Keratin Treatment Support Thread

Is anyone still doing rollersets since using the BKT. If so is your hair just as managable while wet? Does your curls come out just as nice? TIA

I think if you want to strip this without damage you will have to use sulfate/sodium chloride poos and give it time. The treatment will eventually strip but you have to give it time. I don't think there is any way to quickly strip it without damage. You just have to be patient.

ITA. I tried to strip my BKT for more than two months and I'm just beginning to see reversion from my November 1st application. Now that I know it will revert, I'm happy it lasts so long!

All this BKT talk has made me want to do a treatment today! Now that I've proven to myself that it'll wear off within 4 or 5 months, I'm not worried about reversion. I'll post pics tomorrow.

Reversion has started. It is almost 6 weeks since I had my first BKT and although still soft and mostly managable, I can't go another wash without putting another BKT in my hair.

I will be putting the Marcia Teixeira in my hair this weekend at home, I pray everything goes well.

Anybody who has used Marcia Teixeira brand, did you follow the instructions to the 'T"? I have natural hair with no other chemicals on it and it suggested using peroxide with the pre-treatment wash to help open the cuticle. Just curious, ANY HELP goes a long way.

I am reading the Marcia Training Manual right now. I will post my findings when I'm done.

So far I'm finding out Marcia Teixeira does not contain formaldehyde. It contains formalin. Formaldehyde is a gas that is produced from formalin when it is heated to a certain temperature. This gas "formaldehyde" then penetrates the hair strand and fills in the gaps in the cuticle.

More to come

OK guys, all finished! Too tired to put on make-up, sorry.:look:

Blowdried:

picture.php

Finished Product:

picture.php

Length Check:

picture.php

Reversion has started. It is almost 6 weeks since I had my first BKT and although still soft and mostly managable, I can't go another wash without putting another BKT in my hair.

I will be putting the Marcia Teixeira in my hair this weekend at home, I pray everything goes well.

Anybody who has used Marcia Teixeira brand, did you follow the instructions to the 'T"? I have natural hair with no other chemicals on it and it suggested using peroxide with the pre-treatment wash to help open the cuticle. Just curious, ANY HELP goes a long way.

I saw this. Wouldn't the peroxide irritate the scalp though since it's mixed in with the shampoo which is going to come into contact with the skin.

excerpts from the Marcia Teixeira training manual:

Tips for BKT:

“Clients that require the addition of color or highlight must receive these services BEFORE a Brazilian Keratin Treatment is performed. Applying color or highlights before the Brazilian Keratin Treatment will create a better overall result and will prolong the life of the color or lightening service. The Brazilian Keratin Treatment creates a smooth, compact and very slick surface on the hair shaft. This treatment decreases hair porosity making it more resistant to every day wear and environmental pollutants. The treatment will also make the hair less likely to absorb the color or lightening agents.

FOR PERMANENT COLOR OR HIGHLIGHTS:

Apply permanent color or highlights as you normally would. Be sure to follow the product manufacturer’s instructions and heed all precautions while performing the service. After the color or highlight service is complete, use the Clarifying/Pre-Treatment shampoo. This special shampoo will pre-treat and prepare the hair for the Brazilian Keratin Treatment of your choice.

FOR SEMI-PERMANENT COLOR:

Semi-permanent color is designed to deposit color on the outside of the hair shaft on top of the cuticle. The Clarifying/Pre-Treatment shampoo will remove semi-permanent color. To prevent this from happening it is important to FIRST cleanse the hair with Clarifying/Pre-Treatment shampoo, apply semi-permanent color SECOND, and then carefully rinse the hair with only clean water to remove ALL excess semi-permanent color. Then THIRD, apply the Brazilian Keratin Treatment of your choice.

NOTE: in the client wants color or highlights AFTER doing the Brazilian Keratin Treatment, they MUST wait at least 2 to 3 weeks in order for the cuticle to reopen enough to absorb the color.”

READ THIS PEOPLE!

“Until being introduced to the Brazilian Keratin Treatment, the majority of your clients with ethnic-textured, particularly coarse, resistant hair have had no options other than traditional relaxer or choosing to keep their naturally textured hair. Because of this, they may be very skeptical about the results you can now offer without the use of harsh, high pH chemicals. Not only will their hair be soft, smooth and easy to manage, but there will be no risk of breakage as there is with traditional relaxers.

NATURAL HAIR: does the client have natural hair and want to lose their frizz and have soft curls, or is their goal to have straight hair?

If they want to lose their frizz and have soft curls, use either the Chocolate Extreme De-Frizzing Treatment or the Advanced Formula. With either of these treatments, they will lose 60% to 80% of their curl after first treatment. Please explain to them CLEARLY that it is NOT realistic to expect straight results until at least the third time the treatment is repeated. Make sure they are aware that there will always be a difference between the texture of their new growth and their already treated hair.

If the client wants a straighter texture and you are absolutely certain that their hair is natural – definitely has not been chemically relaxed, it is safe to use a permanent color to open the cuticle more than it would be from the clarifying shampoos alone. This will result in less curl and a straighter effect. It will still take up to 3 treatments for their hair to be very straight, and again, make sure they are aware that there will always be a difference between the texture of their new growth and their already treated hair.

RELAXED HAIR: if the client has relaxed hair, is their goal to transition away from using high pH chemic relaxers, or do they want to continue to have straight hair?

If the client wants to transition away from using high pH chemical relaxers, use either the Chocolate Extreme De-Frizzing Treatment or the Advanced Formula and do the treatment from roots to ends. Make sure they are aware that there will always be a difference between the texture of their new growth and their already treated hair. They can repeat the treatment as often as they like. Just as is the case with natural hair, it will take at lease 3 treatments for each section of new growth to become straight.

If the client wants to continue to have straight hair, use a mild relaxer for ½ of the regular time to open the cuticle. Instead of using a neutralizer, wash the hair once and thoroughly with our clarifying shampoo to remove any residue. Then use either the Chocolate Extreme De-Frizzing Treatment or the Advanced Formula and do the treatment from roots to ends."

pictorial coming soon

READ THIS PEOPLE!

“Until being introduced to the Brazilian Keratin Treatment, the majority of your clients with ethnic-textured, particularly coarse, resistant hair have had no options other than traditional relaxer or choosing to keep their naturally textured hair. Because of this, they may be very skeptical about the results you can now offer without the use of harsh, high pH chemicals. Not only will their hair be soft, smooth and easy to manage, but there will be no risk of breakage as there is with traditional relaxers.

NATURAL HAIR: does the client have natural hair and want to lose their frizz and have soft curls, or is their goal to have straight hair?

If they want to lose their frizz and have soft curls, use either the Chocolate Extreme De-Frizzing Treatment or the Advanced Formula. With either of these treatments, they will lose 60% to 80% of their curl after first treatment. Please explain to them CLEARLY that it is NOT realistic to expect straight results until at least the third time the treatment is repeated. Make sure they are aware that there will always be a difference between the texture of their new growth and their already treated hair.

If the client wants a straighter texture and you are absolutely certain that their hair is natural – definitely has not been chemically relaxed, it is safe to use a permanent color to open the cuticle more than it would be from the clarifying shampoos alone. This will result in less curl and a straighter effect. It will still take up to 3 treatments for their hair to be very straight, and again, make sure they are aware that there will always be a difference between the texture of their new growth and their already treated hair.

RELAXED HAIR: if the client has relaxed hair, is their goal to transition away from using high pH chemic relaxers, or do they want to continue to have straight hair?

If the client wants to transition away from using high pH chemical relaxers, use either the Chocolate Extreme De-Frizzing Treatment or the Advanced Formula and do the treatment from roots to ends. Make sure they are aware that there will always be a difference between the texture of their new growth and their already treated hair. They can repeat the treatment as often as they like. Just as is the case with natural hair, it will take at lease 3 treatments for each section of new growth to become straight.

If the client wants to continue to have straight hair, use a mild relaxer for ½ of the regular time to open the cuticle. Instead of using a neutralizer, wash the hair once and thoroughly with our clarifying shampoo to remove any residue. Then use either the Chocolate Extreme De-Frizzing Treatment or the Advanced Formula and do the treatment from roots to ends."

pictorial coming soon

I really like how they address natural ethnic hair and not suggest that we HAVE to relax before BKT. So many other companies as soon as the question of natural afro hair is brought up they immediately jump to a relaxer first. Sorry but I don't want to damage my hair just for the sake of having the BKT stick. Thanks MB!

Last edited:

Tips for BKT:

“Clients that require the addition of color or highlight must receive these services BEFORE a Brazilian Keratin Treatment is performed. Applying color or highlights before the Brazilian Keratin Treatment will create a better overall result and will prolong the life of the color or lightening service. The Brazilian Keratin Treatment creates a smooth, compact and very slick surface on the hair shaft. This treatment decreases hair porosity making it more resistant to every day wear and environmental pollutants. The treatment will also make the hair less likely to absorb the color or lightening agents.

FOR PERMANENT COLOR OR HIGHLIGHTS:

Apply permanent color or highlights as you normally would. Be sure to follow the product manufacturer’s instructions and heed all precautions while performing the service. After the color or highlight service is complete, use the Clarifying/Pre-Treatment shampoo. This special shampoo will pre-treat and prepare the hair for the Brazilian Keratin Treatment of your choice.

FOR SEMI-PERMANENT COLOR:

Semi-permanent color is designed to deposit color on the outside of the hair shaft on top of the cuticle. The Clarifying/Pre-Treatment shampoo will remove semi-permanent color. To prevent this from happening it is important to FIRST cleanse the hair with Clarifying/Pre-Treatment shampoo, apply semi-permanent color SECOND, and then carefully rinse the hair with only clean water to remove ALL excess semi-permanent color. Then THIRD, apply the Brazilian Keratin Treatment of your choice.

NOTE: in the client wants color or highlights AFTER doing the Brazilian Keratin Treatment, they MUST wait at least 2 to 3 weeks in order for the cuticle to reopen enough to absorb the color.”

READ THIS PEOPLE!

pictorial coming soon

Wouldn't the relaxer still be working if a neutralizing shapmoo isn't used? Or would the clarifying shampoo take care of that?

I wish we had more information from long term users. I have an appointment next week and I really need more information before I seal the deal.

Hello my Hair inspired peeps,

Sorry in advance for this being so long...

So here’s the story…I installed my Arjuni for the second time the first week of January. I was trying to stretch that sucker out for at least 10 weeks, but my growth said no can do. So I figured I could just take it down next weekend. Well, turns out I am quite impatient. A chain of pm’s yesterday inspired me to take down my overgrown install and BKT my hair before my next install. So I took it down, washed, clarified and did my BKT process last night. I decided I wanted to test out the top 2 BKT’s fully on my hair, not just my edges…so I applied (actually my SO applied, he wanted me to make sure I mentioned that is was HE who did it, lol) Marcia Teixeira Chocolate to one side of my head, and Global Keratin 4% to the other side of my head.

As promised, I am posting my step by step pictorial and before and after photos.

First note, I previously did a full BKT with QOD Max. It made my hair soft, but I knew I could get better results.

FYI: Just because you have BKT’d before does not mean your hair is no longer virgin. If the directions say do “this” for virgin hair, your hair is virgin if it has not been chemically processed. I learned this AFTER I applied the Marcia. So if your hair is not chemically processed (ie relaxer, color, highlights, perm) please add the 20 volume developer to the pre-treatment shampoo if you are using Marcia Teixeira. I did NOT do this, and I am pissed that I didn’t. My results came out fab, but I learned they could have been BETTER and lasted LONGER had I done this.

Now for the entertainment……..

Global was used on the right side

Tools used:

Global Keratin clarifying shampoo

Global Keratin 4% keratin complex strawberry, approximately 1-1.5oz for half head

Product application bowl

Product application brush

Towel

Reusable vinyl gloves

Thermal tension comb

Fine tooth comb

Shower comb

Medium tooth comb

Blow dryer

Miniglide flat iron

H2Pro 204LE ceramic flat iron, 450 F

Thermal glove

Jaw clips

FAN

100_2470.jpg

NOTE: all items listed above not pictured
Global side

Step 1: Wash hair with Global clarifying shampoo TWICE. I left it on for about 5-7 minutes the second lather. My hair felt strangely soft after the shampoo, not brittle at all. It had that squeaky clean feeling though, so it was a little tangly at first.

Global side after clarifying wash

100_2448.jpg

100_2449.jpg

Step 2: Naked blow dry. I used the tension method to do this and on high heat. I didn’t stretch it too much because it was late, I was lazy and I didn’t want to put too much stress on my unprotected hair. It didn’t really tangle and was very very soft when I finished.

Global side after naked blow dry

100_2455-1.jpg

100_2454-1.jpg

Step 3: Section into two sections.

Hair sectioned off.

100_2457.jpg

Step 4: Prepare Keratin. I poured about 1.5oz of the Global Keratin into the application bowl. (bowl has lines for measuring).

Step 5: Apply keratin. The keratin was applied in approximately 1” sections. Very little product was used.

Global side

Amount of keratin applied to each section. We double dipped because my hair is VERY thick, so we used twice as much as what it shown in this pic.

100_2460.jpg

Size of section applied to at a time. Worked in sections this size all the way through, the follow through with the fine tooth comb, combing from tip to root to evenly distribute the keratin.

100_2459.jpg

Global side after all of the keratin was applied.

100_2461.jpg

Step 6: Blow dry keratin on to hair. I used the comb attachment to blow dry the keratin on to my hair. The key is to dry the keratin on to the hair, NOT straighten it. I used medium heat on low force. I dried it in small sections working slowly. Make sure it is dried completely before proceeding.

Global side after keratin blow dried on.

100_2474.jpg

Step 7: Section hair into 2 sections.

Step 8: Take 1” sections of hair and straighten roots with Miniglide. I went over the roots about two passes with the Miniglide. After Minigliding a section, I immediately followed with my tension comb and H2Pro flat iron using the comb chase method. I only comb chased once because my SO is new to flat ironing (I like my hair too much to see it on the floor, lol) and I couldn’t hold the comb well. After the comb chase, I did about 5 more passes with the flat iron. I repeated this for the rest of the Global side of my head. Oh, and I put on my thermal glove for this part so I wouldn’t burn my hand.

Global side after flat iron!

100_2479.jpg

100_2478.jpg

100_2481.jpg

Global side before

100_2448.jpg

Global side After

100_2478.jpg

100_2481.jpg

Last edited:
continued

Marcia Teixeira was used on the left side

Tools used:

Marcia Teixeira Pre-Treatment shampoo

Marcia Teixeira Chocolate De-Frizzing Treatment, 2oz for half head

Product application bowl

Product application brush

Towel

Reusable vinyl gloves

Thermal tension comb

Fine tooth comb

Shower comb

Medium tooth comb

Blow dryer

Miniglide flat iron

H2Pro 204LE ceramic flat iron, 450 F

Thermal glove

Jaw clips

FAN

100_2470.jpg

NOTE: all items listed above not pictured

Marcia side

Step 1: Wash hair with Marcia Pre-treatment shampoo TWICE. The directions said to do it 3 times and add 20 volume developer, but I was too lazy to go to the BSS, and too lazy to lather one more time *sigh*. I left it on for about 5-7 minutes the second lather. This side of my hair felt cleaner softer than the Global side, but not as squeaky. It didn’t get tangly at all either.

Marcia side after clarifying wash

100_2445.jpg

100_2447.jpg

Step 2: Naked blow dry. I used the tension method to do this and on high heat. I didn’t stretch it too much because it was late, I was lazy and I didn’t want to put too much stress on my unprotected hair. It didn’t really tangle and was very very soft when I finished. This side felt very thick at the roots

Marcia side after naked blow dry

100_2450.jpg

100_2454.jpg

Step 3: Section into two sections.

Hair sectioned off.

100_2457.jpg

Step 4: Prepare Keratin. I poured 2oz of the Marcia Teixeira Chocolate De-frizzing Treatment into the application bowl. (bowl has lines for measuring).

Step 5: Apply keratin. The keratin was applied in approximately 1” sections. The Marcia is thicker than the Global and glided right on. It did require a little more product due to the thicker density.

Marcia side

Amount of keratin applied to each section.

100_2463.jpg

Size of section applied to at a time. Worked in sections this size all the way through, the follow through with the fine tooth comb, combing from tip to root to evenly distribute the keratin. I must admit, my SO did not comb through all of this section because Mr. Know It All (lol) thought it was coated well enough just by using the application brush. (He’s a butthead) It did feel well coated, though.

100_2462.jpg

Marcia side after all of the keratin was applied.

100_2467.jpg

Step 6: Blow dry keratin on to hair. I used the comb attachment to blow dry the keratin on to my hair. The key is to dry the keratin on to the hair, NOT straighten it. I used medium heat on low force. I dried it in small sections working slowly. Make sure it is dried completely before proceeding. I spent more time on this side because it require more drying time and felt so much thicker than the other side.

Marcia side after keratin blow dried on.

100_2472.jpg

Step 7: Section hair into 2 sections.

Step 8: Take 1” sections of hair and straighten roots with Miniglide. I went over the roots about three passes with the Miniglide. After Minigliding a section, I immediately followed with my tension comb and H2Pro flat iron using the comb chase method. I only comb chased once because my SO is new to flat ironing (I like my hair too much to see it on the floor, lol) and I couldn’t hold the comb well. After the comb chase, I did about 5-7 more passes with the flat iron. I repeated this for the rest of the Marcia side of my head.

Marcia side after flat iron!

100_2484.jpg

100_2487.jpg

Marcia side before

100_2447.jpg

Marcia side After

100_2484.jpg

100_2487.jpg

Before and After pics
Global

100_2479.jpg

Marcia

100_2484.jpg

Global and Marcia together

100_2486.jpg

100_2495.jpg

Do you notice any difference???

What I noticed:

1. The Global side is hanging slightly flatter than the Marcia side. I blame this on #1 my lack of following the directions with the developer and shampoo, and #2 my butthead SO not combing it all the way through and #3, my flat iron was extremely caked with product after doing the Global side, I did the Marcia side last.

eta: I went over my whole head today with the flat iron (1 pass) and the Marcia side is bangin! It flattened out quite a bit and has a lot more swang now than the Global side. (pic is with the red shirt)
2. The Marcia side feels silkier and softer. I think I may have used slightly too much product on this side, so it is not AS swangy and the other side. It does have swang, just a little heavier.

3. Marcia side has more shine than the Global side.

4, The Marcia side is fuller all together.

Observations:

I feel like I won’t see the true results of this treatment until after the first wash. Once I am able to wash all of the product off, then I can see what has truly happened to my hair. I have a feeling there will be a very noticeable difference between the two sides. I will report back on Sunday night/Monday J

Oh, and I totally didn’t use enough ventilation. At first, my eyes were burning something fierce with the Global. Then I decided to go ahead an turn on the fans and open the door. Burning and fumes were all gone J Ventilation is OH SO VERY IMPORTANT

Last edited:
I did QOD Max last weekend and I really liked the treatment. QOD Max got all of my hair straight expect for the crown, it is still wavy, DH got the crown straight. I ordered OK Keratin now I want to try Marcia. Dang. Decisions, decisions..lol.

I did QOD Max last weekend and I really liked the treatment. QOD Max got all of my hair straight expect for the crown, it is still wavy, DH got the crown straight. I ordered OK Keratin now I want to try Marcia. Dang. Decisions, decisions..lol.

I know! I am happy with QOD Gold and now Miss Bossy has done this and I'm wanting to do the Marcia treatment like yesterday. I see myself becoming a serious PJ with the BKT:wallbash:.

Hey everyone, I just wanted to give a quick warning about Marcia Teixeira. I used the Advanced formula (same day rinse out) and it got my hair EXTREMELY STRAIGHT on the first try. I'm a 4a natural, and I had completely virgin hair. As I mentioned in my original post-treatment post, I saw the same thing happen to a 4b natural who was at the salon with me.

After the rinse out, our hair was quite straight. I had not been expecting this on my virgin Type 4 hair. After the shock and awe of having straight hair again (and all of the myriad real-life compliments--I had forgotten the power of straight hair, LOL) wore off, I was more than a little disappointed. I'd been hoping for a cute curly fro a la Sheba, but my hair was WAY too straight for a wash-n-go. I didn't really have any styling options beyond keeping it flat ironed, or wearing a braidout or bun.

For those who are looking to wear their hair straight most of the time, I think Marcia Teixeira Advanced would be an excellent option. If you just want a little loosening and manageability, this might not be the best option, since it is strong. I realize that most ladies here would be using the 3-day formula, so this might not be an issue. Just wanted to throw this info out there, in case it helps someone. :yep:

Hey everyone, I just wanted to give a quick warning about Marcia Teixeira. I used the Advanced formula (same day rinse out) and it got my hair EXTREMELY STRAIGHT on the first try. I'm a 4a natural, and I had completely virgin hair. As I mentioned in my original post-treatment post, I saw the same thing happen to a 4b natural who was at the salon with me.

After the rinse out, our hair was quite straight. I had not been expecting this on my virgin Type 4 hair. After the shock and awe of having straight hair again (and all of the myriad real-life compliments--I had forgotten the power of straight hair, LOL) wore off, I was more than a little disappointed. I'd been hoping for a cute curly fro a la Sheba, but my hair was WAY too straight for a wash-n-go. I didn't really have any styling options beyond keeping it flat ironed, or wearing a braidout or bun.

For those who are looking to wear their hair straight most of the time, I think Marcia Teixeira Advanced would be an excellent option. If you just want a little loosening and manageability, this might not be the best option, since it is strong. I realize that most ladies here would be using the 3-day formula, so this might not be an issue. Just wanted to throw this info out there, in case it helps someone. :yep:

Hey mstar, have you noticed any reversion yet? In the book it says the Advanced formula straightens the best, but it only lasts about 6-8 weeks versus the 3-4 months with the regular treatments. If it lasts longer, I may give that one a try on my edges :yep:

Hey mstar, have you noticed any reversion yet? In the book it says the Advanced formula straightens the best, but it only lasts about 6-8 weeks versus the 3-4 months with the regular treatments. If it lasts longer, I may give that one a try on my edges :yep:
Yes, it has started to revert. I'm just about at the 8-week point, and my hair is looking better to me; as in, it's less straight. The glossiness is not there anymore, but my strands are still noticeably thicker (MUCH thicker), and my hair still dries really quickly. Also, I haven't suffered any additional heat damage, so the treatment is obviously still protecting my strands.

I'm about to post an overly long update, LOL...hopefully that will explain a little more.

So, an update: next Wednesday, it will have been two months since I got the BKT! Time really flies.

My ends were really damaged from the flat iron portion of the treatment, so I had to chop off quite a bit. :( I was really depressed to see my hair noticeably shorter, but I just did a mini length check, and it's been growing nicely! I'm pretty pleased with my progress.

I didn't really know what to do with my newly straight hair, so I took to rollersetting and flat ironing. It was a big adjustment, since I'm used to wetting my hair daily and co-washing frequently. Going for 7-10 days without washing was torture. As the new growth started to appear, it was hard to keep it manageable without wetting my hair, so I've been bunning a lot (wearing a sleek mini chignon with a straight bang). The sleek chignon was cute at first, but it got old quickly, LOL. :lol: I don't like feeling trapped into wearing my hair back everyday.

My original plan was to weave it up, but I came down with shingles (on my neck), so the idea of sitting for a weave or braids was out of the question. :nono: I've had the shingles for a month now, and it is starting to get better. I will get my weave installed next week, and I'll probably continue to weave (and BKT) for the rest of the year.

The BKT allowed me to finally learn how to heat style my own hair, and I've been doing a pretty good job! I bought a 100% solid ceramic iron (Hana Elite), and it's made a big difference in my results. I've been learning as I go, and I finally have my routine down pat. I feel confident that I could apply my next BKT at home.

For me, being a natural didn't offer the versatility that I had hoped for. Because I have fine, heat-sensitive hair, I wasn't able to get my hair pressed without damage--I always ended up having to chop off all my progress due to straight ends. BKT is allowing me to have the versatility that I'd dreamed of...as the treatment wears off, my little curlies are coming back, and I can now do a WnG. With the knowledge I have now, I think I'll be able to tweak my subsequent BKT treatments for even better results.

Final thoughts: This has been a huge learning experience for me...this is the first time I've worn my own hair out in 15 years. I hate that I've used so much heat over the past 2 months, but I'm also glad that I learned how to be responsible with it, and I picked up new skills that allow me to be more confident about being a DIY'er.

I'm learning a lot, and I think it will just continue to get better. :)

ETA: Oh yeah, I hennaed before my BKT, and will continue to do that. The keratin treatment sealed in the henna, and the color is brilliant.

Last edited:
where in the heck do i get that marcia??

nevermind... just went to ebay. dang, i have 2 qod's to use up lol

Last edited:
Formaldehyde is naturally produced in small amounts in our bodies.
It is used in the production of fertilizer, paper, plywood, and urea-formaldehyde resins. It is also used as a preservative in some foods and in many products used around the house, such as antiseptics, medicines, cosmetics and personal care products. (It is also used as a preservative in vaccines and given to children. Other exposure to formaldehyde occurs from out-gassing when synthetic materials such as carpets and foam used in cushions etc reach a certain temperature. Eds note)

What happens to formaldehyde when it enters the environment?

Formaldehyde dissolves easily but does not last a long time in water.
Most formaldehyde in the air breaks down during the day.
The breakdown products of formaldehyde are formic acid and carbon monoxide.
Formaldehyde does not build up in plants and animals.

How might I be exposed to formaldehyde?

Smog is a major source of formaldehyde exposure.
Cigarettes and other tobacco products, gas cookers, and open fireplaces are sources of formaldehyde exposure.
It is used in many industries and in hospitals and laboratories.
Formaldehyde is given off as a gas from the manufactured wood products used in new mobile homes.
The amount of formaldehyde in foods is very small.
Household sources, such as fibreglass, carpets, foam in cushions, permanent press fabrics, paper products, household cleaners, shampoos, bubble bath, medicines and disinfectants.

How can formaldehyde affect my health?

Low levels of formaldehyde can cause irritation of the eyes, nose, throat, and skin. It is possible that people with asthma may be more sensitive to the effects of inhaled formaldehyde. Drinking large amounts of formaldehyde can cause severe pain, vomiting, coma, and possible death.

How likely is formaldehyde to cause cancer?

Some studies of people exposed to formaldehyde in workplace air found more cases of cancer of the nose and throat than expected, but other studies did not confirm this finding.

In animal studies, rats exposed to high levels of formaldehyde in air developed nose cancer. The Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) has determined that formaldehyde may reasonably be anticipated to be a carcinogen. (No long term studies have been done on low-level exposure to formaldehyde from multiple sources absorbed into the system over many years. Eds note)

I found this online during my research, I thought it would be helpful to others.

Formaldehyde is naturally produced in small amounts in our bodies.
It is used in the production of fertilizer, paper, plywood, and urea-formaldehyde resins. It is also used as a preservative in some foods and in many products used around the house, such as antiseptics, medicines, cosmetics and personal care products. (It is also used as a preservative in vaccines and given to children. Other exposure to formaldehyde occurs from out-gassing when synthetic materials such as carpets and foam used in cushions etc reach a certain temperature. Eds note)

What happens to formaldehyde when it enters the environment?

Formaldehyde dissolves easily but does not last a long time in water.
Most formaldehyde in the air breaks down during the day.
The breakdown products of formaldehyde are formic acid and carbon monoxide.
Formaldehyde does not build up in plants and animals.

How might I be exposed to formaldehyde?

Smog is a major source of formaldehyde exposure.
Cigarettes and other tobacco products, gas cookers, and open fireplaces are sources of formaldehyde exposure.
It is used in many industries and in hospitals and laboratories.
Formaldehyde is given off as a gas from the manufactured wood products used in new mobile homes.
The amount of formaldehyde in foods is very small.
Household sources, such as fibreglass, carpets, foam in cushions, permanent press fabrics, paper products, household cleaners, shampoos, bubble bath, medicines and disinfectants.

How can formaldehyde affect my health?

Low levels of formaldehyde can cause irritation of the eyes, nose, throat, and skin. It is possible that people with asthma may be more sensitive to the effects of inhaled formaldehyde. Drinking large amounts of formaldehyde can cause severe pain, vomiting, coma, and possible death.

How likely is formaldehyde to cause cancer?

Some studies of people exposed to formaldehyde in workplace air found more cases of cancer of the nose and throat than expected, but other studies did not confirm this finding.

In animal studies, rats exposed to high levels of formaldehyde in air developed nose cancer. The Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) has determined that formaldehyde may reasonably be anticipated to be a carcinogen. (No long term studies have been done on low-level exposure to formaldehyde from multiple sources absorbed into the system over many years. Eds note)

I found this online during my research, I thought it would be helpful to others.

The formaldehyde thing has been beat to death.:deadhorse:I think most of us here in the support thread have already done the research and weighed the pros and cons. Thanks though.

Ladies, here's the entire Marcia Teixeira Training Manual in .pdf format. Enjoy!

You rock!:rocker: I'm sure these tips can be applied to most of the other BKT's as well.

ETA: Wow I picked up some good tips from the manual. It said that you could blow dry the hair after the treatment is on on the cold setting. Also I think I'm going to invest in a miniglide. I actually emailed Victor Sabino (Moisture Block creator) about adding 20 volume peroxide to the pretreatment shampoo for virgin hair and he said that he never does this for virgin hair and that the trick to getting straighter, longer lasting results on natural AA hair is to use a bit more of the treatment than you normally would. I've always tried to use less because I didn't want to deal with the fumes but I will try more next time.

Last edited:
You rock!:rocker: I'm sure these tips can be applied to most of the other BKT's as well.

ETA: Wow I picked up some good tips from the manual. It said that you could blow dry the hair after the treatment is on on the cold setting. Also I think I'm going to invest in a miniglide. I actually emailed Victor Sabino (Moisture Block creator) about adding 20 volume peroxide to the pretreatment shampoo for virgin hair and he said that he never does this for virgin hair and that the trick to getting straighter, longer lasting results on natural AA hair is too use a bit more of the treatment than you normally would. I always tried to use less because I didn't want to deal with the fumes but I will try more next time.

Good to know about the 20 volume peroxide. I purchused a 10 volume peroxide, thinking it would help a little, but not so strong.

Back