LADIES HOW DO YOU GET OVER THE SHOULDER

tryingto

hump , to inch towards APL, and how do you get the fat ponytail, I want one, growing from my scalp of course,:lol:

I think some ladies said they used protective styles to get past shoulder length, since the ends of the hair rubbing on clothes can cause breakage and shedding. I'm not an expert though so don't quote me on that. ;)

SkinnyMocah said:
I think some ladies said they used protective styles to get past shoulder length, since the ends of the hair rubbing on clothes can cause breakage and shedding. I'm not an expert though so don't quote me on that. ;)

i've heard this too. maybe u can try a cute side bun or a nice updo. sistaslick does a nice chinese bun, i think she made a thread about it. ill search.

Don't cut your hair:lol: :lol:

I was so close to APL then Locks had to go and trim her hair. That was it for me. I went and trimmed mines to. I'm happy about it though because I have bonce hair without frizzy ends. I'm still close to APL but not as close. I think I need to change my Sig because I'm not going to make it to APL in June.

I am doing protective styling, just feeling a little anxious, I know I will get their, patience is key,
OT Dlewis, I love your hair:)

getting passed the shoulder hump from what i hear is the hardest. protective styling is key. girl, i want the big pony also. be patient mami, it will come. ;)

Im going to braid it up until I get to a little past(because I know Im going to have to cut the ends and I want to be right at apl when I do) APL

Hopefully she can fit me in next week.

I passed the shoulders with a lot of cornrow styles and just keeping my hair up when I was at home.

I am still struggling a little with part of my kitchen still brushing shoulders and breaking. but the hair above that has taken off.

So you gotta do protective styles???:confused:

(SHOOT!!!)

I think APL can be attained this year's end, but me no likey protective styles.:nono:

But a gurl's gotta do what a gurl's gotta do.:look:

I haven't been APL since college, many moons ago...

Looking forward to it!

I stretched (not consciously) and it was braided up for almost 6 months. Before the braids I got it trimmed even around the back (which was very uneven) and that bought me to exactly shoulder length. When I took the braids out my hair was 2 inches on my back. I wish I had found this board back then, I'd be APL already. But I definately feel like I'm going to make it this year.

AKA-Tude said:
So you gotta do protective styles???:confused:

(SHOOT!!!)

I think APL can be attained this year's end, but me no likey protective styles.:nono:

But a gurl's gotta do what a gurl's gotta do.:look:

I haven't been APL since college, many moons ago...

Looking forward to it!

I so feel you on this...I do not like protective styles. I guess its a necessary evil...

I plan to keep cornrow, moisturized, and MTG my way to and pass APL plus my vitamins (Biotin, HSN and Viviscal)!:p

Cornrows worked for me. I kept it baggied and cornrowed and got over the hump. This was very hard for me because I like to play with my hair.:(

I'm right there with you as well. I'm past shoulder and have been for some time, but I don't seem to be getting any closer to APL. I'm tall with a big head and long neck :lol: but still, it seems to be taking so long. I've been trying to get to APL for nearly a year. I did trim during that time, but again, it just seems like I'm not making any progress. I need to change my siggy, too, because July 07 is not happening. Bumping it back to July 08. :(

drink lots of water and take at least a multivitamin. I notice my nails are growing fast as well. im new to this and this is what i noticed from my own experience.

well those quick weave wigs and keeping it braided did it for me. I think Protective styling is the only way.

Shoot! I'm tall. Although APL is my year end goal, it seems sooooooo far away. If only that witch hadn't cut my hair in Dec the road would look brighter. I'm going to keep on keeping on though. We'll get there ladies. Let's try to keep the hair up of the shoulders.

SkinnyMocah said:

Exactly. Pin it up!

Was hoping to get past this shoulder hump by my next relaxer in August but I dont think I will make it there. I had a big trim last week thats why I think I might not make it. It blows because you would think after a year of hair care and only one month really of using heat my hair would be long by now. All I can say is that its a lot healthy. I planned on getting cornrows for the summer but I dont want the manipulation....can't decide. Rollersetting will me my protective style

to get from shoulder to apl I stretched for about 4-5 months wearing my hair in buns and sew-in weaves. I basically used a leave-in (infusium) and moisturizer(optimum) everday when i wore buns.

My hair was always put up. Buns, ponytails, whatever. Good hair health should lead to more thickness and a fat ponytail.

I have a round face and HATE protective styles because my face looks too full for them, but I still do them. I wear buns and french rolls daily. I will wear my hair out once a week...the day after a wash, but then it's right back in my buns. I have to find other ways to wear protective styles because the bun is cute but getting tired. I can't do braids because they put too much tension on my hair. I've thought about a fall or some other styles. Hair is too fine for cornrows and other styles.

However, I am seeing the benefits of protective styling. My hair is fuller and thicker. My ends look really good, not as fine and anemix. As I'm making my buns, I've noticed that my ponytails look a lot fuller than before and are harder to manipulate under the buns.

For me, protecting and hiding those ends, stretching relaxers, keeping hair unexposed to the sun...it seems like these techniques are working.

I just need patience and about 3 more inches to claim it!:perplexed

locfreeme said:
I'm right there with you as well. I'm past shoulder and have been for some time, but I don't seem to be getting any closer to APL. I'm tall with a big head and long neck :lol: but still, it seems to be taking so long. I've been trying to get to APL for nearly a year. I did trim during that time, but again, it just seems like I'm not making any progress. I need to change my siggy, too, because July 07 is not happening. Bumping it back to July 08. :(

I agree:lachen: :lachen: :lachen:

SkinnyMocah said:

Yeah, after my little trim I think I am right at APL or a little shorter. To tell the truth, I am not exactly sure but it is longer than shoulder. But to get to that next length I have my hair cornrowed back to eliminate breakage from the shoulders. One big corn row and then I have the end of the braid in a circle at the back.

Mook's hair said:
I passed the shoulders with a lot of cornrow styles and just keeping my hair up when I was at home.

I am still struggling a little with part of my kitchen still brushing shoulders and breaking. but the hair above that has taken off.

I have my hair braided like yours except I used a bobby pin to take the end of the braid and pin it in the back in a circle. It's such an easy and simple style to do.:)

Thanks for the inspiration.

bablou00 said:
Was hoping to get past this shoulder hump by my next relaxer in August but I dont think I will make it there. I had a big trim last week thats why I think I might not make it. It blows because you would think after a year of hair care and only one month really of using heat my hair would be long by now. All I can say is that its a lot healthy. I planned on getting cornrows for the summer but I dont want the manipulation....can't decide. Rollersetting will me my protective style

i thought even with roller setting, (even though this is a direct heat free alternative to obtaining straight styles), still would sweep against the shoulders if you wear it down.

Do you mean protective style as far as heat is concerned?

Back