Let me see pictures of your parent's hair!!!

kiesha8185

I figured this would be a fun thread! Since genetics do play a role in our hair growth, it may even give you some insight for your own hair (as far as maintenance is concerned).

I'll start:

My Mom
[URL="http://postimage.org/image/21op6ykjo/"][/URL]

I would assume my mom is a 4b/c. Her hair is very wiry, fine, almost no curl patten, and very strong. Her hair is like cotton in texture and dryness! My mom recently relaxed her hair after being natural for about 7 years. I was disappointed because I knew she did not understand the mechanics in maintaining relaxed hair. When she first permed it, she was full SL. Now it's slowly breaking off towards neck length. I'm trying my best to intervene, but she doesn't want to listen :wallbash: She just sees my hair and assumes she can achieve it without any work or knowledge. :::sigh:::

My Dad

I love my daddy's hair :grin: I want to say he's a 4a. His roots are well-moisturized, very soft, and wavy. His hair does have a curl pattern, and I think my hair is more like his than my mom's. This picture was taken years ago, so his hair is a little longer than WL and he's about 6'3''. He has so much hair! He usually wears it up in a loose bun and does absolutely nothing to maintain it besides having my mom wash it for him.

new422-vi.jpg

I didn't want to post, but I think her hair is inspiration for type 4a/4b natural hair. She is about WL unstretched and TBL stretched. She pretty much grew her hair out with washing, twisting and wearing a wig( one I can't stand:look:). But it worked for her.

I found this old pic of my mom from the early 70s before her 5 babies came along...when she still had her "swexy" lol. This is how she wore her hair most of the time back in the day. In another pic (that I can't find right now), she had it threaded and it was APL in the front, and grazing BSL in the back. So, I guess there is hope for me lol.

She's a 4b, and from the pics I've been able to see, she alternated between picked out fros and threaded hair styles. Even still, she still managed to retain alot of her length. I remember her telling me a long time ago that besides washing, all she used on her hair was water and shea butter.

2010-08-26103015.jpg

Last edited:
I didn't want to post, but I think her hair is inspiration for type 4a/4b natural hair. She is about WL unstretched and TBL stretched. She pretty much grew her hair out with washing, twisting and wearing a wig( one I can't stand:look:). But it worked for her.

Thanks for not holding out this pic...her hair is :lick: It's funny how most of these long haired women have low-mani reggies :yep:

I found this old pic of my mom from the early 70s before her 5 babies came along...when she still had her "swexy" lol. This is how she wore her hair most of the time back in the day. In another pic (that I can't find right now), she had it threaded and it was APL in the front, and grazing BSL in the back. So, I guess there is hope for me lol.

She's a 4b, and from the pics I've been able to see, she alternated between picked out fros and threaded hair styles. Even still, she still managed to retain alot of her length. I remember her telling me a long time ago that besides washing, all she used on her hair was water and shea butter.

Thanks so much for sharig! I'm lovin the fro! I need to find the pics of my mom with a fro and a jheri curl :lachen:What is threading??

2010-08-26103015.jpg
Your mom is beautiful!

new422-vi.jpg

Thanks for sharing this pic! Her hair is beautiful!

I figured this would be a fun thread! Since genetics do play a role in our hair growth, it may even give you some insight for your own hair (as far as maintenance is concerned).

I'll start:

My Mom
[URL="http://postimage.org/image/21op6ykjo/"][/URL]

I would assume my mom is a 4b/c. Her hair is very wiry, fine, almost no curl patten, and very strong. Her hair is like cotton in texture and dryness! My mom recently relaxed her hair after being natural for about 7 years. I was disappointed because I knew she did not understand the mechanics in maintaining relaxed hair. When she first permed it, she was full SL. Now it's slowly breaking off towards neck length. I'm trying my best to intervene, but she doesn't want to listen :wallbash: She just sees my hair and assumes she can achieve it without any work or knowledge. :::sigh:::

My Dad

I love my daddy's hair :grin: I want to say he's a 4a. His roots are well-moisturized, very soft, and wavy. His hair does have a curl pattern, and I think my hair is more like his than my mom's. This picture was taken years ago, so his hair is a little longer than WL and he's about 6'3''. He has so much hair! He usually wears it up in a loose bun and does absolutely nothing to maintain it besides having my mom wash it for him.
Totally jealous of his length!!!

My mom's hair. In this picture I styled her hair with a curling iron. Otherwise, it kind of spikes out straight. When her hair is longer, it is a kind of loose curl/wave mix. I believe my father's hair was 4ab but unfortunately I don't have a picture. I think my hair is a mixture of my parent's textures as I fall somewhere in the middle with patches of their individual textures in parts of my hair. Sorry for the huge picture.

momhair.jpg

Lita, those fros are luscious!

reeko43 My Mom use to spend hrs getting her fro right

*I dont have either texture
I'm looking for the one when I had a fro/Took 4hrs & 2 cans of spray..Thats what I wanted for my 5th birthday..After that/returned to regular braids

Happy Hair Growing!

new422-vi.jpg

Her hair is an inspiration! Do you have any more pics of it that you could share???

Back