Kim Coles on her 3rd month Natural Anniversary

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRLdr1RNYEQ&feature=related

ETA. She could be coming to a hair board near you, she is very into healthy hair care. Now, I am wondering how many other celebs who is into healthy hair care, like us :grin:

a lot of them and she is on the naturallycurly hair forum and a lot them are. not knocking them but they are cashing in on all of our hard work. like she said there are a lot of stars out here on the hair boards meaning us little people but she didn't menton any names except kimmay which has to do with money also. and again I am not knocking any of them because she is one of my favorite people vids out there. but just like the one we all watched last night that look like someone just pushed her in front of a camera and said lets make some money grant it her hair was lovely. but until people started telling her what to do she really didn't have anything to offer except showing us her lovely hair.

we are our own celebs on this board right here and we have done this for years without any of their help but right now they are jumping on our band wagon.. I say those who are in the hair product business send out as much as you can if this is what you are after now is the time. to tell you the truth the ones that are at the top of the line and well known I don't even like their hair products... kind of hate them and the ones I love are our little secrets lol

a lot of them and she is on the naturallycurly hair forum and a lot them are. not knocking them but they are cashing in on all of our hard work. like she said there are a lot of stars out here on the hair boards meaning us little people but she didn't menton any names except kimmay which has to do with money also. and again I am not knocking any of them because she is one of my favorite people vids out there. but just like the one we all watched last night that look like someone just pushed her in front of a camera and said lets make some money grant it her hair was lovely. but until people started telling her what to do she really didn't have anything to offer except showing us her lovely hair.

we are our own celebs on this board right here and we have done this for years without any of their help but right now they are jumping on our band wagon.. I say those who are in the hair product business send out as much as you can if this is what you are after now is the time. to tell you the truth the ones that are at the top of the line and well known I don't even like their hair products... kind of hate them and the ones I love are our little secrets lol

Shadiyah
You have said exactly how I have been feeling about many of these boards.

I dont contribute much though so much of what they have has been from others way before me.

LHCF should do what nappturality does charge different prices for different parts of the board. This way even if they take whats here they have paid for it.

When I was having problems getting on and went to popular bloggers site I was shocked at the amount of stuff taken from here.

Well, I understand that this could be a lot frustrating .. not only a little. A lot of you guys were under radar for some time.. but healthy long hair for black women all over the world should not be kept a secret! This is definitely a way to get out there :). That black people's hair grows and can be retained... has all different textures... etcetera.

If you want to capitalize on all of this.. go out there and do it!! See it as a challenge. I just had an imitators post posted.. so I understand the irritation lol!!!

they are really making a lot of money off us and it is the truth but this business all ways been that way. just like what did oprah do when it was in the know when that movie was about to come out... they knew long before we did Kris was making that movie and her and Tyra were getting ready for the natural girl is in and now that it has past and they made their money on the ratings and the sponsers... they are back to cutting and relaxing and weaving. it is all about timing and cashing in that is why I say hair product girls if you want to go big get with your contacts and start paying for those adds on the biggest channels so can be talked about like miss jesse and jane carter. but if you want to be small like I choose to so I can keep that special touch for my customers and give my love instead of plant stamping your name then no shame.

out of all the boards that I have taken a look at this one is the best to me.. it is the most viewed and I was eyeing it before I even paid my subscription price. I just wish I took it serious back then and that miss hap wouldn't have happen and I would not had to cut all my hair off and maybe wl by now lol

I'm just trying to figure out when the owner of KCNT is going to sue her (kimmaytube's) arse...but, I guess..she is having to buy the NT, so I guess, no harm no foul? Or is there. Too late in the day for me to do the legal mental gymnastics LOL

'3rd month anniversary' o___O

I'm happy for her, and I'm happy that she actually cares about hair and health. Never watched all of her vids but maybe I'll subscribe :)

I'm just trying to figure out when the owner of KCNT is going to sue her (kimmaytube's) arse...but, I guess..she is having to buy the NT, so I guess, no harm no foul? Or is there. Too late in the day for me to do the legal mental gymnastics LOL

wait wait wait I am late on this subject please explain to me what happen please please

I don't think there are grounds for a suit. First, she's publicizing the product and encouraging others to buy and use it as the basis for the leave-in. So it just doesn't make sense for the Kinky Curly people to get mad over it. Second, if you think about it, it would be like a maker of thousand island dressing suing a burger place for using the dressing in their "special sauce." The manufacturer doesn't care what they do with the product once they buy it-as long as they keep buying it.

but just like the one we all watched last night that look like someone just pushed her in front of a camera and said lets make some money grant it her hair was lovely. but until people started telling her what to do she really didn't have anything to offer except showing us her lovely hair.
werd. hahahaha, i think i know who you're talking about and i feel the same but i'm always critical of everything so just waiting it out to see how it plays out so i won't be considered a rabblerouser

loved the rest of your post btw just tired of my extra long posts so didn't want to quote it all ;)

i don't think they would bother until something like this happens that gives kimmay's potion tons of visibility. when kimmay is small they would look like greedy so&so's if they tried to sue. it would be in their right but it would look bad. as kimmay gets more well known and becomes a recognized brand herself, regardless of whether she names and charges for the product or if she continues offering it for free, she would have to pay them for the use since KCKT plays such an integral part in her mix.

little people can create whatever concoctions they want in their kitchens but known entities can't really create a new item wrapped around a distinct brand and product w/out any partnership agreement w/ said brand. what if people started to complain that Kimmay's leave-in was causing them harm; suddenly KCKT could be dragged into a situation they had no part in making. also there's the obvious infringement since Kimmay is getting credit for a 'new' product largely based on an existing brand's R&D. this isn't really ok & why there's always patent infringement suits all over the place.

anyhoo, this is just the advertising side of me talking, i'm not an IP lawyer.

huh? kimmay is not selling the leave in from KCKT in any of her mixtures. her mentioning it is no different than saying she uses Betty Crocker cake mix as a base in her cakes for personal use. if she was selling the products on her own or without permission then maybe they could sue.

the natural hair game is a fad right now. it will pass and we shall see who will stand the test of time.

i believe it will go back to getting a press and curl, since this whole wave started with getting away from chemicals.

werd. hahahaha, i think i know who you're talking about and i feel the same but i'm always critical of everything so just waiting it out to see how it plays out so i won't be considered a rabblerouser

loved the rest of your post btw just tired of my extra long posts so didn't want to quote it all ;)

i don't think they would bother until something like this happens that gives kimmay's potion tons of visibility. when kimmay is small they would look like greedy so&so's if they tried to sue. it would be in their right but it would look bad. as kimmay gets more well known and becomes a recognized brand herself, regardless of whether she names and charges for the product or if she continues offering it for free, she would have to pay them for the use since KCKT plays such an integral part in her mix.

little people can create whatever concoctions they want in their kitchens but known entities can't really create a new item wrapped around a distinct brand and product w/out any partnership agreement w/ said brand. what if people started to complain that Kimmay's leave-in was causing them harm; suddenly KCKT could be dragged into a situation they had no part in making. also there's the obvious infringement since Kimmay is getting credit for a 'new' product largely based on an existing brand's R&D. this isn't really ok & why there's always patent infringement suits all over the place.

anyhoo, this is just the advertising side of me talking, i'm not an IP lawyer.

but from my understanding she is not selling it right? so no issue if anything she is promoting their product. this is why companies are now sending her stuff for free to promote their products. but her own hair line is coming out from what I hear and the only reason why she would have a problem if she steals someone elses recipe and pass it off as hers.

the natural hair game is a fad right now. it will pass and we shall see who will stand the test of time.

i believe it will go back to getting a press and curl, since this whole wave started with getting away from chemicals.

LOL so right but on the other hand there were a lot of us out there who didn't know what to do with our curls because they didn't really cater to our type hair. I remember when I was little it was grease and water. the brush and water in the glass and the royal crown lol that was fine for wearing ponytails but once I got older I didn't know what to do with my hair.... there was no press and curling on my hair and unless it was in a bun nothing.... I had a friend with the same type here she just wore the same bun every single day.... man I wish I had of just took her road but I am so bored easy so I had to keep my hands in my hair. I am just now able to do my hair everyday and like the same curls but buns can not do it everyday lol sorry another long one lol

huh? kimmay is not selling the leave in from KCKT in any of her mixtures. her mentioning it is no different than saying she uses Betty Crocker cake mix as a base in her cakes for personal use. if she was selling the products on her own or without permission then maybe they could sue.

unless you're a lawyer (i'm not) our discussion is largely moot and just random speculation but the reason i disagree is cuz there are different rules when you step out of youtube land and start playing in the big leagues. as i said earlier, no one cares about you when you're small.

but contrary to what was noted upthread, a known product containing a secret sauce cannot wholly contain another complete product w/out that manufacturer's consent; and a new leave-in (even if not sold) cannot wholly contain an existing company's product w/out their consent. usage implies consent and a company unaware of how their product is being used cannot give consent. there are always ways of easily getting around this of course but it's not strictly legal.

anyhoo, Kinky Curly wouldn't bother suing but that doesn't mean it's not w/in their right since it would look bad and also is currently to their benefit. if people were to complain that Kimmay's receipe with KCKT caused them some kind of harm it would be a completely different story since KCKT would be guilty by association even tho their product was used w/out their consent.

and back to the OP; i totally agree w/ what you're saying. a part of me can't help being tickled that a celeb like KC is out there on youtube talkin' to us little people about her hair rituals tho.

you have a great point tho; the real celebs are right here (LHCF). the 'pioneers' who've been consciously on an HHJ for years, researching for years and offering info and support to all of us.

i am soooo grateful to LHCF! hopefully more celebs follow KC. i don't think this takes away from the ultimate goal which is to get the world to know that there is nothing wrong w/ us and our hair and it can grow to great lengths. natural hair is super hot right now and can be seen as just a fad i guess, but i really don't see that changing in the near future. maybe it's just a naive hope, but i think as more well known and attractive women show love for their natural textures and grow out their hair, more and more people will become intrigued and want to do the same.

*sigh... another long post. i'm sorry. brevity is not my friend :/

unless you're a lawyer (i'm not) our discussion is largely moot and just random speculation but the reason i disagree is cuz there are different rules when you step out of youtube land and start playing in the big leagues. as i said earlier, no one cares about you when you're small.

but contrary to what was noted upthread, a known product containing a secret sauce cannot wholly contain another complete product w/out that manufacturer's consent; and a new leave-in (even if not sold) cannot wholly contain an existing company's product w/out their consent. usage implies consent and a company unaware of how their product is being used cannot give consent. there are always ways of easily getting around this of course but it's not strictly legal.

anyhoo, Kinky Curly wouldn't bother suing but that doesn't mean it's not w/in their right since it would look bad and also is currently to their benefit. if people were to complain that Kimmay's receipe with KCKT caused them some kind of harm it would be a completely different story since KCKT would be guilty by association even tho their product was used w/out their consent.

and back to the OP; i totally agree w/ what you're saying. a part of me can't help being tickled that a celeb like KC is out there on youtube talkin' to us little people about her hair rituals tho.

you have a great point tho; the real celebs are right here (LHCF). the 'pioneers' who've been consciously on an HHJ for years, researching for years and offering info and support to all of us.

i am soooo grateful to LHCF! hopefully more celebs follow KC. i don't think this takes away from the ultimate goal which is to get the world to know that there is nothing wrong w/ us and our hair and it can grow to great lengths. natural hair is super hot right now and can be seen as just a fad i guess, but i really don't see that changing in the near future. maybe it's just a naive hope, but i think as more well known and attractive women show love for their natural textures and grow out their hair, more and more people will become intrigued and want to do the same.

*sigh... another long post. i'm sorry. brevity is not my friend :/

Kimmay says she use KCKT but has also said it would work with any other leave in. This is almost the same as someone giving a review of KCCC and using Giovanni instead of KCKT (as the directions clearly state) on their hair except one involves premixing and the other does not.

If the product manufactured by someone else is wholly contained and sold inside of someone else's product without consent then there is a problem.

if kimmay is in the wrong for naming a leave in she uses in her personal mix but does not sell then there are 50-11 other youtube gurus out there doing the same thing. furthermore, if this was illegal then valerie would be in a lawsuit right now with abc homeopathy for her "potion".

LOL so right but on the other hand there were a lot of us out there who didn't know what to do with our curls because they didn't really cater to our type hair. I remember when I was little it was grease and water. the brush and water in the glass and the royal crown lol that was fine for wearing ponytails but once I got older I didn't know what to do with my hair.... there was no press and curling on my hair and unless it was in a bun nothing.... I had a friend with the same type here she just wore the same bun every single day.... man I wish I had of just took her road but I am so bored easy so I had to keep my hands in my hair. I am just now able to do my hair everyday and like the same curls but buns can not do it everyday lol sorry another long one lol

I believe there will be a certain percentage of people who will fall off the wagon and go back to relaxing and constant pressing, but we know so much more now about natural hair than we (collectively) did say, 15-20 years ago. Before I decided to stop constantly pressing my hair, I though my only natural hair options was an afro and locks. No knocking either style, but I didn't want my hair locked. I then discovered a couple of tiny natural and long hair websites, eventually found Nappturality.com and the rest was history.

I think people just didn't know what to do with natural hair. How to wear it professionally, stylish, hip, elegant, etc. Before online hair communities, I didn't know anything about WnG, braid/twist outs, buns, how to detangle without losing half my hair, what products are best for what type of hair, what to sleep in, cowashing, and so on.

The more people know, the less people will fall back.

IDK why, but I always assumed she was already natural under the braids all those years. She looks cute :)

Sent from my iPhone 4 using LHCF

Kim Coles is annoying. This is all about the dollars. She came right out doing endorsements and she's barely been natural for two minutes. I have more natural hair on my head during a relaxer stretch. She needs to go star in a TV show or something.

^^ hahahahaha. funny. kinda mean. so true tho.

didn't know she was doing endorsements and alla that. how do you endorse when you're just learning your hair?

I believe there will be a certain percentage of people who will fall off the wagon and go back to relaxing and constant pressing, but we know so much more now about natural hair than we (collectively) did say, 15-20 years ago. Before I decided to stop constantly pressing my hair, I though my only natural hair options was an afro and locks. No knocking either style, but I didn't want my hair locked. I then discovered a couple of tiny natural and long hair websites, eventually found Nappturality.com and the rest was history.

I think people just didn't know what to do with natural hair. How to wear it professionally, stylish, hip, elegant, etc. Before online hair communities, I didn't know anything about WnG, braid/twist outs, buns, how to detangle without losing half my hair, what products are best for what type of hair, what to sleep in, cowashing, and so on.

The more people know, the less people will fall back.

with all that said I just remembered something... and I am talking 50 yrs or more ago when I talk about the grease and water lol..... but this I use to thermal curl my hair when I wanted it straight would go to the salon every two week or less... but because of humidity my hair would not last long so I would wash n go so to speak I would take the hair dryer and finger dry my hair and tie a band around it and if I wanted to wear it I had to wash it again. then I would take my grease and water and french roll my hair up and leave the top out curly but that was the only thing I knew about curly back in the 70's I would wash my hair every 3 days if I wanted to wear it straight because of the build up because I could not put grease on my hair at all.

IDK why, but I always assumed she was already natural under the braids all those years. She looks cute :)

Sent from my iPhone 4 using LHCF

come to think of it I did too and she never mention anything about perming her hair in the videos did she after she started wearing the braids?

Kim Coles is annoying. This is all about the dollars. She came right out doing endorsements and she's barely been natural for two minutes. I have more natural hair on my head during a relaxer stretch. She needs to go star in a TV show or something.

^^^^:lachen::lachen:

Like, what in the heck was she endorsing at <3 months natural??

see told yau

It appears we are suppose to be defined by our hair :look:

Why shouldn't any and everybody that wants a piece of this billion dollar business not go after it? I thought this board was about giving women of color the opportunity to get a piece of the pie :perplexed Regardless, if we think black hair is sacred or not, it is a business. This board is a business.

I'm confused. Why are we not supporting sisters but the Koreans nail shop is packed :perplexed the Koreans BSS is packed :perplexed Sallys is a million dollar business :perplexed Whole Foods could care less :perplexed Target stated carry products after they got on Oprah :perplexed and all the places this board makes rich....really.

It appears we are suppose to be defined by our hair :look:

Why shouldn't any and everybody that wants a piece of this billion dollar business not go after it? I thought this board was about giving women of color the opportunity to get a piece of the pie :perplexed Regardless, if we think black hair is sacred or not, it is a business. This board is a business.

I'm confused. Why are we not supporting sisters but the Koreans nail shop is packed :perplexed the Koreans BSS is packed :perplexed Sallys is a million dollar business :perplexed Whole Foods could care less :perplexed Target stated carry products after they got on Oprah :perplexed and all the places this board makes rich....really.

Exactly! :yep:

What is this? Survival of the nappiest? :ohwell:

Why does it matter if someone only got to know their hair for a while but decided that relaxing was more conducive to their lifestyle? Isn't it better that they understand their options and are making informed decisions and can now treat their hair in ANY state better?

What is this? Survival of the nappiest? :ohwell:

Why does it matter if someone only got to know their hair for a while but decided that relaxing was more conducive to their lifestyle? Isn't it better that they understand their options and are making informed decisions and can now treat their hair in ANY state better?

I think maybe because this was girl talk about natural hair?????

Back