Ladies who Rollerset, which is better? Wiremesh or Smooth Magnetic

mommatide

I just recently switched back to Magnetic rollers. My reason being, I felt the hot air of the dryer combined with the metal wire that my hair was wrapped around was contributing to the dryness and breakage of my hair. Also, you have to use end papers as well with mesh, and that is another drying element.

Well, I was quite pleased with the results of using magnetic rollers. I did not use end papers, My hair dried in the same amount of time, and the curl was smoother. It's been a few day's since I set my hair, and I have seen no short hair's(breakage), just a normal amount of shedding. Also, I have not experienced the dryness that had been normal after setting with those hot wire rollers.

Just wanted to share:)

I have tried the mesh rollers. Despite how fast my hair dries, it allows looked dry and had those mesh lines. I had to go back to magnetics for the smoother set. I was thinking about using a drill and drilling extra holes in my magnetic rollers to see if it would speed up drying time.

I always use mesh rollers when I rollerset my own hair. They work great on my hair. My hair is very thick, and mesh rollers allow my hair to dry much faster. I haven't had any problems with mesh rollers leaving any lines / dents in my hair.

I like the mesh rollers because it cuts drying time in half. I use end papers so I never experience any wire marks or dryness. The magnetic rollers tend to leave parts on my scalp and doesn't leave my hair with as much body as I like.

Magnetic for me, all the way... I really think they help my hair hold in moisture, along with allowing it to airdry.

KiSseS03 said:
Magnetic for me, all the way... I really think they help my hair hold in moisture, along with allowing it to airdry.

Same here, I just could not work with the mesh rollers at all. I gave my mesh rollers away.

I have used both and like both. I have been using mesh ones more recently because the dry time is shorter. I don't get wire lines though. I use end papers with both.

What am I doing wrong? Why am I the only one getting mesh lines? Do you all sleep in the wire mesh rollers or dry under the dryer? I normally use end papers and sleep in the rollers. Maybe this is why I get mesh lines.

I like both of them actually, the only thing about the mesh rollers is that I see the mesh lines, and can't figure out for the life of me how to angle the pins, other than that they dry much faster and the lines don't really bother me. The magnetic rollers do give a more smoother look, the drying time is a little longer but my hair tends to stick to them better allowing my rolling time to be quicker. I still get shine, and softness w/them both.

There are plastic mesh rollers out there where you don't have to use end papers and the hair will come out smooth. They sell them at rite-aid.

I couldn't use the mesh rollers. No matter what way I used the pins it wouldn't stay in. My hair got to be a tangled mess as well. I've been using magnetics as long as I have been relaxed and I'm a pro at it. Magnetics all the way.

I like the magnetic rollers better, I can sleep with them in my hair and it doesn't take me as long to roller set my hair. With the mesh rollers, my hair never stuck to the roller unless I used end papers and I can't sleep with those rollers in my hair because of the pins.

If I used the mesh rollers, I believe it may have been only once or twice (b/c I could never position them right). As for myself I use the smooth magnetic rollers with the clips and it works wonders. Even if I have to sleep in them, as long as I do take my time and do them, it's really no too much of a problem (not an everynite occurence). Trial and error is what I say, that's how you will truly know what works and doesn't.....Lots of luck!

CM

THANK'S LADIES FOR YOUR INPUT. I WILL BE USING THE MAGNETIC, BUT THE ONE CHALLENGE I HAVE WITH THEM IS GETTING GOOD TENSION WITH THOSE CLIP'S. IT NEVER SEEMS SECURE ENOUGH UNLESS I PIGGY-BACK THE ROLLERS, AND I DON'T LIKE THEM TO BE THAT CLOSE. WITH MESH, THE PIN'S ALLOW YOU TO HAVE MORE CONTROL ON TIGHTNESS AND YOU CAN SPACE THEM NICELY. ANYWHO, I GUESS YOU CAN'T HAVE IT ALL.

I only rollerset using the plastic mesh rollers. These rollers give a nice smooth set.

mommatide said:
THANK'S LADIES FOR YOUR INPUT. I WILL BE USING THE MAGNETIC, BUT THE ONE CHALLENGE I HAVE WITH THEM IS GETTING GOOD TENSION WITH THOSE CLIP'S. IT NEVER SEEMS SECURE ENOUGH UNLESS I PIGGY-BACK THE ROLLERS, AND I DON'T LIKE THEM TO BE THAT CLOSE. WITH MESH, THE PIN'S ALLOW YOU TO HAVE MORE CONTROL ON TIGHTNESS AND YOU CAN SPACE THEM NICELY. ANYWHO, I GUESS YOU CAN'T HAVE IT ALL.

I use the mesh rollers because I also am not able to get good tension with the magnetic. I've never had trouble with the mesh lines and I don't use end papers. I have found that the setting lotion makes a difference in how the set with mesh rolles comes out though.

Sometimes, with the x-large mesh rollers I have, the wires spread apart while I am rolling, so I would like to be able to use both mesh and magnetic. Does anyone have tips on getting better tension with the magnetic?

I really want to try out the mesh rollers! I just saw them at Sally's they had the jumbo size too, I will be trying these because I really didn't have luck with the magnetic.

Magnetic rollers or me...but i use roller clips instead of the covers that come with them, I don't like roller marks. I feel that my hair lies smoother on the magnetic rollers.

mommatide said:

I use magnetic and always get a really smooth set. I had the problem you described with the clips at first, but I found a solution. Rolling up instead of down allowed me to secure the rollers better with the clips. You can clip the roller to the base of the hair, and they don't move at all.

lauren450 said:
I use magnetic and always get a really smooth set. I had the problem you described with the clips at first, but I found a solution. Rolling up instead of down allowed me to secure the rollers better with the clips. You can clip the roller to the base of the hair, and they don't move at all.

Lauren, when you roll up, does your hair have a flip to it? What do you do when you take the rollers out, do you wrap your hair or leave it curly?

I have both and use mainly magnetics. I use wire mesh when I'm kinda far along post touch-up. I can get my roots a little straighter because the mesh ones allow me to pull it more taught.

Ladylynn said:
Lauren, when you roll up, does your hair have a flip to it? What do you do when you take the rollers out, do you wrap your hair or leave it curly?

No, it doesn't flip. It looks kind of like large, fat spiral curls. I also found that my roots were less puffy doing it that way. I wrapped it this time around, and I loved the result. I just put pics in my album. Here are a couple:

http://images12.fotki.com/v253/free/32fd5/7/766575/2959908/2005_1218party0036-th.jpg
http://images14.fotki.com/v258/free/32fd5/7/766575/2959908/2005_1218party0043-th.jpg
http://images15.fotki.com/v246/free/32fd5/7/766575/2959908/2005_1218party0059-th.jpg

lauren450 said:
No, it doesn't flip. It looks kind of like large, fat spiral curls. I also found that my roots were less puffy doing it that way. I wrapped it this time around, and I loved the result. I just put pics in my album. Here are a couple:

http://images12.fotki.com/v253/free/32fd5/7/766575/2959908/2005_1218party0036-th.jpg
http://images14.fotki.com/v258/free/32fd5/7/766575/2959908/2005_1218party0043-th.jpg
http://images15.fotki.com/v246/free/32fd5/7/766575/2959908/2005_1218party0059-th.jpg

Okay, I understand now. Your hair is really pretty and thick.

CinnaMocha said:
Kitchen,

I never would have considered the method you did with the mesh rollers, very interesting

I got tired of "fumbling" with those pins and I couldn't get the rollers taught enough and I really needed them pulled tightly since I'm transitioning. So I just popped one of the plastic pieces on and it fit nicely. A couple of them kept popping off, but I forced them to fit. Now the snaps are a little looser, but I don't mind, because I like the results of using the mesh and the plastic snaps together.

lauren450 said:

I NEVER CONSIERED THIS BUT I WILL GIVE IT A TRY THIS WEEK.

THANK'S

I like the big magnetic ones, I could not really get down with the mesh ones. I could not get my hair to "stay down". I just stick to what I know, lol.

Back