Lawdammercy! My Hair Is Tangled, Knotted Mess - Please Help!

andromeda

Okay, I wasn't going to post bc I figured I'd be able to deal this issue but 3 hours later and I'm about to cry.

I have 4 tangled, matted knots in my hair - 1 of which is quarter size and another which is ~2 half dollars. I've been adding my v05 conditioner on the knots, letting it saturate and trying to gently pry them apart with my fingers/wide tooth comb, but these 4 just won't go away.

I know exactly why this happened and thus, won't be getting myself in this situation again. I took out my 2 week-old cornrows and was going to DC on dry hair last night (before which I don't normally detangle), but I decided I needed to shampoo (due to build-up), so I pre-poo'd with olive oil and honey overnight instead (with my hair loose). Basically, one half of my brain was operating on auto-pilot, forgetting that I had taken out cornrows and strayed from my normal routine. Today, I put my hair in 6 loose braids and shampooed with diluted castille soap. With my hair in the same 6 braids, I DCd with the usual (AOHSR, honey, TJNS) for about 2.5 hrs with heat. I got into the shower and rinsed out the DC but realized that I had yet to detangle :wallbash: ! I started saturating my hair in V05 tea therapy conditioner and got out the shower since I knew I wouldn't be able to withstand the lengthy detangling session I had ahead of me without nearly fainting. 3 hours laters and I was able to detangle the back half (about 3/4 of a fistful of hair lost) but still have these horrible knots in the front (from shed hair that wasn't detangled when I undid my cornrows).

Aside from cutting the knots out (they're about 2 in away from my scalp:nono:), what can I do get rid of them?

Please help. TIA.

What I do when I get matted sections or locs (I get locks when I do too many wash n gos and don't detangle) is detangle with my fingers. I sit down and pull strand by everlovin strand. Don't pull downward or apart that will just make the knot/matted mess worse, pull the hair toward the end of your hair (outward).

Just be patient and I would stop putting condish in it b/c that (for me at least) makes it harder to get the hair untangled.

HTH!! Make sure you are not pulshing the matted mess toward your scalp, whatever you do!

I hope you get them out! Just be patient!

Patience and oil. Olive oil works really well. I think lots of people also recommend the cowboy magic detangler.

What I do when I get matted sections or locs (I get locks when I do too many wash n gos and don't detangle) is detangle with my fingers. I sit down and pull strand by everlovin strand. Don't pull downward or apart that will just make the knot/matted mess worse, pull the hair toward the end of your hair (outward).

Just be patient and I would stop putting condish in it b/c that (for me at least) makes it harder to get the hair untangled.

HTH!! Make sure you are not pulshing the matted mess toward your scalp, whatever you do!

I hope you get them out! Just be patient!

this is what I do. Pull one or two strands out at a time. If those strands seem like they won't give, go to some others and come back to those later as they might be looser. It's like sometimes the hairs only want to come out in a certain order. Also, as you're pulling the individual hairs out, it may cause hair to bunch just underneath the knot, adding to tangle. Smooth the hair underneath the knot downward if it starts to bunch there.

Thanks so much for your suggestions, Coco, Liyah, Tee, MSA and Mwedzi! Unfortunately it's too late at night to make a run for the Mane N Tail or the Silk Elements and I don't want to go to bed with knots, so I think I'll give the olive oil a try in the meantime, combined with patience.

I have no advice - just hugs. The same exact thing happened to me Friday after taking down box braids. Instead of 4 knots, I had about a thousand. It was from months of cowashing and daily application of OCT. The base of the braids were like CEMENT! My edges are decimated, because the whole patch of hair came out when I tried to pick the knotted ball apart with the tip of the comb. I even read about it happening to someone else, and said to myself "it won't happen to me..." (how simple am I?!) :rolleyes:

But anyway, out of sheer frustration and aggravation, I ended my transition and relaxed again. :wallbash:

I'm disappointed with myself, but I did get some good length. Thank God my edges aren't completely bald like I've seen on some women. It's definitely a lesson learned for me. :look:

So I'm starting from square one.

If you have silk elements cholesterol, grab it and watch the tangles melt.

That works for me too. Castor oil has done the trick for me too. Gosh I am so sorry you are going through this. I have gone through the same fiasco and it was very stressful at the time.
Have tried using a safety pin? I have read on other threads that has been helpful to others. hth

Okay, I wasn't going to post bc I figured I'd be able to deal this issue but 3 hours later and I'm about to cry.

I have 4 tangled, matted knots in my hair - 1 of which is quarter size and another which is ~2 half dollars. I've been adding my v05 conditioner on the knots, letting it saturate and trying to gently pry them apart with my fingers/wide tooth comb, but these 4 just won't go away.

I know exactly why this happened and thus, won't be getting myself in this situation again. I took out my 2 week-old cornrows and was going to DC on dry hair last night (before which I don't normally detangle), but I decided I needed to shampoo (due to build-up), so I pre-poo'd with olive oil and honey overnight instead (with my hair loose). Basically, one half of my brain was operating on auto-pilot, forgetting that I had taken out cornrows and strayed from my normal routine. Today, I put my hair in 6 loose braids and shampooed with diluted castille soap. With my hair in the same 6 braids, I DCd with the usual (AOHSR, honey, TJNS) for about 2.5 hrs with heat. I got into the shower and rinsed out the DC but realized that I had yet to detangle :wallbash: ! I started saturating my hair in V05 tea therapy conditioner and got out the shower since I knew I wouldn't be able to withstand the lengthy detangling session I had ahead of me without nearly fainting. 3 hours laters and I was able to detangle the back half (about 3/4 of a fistful of hair lost) but still have these horrible knots in the front (from shed hair that wasn't detangled when I undid my cornrows).

Aside from cutting the knots out (they're about 2 in away from my scalp:nono:), what can I do get rid of them?

Please help. TIA.

wow....I'm so sorry about that....

That works for me too. Castor oil has done the trick for me too. Gosh I am so sorry you are going through this. I have gone through the same fiasco and it was very stressful at the time.
Have tried using a safety pin? I have read on other threads that has been helpful to others. hth

I agree with all of the above and I’ve also found that using a safety pin whilst detangling has helped me tremendously. Here’s a link: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?p=8512094

Thanks, ladies! With a needle in hand, I'm forging ahead! (Of course I can't locate a safety pin at the moment, go figure)

AWWWWW! I don't have any advice, but I do have an *e-hug* around here somewhere...

Oh...Here we go:

:giveheart:

feel better, you'll get through it.

At least it's a lesson learned.

I so feel you. My hair was a matted, horrid mess on Friday (I even took pics, I may have to upload). It took me about an hour and 10 minutes to detangle my hair (I'm a little over 20 weeks post relaxer). It was horrible, but I just had to take my time and use my fingers (which were well oiled by coconut oil) to gently pry the knots apart. I then followed up with a wide tooth comb. Good luck to you dear, they will come out. And just remember to learn from your mistakes so you don't have these knots again- I know I will!

agree with everyone one here. I pray that your successful in taking them out. Definitely detangle the knots in very small sections

<<<hugs>>>

Lots of us have been there. After a weave take down (me & DH) I did not detangle before washing and had a mess on my hands. I agree with everyone else, lots of patience and oil with strand by strand detangling.

Thanks Southern, Caramel, nikki, lady, cincy, cute and natural for your tips and consolation!

I've made some progress so far. The smaller knots are gone, but the big ones are still there (albeit slightly decreased in mass), I might have to give it a break and wait until tomorrow.

Here are some pics: (I know my hair look horrible; I'm transitioning and the bone straight relaxed portion it's drenched in oil.)
Knots

Detangled section

Last edited:
Sweetie those pics are HUGE. I can't really see what the knots look like, but I'm glad you're making progress. If you do decide to go to sleep, you may want to sleep with a plastic cap on so your hair doesn't dry out.

Please help. TIA.

If you can run in walgreens and don't mind putting on a hat, or sending someone else, this is the BEST thing I can recommend for anyone in this situation. I took braids out and washed my hair. HA! I didn't know about the whole locking thing. Usually I detangled first by habit but this was the first time I just jumped in the shower.

I had dread locks. I was hysterical. I tried conditioner in one knotted mess first, then oil, no chance.

Luckily I had bought this at walgreens by chance. Who knows why? It was on sale. Heck it's for kids. I was thinking of using it to get out the occasional tangle.

I reached for this product.
I saturated my head with this stuff and it was a miracle. Every lock loosened within a few minutes. Something that might have taken hours and tons of breakage without it

http://www.walgreens.com/store/store/product/product_details.jsp?id=prod11666

This product is worth it's weight in gold and will keep you from losing tons of hair that you want to keep on your head, even impossible knots.

Last edited:
Sweetie those pics are HUGE. I can't really see what the knots look like, but I'm glad you're making progress. If you do decide to go to sleep, you may want to sleep with a plastic cap on so your hair doesn't dry out.

Fixed! Sorry about that:grin: I'll definitely be sleeping in a plastic cap.

If you can run in walgreens and don't mind putting on a hat, or sending someone else, this is the BEST thing I can recommend for anyone in this situation. I took braids out and washed my hair. HA! I didn't know about the whole locking thing. Usually I detangled first by habit but this was the first time I just jumped in the shower.

I had dread locks. I was hysterical. I tried conditioner in one knotted mess first, then oil, no chance.

Luckily I had bought this at walgreens by chance. Who knows why? It was on sale. Heck it's for kids. I was thinking of using it to get out the occasional tangle.

I reached for this product.
I saturated my head with this stuff and it was a miracle. Every lock loosened within a few minutes. Something that might have taken hours and tons of breakage without it

http://www.walgreens.com/store/store/product/product_details.jsp?id=prod11666

This product is worth it's weight in gold and will keep you from losing tons of hair that you want to keep on your head, even impossible knots.
Thanks so much, Lucky. I'm almost sure my mom used this on my hair when I was a kid. *Checking the Walgreen's store locator* Zut! They closed at 12.

I'll be picking up this and the Mane & Tail in the morning (I think Silk Elements is BSS only but I'll check for it too).

Lord I know how you fele my first yound of briads was a knotted conditioned mess. I thought putting conditioner on the hair as you took them out each would help....big mistake...I was now told to take them out dry and detangle them before washing....But I just might have to pick up that just for me when I take these out in about 6 weeks lol....huggs Ms.Rosa...Let us know how it turns out in the am

Lord I know how you fele my first yound of briads was a knotted conditioned mess. I thought putting conditioner on the hair as you took them out each would help....big mistake...I was now told to take them out dry and detangle them before washing....But I just might have to pick up that just for me when I take these out in about 6 weeks lol....huggs Ms.Rosa...Let us know how it turns out in the am

It's worth getting for just in case emergencies. I'm a natural so I want to make sure that my hair detangles easily everytime. It's also cheap and can be found almost anywhere. I highly recommend.

I recommend coconut oil.

Saturate the knots with it. Also oil your scalp with it - get your fingers in there as much as you can, even with the knots there. For me it kind of helps give the hair a "pathway" to detangle, and if you do it regularly, it reduces the number of tangles that form in the future.

Wait a while.

When the oil / slippery detangler has soaked in, press the knot flat between the thumb and index and middle fingers of one hand. Then with your other hand, pull *one strand at a time* *gently* upwards and out of the knot. The pressing is to prevent the hair snapping off and to prevent those knots that can occur at the end of the hair when you try to detangle by splitting the section of hair downwards.

Good luck!

Thanks, ladies! With a needle in hand, I'm forging ahead! (Of course I can't locate a safety pin at the moment, go figure)

No worries, it’s my pleasure... It’s always the way that you can never find something when you need it! I’m so sorry this has happened, I can understand how frustrating it is, with all the great advice here you will definitely get your hair untangled, please keep us updated and good luck :)

I know everyone is giving great advice, but I'd just caution you about putting 5 different products on your hair. That is really likely to make it stickier and gooier and not help at all. I don't know if your hair is like mine, but I've tried most of the products listed in this thread and none of them are miracles. Tangles won't just undo themselves because of a product. Just find one that is slippery and not too sticky, keep some water nearby for when it starts to dry and become sticky (all silicone products will do this), or just use oil. I think it's more about technique than a magic product.

I know everyone is giving great advice, but I'd just caution you about putting 5 different products on your hair. That is really likely to make it stickier and gooier and not help at all. I don't know if your hair is like mine, but I've tried most of the products listed in this thread and none of them are miracles. Tangles won't just undo themselves because of a product. Just find one that is slippery and not too sticky, keep some water nearby for when it starts to dry and become sticky (all silicone products will do this), or just use oil. I think it's more about technique than a magic product.

I agree that technique matters but just like certain products make our hair better, I think certain products are miracles of sorts. Or else I would've had to chop off all of my hair last year because it was surely a matted mess before I used the just for me. Will you still have to detangle, yes. But will it be sooo much easier and start unmatting? Totally. 'At least that's what I found for me.

I do agree that you shouldn't try all things at once because it would be too much and cause too much buildup.

I went to sleep last night with olive oil on the knots and covered my hair with a plastic bag. I woke up this morning and voila! - the knots had melted away!:grin:

Then I woke up for real :look::yawn: and realized it was a dream.:blush::wallbash: This ish has permeated my subconscious, y'all!:spinning::nono::lachen:

I agree that technique matters but just like certain products make our hair better, I think certain products are miracles of sorts. Or else I would've had to chop off all of my hair last year because it was surely a matted mess before I used the just for me. Will you still have to detangle, yes. But will it be sooo much easier and start unmatting? Totally. 'At least that's what I found for me.

I do agree that you shouldn't try all things at once because it would be too much and cause too much buildup.

Duly noted. Last night, I washed the conditioner out of my hair and started using olive oil and coconut oil to detangle (I let this stay on overnight with a plastic bag). Today I went to Walgreens and got the Just for Me Detangler - I couldn't find any of the other products and figured I needed to choose one and stick to it before running all over to different BSS's. I've been letting that saturate and using the techniques suggested - one strand at a time, away and outward, patiently. I'm making progress, slowly but surely.

Once again, I really appreciate everyone's suggestions and concern! Thank you!

Back