Ladies that use natural products...

classychic1908

What's your favorite moisturizing gel? I'm looking for a product that is water based, similar to activator gel. Something that gives control but with lots of moisture. Does it exist or is this wishful thinking?

TIA

Thanks ladies for the responses.

I have aloe gel and it's ok, but it doesn't have enough moisture or hold for me. I think what I'm looking for probably has aloe, glycerin, and some other stuff in it. I love KCCC, with oil and conditioner underneath. I'm looking for something that gives me similar results in one product.

i use afroveda i think its called whipped gelly but it has a little hold...lots of aloe, coconut, sweet almond oil and its smells like cake batter,lol.

:bump: for the both of us--I'm on the hunt for an alternative to KCCC myself. I'd be interested in hearing from more ladies who use the Afroveda PUR Whipped Gelly...it's on my short list right now...

i love hairveda whipped gelly but it doesnt have too much hold. afroveda gelly is similar with more hold.

I have aloe gel and it's ok, but it doesn't have enough moisture or hold for me. I think what I'm looking for probably has aloe, glycerin, and some other stuff in it. I love KCCC, with oil and conditioner underneath. I'm looking for something that gives me similar results in one product.

I was going to say KCCC but I see you have already tried that.

Yeah, I don't know about this one, I didn't think it existed until I found KCCC; I had given up on using gel. The KCCC works well for me and I don't mind havin to put oil/conditioner underneath because I apply one of these whether I was using the gel or not.

If you are not wedded to gel you could try some of the natural styling lotions that are styling products and conditioner in one. Blended Beauty has several as well as Curls (I think Curls has a gel now as well). I have tried the Blended Beauty Styling Lotion. I really like the Blended Beauty line. The styling lotion is very moisturizing and it has good hold. I have heard mixed reviews on the Curls gel it might be worth a try. HTH

The fantasia IC gel with sparklites is basically a natural product. The one cone it has is water soluble, plus it contains, glyercin and aloe vera as the first few ingredients. Otherwise it really does not have a lot of ingredients.

Ingredients:
Purified WaterAqua , Glycerin , Carbomer , Triethanolamine , Aloe Vera Gel , Dimethicone Copolyol , Tocopherol Acetate , Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein , Polysorbate-20 , Benzopehonoe-4 , Methylchloroisothiazolinone , Methylisothiazolinone , Disodiium EDTA , Fragrance

Purified WaterAqua
Glycerin
Carbomer: Gel
Triethanolamine and Polysorbate-20: emulsifier
Aloe Vera Gel
Dimethicone Copolyol and Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein : water soluble cone
Tocopherol Acetate: Vitamin e
Benzopehonoe-4: UV protection aka sunscreen
Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone and Disodium EDTA: Preservatives
Fragrance

Last edited:

I know you said you were looking for a PRODUCT that does all of this, but have you considered making your own mix with the natural ingredients that you want in it? Like maybe the aloe gel, glycerin, and an oil or something... Just play with measurements until you find something that your hair likes. :yep:

I know you said you were looking for a PRODUCT that does all of this, but have you considered making your own mix with the natural ingredients that you want in it? Like maybe the aloe gel, glycerin, and an oil or something... Just play with measurements until you find something that your hair likes. :yep:

I have been tooling around with the idea for a while. I made one botched attempt at making flax seed gel from a recipe on naturallycurly.com

After seeing how simple the KCCC ingredients are and the other gels that I have liked in the past... I'm sure it can be done. I just haven't had the patience to keep trying. I won't rule it out for the future though.

Maybe, someone will chime in with a great recipe that has worked for them, now that would be great!

Mix it! I'm the queen of mixing, lol.

I mix Aloe Vera Gel and Pure Raw Organic Shea Butter. It lays my edges down flat for my and keeps my kitchen straight (semi curly, not kinky).

Sometimes I spray a little rosewater or coconut water on first. Rub in some Aloe Vear gel. The build in some shea butter if i want to do a bun or pony. Sometimes I whip is all together with my kitchenaid mixer. I just warm the shea butter on about 10 seconds in the microwave to soften it.

Another trick is to take that warm shea butter and mix in your favorite conditioner like Organix or Aubrey Organic Honeysuckle Rose. Use it as a pomade or leave it. Your hair will thank you. Keeps it healthy and moisturized. It will laid down flat if you use more shea butter than conditioner.

I was going to say KCCC but I see you have already tried that.

Yeah, I don't know about this one, I didn't think it existed until I found KCCC; I had given up on using gel. The KCCC works well for me and I don't mind havin to put oil/conditioner underneath because I apply one of these whether I was using the gel or not.

If you are not wedded to gel you could try some of the natural styling lotions that are styling products and conditioner in one. Blended Beauty has several as well as Curls (I think Curls has a gel now as well). I have tried the Blended Beauty Styling Lotion. I really like the Blended Beauty line. The styling lotion is very moisturizing and it has good hold. I have heard mixed reviews on the Curls gel it might be worth a try. HTH

Thanks for the ideas.

I haven't tried many lotions, the few I tried did little for my hair. I do love KCCC, it's just so expensive and I've been trying to simplify the steps in my routine as well. Right now it's still my go to gel.

I just wonder if there isn't an all natural product that is similar to Long Aid or Smooth n Shine activator gels...

The fantasia IC gel with sparklites is basically a natural product. The one cone it has is water soluble, plus it contains, glyercin and aloe vera as the first few ingredients. Otherwise it really does not have a lot of ingredients.

Ingredients:
Purified WaterAqua , Glycerin , Carbomer , Triethanolamine , Aloe Vera Gel , Dimethicone Copolyol , Tocopherol Acetate , Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein , Polysorbate-20 , Benzopehonoe-4 , Methylchloroisothiazolinone , Methylisothiazolinone , Disodiium EDTA , Fragrance

Purified WaterAqua
Glycerin
Carbomer: Gel
Triethanolamine and Polysorbate-20: emulsifier
Aloe Vera Gel
Dimethicone Copolyol and Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein : water soluble cone
Tocopherol Acetate: Vitamin e
Benzopehonoe-4: UV protection aka sunscreen
Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone and Disodium EDTA: Preservatives
Fragrance

Thanks for the suggestions. I think the ingredient list is a little less natural than what I'm hoping to find.

I tried it once when I was trying everything and it made my hair very shrinky and hard. I did get tons of compliments on the shine and the way my hair looked. It's still in my stash...

Mix it! I'm the queen of mixing, lol.

I mix Aloe Vera Gel and Pure Raw Organic Shea Butter. It lays my edges down flat for my and keeps my kitchen straight (semi curly, not kinky).

Sometimes I spray a little rosewater or coconut water on first. Rub in some Aloe Vear gel. The build in some shea butter if i want to do a bun or pony. Sometimes I whip is all together with my kitchenaid mixer. I just warm the shea butter on about 10 seconds in the microwave to soften it.

Another trick is to take that warm shea butter and mix in your favorite conditioner like Organix or Aubrey Organic Honeysuckle Rose. Use it as a pomade or leave it. Your hair will thank you. Keeps it healthy and moisturized. It will laid down flat if you use more shea butter than conditioner.

This sounds yummy...but does the shea butter leave your hair feeling greasy?

I've been using KCCC

Thanks for the suggestions. I think the ingredient list is a little less natural than what I'm hoping to find.

I tried it once when I was trying everything and it made my hair very shrinky and hard. I did get tons of compliments on the shine and the way my hair looked. It's still in my stash...

You know if you don't mind making your own gel I have heard great things about homemade flax seed gel. Some have said it is comparable to KCCC. I know you can find a recipe if you do a search on naturallycurly.com. There might also be a recipe in a thread on this site as well. From what I remember it is not hard to make.

You know if you don't mind making your own gel I have heard great things about homemade flax seed gel. Some have said it is comparable to KCCC. I know you can find a recipe if you do a search on naturallycurly.com. There might also be a recipe in a thread on this site as well. From what I remember it is not hard to make.

I tried making FSG once and it turned out really runny and goopy, and it did nothing for my hair. I still have lots of seeds, freeze dried aloe, wheat protein, glycerin, ect. that I can play around with for add ins.... hmmmm

I think I'm going to do some more research and give it another shot this weekend.

Donna Marie MiraCurl Gelly.

Ingredients: Purified water, aloe vera juice, vegetable glycerin, Provitamin B-5, avocado oil, Linseed extract, herbal infusion of plantago extract, Rosemary, Slippery elm and hibiscus, xanthan gum, alkanet root, potassium sorbate, silver citrate, citric acid and fragrance.

i also love KCCC (my first love in fact! ) but found Donna Marie MiraCurl to offer a shorter drying time, great clumping and moisture.

CoilsKinksCurls does a lovely you tube review of this product.

http://www.youtube.com/user/CoilsKinksCurls

HTH

Oh, forgot to add AOMM (Aubrey Organics Mandarin Magic Gelly).

Ingredients: Water, Panthenol (B-5), Aloe Vera Gel, Tragacanth and Gum arabic Blend, Ginkgo Leaf, Ginseng Root, Chinese Magnolia Blossoms, Chinese Angelica, Chrysanthemum, Earth Smoke, Morus Root and Mandarin Orange Peel. Preserved with Citrus Seed Extract.

This is a wonderful, natural "mixing" gel, although for some i'm sure it can stand alone. It's consistency is similar to that of KCCC, perhaps a tad thicker, less sticky, nice fresh scent. I mix it with almost every gel i use.

I will try to post pics this weekend for you to see.

Oh, forgot to add AOMM (Aubrey Organics Mandarin Magic Gelly).

Ingredients: Water, Panthenol (B-5), Aloe Vera Gel, Tragacanth and Gum arabic Blend, Ginkgo Leaf, Ginseng Root, Chinese Magnolia Blossoms, Chinese Angelica, Chrysanthemum, Earth Smoke, Morus Root and Mandarin Orange Peel. Preserved with Citrus Seed Extract.

This is a wonderful, natural "mixing" gel, although for some i'm sure it can stand alone. It's consistency is similar to that of KCCC, perhaps a tad thicker, less sticky, nice fresh scent. I mix it with almost every gel i use.

I will try to post pics this weekend for you to see.

I've been curious about that one for a while (AOMMG). hmmm Is it a light hold? What about moisture?

I find AOMM to have a very light hold. i personally like a bit more 'ummph' to my gel, thus mixing it with others to get desired hold and hopes of that mythical second day hair. i also find it moisturizing. it has never left my hair dry or with flakes. Please note i always use a leave in cond (Giovanni leave in direct). i've mixed it with everything from fantasic ic gel, ecostyler, la looks (drying for me), KCCC, MiraCurl...name a gel, i've likely mixed it :grin:

Many who fancy a lighter hold gel favor Qhemet Honeybush Tea Soft Hold Gel (can't recall if this was already mentioned, apologies if it was). Sadly, it did nothing for me in terms of moisture or hold.

At great risk of irritating you all with natural gel suggestions, i forgot one more. Curl Junkie, Curl Assurance Aloe Fix Hair Styling Gel

Ingredients: Water, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Glycerin, Carbomer, Panthenol, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil, Triethanolamine, Citrus Limonium (Lemon) Oil, Citrus Sinensis (Sweet Orange) Oil, Zingiber Officinale (Ginger) Oil, Pelargonium Graveolens (Geranium) Oil, Phenoxyethanol, Caprylyl Glycol, Fragrance.

This is another soft hold gel which yields a lot of moisture. It's consistency is a bit different. It's thick and gelatin like, yet light at the same time. Once emulsified and applied to hair, I rewet my hair. This seems to 'activate' most of the Curl Junkie products. Unfortunately this too is an online purchase. Due to its high glycerin content, i tend to use it more in warmer temperatures. If you want voluminous, yet defined hair, this is a product to try. As with AOMM, i usually apply a thin layer of KCCC over this gel. KCCC yields the ummph i seek, but MiraCurls seems to be a strong contender for this title. i'll let you know upon further experimentation.

www.curljunkie.com

Back