LHCF 103: Introduction to Hair Serums

Sasha Fierce

Hi Ladies,

I am a little confused on what a serum is and what it should be used for. Previously, I thought Paul Mitchell Super Skinny or Biosilk Silk Therapy were considered serums; but, I was told differently on a couple of occasions. So my questions are:

1. What is a serum?

2. How should it be used?

3. Are serums also moisturizers?

4. What should one look for when selecting the best serum for her hair?

TIA and please feel free to add any other helpful information :)

SmartAlek said:
Hi Ladies,

I am a little confused on what a serum is and what it should be used for. Previously, I thought Paul Mitchell Super Skinny or Biosilk Silk Therapy were considered serums; but, I was told differently on a couple of occasions. So my questions are:

1. What is a serum?

2. How should it be used?

3. Are serums also moisturizers?

4. What should one look for when selecting the best serum for her hair?

TIA and please feel free to add any other helpful information :)

1. Hair serums basically have silicones in them that help in smoothing the hair, protecting against heat like when flat ironing, and giving hair shine

2. A little goes a long way. You only need about a dime size to a quarter size amount of it b/c it builds up very easily.

3. Serums are NOT moisturizers. There is no water in them so they do not moisturize. They help seal the hair cuticles so that they lay down smooth and add shine.

4. To me they all have basically the same things in them, silicones. I've used cheap ones from Wal-Mart to more expensive ones and I always get the same results reallly.

HTH! :D :grin:

Macherieamour told me that all serums are basically the same, because I didn't know what brand to get. I bought CHI Silk Infusion and Fantasia IC Straightening Serum before I found that out.

John Frieda do serums a little does go a looooong way and also be aware that it seals your hair so moisturise before you put it on, and wash frequently to prevent build up. HTH

Just want to add that u may need to CLARIFY often as well b/c of the build up for the silicones. I use them often and clarify usually once a month by using a shampoo with SLSs like Suave or just add baking soda to my shampoo.

Thanks again ladies! Great info...I will have to start with some of the serums mentioned in this thread. I have Keracare first lather so that should help with clarifying.

Back