L-Cysteine Does WORK!!

CORBINS

Hello Everyone:

I know there have been other threads on this amino acid, but I had to testify!I've been taking it since March 13th, but NOT consistently. I was taking only 500mg the first few days, but then I increased the dosage to 2000mg (because I read about it here). I stopped taking 2000 because I wanted to stretch what I had left because none of the stores around here had any left. Anyhow, even with the little that I've been taking, I've notice a small increase in my growth rate. This is something that I haven't seen since I used Shen Min back in 2003! I've been testing product after product and nothing actually worked for me. Thus far, I've gained 1/4 inch in 9 days! It may not sound like much to you, but for me that's incredible!
Since my BC back in September, I've written down my "expected growth" with 1/2" each month, I'm "supposed" to have 6" on March 25th. I'm ahead by 1/4"! You also have to consider that I've had 2 half inch trims!

Sorry, I was long winded, but I'm happy to be able to share this information, especially for all of the ladies who have 4b, thick slow-growing hair like me!

I am taking the GNC amino acid formula for the past three (3) weeks. One of its ingredients is L-Cysteine (9.2mg) along with several other amino acid. So far so good.

Glad to hear that this is working for you! I added L-Cysteine to my vites recently, starting as you did with 500 mg and increasing to 2000 mg also.

Unfortunately, I can't tell how much my hair is growing because it's texturized and the new growth is really behaving these days but I keep getting compliments on how my hair is growing so...

I'm sticking with it for a while!

I didn't notice anything when I took it... maybe it was because I took it for just 1 month and decided not to buy it again... :look:

how long do you have to take it in order to see results??? :scratchch

Poohbear said:
I didn't notice anything when I took it... maybe it was because I took it for just 1 month and decided not to buy it again... :look:

how long do you have to take it in order to see results??? :scratchch
I'm not sure. I know most supplements take up to 3 months to start working. What brand did you use Pooh?

BTW CORBIN... I just checked out your album and I LOVE YOUR HAIR!!! You make me wanna chop my relaxed hair off now!!! :weird:

CORBINS said:
I'm not sure. I know most supplements take up to 3 months to start working. What brand did you use Pooh?

It was Solaray brand. Now that I think about it... I wasn't taking 2000mg a day. I think I was only taking 500mg a day because I was scared of overdose or buildup in my body or some danger someone was talking about in a thread about L-Cysteine some months ago, and because it was pretty pricey for just a 30 count bottle (a lil over $9.00 I think). ;)

Poohbear said:
BTW CORBIN... I just checked out your album and I LOVE YOUR HAIR!!! You make me wanna chop my relaxed hair off now!!! :weird:
Thank You Pooh!!! It took some courage I tell you! I was a little sad afterward, but I finally got used to it and I found a style that was easy and that fit me and my style.

Poohbear said:
It was Solaray brand. Now that I think about it... I wasn't taking 2000mg a day. I think I was only taking 500mg a day because I was scared of overdose or buildup in my body or some danger someone was talking about in a thread about L-Cysteine some months ago, and because it was pretty pricey for just a 30 count bottle (a lil over $9.00 I think). ;)
In order to stop the oxidation process, you have to make sure that you consume twice as much vitamin c when you're taking L-Cysteine. I usually drink a glass of orange juice (immune support), so far I haven't had any problems.

One more thing, you have to make sure you consume at least 8 glasses of water. You can become dehydrated quickly!

CORBINS said:
In order to stop the oxidation process, you have to make sure that you consume twice as much vitamin c when you're taking L-Cysteine. I usually drink a glass of orange juice (immune support), so far I haven't had any problems.
See, I think that was another reason why I decided not to take it again because I really dont wanna be popping all these pills in my body. If I did that, I would be taking the 1 Super B-Complex I have now, 4 500mg L-Cysteine and then 8 500mg Vitamin C pills. That's 13 pills a day! :eek: So drinking a glass of orange juice makes up for that "twice as much vitamin C" you must take with the L-Cysteine??? :confused:

Well, if you take 2000mg of L-Cysteine and 4000mg of Vitamin C... is that really safe to take??? :confused:

I don't think it's necessary to take 2000mg/day. I found it easier to take 1000mg per day. I just took one in the morning and one in the eveninig along with a glass of orange juice. I agree Pooh, it's crazy trying to take that many!

In reference to this conversation, I would like to add that AVON has a vitamin for hair with L-cystine in it and I was wondering what ya'll would think. Somebody told me that they sell like hot cakes but I dunno, here's the link....

http://shop.avon.com/avonshop/default.asp

you can click under the picture for the ingredients list. It seems like a reasonable dosage. :ohwell:

at the bottom there is a search feature, just type "hair vitamins" in the box and the results will have a purple bottle at the top of the page.

L-Cysteine is great for hair growth, I use to take 500mg of the Twinlab brand. Now I take Country Life Maxi-Hair and I get 100mg of L-Cysteine in that.

Tene said:
L-Cysteine is great for hair growth, I use to take 500mg of the Twinlab brand. Now I takeCountry Life Maxi-Hair and I get 100mg of L-Cysteine in that.

Where do you get this from, and can it be bought in a capsule form?

I got mines from the health store or you can order it online at vitamin shoppe, vitacost and other places. You can get it in capsule form if you want.

Never mind, I'm just going keep doing what I'm doing w/ out any supplements. My hair is growing just fine. I just did a search and there were too many pages. The pill scene confuses me :ohwell:

Tene said:
L-Cysteine is great for hair growth, I use to take 500mg of the Twinlab brand. Now I take Country Life Maxi-Hair and I get 100mg of L-Cysteine in that.

I take this too..it has a TON of stuff in it!!!

CORBINS said:
I don't think it's necessary to take 2000mg/day. I found it easier to take 1000mg per day. I just took one in the morning and one in the eveninig along with a glass of orange juice. I agree Pooh, it's crazy trying to take that many!
So you think 1000/mg daily is enough? Not a bad idea. :scratchch Hmmm, I'll just think about it before jumping right back into buying it again! ;)

I found this for Country Life Maxi-Hair Maximized 90T

Ingredients
Vitamin A (retinyl palmitate) 5,000 I.U., Vitamin C (as ascorbic acid) 200 mg, Vitamin E (as d-alpha tocopheryl acid succinate) 50 I.U., Thiamin (as thiamine HCl)(vitamin B-1) 30 mg, Riboflavin (vitamin B-2) 50 mg, Niacin (as niacinamide) 50 mg, Vitamin B-6 (as pyridoxine HCl) 50 mg, Folic Acid 400 mcg, Vitamin B-12 (as cyanocobalamin) 50 mcg, d-Biotin 2,000 mcg, Pantothenic Acid (as d-calcium pantothenate) 50 mg, Calcium (as calcium carbonate) 200 mg, Iodine (from kelp) 225 mcg, Zinc (as zinc amino acid chelate) 15 mg, Selenium (as Target Mins carriers) 50 mcg, Copper (as copper amino acid chelate) 1 mcg, MSM (Methyl- sulfonylmethane) 600 mg, L-Methionine (free form) 250 mg, Canola Fatty Acid Complex (source of unsaturated fatty acids, linoleic and oleic acids) 200 mg, Horsetail Extract (leaf/stem)(from 100 mg of a 2:1 extract) 200 mg, L-Cysteine (as L-cysteina HCl) 100 mg, Choline Bitartrate 50 mg, Inositol 50 mg, PABA (para-aminoben- zoic acid) 50 mg

Other Ingredients
Cellulose, vegetable stearine, magnesium stearate, silica, food glaze (vegetable).

Does Not Contain
Yeast, wheat, soy, milk, salt, sugar, starch, preservatives, or artificial color.

Warnings / Cautions
Do not exceed 10,000 I.U. of vitamin A per day. Pregnant or women of child bearing age do not exceed more than 8,000 I.U. of vitamin A per day. Pregnant or lactating women should consult a health care professional before using any product.

I used to take it last summer, and it made my nails hard and grow very fast. So that's another benefit to taking L-Cysteine.

simone103 said:
I used to take it last summer, and it made my nails hard and grow very fast. So that's another benefit to taking L-Cysteine.
Did your hair grow at a faster rate???

Poohbear said:
So you think 1000/mg daily is enough? Not a bad idea. :scratchch Hmmm, I'll just think about it before jumping right back into buying it again! ;)
:look: Okay... Why did I just order 9 bottles of L-Cysteine from Puritan Pride??? I spent way too much money than I usually spend for something, but the thing is... it was a good deal! Buy 3 Get 6 FREE!!! I spent $36.65...not too bad! :weird:

I plan on taking 3- 500mg capsules for 5 months. :yep:

Back