Keratin Treatment Support Thread

Hey ladies UK based BKT virgin here. :wave:

I just bought a 120 ml sampler of QOD Gold from eBay (uk).

The seller however is not hot on communication and I have repeatedly tried to communicate with her and ask her is she sells the clarifying shampoo - no answer :ohwell:

Anyway I just wanted to find out from the ladies in this thread is there is in fact a special clarifying shampoo I need or of there is a readily available substitute. I have the Mizani Phormula 7 Neutralizing and Chelating shampoo but do not feel this would be appropriate as this is essentially used to close the cuticles after relaxing and I am guessing that I need something that opens the cuticles for maximum absorption and penetration.

Also I am relatively in-experienced with hair and was planning to do this myself and get a friend to help me with the flat Ironing bit. Do you think I will be ok :perplexed: ???

I also plan on using my FHI Runway or FHI Platform (I have both).

Thanks in advance ladies! :grin:

ETA: About me - fine 4a/b transitioning with about 4 inches of NG.

Ive found info that Johnson's baby shampoo will accomplish the goal. 3x
HTH

Thank you sooooo much Hijabuflygirl !!! :yay: :kiss:

Esp as I have some in the house that I use to wash my make-up brushes !!! :yep:

Also that would make sense bc its made to be a lower pH so it doesn't sting babies and children's eyes so it would actually OPEN the cuticle.

I wonder if Pantene clarifying is the same??? :scratchchin:

Thank you sooooo much Hijabuflygirl !!! :yay: :kiss:

Esp as I have some in the house that I use to wash my make-up brushes !!! :yep:

Also that would make sense bc its made to be a lower pH so it doesn't sting babies and children's eyes so it would actually OPEN the cuticle.

I wonder if Pantene clarifying is the same??? :scratchchin:

Yup you can use any clarifying shampoo. Pantene, Suave, etc. The trick is to wash 3xs and to let it sit on your head the 3rd time for 5-10 minutes before rinsing. I think you will love QOD Gold. HTH

Yup you can use any clarifying shampoo. Pantene, Suave, etc. The trick is to wash 3xs and to let it sit on your head the 3rd time for 5-10 minutes before rinsing. I think you will love QOD Gold. HTH

Muse (or anyone else) do you think the FHI Iron will get hot enough for the BKT???

Thanks !

Muse (or anyone else) do you think the FHI Iron will get hot enough for the BKT???

Thanks !

Oh yeah! I want an FHI but I don't need another iron. In the Marcia Teixeira manual they recommended the FHI Platform for BKT because it holds consistent heat at all times. That is a great iron to use for this treatment.

hey stella. Im from the uk to! yay!

Anywho just want to say make sure you apply QOD gold nice and thin. ITs VERY concentrated which can mess up the whole thing if you apply thick. Do a strand test. You will know if its the right about because the hair should feel soft and nice. IT will also feel a bit gummy, but it shouldnt feel excessively gummy. ALSO I really recommend you do it at 210 it doesnt need to be higher. I burnt my ends doing it at 230.

good luck

Lovelonglocks,

Your hair is beautiful! I am 9 months post transitioning back to my natural 3b / c texture. If you are going for a frizz free look try Coppola Keratin treatments at Ulta because it will not straighten your hair. Anything with formeldahyde will probably straighten it. My new growth
is bone straight right out shower (9 months of new growth). My mom is a silky 4a and her new growth was about 98% straight after using OK Keratin 1.75% formeldahyde. Feel free to take a look at my Fotki to see my Coppola Keratin results. :)

HTH,

Veejee

Thank you for the compliment - and advice...I will be looking this up.

Anywho just want to say make sure you apply QOD gold nice and thin. ITs VERY concentrated which can mess up the whole thing if you apply thick. Do a strand test. You will know if its the right about because the hair should feel soft and nice. IT will also feel a bit gummy, but it shouldnt feel excessively gummy. ALSO I really recommend you do it at 210 it doesnt need to be higher. I burnt my ends doing it at 230.

good luck

Thanks Denise!

Oh yeah! I want an FHI but I don't need another iron. In the Marcia Teixeira manual they recommended the FHI Platform for BKT because it holds consistent heat at all times. That is a great iron to use for this treatment.

Thanks Muse !

Last edited:

good luck

I suppose that degrees centigrade, right?

Sorry to be asking so many questions, but... is it necessary to use the mask that comes with the BKT? I'm asking because it has cones and I am trying very hard to stay away from them. Would a nice moisturizing DC work as well?

Sorry to be asking so many questions, but... is it necessary to use the mask that comes with the BKT? I'm asking because it has cones and I am trying very hard to stay away from them. Would a nice moisturizing DC work as well?

Doesn't the BKT have cones itself?

Hmm.. maybe.. I actually don't know! If it does I guess it doesn't matter much then, huh?

Nope. I think most BKT treatments have cones, that's the heat protectant. Maybe if you want to minimize the cones though you could skip the mask but I don't know what the end results would be. I have never used the kind that comes with a mask.

Hi Ladies I did a search and tried to read through this thread but didnt find to much information regarding my question. Can you please tell me how well your BKT's last if you work out 3 times a week. I want to work out but only wash my hair once a week. Im thinking of getting mine professionally done but before I spend hundreds of dollars I want to make sure that I will have minimal frizz and not have to flat iron or wash my hair every time I work out. Thank you for any feed back.

Hello everyone,
I have been lurking & am now considering BKT :::: peeking my head:::: ...
Questions
Are there any APL or MBL that are using BKT process?
If so, did you obtain your length before or while using the BKT?

Thanks & happy BKTing

Last edited:
Hi Ladies I did a search and tried to read through this thread but didnt find to much information regarding my question. Can you please tell me how well your BKT's last if you work out 3 times a week. I want to work out but only wash my hair once a week. Im thinking of getting mine professionally done but before I spend hundreds of dollars I want to make sure that I will have minimal frizz and not have to flat iron or wash my hair every time I work out. Thank you for any feed back.

As far as I know, folks just use a stronger BKT (4%), and re-treat their hair a little more often.

Also you may want to look into getting some Sabino Lok and Blok (if you don't already have it). I revisited this stuff and it works amazingly with BKT. It'll help protect your hair from the sweat from working out. Using sulfate and sodium chloride free poos will help it last longer. I wash every other day WITH shampoo and my BKT is doing just fine. I use Creme of Nature (old green formula-sulfate free), Matrix Sleek Look conditioner (no sodium chloride) and Sabino and that's it. Soft moisturized hair. But if you don't want to wet your hair after every workout try using Sabino when you flat iron.

It does depend on which one you get too. If you use a good BKT you should be able to wash daily with the right poos and cons and still have lasting results (most people who get this treatment are daily or every other day washers). And like MyAngelEyez~C~U said, frequency will help. I do my treatments about every 4-6 weeks so I can wash as often as I want because I'm just going to do another one anyway. Thinking about doing another QOD gold treatment this weekend if I have the energy.:yep: HTH

Thanks Muse,

I just ordered the Sabino Moisture Blok. I cant wait to try it. I saw so many good reviews for it. I have Giovanni shampoo and conditioner. Can I use this with the BKT? I believe it is sulfate and chloride free?

Also you may want to look into getting some Sabino Lok and Blok (if you don't already have it). I revisited this stuff and it works amazingly with BKT. It'll help protect your hair from the sweat from working out. Using sulfate and sodium chloride free poos will help it last longer. I wash every other day WITH shampoo and my BKT is doing just fine. I use Creme of Nature (old green formula-sulfate free), Matrix Sleek Look conditioner (no sodium chloride) and Sabino and that's it. Soft moisturized hair. But if you don't want to wet your hair after every workout try using Sabino when you flat iron.

It does depend on which one you get too. If you use a good BKT you should be able to wash daily with the right poos and cons and still have lasting results (most people who get this treatment are daily or every other day washers). And like MyAngelEyez~C~U said, frequency will help. I do my treatments about every 4-6 weeks so I can wash as often as I want because I'm just going to do another one anyway. Thinking about doing another QOD gold treatment this weekend if I have the energy.:yep: HTH

Are you talking about the process that Aveda is using? I just talked to a stylist there last week.

The Brazilian Blowout is the treatment Nicole Richie and Halle Berry get. Here's the link:

http://www.brazilianblowout.com/Press

I watched one video (on the link above) on this treatment a couple of weeks ago and the stylist said it was formeldahyde free; he said the treatment (like all keratin treatments) laminates the hair. Supposedly, according to the MSDS - material safety and data sheet, the product is completely safe and utilizes alcohols and a silicone polymer that holds the keratin in place.

Last edited:
Hello everyone,
Questions

Thanks & happy BKTing
i was scrapin bsl when i started...well, still am:wallbash:

The Brazilian Blowout is the treatment Nicole Richie and Halle Berry get. Here's the link:

http://www.brazilianblowout.com/Press

I watched one video (on the link above) on this treatment a couple of weeks ago and the stylist said it was formeldahyde free; he said the treatment (like all keratin treatments) laminates the hair. Supposedly, according to the MSDS - material safety and data sheet, the product is completely safe and utilizes alcohols and a silicone polymer that holds the keratin in place.

This is interesting! And according to the link you posted it can last just as long as the keratin treatment, That's why I never paid attention to the blowout, because I didnt think it would last as long. No formaldehyde...I think I'll look into this. I like the idea of using polymers to keep the keratin in place.

Hello everyone,
Questions

Thanks & happy BKTing

There are tons of pics in this thread showing results on various lengths - sl to waistlength.

So it's been a week since I did my at home Marcia Tex. I finally did the 1st wash yesterday, it was a busy week. I noticed my hair had different textures as I was washing it. The part of my hair that I ran low on BKT is soft, but the roots are kind of thick.

I love the softness of my hair, I think right now I'm having problems with my ends. This BKT did help the look of my ends a lot!!! But I think I need some style. I've been wearing my hair in a ponytail for the last 2 weeks, and I know that isn't healthy for it. Even though my hair is sitting at my shoulders when styled, I think I will do a layered bob. My hair doesn't have that bounce, like when it was relaxed or when I go to the salon. If I can cut the ends off into a style, maybe it will hold the curl a lot better.

Thanks for the advice.

Oh and I think since the chocolate formula of Marcia Tex. is hard to come by, I might try QOD Gold, we will see.

Back