy, pre-poo makes sense, but its just another step (sigh).

1). Moisturizer 2).Stop trimming every relaxer 3). Sealing

(Was it by accident….did someone refer u to it….were u trying to google new hairstyles and stumbled across a fotki?) I found it by searching on yahoo.com.

(did u get tired of being ridiculed by fam b/c of ur hair condition…did u see a girl w/ great hair on the street that inspired u?.....was it a fotki and progress picsc?..were u just sick and tired of ur hair being damaged?) I just wanted to take care of my hair bc I was a college student that did not have any money to go to the hair salon.

(the baggy wha!!....coochie cream on scalp. I don’t think so)To be honest no, not really.

(moisture retention, protein, ayurveda, baggy method, dusting , DC’ing , going natural , stretching, etc….)FONT]
CW/DC'ing,
to love my natural texture, and to read the ingredients of products.

Please answer all questions honestly and as best as u can remember!

Most likely a Google search.

Combination of wanting to be less dependent on hairdressers, my hairdresser moved out of state, wanted to be less dependent on relaxers.

Nothing was taboo in the first couple of weeks, but I did let go of the "coochie" cream and baggying kinda quick. I was skeptical about conditioner washing but now it's a staple!

Low manipulation, moderation with heat, and definitely going natural (after close to 30 years of relaxers).

It's been so long I don't even remember details but I recall that I was searching for information on hair care. I found LHCF and longhaircommunity at around the same time.

I simply reached the end of my rope. I don't know how to describe the disappointment I was feeling.

I was skeptical about protein treatments. It wasn't that they were taboo, I just didn't think they would work for me. Also, MTG, daily washing, and minimizing brushing.

I have so many things:
-- My hair needs regular protein treatments & deep conditioning.
-- Used correctly, trims can be helpful (I started my journey with a year of frequent small-ish trims, that got off the damage and I saw some growth).
-- For me, frequent washing/co-washing is far better than any leave-ins or moisturizers I've found for keeping my hair moisturized and healthy.
-- Minimizing brushing, combing and handling dry hair helps me retain length.

Through a google search for black hair care I stumbled upon Kathy Howse's site. Once there, I read her testimonial or FAQ section (not sure which one) and someone mentioned LHCF. I decided to check out this site, registered under free membership in August 06, lurked for a few months, paid the 5 bucks to post and got serious in March 07.

I wondered why I got to just below or at shoulder length effortlessly and then my hair would just break off.

MN had me very skeptical. I actually just started trying a mixture I made up about two weeks ago.

1. Stop relaxing bone straight and overlapping. Just texlax for manageability and the flat iron will do the rest.
2. Protective styles, particularly bunning is paramount in length retention.
3. Finding a simplistic regimen (knowing what works for your hair and your pocketbook) and sticking to it.

I had just made a decision to stop wearing fake hair and grow my own hair long but I had no clue how to do it so I googled "how to grow long hair" and found an article about 20 tips to grow long hair I think it was. Then I started researching information on how to grow black hair specifically and found growafrohairlong.com and Cathy Howse's website. I was absolutely amazed that black women could grow long hair if they wanted to even if they hadn't had it before. I just kept searching and shortly after that I found LHCF!

I was wearing weaves and braids thinking they would grow my hair but they just ended up causing damage to it and it broke really short at the front. I'd had enough and just wanted to wear my own hair.

Applying topical growth aids like MTG and MN. Still haven't tried them.

Dcing with heat regularly, moisturizing and sealing, low manipulation

Last edited:
Im so oldschool that I used to be on the yahoo group 365 day blackhairsupergrowout! That was wayyyyyyyyy back when. Im sure it was by google or yahoo search about black hair. I never really commited to haircare back then...I was just always looking for the miracle product. It wasnt until this past year that I learned it was more how you care for your hair than the products that make it grow. This was the next forum I found after that on closed down. I cant remember why it closed.....

But Adrienne was the first person I saw grow their hair long and my first inspiration!

I realized there is no miracle product...and starting using healthy haircare practices (stretching, low heat, deep conditioning regularly,etc)

I was skeptical about stretching....everybody used to always tell me your hair will break off after 6 to 8 weekss.

1) My hair loves to be washed and conditioned often
2) My hair is too fragile to handle being fully processed and thrives in its natural state or texlaxed
3) Hair is going to grow no matter what....growth retention is the main skill that needs to be learned

I was visiting a fitness forum and a fellow member mentioned she was also a member at LHCF and posted the link.

When I REALIZED that my current hair practices were doing more harm than good. I didn't know that my 4b hair could grow much past shoulder length. :ohwell: Thank God for knowledge.

Yes, MN. I used it for about 2 weeks, got headaches, then stopped using it.

1. Daily moisturizing, especially ends
2. Putting oil on previously-relaxed ends
3. Scalp massages

I found out about it from a LHCF memeber who is also a member of Babycenter.com. She mentioned the forum in one of her posts and I've been hooked ever since.

I just made up my mind to let my hair grow (I've had short hair for about 10 years).

I was skeptical of MN

1) Deep Condition
2) Moisture and Protein balance
3) Low manipulation

Was so pissed off with my step-brother/hairstylist when he hacked my hair off instead of just trimming it. (while I was trying to grow my layers back out). When I confronted him about it, he said "it wasn't like your hair was down to your butt", but it almost actually was. I came to the site to honestly figure out a way to grow my hair back as quick as possible to "show" him.

My hair was always long and I never had problems growing it, but the thing that stunted growth (for a year before I found the board) was that at every relaxer, I would let him clip my ends, but I realized that my hair was staying the same length b/c he was practically clipping off the same amount that I grew!!

MTG; I had never used any growth aids and it just seemed strange.

(1) Moisturizing my hair more often....I used to be afraid of "over"moisturizing it b/c my hair would poof up, and besides I didn't like my hair to be weighed down.
(2) Sealing with oils and massaging my scalp with them as well.
(3) Going natural.....Should have never taken the relaxer leap 20 years ago......

I found out about LHCF and BHM about the same time. However, I joined BHM first. I stubbled upon both of the boards after researching "black hair care" on the internet.

I was sick and tired of depending on hair weaves and braids. I had always had fairly short neck to barely shoulder length hair. For the longest I was more concerned about hair styling then hair health, something just clicked one day and I wanted healthy hair more then the newest style.
No, nothing seemed taboo to me. I knew that whatever I was doing was not working so anything different from what I was currently doing was better. This lead into me being a PJ and trying a lot of techniques that did not work!
1) Rollersetting to dry hair -- For the first year and a half of my journey I was air drying because I thought that this was best (I thought it was better because it seemed as if a lot of ladies on the hair board used this technique more so then any other drying technique). I found out later that my hair does not like to be airdried and rollersetting works much better for me!!
2) Going to a Professional for relaxers -- I stretch my relaxers and will continue do this as long as Im relaxing, however since my NG grows in thick its hard for me or my mother to fully relax my hair (my hair always ended up underprocessed with frizzy ends). I found that going to a professional that I trust and listens to my concerns is much healthier for my hair. Im no longer underprocessed and my ends are smooth and not frizzy and tattered.
3) Finding products that work for your hair -- In the beginning I would purchase products based on hype and not my hair type. Now I have found products that may not be popular however they work wonders on my hair.

LHCF was mentioned on a different hairboard that I was a member. I really did not like that board because the ladies were always rude too each other and arguing all the time.

I never knew how to take care of my own hair and just kept it tied up in braids all of the time. I wore them for at least 10 years.

(the baggy wha!!....coochie cream on scalp. I don’t think so)

No not really. I am a very open minded person and will try "almost" anything once. I tried the MGT for about 6 weeks. I got good growth from it but got tired of having to contral my nausea reflex when I put it on my hair. It was just too much trouble and most of the EOs that I found to camaflauge the smell were scents that I didn't necessarily want to smell like on a regular basis.

(moisture retention, protein, ayurveda, baggy method, dusting , DC’ing , going natural , stretching, etc….)

1. DC ING - I never DC'd B4 LCHF except at the salon
2. Protein Treatments -Never even heard of them B4 LCHF
3.What really made it happen for me was just understanding what the basic functions of what hair needs to survive on my head for many years chemicals are good and what chemicals are bad, and specifics about products and the proper use of them.

growafrohairlong.com eventually led me to fotkis,which eventually led me to lhcf.(i think it was Mook's)

Watching my hair break non stop and wanting healthy hair with some length back.

the monistat shocked me at first.

deep conditioning on dry hair;silk to protect pre-relaxed hair; adding olive oil to my relaxers.

I did some web searches when I decided to start my hair journey. LHCF looked more legit than some of the other sites I came across :sekret:....

I realised I had been bamboozled into bi-weekly hair appointments that were costing me a bomb and my hair was still looking awful and breaking. I noticed everyone around that was doing the same thing were getting the same result. As they say if you do the same thing you get the same results so I tried something different.

All of them! Lol!!! But I think I was desperate. In the first 3 months of finding the board I bought EVERYTHING recommended by EVERYONE! Main ones I needed to be convinced on were *washing hair frequently, MTG, no heat (and still able to leave the house), 'white people' hair products :lachen:

1. Finishing with the creamy crack!
2. MTG
3. Moisture, Moisture, Moisture

GREAT THREAD!

I googled black hair care and found the achive for this site, learned so much from that archive that i had to come to real thing.

i got my first perm in 2001 but 5 years later it was the same length so i realized i must be doing something drastically wrong

3) In the beginning of ur journey…Was there a hair technique/product/ treatment that had u skeptical or just seemed taboo! i would say MN and for some reason i was convinced that hooded dryers were worse on your hair that flat irons:lachen:who knew?

1. just because a product makes your shiny doesnt mean its actually good for your hair *cough* pink oil
2. protien-didnt even know it existed (in hair care that is)
3.moisturizer is a true friend never turn your back on it

playing around with google
It was a combo of a new stylist and techniques. My hair was healthy and growing, but I had dryness from using only keracare products.Their moisturizer/leave ins build up on and dry out my hair. My stylist was good but a little scissor happy even though I was growing out my no lye relaxer.All of her clients had short cuts.I have a new stylist who is about hair health and prefers working with long hair, and only trims what is needed.

using regular conditioners to deep condition. I still am skeptical of it.
1 importance of chelating regularly because of hard water. My hair did a 180
2 prepooing/dc on dry hair-protects my hair from the ill effects of shampoo.
3 products!!!: Alter Ego garlic hot oil treatment-eradicated my shedding issues, salerm 21 b5, dominicans, kenra, amla, shikaikai, biolage, etc. having a variety of conditioners works best for me.

Last edited:
I found this hair board when I googled "black hair growth". I found Cathy Howse's UBH, and I found Growafrohairlong.com, she refers to LHCF, and here I am.

My hair was looking like a dull, thin, raggedy-ends shadow of my former hair and I was feeling a bit low at the condition of my hair. My most destructive habits were not wrapping my hair in a scarf, not moistuzing often enough, and never DCing.

The product that I was most skeptical about is MN, but I am not going to lie. I have my own MN recipe now. I would like to believe that it works and has accelerated my growth but my hair has always grown quickly and I wasnt tracking my growth before; so who knows. What I do know is that it givves me good incentive to moisturize my hair, b/c all the other ingredients in the MN mix are good for my hair so it's a win/win situation for my hair.

Three things that I have learned that have transformed my hair for the better are
1. moisturize, moisturize, moisturize; I DC with every wash, usually 2x /week
2. Protein cond., as one of the members said: you can't have chemically relaxed hair and not give your hair a Protein boost.

3.Stretching my relaxer: I have fallen in love with my texture again. I am currently on a 5 month stretch. Lord knows my hair needed it, considering heat was my best friend (boy did I use to abuse my hair, I thought that the crackle of my hair burning was good).

I googled hair breakage or something similar and LHCF came up. I checked it out and lurked for a while then joined.

My hair was just so disgusting. Scraggly, frizzed ends, uneven and broken. It was just ridiculous.

Using MN and Shapley's MTG. Still haven't used either!

Not brushing, moisturizing daily, and hair 'science' (protein vs. moisture, adding silk to relaxer, using additives such as SAA, marine collagen, etc).

My roomie told me about Ateya and I found LHCF when I started researching Aphogee products.

I wanted to stop the massive breakage I was experiencing. Initially I wasn't focused on length, I just wanted my hair to be healthy again.

Co-washing & Air drying...I couldn't imagine doing this or how it could be beneficial...now I :love: it

Moisture (DC weekly, M&S daily, co-wash in between)
Protein (Aphogee 2-step every 6-8 weeks)
Keeping Hair off shoulders (low mani styles or ps)

Internet searches on "grow african american hair long" kept coming up with LHCF. I finally lurked for about one day and signed uo right away.

I took a look at this photo and got really scared about my hair's condition. Plus, a good friend of my sisters who had damaged hair in college had grown out her hair to MBL and I was like- hey if she could do it, why can't I?
picture.php

The importance of moisture and protein
Protective Styling
Being gentle with my hair

I "googled" how to grow African American hair long or something to that effect.

I got tired of sweeping my hair up off the floor and having students brushing it off my back.

co-washing, castor oil, baggying

I've learned that I can style my hair without daily heat, some old school methods are still viable (castor oil), and relaxing every 4 weeks is criminal for me.

Back