LADIES HOW DO YOU GET OVER THE SHOULDER

People have already said it, but I just want to co-sign on the protective styles. Keeping your ends off your shoulders (or anything they might rub against) should really help.

SkinnyMocah said:
I think some ladies said they used protective styles to get past shoulder length, since the ends of the hair rubbing on clothes can cause breakage and shedding. I'm not an expert though so don't quote me on that. ;)

I agree. At first, i would blow dry (w/ the comb attachment), comb, and flat iron my hair once a week:eek: w/0 heat protectant (i thought i was really doing something b/c i would not manipulate it anymore for the rest of the week). My ends always seemed to thin out once it got halfway b/w sl and apl (probably b/c of the regime desribed above), but protective styles definitely helped. since joining lhcf I airdry my hair and only flat iron on special occasions (using heat protectant); most times it's air dryed then put in a bun. almost all breakage has stopped and hopefully my front will be past apl after this next touchup:grin: . I don't think that protective styles are always the cutest thing, but they work. some other members advised me on protecive styles (sweeping bang, head band, some others) that look cuter. Also, I prepoo, use oil to lock in moisture during my deep conditioning, and try to baggy 1-2 times per week then wash the baggied ends in the morning and put back in the bun.

Don't give up, when you find the regime for you then you'll be on your way to APL in no time.

How exactly is APL defined? Does anyone have a pic of textbook APL?

Is it at the beginning of the crack of your pits, or sort of wear your arms start to leave the side of the body (if that makes sense)?

Dumb question... i already know the answer... but just to be 1000000% sure.... BUNS is a good protective style right? Have anyone here got past shoulderlength (or gained APL orBSL) with buns? (i dont want to do the frenchbraids, quickweaves, or micro/pixibraids...bunning seems so much easier)

OnAHairQuest said:

Is it at the beginning of the crack of your pits, or sort of wear your arms start to leave the side of the body (if that makes sense)?

I was wondering this myself :confused: . I know spome people get so technical with these descriptions. I say it's past the crack of your arm pit since BSL is past the bra strap ( i didn't learn this until an entire thread was dedicated to definining it). Don't quote me on this, it's just MO.

awesomely_nappy said:
Dumb question... i already know the answer... but just to be 1000000% sure.... BUNS is a good protective style right? Have anyone here got past shoulderlength (or gained APL orBSL) with buns? (i dont want to do the frenchbraids, quickweaves, or micro/pixibraids...bunning seems so much easier)

Buns work fine, and any variation of bun will be okay. It really doesn't matter what style you use as long as the hair is off your shoulders, and not pulled back to tight. :) I also think it is important to put extra moisture on the ends before you bun.

finewine83 said:
I was wondering this myself :confused: . I know spome people get so technical with these descriptions. I say it's past the crack of your arm pit since BSL is past the bra strap ( i didn't learn this until an entire thread was dedicated to definining it). Don't quote me on this, it's just MO.
Okay. Im about to get my search on and see if I can find such a thread.

I did (ONCE IN MY LIFE) with braids.

The only problem with that was that I wore them so long that I forgot how to do my own hair. I got lazy.

Now look at my length. :nono:

Again, protective helps. That's what the braids were for me. They also help me with no manipulation.

GoldenBreeze said:
Buns work fine, and any variation of bun will be okay. It really doesn't matter what style you use as long as the hair is off your shoulders, and not pulled back to tight. :) I also think it is important to put extra moisture on the ends before you bun.

Thank you Golden!!! I'm planning on bunning til christmas (my goal is to be at APL by then), and wanted to make sure that i wouldn't be wasting my time... I think i will start adding extra moisture to my ends as well....

Also, does anybody know if sealing the ends (basically just the exposed part of the bun) with vaseline/petroleum jelly is good on the hair while bunning?

OnAHairQuest said:

APL is about 1/2 way between SL and BSL on the chart below. When your arms are hanging down naturally, its where the crease starts. If you were to raise your arms and put a towel on as high as possible under the arms and then put your arms down, the top of the towel across your back is APL.

Attachments

• measurement.jpg
    measurement.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 31
GoldenBreeze said:
APL is about 1/2 way between SL and BSL on the chart below. When your arms are hanging down naturally, its where the crease starts. If you were to raise your arms and put a towel on as high as possible under the arms and then put your arms down, the top of the towel across your back is APL.

thanks for the diagram.

awesomely_nappy said:
Thank you Golden!!! I'm planning on bunning til christmas (my goal is to be at APL by then), and wanted to make sure that i wouldn't be wasting my time... I think i will start adding extra moisture to my ends as well....

Also, does anybody know if sealing the ends (basically just the exposed part of the bun) with vaseline/petroleum jelly is good on the hair while bunning?

I seal with EVOO (extra virgin olive oil). I think the vaseline or petro jelly would be too thick and sticky for my liking. Pre poo is also a must for me

GoldenBreeze said:
See now you got me excited. I was thinking it was at the bottom of the pit. I may very well be at APL right now......

resists urge to straighten to check:lol:

SkinnyMocah said:
I think some ladies said they used protective styles to get past shoulder length, since the ends of the hair rubbing on clothes can cause breakage and shedding. I'm not an expert though so don't quote me on that. ;)

ITA. SL is the most vulnerable hair length because of what she ^^^ said. It is critical at this point to keep those ends protected

getting fully past shoulder length was a challenge for me and I could never figure out why, but i discovered a couple things and i finally made it:

1. not wearing hair down during this length because the ends rub against clothes, become dry and brittle and break. I kept my hair up in buns or high ponies.
2. i baggied my ends at night.
3. i resisted the urge to trim.

Man! I guess I already knew that the only way was protective styling. I got from neck length to shoulder length that way but im just so tired of wearing my hair up!...I guess back to the good ole bun. :perplexed

evagray said:
Man! I guess I already knew that the only way was protective styling. I got from neck length to shoulder length that way but im just so tired of wearing my hair up!...I guess back to the good ole bun. :perplexed

girl, i am so sicka this tired bun!!! i'm tryin to change it up a little with phony ponys though (i baggy under them :sekret: )

Yeah I could use a little variation on this bun, lol....just another excuse to go to the beauty supply store....:grin:

I think a protective is anything thats going to cause less manipulation as possible. For me being 4mos post my hair will not get straight unless I use heat and I dont want to do that. So rollersetting is the closet to getting my roots straight enough and helps to keep my ends smooth. I only wear my hair out if I am wearing a tank where its just rubbing my skin not clothing. But it gives my hair a smooth look w/o heat and I can go for a few days w/o washing as well. I due ponytails (w/ my hair) and buns during the week at work and at home then I might wear it out on the weekends or and updo. Its hard to get over this hump and I am struggling right now w/ 4 mos NG. I might get tempted to relax in a couple of weeks....:mad:

The key is keeping your ends should never touch your clothes. Wear protective styles (updo's). Keep it moisturized and patience. Castor oil can help with the thickness.

my shrinkage was my protective style so I dont have to worry about anything brushing up against my clothes....my only fix was those scissors. Im glad Im past that "i need perfect ends" stage

DenverGirl said:
girl, i am so sicka this tired bun!!! i'm tryin to change it up a little with phony ponys though (i baggy under them :sekret: )

LOL! CO-SIGNING ON THE "SICKA MUH TIRED BUN"! LOL....IT GOT ME WHERE I AM THOUGH (ALONG WITH BAGGYIN) I' MA KEEP IT MOVING WITH THIS TECHNIQUE 'TIL I GET TO MY GOAL.

Back