layers?

shygurl

do you ladies think that layers only look right on people who have long hair? my hair is past my shoulders but it is not bra strap length or even close to it. i am thinking about getting layers this spring (and some highlights)because having layers make updos look so much better. i am just so nervous about letting a hair stylist layer my hair because i have never had it done before.

I would like to know what people think about layers too. I would like some close to the ends of my hair. do layers make the hair look thicker or thinner at the ends?

If your goal is bra strap length hair, then don't cut it into a layered style.

My stylist cut my hair into layers after my virgin relaxer in April. He calls them "long layers" when I remind him that I'm going to grow them out. My mom likes the layers too, but I don't.

My hair is very fine, and the layers are visible when I wear it airdried curly, but not so much when it's rollerset straight. The shortest layers that frame my face aren't long enough to tuck into a bun or claw when I want all the hair up and out of my way, so I have to pin them up separately. I find this mildly annoying.

I'm going for the total Xmas tree pyramid shape ALL the way down to my shoulders when I wear the ringlets down (see the model in my Pics link), not this inverted stair step thing I've got going now.

Think about layers (and bangs as a matter of fact) long and hard before you have them cut, cause growing them out is no fun at all. As soon and you retain any length at all, you have to keep cutting the longest layer so that the rest of it can catch up. That said, I think layers look good on all hair lengths. So if you really want them, go for it.

ITA with CEC... layers do take a long time to grow out. BUT THEY LOOK GREAT!!!! I loved my layered look for so long, unfortunately, it's been about 3 years, and i'm still growing them out
laugh.gif

I got my hair cut in layers about 5 months ago. It took some getting use to, but I love them now. I requested long layers as well. My hair is thin and fine, so the layers give me more body.

I love my layers and I'm right between top of bra and bottom of bra. Why, megonw, do you say if your goal is brastrap, not to get them? I think they look great on any hair length
smile.gif

I personally think layers look better on longer hair. I love layers. As soon as I reach my hair goal I am cutting my hair in layers. They will just be long layers. I had my hair cut in layers before but my hair was shorter. I have thin hair and it made my hair look a lot fuller. The haircut also made me look a little more older and mature. (I am 29 and constantly mistaken for a H.S. kid) so I liked that look. As far as them growing out. My hair takes a LONNNNGG time to grow but the layers grew out so fast I couldn't believe it. I had to keep cutting my hair to maintain the look.

I had layers when my hair was mid neck. I loved them, they made my hair look full and gave me a lot of body. There is a girl in one of my classes who has almost waist length hair and she has long layers. Very pretty.

I love layers, I've been growing my hair out of a bob and as soon as it was long enough I got my layers back
wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Caramela said:
Why, megonw, do you say if your goal is brastrap, not to get them?

[/ QUOTE ]

My stylist keeps wanting to cut the layers back in so that they'll be more defined, and I have to remind him not to do it.
naughty.gif
He's supposed to just trim 1/4 inch all around.

Plus, it'd be easier for me to bun if all the hair could be gathered back without extra Good Hair Day pins on the side for the short parts.

And for some reason, when I wear the airdried ringlets, the outer shorter layers dry curlier. The underneath longer layers in the back dry straighter. Then the layers are even MORE pronounced because of the length difference!
blush.gif
It's just my personal glitch.

Back