Ladies: Am I the *only* who needs a lot of affection in relationships?

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!
I'm the kind of woman who constantly requires affection in relationships. I can be very physical, but I'm beginning to feel that maybe I expect too much. Perhaps something is wrong with me if I am relying on affection to affirm my relationships.

Am I the only one who battles with this?

I don't require a lot of affection in my relationship, but my DH does, it's part of his make-up and he can't help it. I don't find there to be anything wrong with needing lots of affection, if that's who you are, just make sure you're with someone who can reciprocate or you'll feel slighted in the relationship.

There's nothing wrong with that!

It sounds like affection is one of your "love languages." Other people couldn't care less, but might require attention in other ways.

I think it's good to embrace your needs and desires and then look for a partner who will be willing to show love to you in those ways.

OK SP why do you think what you require is too much?

Come on fess up!!!

:lol: I don't want to be smothered, but if I really like a guy and he really likes me, I want to hold hands most of the time. I like to cuddle. I like to kiss and be close. I enjoy it more than sex, even...

...well, most of the time anyway! :giggle:

There's nothing wrong with that!

It sounds like affection is one of your "love languages." Other people couldn't care less, but might require attention in other ways.

I think it's good to embrace your needs and desires and then look for a partner who will be willing to show love to you in those ways.

I keep hearing 'bout these love languages. Someone needs to teach me! :drunk:

Just make sure you're with someone who can reciprocate or you'll feel slighted in the relationship.

I hear you. I wish I could find someone who will meet me in that way. I always seem to be with a guy who likes me more than I like him and thus he's always wanting to be all over me. Or, I like him and he likes me, but he's less willing to give out the affection. The latter type of guy makes me nervous to express myself physically because he's not as affectionate as I am. It'd be nice to meet someone who's just as affectionate or nearly affectionate as I am. I know that's probably unrealistic, though. :nono:

Last edited:
no..i def need a lot of affection and attention. i loove feeling loved and wanted!
shoot and i love when my man can't keep his hands off me.

^^^ YES!! If I really like a guy, I expect him to be all over me to the point where it makes me sick! :rofl:

:lol: @ the above! SP, you are not the only one. DH is not naturally as affectionate as I am but he makes that extra effort because he loves me. Embrace your needs, that is just part of your makeup and what makes you you. The right guy will love that about you.

i need a lot of attention in my relationships as far as being affectionate goes. i dont like to be smothered but i do love to cuddle and kiss and touch. but you have to make sure you are with the right person because i have someone who is always on me now and i really dont care for it.

:lol: @ the above! SP, you are not the only one. DH is not naturally as affectionate as I am but he makes that extra effort because he loves me. Embrace your needs, that is just part of your makeup and what makes you you. The right guy will love that about you.

Very important statement right there. It's great that you've acknowledged that you need this. Don't settle for less. I did and it was disastrous. Now I have a man that is affectionate, romantic and spontaneous about it. Whew! Yay me!

No...you are not ...it's GREAT that you are affectionate

me too.. very much

I need A LOT of love and constant reaffirmation.
Thankfully I have an SO who loves to hug and kiss on me
amen

no..i def need a lot of affection and attention. i loove feeling loved and wanted!
double amen....

Last edited:
I like a-lot of affection as well - hand holding, cuddling etc.

I didn't realize I liked/needed affection and attention so much until a recent relationship where the guy didn't like to touch or hold hands in public and was really to himself. I felt rejected and then it dawned on me that every other SO I'd had was very affectionate, so that experience helped me realize the level of affection and quality time I needed out of an SO. :yep:

This thread is very helpful to me. I was struggling with this question. I don't require a ton of affection, but I do require some, and my needs weren't being met. Knowing that there is nothing wrong with those needs and having that affirmed by you ladies makes me feel a lot better.

I like a-lot of affection as well - hand holding, cuddling etc.

I didn't realize I liked/needed affection and attention so much until a recent relationship where the guy didn't like to touch or hold hands in public and was really to himself. I felt rejected and then it dawned on me that every other SO I'd had was very affectionate, so that experience helped me realize the level of affection and quality time I needed out of an SO. :yep:

yup same here. i also felt rejected..like he just wasn't into me because he wasn't into being all that affectionate

yup same here. i also felt rejected..like he just wasn't into me because he wasn't into being all that affectionate

I was told that he didn't like to do PDA's. But he doesn't do non-PDA's, either. I think he is just not into me like that. He's not affectionate. And when he is, it seems forced just because I brought it to his attention. I don't want him to do anything that he doesn't want to do. This one's probably not the right one for me. He's a good person and I like him, but being non-affectionate may be a deal-breaker for me. :nono::nono:

I was told that he didn't like to do PDA's. But he doesn't do non-PDA's, either. I think he is just not into me like that. He's not affectionate. And when he is, it seems forced just because I brought it to his attention. I don't want him to do anything that he doesn't want to do. This one's probably not the right one for me. He's a good person and I like him, but being non-affectionate may be a deal-breaker for me. :nono::nono:

This isn't that author dude, is it?

Oh, and to answer your question about the Five Love Languages, I haven't read the book, but from what I've heard, I've learned a lot.

Even on a non-romantic level, I've gained so much. For example, my mother REALLY likes gifts on special days (birthday, Christmas, Mother's Day, etc.). ESPECIALLY cards.

One time we had a Mother's Day dinner a week early because my brother was in town from Connecticut. I gave her a gift then and she was happy. So I thought my job was done, right?

Why did she get mad that I didn't have a card for her??? :) The gift was a bigger thing to me than the card, but no, she wanted a card and was upset that there was no card on Mother's Day or in the package that had the gift in it.

I used to just huff and puff and think, "Oh come on! It's the thought that counts!" But you know what? That's important to HER and that's HER love language. Since she is a wonderful mother overall, I will always make sure that she has a card on those special days, even if she loses them one day later. :lol:

So back to you... you like affection and a man who cares about you should want to show you that. And in turn, you will show your love to him in the ways that are important for him. :yep:

Same here. I love kissing, hugging, snuggling, hand holding, etc. I can't even entertain a man that isn't genuinely on board with that.

I have a cousin that has been with her boyfriend for a very long time and I have NEVER seen them show any kind of affection towards each other. I'm not even talking about the more obvious physical displays like kissing because I understand that some people are not into PDA. However, not once have I seen them hold hands, hug, even touch the other's leg while sitting on the couch.

This isn't that author dude, is it?

Oh, and to answer your question about the Five Love Languages, I haven't read the book, but from what I've heard, I've learned a lot.

Even on a non-romantic level, I've gained so much. For example, my mother REALLY likes gifts on special days (birthday, Christmas, Mother's Day, etc.). ESPECIALLY cards.

One time we had a Mother's Day dinner a week early because my brother was in town from Connecticut. I gave her a gift then and she was happy. So I thought my job was done, right?

Why did she get mad that I didn't have a card for her??? :) The gift was a bigger thing to me than the card, but no, she wanted a card and was upset that there was no card on Mother's Day or in the package that had the gift in it.

I used to just huff and puff and think, "Oh come on! It's the thought that counts!" But you know what? That's important to HER and that's HER love language. Since she is a wonderful mother overall, I will always make sure that she has a card on those special days, even if she loses them one day later. :lol:

So back to you... you like affection and a man who cares about you should want to show you that. And in turn, you will show your love to him in the ways that are important for him. :yep:

LOL!!! You made me laugh, Bunny! :lachen::lachen::lachen:

Sadly, he begged me to get back with him two weeks after I broke it off. I, like a dummy, went back. I'm very sad in this "relationship". He brings me nothing. No emotional, spiritual, intellectual or physical satisfaction. Why did I go back, you ask? I don't know, except for I might be battling a bit of depression and low self-esteem. Maybe I'm feeling that he is the best I can do at the moment. I'm getting older and it's getting much harder to find someone.:nono:

LOL!!! You made me laugh, Bunny! :lachen::lachen::lachen:

Sadly, he begged me to get back with him two weeks after I broke it off. I, like a dummy, went back. I'm very sad in this "relationship". He brings me nothing. No emotional, spiritual, intellectual or physical satisfaction. Why did I go back, you ask? I don't know, except for I might be battling a bit of depression and low self-esteem. Maybe I'm feeling that he is the best I can do at the moment. I'm getting older and it's getting much harder to find someone.:nono:

:kiss:

Read the arranged marriage thread that I started. :) Good tips in there.

Also, while you might be getting older and having more difficulty finding someone, the longer you stay with this dude, the older you will get and the MORE difficult it will be and you'll still be as single as you are right now.

The book I mentioned talks about this issue.

:kiss:

Read the arranged marriage thread that I started. :) Good tips in there.

Also, while you might be getting older and having more difficulty finding someone, the longer you stay with this dude, the older you will get and the MORE difficult it will be and you'll still be as single as you are right now.

The book I mentioned talks about this issue.

Thanks so much, sweetheart! I will definitely check out your thread. :blowkiss:

I'm pretty much the opposite. My ex boyfriend used to have to remind me that he'd like to be shown affection, so it's something I have to work at. I've never really had any affection towards me, so I guess that's why I never think about it or am very affectionate.

Back