Ladies,let's talk about this one word- JUDGING

• Thread starter Thread starter Bublnbrnsuga
  • Start date Start date
B

Bublnbrnsuga

I want to hear your thoughts. What is judging in the world and according to the Bible? Should one not say that someone/something is wrong, because that would be 'judging?' I really want us to talk about this because it seems that when you don't agree with someone or their actions and you confront them about it, someone always wants to bring up 'judging.'

For me I think the fight between "good" and "evil" comes into play when people do things that are not morally right, and expect you to accept it. For instance, gay marriage. I don't believe in it, but I have always been a person to mind my business. What you do in your house is your business, but when it affects me/, trying to make society accepting of something that is morally wrong, therefore having to explain to a child why are 2 women or men kissing, and instituing laws to accept it, that is when I have something to say about it.

I also think there is a difference between telling someone they are an awful person, and they are going to hell and walking away from them, versus telling someone you don't agree with there behavior and trying to help them or show them a better way.

Bublnbrnsuga said:
I want to hear your thoughts. What is judging in the world and according to the Bible? Should one not say that someone/something is wrong, because that would be 'judging?' I really want us to talk about this because it seems that when you don't agree with someone or their actions and you confront them about it, someone always wants to bring up 'judging.'

It is simply passing judgement on others, because of their actions, situation. I can be brave enough to say I have done this...I AM SO NOT PROUD OF IT. Not in a bad way all the time though. I have had people judge me too but! GOD knows my story so that is all that matters to me.

I believe it was Maya Angelo who said " What people think about me is none of my Business"

1 Corinthians 5: 9I have written you in my letter not to associate with sexually immoral people— 10not at all meaning the people of this world who are immoral, or the greedy and swindlers, or idolaters. In that case you would have to leave this world. 11But now I am writing you that you must not associate with anyone who calls himself a brother but is sexually immoral or greedy, an idolater or a slanderer, a drunkard or a swindler. With such a man do not even eat. 12What business is it of mine to judge those outside the church? Are you not to judge those inside? 13God will judge those outside.

John 3: 17For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him. 18Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because he has not believed in the name of God's one and only Son.

Galatians 5: 19Now the works of the flesh are evident: sexual immorality, impurity, sensuality, 20idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, rivalries, dissensions, divisions, 21envy, drunkenness, orgies, and things like these. I warn you, as I warned you before, that those who do such things will not inherit the kingdom of God. 22But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law. 24And those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires.

Matthew 7: 1"Stop judging others, and you will not be judged. 2For others will treat you as you treat them. Whatever measure you use in judging others, it will be used to measure how you are judged. 3And why worry about a speck in your friend's eye when you have a log in your own? 4How can you think of saying, `Let me help you get rid of that speck in your eye,' when you can't see past the log in your own eye? 5Hypocrite! First get rid of the log from your own eye; then perhaps you will see well enough to deal with the speck in your friend's eye. 6"Don't give what is holy to unholy people. Don't give pearls to swine! They will trample the pearls, then turn and attack you.

Ephesians 4: 2Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love. 3Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace.

I hope this sums it up a bit concerning judging.

Last edited:
I think that judging is subjective, but judging does not have a positive, for most.

For instance, I find that homosexuality goes against all things Godly; the bible, as I have interpreted for myself, makes it clear that homosexuality is wrong. However, I have friends who are gay. One might ask, well...how can you have friends who are gay, when you believe that homosexuality is wrong?

Easy, I don't judge the person. I recognize that their lifestyle is not something that I condone, or would partake in myself, but God and God alone has the right to judge and sentence them. I can only pray for their salvation.

Does this make sense?

I feel that I can judge anyone I want to by my standards. You don't necesarily have to agree and I would NEVER try to pursuade others to think the way I think. I try to keep myself in line. It is a personal thing and I wouldn't try to tear anyone down or build other's up but I feel we all have our personal right to judge other's to keep ourself in line.

We can all agree to disagree.

Eta: Judging is not always negative.

Makes perfect sense to me webby. :yep:

God and only God has the right to judge those who are living in habitual sin or who are living worldy (how some put it). It's not my place to do so, but to love them with the love God has shed in my heart and pray for their salvation. The word says that those who choose not to believe are already condemned, so I believe that it is a moot point to go around judging and condemning those who the Bible says are already condemned. This doesn't mean that you have to just keep a guard over your mouth and not try to witness to the lost, but in witnessing to the lost or those who have gone astray...the key is doing it with love.

Now, I don't know if the question was posed about judging those who are of the world only or those who profess to being Christians as well. :perplexed Then, in that case you run into a whole 'nother topic.

Great responses to the post ladies. :up:

Dreamgurl, wonderful scriptures, but where did you find these scriptures? I would like to know so I can minister to my friend. :)

Edited to say: Thanks for providing the scripture references dreamgurl. :kiss: I'm going to study these tonight. :)

Last edited:
I apologize for not providing the scripture references.

Here they are in the order they were written.

1. 1 Corinthians 5:9-13 (NIV)

2. John 3:17-18 (NIV)

3. Galatians 5:19-24 (ESV)

4. Matthew 7:1-6 (NLT)

5. Ephesians 4:2-3 (NIV)

beverly said:
For me I think the fight between "good" and "evil" comes into play when people do things that are not morally right, and expect you to accept it. For instance, gay marriage. I don't believe in it, but I have always been a person to mind my business. What you do in your house is your business, but when it affects me/, trying to make society accepting of something that is morally wrong, therefore having to explain to a child why are 2 women or men kissing, and instituing laws to accept it, that is when I have something to say about it.

I also think there is a difference between telling someone they are an awful person, and they are going to hell and walking away from them, versus telling someone you don't agree with there behavior and trying to help them or show them a better way.

Exactly! I agree with everything you've stated here!

webby said:
I think that judging is subjective, but judging does not have a positive, for most.

For instance, I find that homosexuality goes against all things Godly; the bible, as I have interpreted for myself, makes it clear that homosexuality is wrong. However, I have friends who are gay. One might ask, well...how can you have friends who are gay, when you believe that homosexuality is wrong?

Easy, I don't judge the person. I recognize that their lifestyle is not something that I condone, or would partake in myself, but God and God alone has the right to judge and sentence them. I can only pray for their salvation.

Does this make sense?

I agree!! That is why people lose focus on their own lives; they are to busy judging others. I have judged in the past, and then have had to catch myself. Its none of my damn biz what someone else is doing, or how they conduct themselves...unless of course It is a family member...but even then I have to have boundaries.

Actually as Christians we are called to judge. We are not to judge a persons heart, but we are to judge their actions, their "fruit".
We are called to discern good from evil. To judge what is morally right or wrong. If your 12 year old is hanging around with a gang member, as a parent it is your responsibility to make a judgement and set rules to stay away.

The "judge not scripture" Deals with judging people for the very same behavior you are engaging in. "Remove the log from your eye then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye". Doesnt say not to address his speck, says to address your own issues first. How am I going to tell you not to commit adultery and I'm stepping out on my husband? The same way I judge you I will be judged as well. If I'm doing something I have the head knowledge to know is wrong it is my responsibility to repent. If I am not in that situation it is my responsibility to speak to you on the matter, to keep you stong in the faith so you do not fall or by your example cause others to fall.

There are different words that are translated as judge that have different subtle meanings. People who what to justify their behavior will throw that "judge not" scripture at you as a means to continue doing whatever they like but dont be deceived.

I will see if I can find some online resources for this because its a lot to go into and a lot of things seem to contradict themselves because of the translation.

Enchantmt said:
Actually as Christians we are called to judge. We are not to judge a persons heart, but we are to judge their actions, their "fruit".
We are called to discern good from evil. To judge what is morally right or wrong. If your 12 year old is hanging around with a gang member, as a parent it is your responsibility to make a judgement and set rules to stay away.

This makes sense to me. There's a necessary amount of "judging" (a 12 year old shouldn't be hanging out with a gang member) and "prejudging" (if I stick my hand on the hot stove, I'll get burned) required to keep oneself and one's loved ones out of harm's way. Judging one's actions seems distinctly different from judging the worth of the person due to her/his actions.

It gets to be a problem when one hates the sinner along with the sin. I don't want to point fingers (in judgment, lol), so I'll stick to myself. In a different thread, I gave the examples of pedophiles. I'd be lying if I said that I had compassion for adult sexual predators although I despised their sinful acts (i.e., hate the sin, not the sinner). My compassion lies with the child victim(s). However, Christians are still people, imperfect people, living in a fallen world...and pointing the finger at someone else always causes a closer scrutiny of the flawed nature of one's own life.

Enchantmt said:
There are different words that are translated as judge that have different subtle meanings. People who what to justify their behavior will throw that "judge not" scripture at you as a means to continue doing whatever they like but dont be deceived.

I will see if I can find some online resources for this because its a lot to go into and a lot of things seem to contradict themselves because of the translation.

I totally disagree that people who raise the "judge not" scripture want to justify their behavior and continue heading down the wrong path. Some people may use the scripture for that purpose...just as some may take other passages, such as Mark 7, to justify their behavior (constantly judging others). I do agree that there are different words that are translated as judge that have shades of meanings. I look forward to reading whatever research you may find on this. :)

I still believe that the symbolism of the speck and the log in one's/neighbor's eye has to do with the magnitude of egregiousness and not necessarily with permission to judge others for sins one hasn't committed. But I am still reading/learning the Bible, and I am open to the fact that more will be revealed.

It seems like those who go around *constantly* judging others have this need to do it, despite being imperfect and sinful themselves. Why don't they give equal/more time to this:
dreamgurl said:
Galatians 5: 19Now the works of the flesh are evident: sexual immorality, impurity, sensuality, 20idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, rivalries, dissensions, divisions, 21envy, drunkenness, orgies, and things like these. I warn you, as I warned you before, that those who do such things will not inherit the kingdom of God. 22But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law. 24And those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires.
Perhaps because it's easier to judge others than to work on one's own shortcomings?

Enchantmt said:

The "judge not scripture" Deals with judging people for the very same behavior you are engaging in. "Remove the log from your eye then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye". Doesnt say not to address his speck, says to address your own issues first. How am I going to tell you not to commit adultery and I'm stepping out on my husband? The same way I judge you I will be judged as well. If I'm doing something I have the head knowledge to know is wrong it is my responsibility to repent. If I am not in that situation it is my responsibility to speak to you on the matter, to keep you stong in the faith so you do not fall or by your example cause others to fall.

Exactly!:yep:

Yes...

I will mention when something is wrong, but I won't try to condemn a person.

I also try not to talk down on people and their situations. I've done that so many times and found myself in that exact same situation. I usually keep my mouth shut on what people are doing, unless someone has done something to me. I had to learn that lesson the hard way. I won't even let people do it in lieu of me. For example, my mother used to dog out a coworkers niece for having a child with some dog and I was like, ok, please stop talking about her, I don't want you putting that on me. :look: (did that make sense).

webby said:

Does this make sense?

Last edited:
Honeyhips said:
Yes...

I will mention when something is wrong, but I won't try to condemn a person.

I also try not to talk down on people and their situations. I've done that so many times and found myself in that exact same situation. I usually keep my mouth shut on what people are doing, unless someone has done something to me. I had to learn that lesson the hard way. I won't even let people do it in lieu of me. For example, my mother used to dog out a coworkers niece for having a child with some dog and I was like, ok, please stop talking about her, I don't want you putting that on me. :look: (did that make sense).
That made perfect sense and I admit that it's difficult to not judge, as it seems quite a human characteristic, but I feel so much better about ME when I catch myself and refrain from judging.

Good post!
Enchantmt said:

To me judging is not wrong when we are using Christs' standards or just plain going by His judgement.
Do I have gay friends? Yes. Is that lifestyle and abomination? Yes. Because I said so? NO. I'm not Christ. He has already judged such things. But If I apply my own measuring stick then I'm wrong.
If I am hypocritical then I'm wrong. The whole verse about judging that people so often bring up and then take out of context talks about judging someone else for the same thing that you are doing.
So. Do I judge. Yes. It has kept me safe many a times and will continue to do so in the future. So does everyone else. It's a necessity. If we didn't judge our schools would be surrounded by pedophiles day and night. But we as a society have put our foot down and said that perverts are sexual deviants and are wrong and we have put those judgements into action by not letting them near our children and enacted laws to keep them away.

Do I use my own criteria. No. I don't have that right. Christ has given me criteria to live and judge by.

I don't see why judging is always seen as a bad thing. It can be bad and it can be okay.

Judging is just having an opinion about something whether it's an agreeing opinion or disagreeing opinion. There's nothing wrong with having a strong disapproval of something you think is wrong or something God declares as wrong. Everyone has disapprovals of certain behaviors/actions ... especially bad behaviors/actions.

Judging can be bad if you are being hypocritical. An example used in the Bible "take the plank out of your eye before trying to take the one out of another." If you're talking about how wrong something is and you're doing it, that's hypocritical.

Judging can be bad if you condemn that person to Hell for their wrongdoing. The only way someone is going to Hell is if they are a reprobate and do not believe in Jesus as the Son of God & Savior of our sins (a Christian belief).

Poohbear said:
I don't see why judging is always seen as a bad thing. It can be bad and it can be okay.

Judging is just having an opinion about something whether it's an agreeing opinion or disagreeing opinion. There's nothing wrong with having a strong disapproval of something you think is wrong or something God declares as wrong. Everyone has disapprovals of certain behaviors/actions ... especially bad behaviors/actions.

Judging can be bad if you are being hypocritical. An example used in the Bible "take the plank out of your eye before trying to take the one out of another." If you're talking about how wrong something is and you're doing it, that's hypocritical.

Judging can be bad if you condemn that person to Hell for their wrongdoing. The only way someone is going to Hell is if they are a reprobate and do not believe in Jesus as the Son of God & Savior of our sins (a Christian belief).

I agree . I do think it is bad though if you are not doing something and you condemn somebody who is! It is not up to us to judge anyone. We are not GOD. That is why see something I do not agree with. I just leave it there- dont agree but not say oh he/she is going to perish. I have in the past, and then felt ashamed that I even had the nerve to judge someone else. I believe people need to mind their own business unless asked for their opinions.

I remember right before I was getting married ( during the wedding planning process) a friend told me that I should wait for GOD to send me someone...meaning I should not marry my DH. I said that if GOD didn't want me to marry my Husband we would not marry. I believe that GOd removes people/habits/things out of your life..that are not good for you. All the the time she was telling me this her mother was fornicating...yet she has the nerve to preach to me...plus sister was doing a little bit of her own thing too.

Enchantmt said:

I agree 100%!

Back