Keeping natural hair from breaking between presses...

dlove

Hair history: 4a/b all natural

I can probably keep a press for 2 straight weeks ( THANKS TO SABINO MOISTURE BLOCK) But I have a hard time keeping my hair from breaking off.

After the first 3 days after pressing I get absolutely no breakage. By the 4th day I get about 4-8 strands, by the 5th day 8-12, strands, by the 6th day 12 or more...you get the picture.

I hope I'm not sounding petty about loosing hair in a comb but,

If I am to retain length and fullness, how can I combat this breakage and keep my press so that I dont have to weekly press?

I'm looking for a non water based all natural rememdy if possible.

So what do you use and what do you do? Thanks in advance

I'm laying off the heat for now, but I did notice when I was pressing that I had more shedding and breakage the older my press got. I wonder if the hair just needs moisture? I don't know of a non water based product that you can use on your pressed hair to remedy this. Perhaps doing a very moisturizing deep conditioning treatment b4 you press--like Humectress--would help stave off some of the breakage. Anyone else?

To be honest, though shedding everyday is natural, you may be adding on to it by not cleaning your scalp every week. That will happen to people who are natural and relaxed. I know pressing can be a headache, but if you want to wear it straight you need to make sure that you are washing it everyweek so that you can unclog your pores from the day to day dirt and oils that build up over time.

Do you live in a city with harsh winter weather conditions right now?

Beyond that, use a daily moisturizer like ORS hair revitalizer, Rose H2O by mizani and use a light oil to seal your moisture.

I hope this helps.....

To be honest, though shedding everyday is natural, you may be adding on to it by not cleaning your scalp every week. That will happen to people who are natural and relaxed. I know pressing can be a headache, but if you want to wear it straight you need to make sure that you are washing it everyweek so that you can unclog your pores from the day to day dirt and oils that build up over time.

Do you live in a city with harsh winter weather conditions right now?

Beyond that, use a daily moisturizer like ORS hair revitalizer, Rose H2O by mizani and use a light oil to seal your moisture.

I hope this helps.....

Thanks. The weather has been between 30-45 degrees in the am and 50-60 degrees in the pm.

Your question is confusing. First you say breakage and then you mention shedding. Shedding and breakage are two different things. Now is your pressed hair breaking or is it shedding?

I press my hair every two weeks, and I Shikakai Hair Oil from Hairveda every other day. This keeps the dandruff away, and helps my hair to stay moisturized.

Your question is confusing. First you say breakage and then you mention shedding. Shedding and breakage are two different things. Now is your pressed hair breaking or is it shedding?

My hair is breaking. I dont see any white bulbs at the tip to indicate shedding from the root.

I noticed this too when I would go past 8 days. I'm not sure what caused it...I was thinking it needed moisture which is hard to give pressed/flatironed hair. So I thought the best thing was to just flatiron every 8-10 days (if need be).

I don't know what will work for you, but Nexxus Emergencee works for me. I use it whenever I straighten and it makes my hair stay straighter longer and I don't experience shedding or breakage. I want to try this Joico K-Pak stuff everybody raves about it has keratin in it which is supposed to be good for frizz and breakage.

Anyway...

pf_emergencee.jpg

ingredients in Nexxus Emergencee:
Polyacrylamidomethylpropane Sulfonic Acid, Water (Aqua), Collagen Amino Acids, Hydrolyzed Elastin, Propylene Glycol, Hydrolyzed Collagen, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Dmdm Hydantoin, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Methylparaben.

It's not natural at all but so far it's the only thing I've found that works.

Last edited:
Back