LET'S FIND A NEW NAME FOR HEAT TRAINING!

@Chaosbutterfly

This reminds me of when Oprah was on TV, saying that instead of referring to themselves as broke, people should say that they are "temporarily out of cash". I don't know why folks like to give things fancy names...it all means the same thing. Whether you say you're broke or temporarily out of cash doesn't change the fact that you ain't got no money.

Hello,

I'm french and to be honest I've never seen the Oprah Winfrey show. But now I know why she is the number one. people who believe in the laws of attraction through positive thinking Will See What I Mean.
I'm "temporarily out of cash" is less negative than "Im broke".
The situation will change faster, you know it's just for a small moment. But with "I'm broke" you don't know for how many time?

And whether you call your hair heat trained or thermally reconstructed doesn't change the fact that you used heat to alter your natural texture.
I just don't see the point...it's just more letters to be typing.

Yes you are right! We change the texture of our hair with heat. That's not the problem in fact that's the great part.
I just have the feeling that "heat training" don't belong to the new generation of heat trained ladies.
And we live in a world where words are important, words are not created equals.

so because people get upset that they tell the truth as to what a process is you now want a new name that people won't recognize and think they won't still say it's the same thing as heat training which is still obvious slow and steady heat damage?

I'm not personally down with heat training either, but I just thought we were playing some kind of fun word game to change the name. What's with all the confusion and such?? :perplexed

Op I have nothing against heat training and I now get what you are saying... I just think it is pointless to change the name.. The only thing that will change peoples impressions about the processes is lot of success pictures.... Lots of different people trying it and loving it and showing it off... Give it time when there are waist length heat trained ladies you won't care what people call it....

Why is it I feel like I have read this post 100 times and I still have no idea what you are saying..... Who is Brittney? What book? Why a new name?
I just keep thinking Brittney Spears can't even cover her weave tracks she does not need to be writing a book... can she even read books?....

I thought I was the only one lost...i gave up trying to understand. Figured it was due to me being sleepy lol

Op I have nothing against heat training and I now get what you are saying... I just think it is pointless to change the name.. The only thing that will change peoples impressions about the processes is lot of success pictures.... Lots of different people trying it and loving it and showing it off... Give it time when there are waist length heat trained ladies you won't care what people call it....

i'm still transitioning so I know I can't speak about the ease or difficulty of natural hair since I don't technically have it yet. But the bolded scares me because I fear for those that are going to dang near set flames to their hair because all of a sudden frequent heat is healthy now.

works for some folks if they do it right but it's really just glorified heat damage. We usually see the bad end result of heat damage on the hair sites I really think a lot of people are doing this to themselves accidentally and don't realize it until it's too late.

@aroscie
for the first quote
please read my answer to Lynnerie

for the second quote
please read my answer to virtuenow.

"A new name is not going to make people start respecting heat training and its not new"...

"respecting" is an interesting word choice. (unlike me, you are a native english speaker, so you know the full signification of the words you use)

"Start to respecting"...that's mean heat training is not respected now.
Why something this old is not even seen as a "respectable" hair technique?

well maybe relaxing is more respectable than heat training, maybe braiding is more respectable than heat training, and what about the other hair technique?

Suddenly, I'm afraid... maybe some people think that since heat training it's not respectable, I don't deserve respect too!

No it's impossible, if it was the case I would be treated differently, I would be afraid to talk about what I do in my hair because whatever I would say would be wrong...

Last edited:
@roux That may be true for some..... Just like stretching causes damage for some but for others its great... Some can have healthy relaxed hair and some can not.... There are going to always be people who will try something that does not work for them... To each there own..... Some people will lose length and health of their hair by just those SSK's. I have seen people who's hair is not heat damaged but heat trained... The link the OP gave me was a great example.... I can't knock it... Or judge it.....

Hmm no words to add to the thread as far as the name thing goes but umm...I like Brittany's hair (doesn't look damaged to me) only time will tell though
shrugs**

@OP I think heat training isn't respected because most people associate it with damage and not as a tool for growth...That has noting to do with you...
Overall I just think heat training is not seen as a technique yet. I think heat training is a valid hair choice and people who don't agree with it should back down and just let others do their thing......I just think looking to rename it is a waste of time.... The only time people will stop bashing it is when there are waist length ladies posting pictures of their success.

so because people get upset that they tell the truth as to what a process is you now want a new name that people won't recognize and think they won't still say it's the same thing as heat training which is still obvious slow and steady heat damage?

"Heat damaged" has already been proposed Roux, it's a favorite!
I like it, it must be funny to answer to the people who asked you: "How do you take care of your hair? they look nice (like Brittany or longhairdon'tcare)
"nothing really! I heat dammaged them."

Just kinding! As I tried to explain before we don't try too hide the damages caused by the heat training, in fact we are the crazy people who look for those damages. We are crazy I told you!
We want enough damages to change our curl pattern but not too much because we don't want breakage, dryness and other bad things.

works for some folks if they do it right but it's really just glorified heat damage. We usually see the bad end result of heat damage on the hair sites I really think a lot of people are doing this to themselves accidentally and don't realize it until it's too late.

A protocol like the one from Brittany will help this technic to succeed for the majority of people who want to try it.
The damage will be controled maybe we are utopist to believe this but some people do it with lye. Why not us with heat?

I like glorified heat damage too!

Last edited:
You would need to come up with a defined process for the term. Many are confused by heat training and do it improperly.

LOL, This reminds me of when Oprah was on TV, saying that instead of referring to themselves as broke, people should say that they are "temporarily out of cash". I don't know why folks like to give things fancy names...it all means the same thing. Whether you say you're broke or temporarily out of cash doesn't change the fact that you ain't got no money.
And whether you call your hair heat trained or thermally reconstructed doesn't change the fact that you used heat to alter your natural texture.
I just don't see the point
...it's just more letters to be typing. :ohwell:

I am sorry but the post still makes no sense and neither does the message to Brittany. A new name is not going to make people start respecting heat training and its not new..... I really can't believe someone is going to sell a book about it.....I think most of the older women in my family must have been heat trained because they pressed and didn't relax..... This is a very confusing thread.

:yep:
i'm not "hating" or trying to bash brittany but:

1.)why is she writing a book on something people have been doing for years? it aint that deep...continually use high heat over time, and eventually your curls will loosen and your hair will get straighter faster and with less effort...i thought that was common knowledge:look: people have been using hot combs and technically "heat training" for over 100 years, so i really hope she doesnt try to come off as if she invented this brand new revolutionary method...i guess i just dont understand what new things she's bringing to the table that calls for a whole book to be written about it

2.) i dont see her changing the name of heat training catching on to many people 1st of all, and people who knew what it was before will still call it heat training...the phrase isnt going to go away...if anything the new phrase will probably just confuse people

i dont have a problem with heat training...if i ever decided i wanted permanently straight hair, i would heat train instead of relaxing...the only thing that makes it different from heat damage though, is that its intentional...if i straighten my hair and it doesnt revert, i'd be pissed because i have heat damage...a heat trainer actually wants those curl loosening effects.

I think this is key to the differentiation between heat damage and thermalizing/heat trained

Heat damage:

1. breakage

2. unitentional alteration of hair texture wheather its breaking or not (as someone who DOESNT want their texture altered will say there hair is damaged regardless of wheather its breaking or not because there intention was not to alter anything permantley.

Thermalized: Intentional alteration of the hairs texture, no abnormal shedding or breakage.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Long Hair Care Forum App

You would need to come up with a defined process for the term. Many are confused by heat training and do it improperly.

If you have idea for the process please share.
In fact, I know the actual process is not organized (ok ok it's a mess) but you can consider this thread is a sketch.

Refer to above post for definition. I agree a process for heat training needs to be devised.

I think this is key to the differentiation between heat damage and thermalizing/heat trained

Heat damage:

1. breakage

2. unitentional alteration of hair texture wheather its breaking or not (as someone who DOESNT want their texture altered will say there hair is damaged regardless of wheather its breaking or not because there intention was not to alter anything permantley.

Thermalized: Intentional alteration of the hairs texture, no abnormal shedding or breakage.

yep, a clear difference.

In fact, I know the actual process is not organized (ok ok it's a mess) but you can consider this thread is a sketch.

I do but on my phone and can't be bothered to right another ridiculously long message on my phone. Guess Ill wait till later

Heat damage:

1. breakage

Thermalized: Intentional alteration of the hairs texture with heat , no abnormal shedding or breakage.

I'm on my phone .. Quoting so I can easily edit and reply later without forgeting

Quick example though: think about why cheryle cole didn't want to change here name back to cheryle tweedy after her divorce?

She built a new image around the new name, changed peoples perception if her .. This basically is what giving this process a new name will initiate. (in a nutshell .. Will explain more throughly after )

:yep:
i'm not "hating" or trying to bash brittany but:

1.)why is she writing a book on something people have been doing for years? it aint that deep...continually use high heat over time, and eventually your curls will loosen and your hair will get straighter faster and with less effort...i thought that was common knowledge:look: people have been using hot combs and technically "heat training" for over 100 years, so i really hope she doesnt try to come off as if she invented this brand new revolutionary method...i guess i just dont understand what new things she's bringing to the table that calls for a whole book to be written about it

2.) i dont see her changing the name of heat training catching on to many people 1st of all, and people who knew what it was before will still call it heat training...the phrase isnt going to go away...if anything the new phrase will probably just confuse people

i dont have a problem with heat training...if i ever decided i wanted permanently straight hair, i would heat train instead of relaxing...the only thing that makes it different from heat damage though, is that its intentional...if i straighten my hair and it doesnt revert, i'd be pissed because i have heat damage...a heat trainer actually wants those curl loosening effects.

Some questions that you could answer, since I don't know much about heat training. I think my mother had me heat trained.
1. How often to use heat and on what temperature should be the heat be.
2. The products to use on straight hair styles to prevent reversion.
3. How to prevent reversion in rainy, humid weather. If you cannot prevent reversion, what styles to wear (such as braid outs..many people surprisingly don't know about this style).
4. Indicate how long the heat training should last.
5. Signs that you may be using too much heat and the steps to take if hair is damaged/to prevent damage.
6. The type of diet you should have. I imagine a high protein diet because your hair would need to be strong to handle the heat. You could also recommend MSM, for a looser hair texture to grow.
This is all I have for now, If I think of some more I'll tell. These are mainly the questions I have because I tried to unsuccessfully heat train.

I dislike thermal straightening. That's just what we do when we normally straighten our hair ... With that term there's no dissasociation between normal straightening and straightening to alter texture.. That could be dangerous. Damn to much writing on phone.. Im gone tikl back home ;(

I'm on my phone .. Quoting so I can easily edit and reply later without forgeting

Quick example though: think about why cheryle cole didn't want to change here name back to cheryle tweedy after her divorce?

She built a new image around the new name, changed peoples perception if her .. This basically is what giving this process a new name will initiate. (in a nutshell .. Will explain more throughly after )

i dont know who that is lol, but with both names she's still the same person...and plus an identity is something that you create for yourself based on actions and behavior...heat training is a technique that has been around for ages...no1 owns or "invented" it, and changing the name is pointless...if someone thinks the name relaxer should be changed tommorow, it doesnt mean anything because millions of people will still call it a relaxer and it will still be the same chemical and do the same thing

@OP I think heat training isn't respected because most people associate it with damage and not as a tool for growth...That has noting to do with you...
Overall I just think heat training is not seen as a technique yet. I think heat training is a valid hair choice and people who don't agree with it should back down and just let others do their thing......I just think looking to rename it is a waste of time.... The only time people will stop bashing it is when there are waist length ladies posting pictures of their success.

couldn't agree more!:yep:

Back