Keratin Treatment Support Thread

Diamond, I use olive oil and jojoba oil to pre-poo all the time. My BKT was fine afterwards.

Does anyone only get their roots done? I am about to get my second BKT, but I only want my roots done. I don't want my curl pattern to be any looser on the previously applied sections. Also, did anyone have any shedding with BKT?

I'm about to try just doing my roots today. I'll let you know how it goes. also Brittanynic16 does roots-only apps here's a vid link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EHVmFPL2TI

I'm about to try just doing my roots today. I'll let you know how it goes. also Brittanynic16 does roots-only apps here's a vid link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EHVmFPL2TI

Alright, I did a roots-only BKT with OK Keratin that I had leftover. Turned out fine. Things I did different:

1.Did a moisturizing DC with heat cap right before I BKT'd.

2.Applied BKT to roots only.

3.Applied heat protectant to untreated hair.

I noticed no lil hairs on my shirt after I was done flat-ironing, and my hair feels nice and smooth. Applied moisturizer to my hair afterwards, and sealed with my oil mix. We'll see how things are going after a few days.

Attachments

• Photo on 2010-01-17 at 19.05.jpg
    Photo on 2010-01-17 at 19.05.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 77
Looks purrrrdy! How many weeks post are you, Myangeleyez? How do you like your experience with the OK Keratin, so far? That's my next choice, I think. Unless someone comes up in here raving about that Encantu. I like the looks of the ingredients :sekret:

Looks purrrrdy! How many weeks post are you, Myangeleyez? How do you like your experience with the OK Keratin, so far? That's my next choice, I think. Unless someone comes up in here raving about that Encantu. I like the looks of the ingredients :sekret:

I'm 14 weeks post :grin:, and OK Keratin is comparable to dh, IMO. I am going to get Global 4% or Encantu...leaning more towards Global, though. I never wash my hair same day, so 72 hour wait won't bother me a bit. I like Encantu's ingredients, too:yep:. I dunno...Maybe I'll try Encantu first:look:. :grin:

Alright, I did a roots-only BKT with OK Keratin that I had leftover. Turned out fine. Things I did different:

I noticed no lil hairs on my shirt after I was done flat-ironing, and my hair feels nice and smooth. Applied moisturizer to my hair afterwards, and sealed with my oil mix. We'll see how things are going after a few days.

Your roots and really all your hair came out great. I look forward to hear how things go for you. I'm thinking of going that same route. About to check out that youtube video you posted. Thanks again.

I read every post and finally did it! I used Global 4% on my natural hair. It was not in perfect condition and I dare say that I lost many strands - but that is not due to the treatment but my own ineptitude. Right now its straight and light (have not had my hair straight in years). I'm going to try and wait the 72 hours before washing but its going to be hard since I'm a co-wash everyday kind of person.

By the way Sheba - Thanks on the SSK info. I've always had them but did not know what caused them - never cut them out and had splits as a result. I think I may have to do another BC as a result of the splits and SSKs, I'm just waiting until my bald spots fill in - I lost alot of hair after DS was born. I had shiny smooth bald spots everywhere. Some have just started to grow in.
Before
http://www.notyourmamasclothdiapers.com/sashahair/pic 1.jpg

After
http://www.notyourmamasclothdiapers.com/sashahair/pic_10.jpg

Last edited:
Subscribing...
I just ordered Dream Hair and I'm freaking out a little.
I need to read through this entire thread. :spinning:

Lots of great info in the thread. I had my 1st DH application done at the salon. I learned quickly that you have to be light handed on the application. My stylist used my whole sample (about 2oz), and only the front half of my head was BKT'd. The results were great, but the fumes were crazy and almost intolerable. I recently did my own home application and didn't have those same issues. I'm not a great flat ironer, so I think my results weren't as great as they could be. I really need to up my flat ironing game. Good luck on your BKT. Look fwd to seeing pics.

Good gracious, I'm having scalp issues for the first time since I joined the board. :nono:

My scalp is flaking off in huge chunks of dry skin...similar to dandruff, but I can tell it's actually peeling skin. My stylist did not keep the BKT solution off of my scalp--in fact, she saturated my hair and scalp with the treatment, and then I chose to let it stay on overnight, instead of washing it out right away.

At the time, I couldn't recall if this was the proper way to do it (this is a big thread, with so much information), so I didn't say anything. Now I'm positive that this was a big mistake. :ohwell: I haven't had flaky scalp since my relaxer days...and I know I can't grow healthy hair from an unhealthy scalp.

Live and learn...

Good gracious, I'm having scalp issues for the first time since I joined the board. :nono:

My scalp is flaking off in huge chunks of dry skin...similar to dandruff, but I can tell it's actually peeling skin. My stylist did not keep the BKT solution off of my scalp--in fact, she saturated my hair and scalp with the treatment, and then I chose to let it stay on overnight, instead of washing it out right away.

At the time, I couldn't recall if this was the proper way to do it (this is a big thread, with so much information), so I didn't say anything. Now I'm positive that this was a big mistake. :ohwell: I haven't had flaky scalp since my relaxer days...and I know I can't grow healthy hair from an unhealthy scalp.

Live and learn...

Mstar, I am so sorry to hear about your scalp. Maybe you can do an hot oil treatment with extra virgin coconut oil on your scalp to get the flakes under control.

Live and learn...

Oh no! I can't believe she put it on your scalp like that. This is why I stay FAR away from stylists. Do you feel comfortable doing it yourself? If so make sure you READ READ READ before application and ask MANY questions so you don't ruin your hair and scalp.

I read every post and finally did it! I used Global 4% on my natural hair. It was not in perfect condition and I dare say that I lost many strands - but that is not due to the treatment but my own ineptitude. Right now its straight and light (have not had my hair straight in years). I'm going to try and wait the 72 hours before washing but its going to be hard since I'm a co-wash everyday kind of person.

By the way Sheba - Thanks on the SSK info. I've always had them but did not know what caused them - never cut them out and had splits as a result. I think I may have to do another BC as a result of the splits and SSKs, I'm just waiting until my bald spots fill in - I lost alot of hair after DS was born. I had shiny smooth bald spots everywhere. Some have just started to grow in.
Before
http://www.notyourmamasclothdiapers.com/sashahair/pic 1.jpg

After
http://www.notyourmamasclothdiapers.com/sashahair/pic 10.jpg

I get an error when I click the "After" link.

Live and learn...
I try to take all measure to avoid getting the solution on my scalp because the one time I wasn't careful, I got some on the front and my skin started scaling off. I used olive oils and jojoba oils treatments before shampooing too help get the dead skin up. I am sorry that happened to you, all BKT treatments instructions state avoid getting on scalp.

ETA: When I am careful not to get it on my scalp, I have no problems at all with flaking. I only had that problem when I was careless that one time.

Last edited:
I try to take all measure to avoid getting the solution on my scalp because the one time I wasn't careful, I got some on the front and my skin started scaling off. I used olive oils and jojoba oils treatments before shampooing too help get the dead skin up. I am sorry that happened to you, all BKT treatments instructions state avoid getting on scalp.

ETA: When I am careful not to get it on my scalp, I have no problems at all with flaking. I only had that problem when I was careless that one time.

How long did it take to clear up using your oil prepoo. I have the same issue and my scalp is giving me the blues.

Last night I washed my hair which was after the 72 hour waiting period... I loved how soft my natural hair was. I loved the curls, but when I went to blow dry and flat iron, the ends were crazy looking. I think I will need to cut those off.

I went in this morning to the salon for a wash & condition (she didnt know I washed the night before) and she added 1 track of indian wavy just to help thicken up the ends. She wants to wait to cut the rest off, as she has trimmed about a good 3 inches off, but being in braids for so long, I figure that was bound to happen.

So far I love it, I can't wait until the 2nd and 3rd BKT, as it can only improve. I just need to work on getting my hair to a healthy state, where my hair is thicker. I might try Mega-Tek, but I don't want to do too much all at once.

If all goes well, she wants me to be the "spokeswoman" in her shop for BKT. A lot of her clients are afraid to try this and just want relaxers, which is cool, but its a great alternative for natural ladies too.

I'm so happy many of you laid the path, provided added info and took the plunge before me or I might still be in braids.... damaging my front hair line even more. Thank you.

(I will post photos soon, I'm still rebuilding my hard drive)

Oh no! I can't believe she put it on your scalp like that. This is why I stay FAR away from stylists. Do you feel comfortable doing it yourself? If so make sure you READ READ READ before application and ask MANY questions so you don't ruin your hair and scalp.
Thanks for all the replies, ladies! Ugh, my scalp looks horrible. :sad: There is still tons of skin peeling off. I had to scratch off as much as I could and comb the skin out of my hair, because it looked awful. :nono:

Muse, I wasn't ready to attempt self-application for my first BKT, but now that my hair is straighter, I think I could probably do it on my own next time. Honestly, I knew a lot more about BKT than the stylist did, lol. I will call her tomorrow and let her know to avoid getting it on the scalp.

My first wash went well. I pre-pooed with Burt's Bees Avocado Butter, shampooed with Cocoa Pink Princess Poo, and used CHI Nourish Intense Silk Hair Masque and Komaza Olive Moisture Mask for the DC.

Is it okay to use MSM products on BKT'd hair? My Afroveda Hibiscus Hair Oil would help my scalp issues, but I was scared to use it because of the sulfur.

Sending well wishes and speedy healing to your scalp, Mstar :bighug:

Do you think you might need to see a derm?

I use MSM products on my hair. I don't avoid anything but harsh sulfates, sodium chloride and sea salt.

I am finding that my hair does not clump nicely with gels as it used to prior to BKT. So I am trying different curl creams etc. I tried Tigi Leave in Moisturiser and Curls Rock Amplifier. It works great- really good definition. Better than gels on my BKT hair.

How long did it take to clear up using your oil prepoo. I have the same issue and my scalp is giving me the blues.
It took about 2 weeks. I had to do the oil pre-poos, then I used a non sulfate shampoo formulated for scalp health called Crown & Glory. I mix it with water and use a color applicator bottle to get it on my scalp and let it sit for about 5 mins before rinsing. I don't shampoo my entire head with that shampoo. In between shampoos I oiled my scalp with a Jason's vit E oil mixture. Castor oil would be good too. I had to do scratch ups to get the dead skin off before my pre-poos a couple of times.

Thanks for all the replies, ladies! Ugh, my scalp looks horrible. :sad: There is still tons of skin peeling off. I had to scratch off as much as I could and comb the skin out of my hair, because it looked awful. :nono:

Muse, I wasn't ready to attempt self-application for my first BKT, but now that my hair is straighter, I think I could probably do it on my own next time. Honestly, I knew a lot more about BKT than the stylist did, lol. I will call her tomorrow and let her know to avoid getting it on the scalp.

My first wash went well. I pre-pooed with Burt's Bees Avocado Butter, shampooed with Cocoa Pink Princess Poo, and used CHI Nourish Intense Silk Hair Masque and Komaza Olive Moisture Mask for the DC.

Is it okay to use MSM products on BKT'd hair? My Afroveda Hibiscus Hair Oil would help my scalp issues, but I was scared to use it because of the sulfur.
I think MSN would be fine, at this point you want to get your scalp back to balance. You could try to put it on your scalp only. That's what I did with my scalp shampoo.

I think the fact that you didn't shampoo after 3 days helpe the problem to be even worse. The BKT solution stayed on your scalp for a long time. Go to Curlmart, there are a couple of good sulfate free scalp treatment shampoos and conditioners on that site.

@ mstar - I'm glad you are going to call her and let her know not to put the treatment on future clients scalps. My goodness that's horrible.

Good luck & I hope your scalp heals soon.

Please keep us posted oh how your hair is doing. I am going to use this method when I do my BKT touch up. I like the idea of DCing before the BKT to prevent all the dryness and the use of the heat protectant on the length of the hair. I am also going to dial the heat down from 450 o_O!!

Please keep us posted oh how your hair is doing. I am going to use this method when I do my BKT touch up. I like the idea of DCing before the BKT to prevent all the dryness and the use of the heat protectant on the length of the hair. I am also going to dial the heat down from 450 o_O!!

Well, so far so good. I've been moisturizing withSuave Humectant and sealing with my oil mix (jojoba oil, coconut oil, wheat germ oil, sesame oil, and a fragrance oil for scent). My hair has stayed soft, and I have the usual amount of shedding and very little breakage, if any. :grin: I won't wash until tomorrow.

Well, so far so good. I've been moisturizing withSuave Humectant and sealing with my oil mix (jojoba oil, coconut oil, wheat germ oil, sesame oil, and a fragrance oil for scent). My hair has stayed soft, and I have the usual amount of shedding and very little breakage, if any. :grin: I won't wash until tomorrow.
Did you notice if the DC before the BKT stopped the BKT from adhering to the hair at the roots? Or have you washed yet since you touched up your roots.

That's my only question, we have read that the cuticle needs to be open in order to take the BKT treatment, but perhaps that's not true! That would will be great! It would solve a couple of problems I have with the BKT. I don't like to comb my hair out after the neckit blow dry. At least the neckit blow dry wouldn't be so neckit if I did a DC prior to the BD step.

Also I'm not going to do the heavy clarifying any more. I just got my Elucence shampoo and I will not use any shampoo stronger that moving forward.

I am offically transitioning. When the NFL playoffs are over I'm selling my Mizani Butter Blends kit ... no more relaxers for me...again..:wallbash:

It took about 2 weeks. I had to do the oil pre-poos, then I used a non sulfate shampoo formulated for scalp health called Crown & Glory. I mix it with water and use a color applicator bottle to get it on my scalp and let it sit for about 5 mins before rinsing. I don't shampoo my entire head with that shampoo. In between shampoos I oiled my scalp with a Jason's vit E oil mixture. Castor oil would be good too. I had to do scratch ups to get the dead skin off before my pre-poos a couple of times.

I think MSN would be fine, at this point you want to get your scalp back to balance. You could try to put it on your scalp only. That's what I did with my scalp shampoo.

I think the fact that you didn't shampoo after 3 days helpe the problem to be even worse. The BKT solution stayed on your scalp for a long time. Go to Curlmart, there are a couple of good sulfate free scalp treatment shampoos and conditioners on that site.
Thanks AJJ. I am going to use my MSM oil right now...it always makes my scalp feel great.

Well, the BKT solution was rinsed out of my hair the next day (it was the 1-day formula that could've been washed immediately, but we decided to let it stay on overnight, per the advice I got from several members here before the treatment.) Are you saying that it's important to do another wash a few days after the treatment?

I have a few good sulfate-free shampoos (the ones from Cocoa Pink are great), but are you guys using Elucence shampoos? Don'tspeakdefeat told me she uses it, but that made me confused...because Elucence contains sulfates. Elucence shampoos are my favorites, so I'd love to be able to keep using them with the BKT.

Would using indian herbal powdered shampoos be the equivalent using poos with sulfates or sodium chloride?

I'd like to poo with my amla, neem and shikakaki (sp?) powders this weekend but if they'll strip the BKT I just did then I wont use them and stick my Yes to Carrots poo instead.

^^ Hey JayJay, I think that combination of powders could really put a dent in your BKT. I would go with the yes to, just to be on the safe side.

Meanwhile, since I didn't get quite the detangling benefits with my most recent dreamhair BKT, I've braided my hair up and I'm cowashing my braids daily to every other day and wearing a wig. I have mixed amla, brahmi and shikakai teas with conditioner for some of my cowashes; but I'm not so worried about stripping my BKT because of the braids. I'll stay in braids until my next BKT in March.

Last edited:
I had great detangling benefits with DH initially then after a week, not so great.

^^ Hey JayJay, I think that combination of powders could really put a dent in your BKT. I would go with the yes to, just to be on the safe side.

Meanwhile, since I didn't get quite the detangling benefits with my most recent dreamhair BKT, I've braided my hair up and I'm cowashing my braids daily to every other day and wearing a wig. I have mixed amla, brahmi and shikakai teas with conditioner for some of my cowashes; but I'm not so worried about stripping my BKT because of the braids. I'll stay in braids until my next BKT in March.

Back